Author Topic: FASA closes down  (Read 1557 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
FASA closes down
« on: Wednesday, September 12, 2007, 07:09:41 PM »
How the mighty have fallen.

Thats what you get for making Shadowrun...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: FASA closes down
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 12, 2007, 07:37:58 PM »
That's weird.  I thought of FASA as a much greater thing than what MS acquired.  Evidently, though, it had all been on its way out for a while.  Only FASA Interactive remained, and now that's gone too.  Yikes.  Nothing lasts forever.  I hope at least a lesson was learned: no freaking full-priced games without any single-player content.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 12, 2007, 07:40:45 PM »
More like no freaking $60 multiplayer only game with 6 maps. Especially when it Counter Strike with magic and trolls.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 12, 2007, 07:48:34 PM »
Well shit. There goes Mechwarrior 5... probably for the better I guess. The way they were going they would have just made another Mech Assault game and called it Mechwarrior.

Still, that sucks. I'd say the lesson is based more on bad management and poor choice in game design. It's not like their game on the original Xbox did poorly at all, so they should have been okay to make one poor selling game... actually, that may be more of a sign of things to come with the nex-gen consoles. Make a game that fails and you fail, no matter how well you've done before. I can't imagine Shadowrun being all that expensive compared to other big-named outings out there, but maybe it was just enough.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 12, 2007, 08:03:05 PM »
It's called "what have you done for me lately?", and it's nothing new.  I'm not at all happy to see them go.  It's better to learn from your mistakes than to die because of them.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 12, 2007, 08:51:46 PM »
Who owns Mechwarrior IP now??? Microsoft???

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 12, 2007, 11:58:26 PM »
Dang, we had some great games from FASA.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 13, 2007, 07:11:30 AM »
The *real* FASA died long ago in my mind, anyway.

FASA unexpectedly ceased active operations in early 2001, but still exists as a corporation holding intellectual property rights, which it licenses to other publishers. Contrary to popular belief, the company did not go bankrupt. Allegedly the owners decided to quit while the company was still financially sound in a market they perceived as going downhill. Mort Weisman had been talking of retirement for some years and his confidence in the future of the paper-based games business was low. He considered the intellectual property of FASA to be of high value but did not wish to continue working as he had been for the last decade or more. Unwilling to wrestle with the complexities of dividing up the going concern, the owners issued a press release on January 25, 2001 announcing the immediate closure of the business.

I was never a fan of any of the digital stuff.  Their closure means nothing to me.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 13, 2007, 09:02:52 AM »
I've never even heard of FASA.   :-[