Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 221860 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Fallout 3 - UPDATE: FO3 has gone GOLD
« Reply #200 on: Friday, October 24, 2008, 05:10:24 PM »
They already said there's no DRM other than having the disk in the drive, D.  And yes, G4WL is just for achievements since there's no multiplayer or anything.  I don't know how that works since I've never purchased any game that had support for it, and if it's entirely optional and doesn't require me to install anything, fuck achievements.  I don't want or need any part of G4WL.
If it's anything like the one in Gears of War then it's not necessary at all for singleplayer and it looks exactly like the X360 one. Hopefully it will be non-intrusive and purely optional.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #201 on: Friday, October 24, 2008, 05:14:04 PM »
They already said there's no DRM other than having the disk in the drive, D.
Good. 

And yes, G4WL is just for achievements since there's no multiplayer or anything.
That's fine.

I don't know how that works since I've never purchased any game that had support for it, and if it's entirely optional and doesn't require me to install anything, fuck achievements.  I don't want or need any part of G4WL.
For signing-up for (free) G4WL, the easiest way is to use your Hotmail e-mail account as your G4WL account and you're basically good to go. It'll port all your info for you over automatically.

When you play a G4WL game, when you boot it up, you select what profile to use (or if you want to use none). One of them, of course, can be tied to your G4WL account. Use that -- and you'll get credit for doing any Achievements that you do. This is how GOW and Kane & Lynch both worked.

You can within the G4WL options, set it so the game always boots automatically with whatever profile you wish to desire.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #202 on: Saturday, October 25, 2008, 01:50:52 AM »
If you already have an Xbox Live gamertag byou can bind it to any e-mail account so you can login to G4WL. Unfortunately that's a "permanent" condition.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #203 on: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 02:06:45 AM »
Gametrailers has a Fallout Retrospective.  Fifteen minutes long and actually quite informative, going so far as to start with Wasteland, as it rightly should.  I never did manage to beat that game, but it was great to see the shitty graphics again.  Even back then I thought they were shitty, haha.  Good times.

NOTE - Spoilers aplenty.  If you haven't played the first two games before and really want to, don't watch.  And you really should play them if you never have.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #204 on: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 06:37:56 AM »
Excellent retrospective.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Re: Fallout 3 Thread - Updates: FO3 Manual Linked, FO Retrospective Linked
« Reply #206 on: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 07:08:26 PM »
Someone posted this on youtube.

It's a 10 minute game play video. There are no spoilers in it really. It's just some one walking around shooting some ghouls and such. Cool video. There are some sound bits of the president of the enclave making a speech of sorts. I don't think it's a spoiler, but I turned the volume down real low when I started hearing him talk just in case.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #207 on: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 07:19:19 PM »
Any subtitles when he talks?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #208 on: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 07:30:19 PM »
It isn't a spoiler, it's just the stupid radio propaganda that loops endlessly whenever you have the Enclave radio station on.  If you listen to the station you'll probably hear it 8 billion times, and it's just meaningless flavor stuff really.

The video isn't terribly exciting.  He basically just walks around, looks at stuff, shoots guys, and... walks around some more.  I suspect his character is pretty talented with light guns because he goes into VATS and lines up headshots for every single enemy and only once doesn't get a kill straight out of the gate, has a high percentage to hit most of the time.

So yeah, it's nothing to worry about spoiler-wise.  It's just a nice little video showing some mundane gameplay.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #210 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 08:32:33 AM »
I dunno' if any of y'all saw this, buy CC got some extras if you buy FO3 from them (Regular Edition or Collector's Ed; for any of the three platforms PC, PS3, or X360):
--Mini-strategy FO3 guide
--$10 CC gift card for a future purchase at CC

EDIT:
IGN will be posting their FO3 Reviews tonight at the same time as FO3's Midnight Release (East Coast time) at 12:01pm; that would be 9:01 PM Pacific for you West Coasters.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 27, 2008, 02:02:21 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Fallout 3 Thread - Updates: FO3 Manual and FO Retrospective Linked
« Reply #211 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 05:16:29 PM »
Yay for reviews.  My copy should be waiting for me when I get home from work tomorrow, and if it isn't, somebody at Amazon.com is going to die horribly by exploding like a blood sausage when I fry them with hate rays.  Can't freaking wait.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #212 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 05:44:52 PM »
I work a mid-shift tomorrow at the hospital, so I don't go in until 10:30-11am. Whereas I usually go in at 6:30am. So I can stay up late, run across the street, get my copy, and play until about 2am. Can't wait.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #214 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 07:30:24 PM »
BethSoft sent out an Email to various game online websites to pull the FO3 Trailers.

