Author Topic: NWN 2: Mask - Update: Patch 1.13 released (thanks Xessive!)  (Read 20762 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer Expansion -- Update: NEW Interview w/ GameSpot
« Reply #40 on: Monday, April 30, 2007, 11:18:23 PM »
Hallelujah! I like what I'm reading so far!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, May 03, 2007, 02:58:42 PM »
The other day, on the NWN2: Mask forum, I posed the question of -- "Who is the composer for NWN2: Mask?"

Well, Adam of Obsidian gave an interesting response to it....

Quote from: Adam Brennecke of Obsidian
I'm super excited about the new music and sound for MotB. I really enjoyed the OC's music. I just wish we had more of it.

So, we have a composer for MotB, but I'm not sure if we are going to do a formal announcement or not so I'll keep my mouth shut. If you guys are good at using Google you should be able to find some interesting information...

I'll leave that exercise up to you!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, May 03, 2007, 03:05:58 PM »
I hope there is some actual new music this time. One really annoying thing was how the old music kept being used more and more often as you got further into the game . It is like they used all the new music for the first portion of the game, and they just got lazy and started recycling as the game progressed.

I hope someone makes a thread demanding they not recycle music.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, May 03, 2007, 08:28:31 PM »
Rumor has it that Grobnar is scoring NWN2: Mask.  :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #44 on: Friday, May 04, 2007, 12:16:20 AM »
That looks really cool. Hey I had a question. Since I maxed out my arcane archer prestige class, can I do another without penalties?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Friday, June 08, 2007, 01:46:01 PM »
FiringSquad has a new interview w/ Obsidian's Kevin Saunders

Obsidian Entertainment took over where BioWare left off with the release last fall of Neverwinter Nights 2, the sequel to the Dungeons and Dragons based fantasy RPG. Now Obsidian is working hard on their first commercial expansion for the game, Mask Of The Betrayer, that will be published by Atari this fall. FiringSquad got a chance to chat with Obsidian's lead designer Kevin Saunders to find out more about their plans for the expansion pack:

FiringSquad: First, was Obsidian happy with how Neverwinter Nights 2 turned out and how it was received by fans?

Kevin Saunders: Many people did terrific work on NWN2 and the team's accomplishments were pretty amazing. We did not achieve the level of polish with NWN2 that we would have liked. We've since made major improvements with the updates and NX1 will bring more overall improvements on top of the new story and campaign. Fans received NWN2 well and we hope to entertain them further with NX1.
I'm glad Obsidian keeps pointing out they we're happy w/ how polished the game turned out. How many dev's you know that do that?!?!?!

And then, bank out patches like crazy to fix things and add features????

FiringSquad: When the time came to develop the expansion pack, what were the development team's main goals?

Kevin Saunders: From a production perspective, a primary goal was to carefully manage the scope of the project so that we would be able to polish the game as much as we'd like. We pushed ourselves to put as much into the game as possible, but without overreaching. We made quality of greater importance than quantity, despite the fact that our campaign is looking to be about 20 hours of game play.
20 hours sounds fine to me -- as long as there's a lot of engaging and cool stuff to do.

For programming, the emphasis has been on both supporting the core NX1 design and improving the overall quality of NWN2 and its toolset for the community's use.

From an art perspective, we wanted to leverage our experience with the NWN2 engine to create even more impressive vistas, creatures, and characters than NWN2 had.

From a design perspective, we wanted to provide closure to the story/character from NWN2, add new assets and features that would benefit the NWN2 community, craft an engrossing and personal story with intriguing characters, and accurately and richly portray a relatively unexplored section of Faer�n.
Sweet.

FiringSquad: What can you tell us about the storyline for Mask of the Betrayer?

Kevin Saunders: We (creative lead designer George Ziets, that is) crafted a story that�s both epic and personal. Even more so than Obsidian's previous products, the story is woven into the game play. It includes Red Wizards of Thay, at least one god, and a lot of major decisions. The story is quite dark, but has its optimistic moments.
Wo0t for dark tone!!!

FiringSquad: Will there be any new playable characters or races put into the expansion?

Kevin Saunders: We are adding several new classes and races, including the genasi, which are planetouched hailing from the elemental planes. And your assortment of companions will include some very unique and interesting options.
Cool.

FiringSquad: What sort of new locations and setting will the expansion have?

Kevin Saunders: The primary location of NX1 is Rashemen, in the eastern section of Faer�n and near the border of Thay. But throughout the course of the game, you'll travel to some other exotic locales, including other planes. But the story isn't especially about planar travel.
Sweet.

FiringSquad: What are the development team's favorite new monsters in Mask of the Betrayer?