ESRB wants it removed

Bethesda Pulls Fallout 3 Marketing 'In Connection with ESRB Guidelines'
by Blake Ellison Oct 27, 2008 6:36pm CST tags: Fallout 3, ESRB

Censorship and Bethesda's Fallout 3 (PC, 360, PS3) are good friends, and the two just got a little closer: Bethesda has asked gaming websites including Shacknews to pull all trailers for the open-world RPG.

The request came from Bethesda marketing VP Pete Hines in an e-mail which is reproduced below. The e-mail is short on comment but says the request is "in connection with ESRB's advertising guidelines."

The move comes on the eve of Fallout 3's release, with thousands of retailers ready to start selling the game at midnight tonight, and follows a widely-reported public complaint regarding depictions of post-apocalyptic Washington DC in Fallout 3 ads.

The ESRB struck last year when news outlets including Shacknews were asked to remove trailers for D3 Publisher's Dark Sector, with the rating board citing "gameplay montages [which] have been deemed to contain excessive or offensive content."

The full e-mail from Hines follows:

In connection with ESRB's advertising guidelines, you are instructed to remove immediately any of our Fallout 3 trailers from your website, pending further notice.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Pete

« Last Edit: Monday, October 27, 2008, 08:25:37 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #215 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 08:35:34 PM »
One of these days I'm going to punch one of those ESRB motherfuckers right in the face.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #216 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 09:03:36 PM »
9.6 from IGN for PC version
Written review
Video review

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #217 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 09:13:15 PM »
I just downloaded (and watched) the retrospective in response to the censorship.  A lot of history there.

Edit:  Damn, that vid review has me drooling.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Re: Fallout 3 Thread - Updates: 9.6 from IGN
« Reply #218 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 09:22:28 PM »
It's installing as I type this.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #219 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 09:28:20 PM »
One of these days I'm going to punch one of those ESRB motherfuckers right in the face.
You and I man.

I don't understand why they're being pulled off the site when the site has an "age portal" when you visit. I know it can be easily bypassed by underagers but isn't it there to sate the ESRB and various other censors?

EDIT:
Scary, please give us the prognosis. Give it to us straight.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #220 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 09:28:48 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #221 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 09:32:23 PM »
I hate you. Scary.  I just checked my Amazon.com shipment a bit ago, and while it's still scheduled to arrive tomorrow, right now it's in... Tulsa.  TULSA.  Postal vans better drive fucking fast, that's all I can say.

And yes, that video review was way too enticing.  I'm all but ill.  Tomorrow is going to be excruciatingly long.

I don't know about the age gate thing, Xessive, but I still say that the ESRB should have absolutely no say in what anyone does to advertise their game.  None.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #222 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 09:34:12 PM »
I hate you. Scary.  I just checked my Amazon.com shipment a bit ago, and while it's still scheduled to arrive tomorrow, right now it's in... Tulsa.  TULSA.  Postal vans better drive fucking fast, that's all I can say.

And yes, that video review was way too enticing.  I'm all but ill.  Tomorrow is going to be excruciatingly long.

I don't know about the age gate thing, Xessive, but I still say that the ESRB should have absolutely no say in what anyone does to advertise their game.  None.

Can a company put a trailer up MINUS the ESRB rating?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #223 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »
Can a company put a trailer up MINUS the ESRB rating?

They do it all the time "This product not yet rated."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 05:35:20 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #225 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 09:41:25 PM »
They do it all the time "This product not yet rated."

But can a product do a trailer without the ESRB rating in there if it's been rated by the ESRB?

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #226 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 11:42:42 PM »
Well, so far it's awesome. I only have about an hour and half under my belt, but it seems sweet as hell. It took forever to install though, 30 minutes or so.

It feels like a Fallout game for the most part, with obvious differences. I was kind of worried about that, but Bethesda does a pretty good job in keeping in keeping with the overall tone of the Fallout games. Combat is fun, I just went into a school overran by bandits, and owned them all. VATS is awesome. I love being able to cripple NPCs, or disarm them. I shot a gun out of one guys hand, and then I shot him in his arm, so he ran over to the gun that I shot out of his hand, and picked it up with his other arm. Kind of a cool detail I noticed. then I blew his head off, which looks dope. The violence is nice and over the top like I like it. I foresee things dying in comical ways with this.

It's great so far. Can't wait to dive into it tomorrow. But I have to crash. Tomorrow is going to be the longest day at work, damn.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #227 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 05:06:10 AM »
Well, so far it's awesome. I only have about an hour and half under my belt, but it seems sweet as hell. It took forever to install though, 30 minutes or so.

It feels like a Fallout game for the most part, with obvious differences. I was kind of worried about that, but Bethesda does a pretty good job in keeping in keeping with the overall tone of the Fallout games.
That's what I expect of it -- it would still look and feel like Fallout, but with the cross of real-time and the turn-based style of VATS.

Combat is fun, I just went into a school overran by bandits, and owned them all. VATS is awesome. I love being able to cripple NPCs, or disarm them. I shot a gun out of one guys hand, and then I shot him in his arm, so he ran over to the gun that I shot out of his hand, and picked it up with his other arm. Kind of a cool detail I noticed.
That's awesome.

then I blew his head off, which looks dope. The violence is nice and over the top like I like it. I foresee things dying in comical ways with this.
Ahhhhh.
Just the way I like it.
I have to get Bloody Mess!!!

I can't wait to see this violent deaths in full 3D on modern engine and hardware.

They still look hella sweet in the old 2D classic FO 1 and 2. :)

It's great so far. Can't wait to dive into it tomorrow. But I have to crash. Tomorrow is going to be the longest day at work, damn.
Ahhh, man @ you have to go to work. :(
I so can't wait to go get this.
Totally itching for this.
BAD.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 05:35:40 AM by MysterD »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #228 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 05:39:52 AM »
4 out of 5 stars at Giantbomb and it seems like Jeff tears into it more than he would like. The problems he mentions are pretty worrisome to me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #230 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 06:57:22 AM »
Oh, Jeff, you lazy douchebag.  About half of his complaints can be attributed to the original Fallout games as well, or his own ineptitude.  It's the usual kind of shit that makes me not like Jeff as a reviewer at all, not because I think he's a terrible writer or a bad guy or doesn't have insight, but because he whines about shit that shouldn't matter.  He doesn't like the way the game autosaves, yet openly admits the situation he was complaining about came about because he didn't save his game.  Well, whose fault is that, Jeff?  Yes, let's blame the game for not saving for you properly.  He doesn't like the encumbrance system.  Well, make a character with more strength, Jeff.  Inventory management was a huge deal in the first two games, and it was often annoying as hell.  You always had more stuff than you could possibly use and had to be pickier about what you'd carry into the wastes.  Pick up every gun and bit of ammo you find and you're sure to get nowhere fast.

I think his complaints with VATS are probably valid, though.  Looking at videos and stuff, I'm getting the impression that it makes the game far too easy and that 99% of people will be picking whatever headshot perks there are so they can just use VATS, aim for the head, kill dude, end combat.  Which sounds awful.  So I'm a little disappointed in the way that may work out, though obviously I'll reserve final judgment until I play it for myself.  I'm guessing that to some degree this may be a problem because Bethesda wanted people to know this wasn't just some FPS and that all the non-combat skills actually are important and do matter to the game and your character, so they may have overcompensated a little to make it more attractive to pick some non-combat options?  I don't know.  Still, if that turns out to be less than perfect, it'll get modded out.  It isn't a complaint for everyone, though, so it may have to do more with the kind of character you end up playing.

One of the commenters made an interesting point, though.  He gave GTAIV unabashed high scores despite technical flaws, but seemed to focus more on the flaws for FO3.  My guess is it's because there's no hip-hop in it or gangsta rappers he can try to impersonate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #231 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 08:02:03 AM »
Oh, Jeff, you lazy douchebag.  About half of his complaints can be attributed to the original Fallout games as well, or his own ineptitude.  It's the usual kind of shit that makes me not like Jeff as a reviewer at all, not because I think he's a terrible writer or a bad guy or doesn't have insight, but because he whines about shit that shouldn't matter.  He doesn't like the way the game autosaves, yet openly admits the situation he was complaining about came about because he didn't save his game.  Well, whose fault is that, Jeff?
That's Jeff's fault.
Regular Save and Quicksave more often.
(I do lots of both).