Kevin Saunders: This isn't a new creature, but everyone loves the chicken's new flying kick attack that animator Andrea Bobick created. Why would a chicken need to be able to do a flying kick, you ask? You'll see... =)
What the hell???

FiringSquad: What other new features will the expansion pack have?

Kevin Saunders: There's one major gameplay system that we've developed with Wizards of the Coast. It's not something from D&D, but it's D&D flavored. This new feature has both combat and conversation implications and is intimately tied into the story and characters. We'll be releasing more information in the near future.
Okay.

We implemented many other new features, most of which are to further polish the NWN2 experience for both the player and for the content creator using the toolset. For example, we added the ability to use any 2D graphic as a custom portrait for creatures instead of the automatically generated 3D portraits.
Yay for 2D portraits can be used again!!!

I always liked having my self pic as my portrait for games -- like I did w/ NWN + expansions and BG series.

And, of course, we added a lot on the gameplay side, including over 50 new spells, over 50 new feats, new items, crafting system enhancements, etc.
Nice.

FiringSquad: Will there be any graphical improvements made for the expansion pack?

Kevin Saunders: Absolutely. We learned a lot throughout the course of NWN2 and have been able to apply that experience to get even more out of the graphics engine. The environments, creatures - all of it is stunning. NX1 looks like it got a major graphics upgrade over NWN2, but the system requirements are the same. In fact, we completed a lot of optimization in the first couple updates to NWN2, so NX1 will both look better and run more smoothly than NWN2 did at launch. We have made some technical improvements to the graphics engine as well, including improved specularity and more advanced sky boxes.
I hope you guys improved performance even more so on it -- it might've looked great, but on and off, it still ran all over the place; at least it runs less "all over the place" than it did originally.

FiringSquad: What is the current status of the expansion's progress and when will it be released?

Kevin Saunders: We just achieved a full progression of the game. From here on in, it's all about polishing. Atari has announced a release date of Fall, 2007.
YAY!!!

FiringSquad: Is there any rumblings at all on Atari publishing a Neverwinter Nights 3?

Kevin Saunders: As you might expect, I'm not permitted to actually answer this question directly. I'd love to work on a Neverwinter Nights 3.
I would like to see Obsidian do NWN3, myself.

FiringSquad: Finally is there anything else you wish to say about Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer?

Kevin Saunders: When you're considering games for awards at the end of 2007, please don't group Mask of the Betrayer into the "expansion" category. =) Yeah, I'm pretty sure it will be priced as one and you do need the original game to play. But with both the quality and quantity of the new content, we can contend with the "full" titles for best RPG of 2007.
Okay.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, July 04, 2007, 11:36:15 AM »
Rob McGinnis, on his blog, mentions the changes that Mask of The Betrayer will being to the game's CAMERA system.

MoTB Camera Changes
In Mask of The Betrayer, we will be implementing something called Play Modes. This will replace the current camera/control scheme in NWN2 with something a little bit more streamlined. Basically, there will be two play modes that can be configured from the Game Options screen - Character Mode and Strategy Mode. These modes will affect both the function of the camera and the controls for each mode, and are designed to be most efficient for the two primary styles of play – controlling a single character, and controlling a full party.

In Character Mode, the camera follows behind and over the shoulder of the currently controlled character. This mode is useful for getting a good look at your surroundings and exploring an area while focused on controlling an individual character.
While in Character Mode, by default, holding the Left Mouse Button down and moving the mouse to the left or right will turn the character. You can also turn by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen. Holding down the Middle Mouse Button or pressing the Arrow keys will allow you to rotate the camera around the currently controlled character.

Strategy Mode is a top down Play Mode that is intended to make controlling a full party easier. This mode is most useful for controlling combat situations involving a full party of characters against a large number of enemies.
In Strategy Mode, by default, you can hold the Left Mouse Button to have your character move towards the mouse cursor. You can rotate the camera either by holding the Middle Mouse Button and moving the mouse, by moving the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen, or by pressing the Arrow Keys.
Strategy Mode can also be configured to play more like a Real-Time Strategy game, with the camera unfocused from the currently character and with Marquee Select - the ability to click and drag a box around a character to control individual or multiple characters. Please see the Options Menu section for more details.

It's important to remember, that this functionality is a Work in Progress and may change before the release of the Mask of The Betrayer expansion.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer Expansion -- Update: NEW Camera modes changes
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, July 04, 2007, 03:15:06 PM »
Many people who played NWN2 didn't care too much for the camera system in place w/ NWN2 -- hence why I mentioned it. The NWN2 cams weren't that responsive and lacked some of the better cam modes found in the original NWN -- that was until NWN2's 1.03 patch. Personally, I think the cam system was fine, after they added back some of the modes found in the original NWN back into NWN2's Version 1.03.