Yes, let's blame the game for not saving for you properly.
What does Jeff want? 3 or 4 Special autosave slots (that'll keep overwriting itself)?
Actually, that's not a bad idea; hehe.

He doesn't like the encumbrance system.  Well, make a character with more strength, Jeff.  Inventory management was a huge deal in the first two games, and it was often annoying as hell.  You always had more stuff than you could possibly use and had to be pickier about what you'd carry into the wastes.
Most RPG's work like this -- Diablo, TQ, and Silverfall are kings of this, as there's so much unique loot to find, you'll wind up just leaving shit behind. Though, all three of those actually have a fast-travelling / teleportation system, if you really want to milk it and make some money.

I don't see what the problem w/ this for Jeff is -- 90% of RPG's have the encumbrance thing. Well, except probably Gothic series. Christ, the Nameless Hero carries 14 houses, if you want. LOL.

Often, I spend lots of time micro-managing and deciding what to take.

Pick up every gun and bit of ammo you find and you're sure to get nowhere fast.
Same goes for STALKER series, too.

I think his complaints with VATS are probably valid, though.  Looking at videos and stuff, I'm getting the impression that it makes the game far too easy and that 99% of people will be picking whatever headshot perks there are so they can just use VATS, aim for the head, kill dude, end combat.  Which sounds awful.  So I'm a little disappointed in the way that may work out, though obviously I'll reserve final judgment until I play it for myself.  I'm guessing that to some degree this may be a problem because Bethesda wanted people to know this wasn't just some FPS and that all the non-combat skills actually are important and do matter to the game and your character, so they may have overcompensated a little to make it more attractive to pick some non-combat options?  I don't know.  Still, if that turns out to be less than perfect, it'll get modded out.  It isn't a complaint for everyone, though, so it may have to do more with the kind of character you end up playing.
I wonder how easy or hard the game will be to go through it without even using VATS.

Hey, that would make an interesting Achievement -- beat the game one time through without using VATS. Did BethSoft think up that one?

One of the commenters made an interesting point, though.  He gave GTAIV unabashed high scores despite technical flaws, but seemed to focus more on the flaws for FO3.  My guess is it's because there's no hip-hop in it or gangsta rappers he can try to impersonate.
ROFL @ that last comment.

I just came back from CC and they had the FO3: CE for the consoles only, but not the damn PC version. Umm...WTH? I should've called. I'll check back later with CC (around 2pm, they said to check). If not, BB is getting my money -- as they had a pretty good amount of copies of the FO3: CE PC there.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #232 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 08:57:08 AM »
Well this thread is fucked, later.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #233 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 09:54:02 AM »
Pyro, you can pick and choose what to read inside threads.  You're not required to read whole threads.  Just FYI.

;)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #234 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 10:35:34 AM »
lol pyro.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #235 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 10:40:44 AM »
Skimming past my long posts are always a good idea. :P

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #236 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »
Any word on length? I'm still debating wether or not I should pick this up.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #237 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 02:46:51 PM »
I've read 12-18 hours. However you won't see everything in one play through so its got some replay value.

Lucky me, I won a little contest and a copy of the game. Because I'm a little proud of it, I will tell you details.

The contest:
I usually use Amazon.com for these, so I'm going to stick to it for tonight's contest also. So if you need the game tomorrow, please don't apply, because it should go to someone who prefers a hard copy sent to them rather than getting it on Steam or D2D, etc. Also since this is the PCGB, this is only for the PC version.

Contest:

Create a small poem where every word starts with the letter S and ends in "ing". The best sentence wins.
My entry:
Steaming: splurging, swindling, saddening.
Selecting shipping: satisfying.
So woo! I'll have the game in a few days but probably can't play until the end of next week.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #238 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 02:50:27 PM »
Oh, awesome.  Congrats, man!  I'm jealous.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
Cool man. Grats.

I just got off of work. Longest day ever. So I'm about to get some grub and dive back into the game.