Most of the OTHER info there on Rob's blog on Mask, we already knew about -- so, why repeat myself on here??? We didn't know really until now that they were changing NWN2's cams, so it's worth mentioning this now.

Check the rest of this thread and previews anywhere else that has info on NWN2: Mask, if you want to see that there's a hell of a lot more than camera system changes going on w/ NWN2: Mask.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, July 05, 2007, 02:44:00 AM »
I'm kinda considering reinstalling NWN2.. But I know I won't play it much.. I'm really in the mood for a coop game, something with a lot of action and a lot of fun on a LAN.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, July 07, 2007, 11:10:35 AM »
IGN Interviews Feargus of Obsidian on the upcoming NWN2: Mask Expansion, due sometime this Fall.

IGN: The inventory system in NWN2 was inconvenient at best, are you making any overhauls for the expansion? Will those overhauls be retroactive for the base game?

Feargus Urquhart: To be honest, I'm not sure yet if we will be able to overhaul the inventory system before we ship the expansion. It's on our list of things to do and pretty high on there as well. We did address this issue some for the official campaign in Mask of the Betrayer by revisiting how we handle loot and crafting - you'll have less inventory clutter and more interesting items.
I wasn't the biggest fan of NWN2's Inventory system...

...but it would be nice if they eventually do allow you to split Inventory up into looking at only certain types like Gothic 3 or Oblivion -- like Armor, Weapons, Spells, Misc, etc.

They should take notes from Gothic and Oblivion and go do that! :P

I'm glad it's on their list of things to change.

IGN: What are the expansion plans after Mask of the Betrayer? Another retail box or working on NWN 3?

Feargus Urquhart: Not sure yet. I can say that we love working on D&D games at Obsidian and if it's in the cards to do more then you'll probably see us doing them.
I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian were to develop another NWN2 Expansion and  NWN3, myself.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 15, 2007, 02:23:24 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer Expansion -- Update: IGN interviews Feargus Urqu
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, July 08, 2007, 01:40:46 AM »
That's sounds great! I'm really glad they're actually revamping the inventory!

I just reinstalled NWN2, and I realized an irritating patch related problem. Apparently the full 100788 to 105912 patch is flawed and missing some of the fixes from the previous patches. So doing a standard online update is a no-go, and Obsidian recommend that you download the offline patches and manually update the game:

Patch from 100788 to 104860
Patch from 104860 to 104870
Patch from 104870 to 105910
Patch from 105910 to 105912

And then go with the online update.

I don't know why it hasn't been addressed or simply rerouted to tell the auto-updater to use the individual updates rather than the big flawed chunk.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer Expansion -- Update: IGN interviews Feargus Urqu
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, July 15, 2007, 02:11:11 PM »
14 minutes of Feargus showing off NWN2: Mask of The Betrayer to GameSpot...

...He talks and shows off some new features, such as...
--The two new cam modes
--New races
--The way the game starts, story-wise
--System requirements; He said it'll probably be 2.4 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, and a Pixel Shader 2.0 Card (High GeForce 5 series or ATI Radeon 9800 Pro)

About the two new cam modes, "character mode" looks like it'll play like SW: KOTOR did -- a behind the character cam mode where you move the character around, manually. The "strategy cam" mode looks like the old school top-down mode you'd see in a RTS or strategy-RPG game (think like BG or WCIII).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #54 on: Monday, July 16, 2007, 08:01:01 AM »
14 minutes of Feargus showing off NWN2: Mask of The Betrayer to GameSpot...

...He talks and shows off some new features, such as...
--The two new cam modes
--New races
--The way the game starts, story-wise
--System requirements; He said it'll probably be 2.4 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, and a Pixel Shader 2.0 Card (High GeForce 5 series or ATI Radeon 9800 Pro)

About the two new cam modes, "character mode" looks like it'll play like SW: KOTOR did -- a behind the character cam mode where you move the character around, manually. The "strategy cam" mode looks like the old school top-down mode you'd see in a RTS or strategy-RPG game (think like BG or WCIII).

Isn't the "strategy cam" already in the game (except without the selection box)? The only real significant difference is the "Character Cam" is restricted to the geometry (like most 3rd person games).. Otherwise I don't think they altered the controls so that you can actually steer with the mouse as in KotOR. I still don't understand why that's difficult to do! That's the way the "Driving cam" should be!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Monday, July 16, 2007, 02:13:27 PM »
Isn't the "strategy cam" already in the game (except without the selection box)? The only real significant difference is the "Character Cam" is restricted to the geometry (like most 3rd person games).. Otherwise I don't think they altered the controls so that you can actually steer with the mouse as in KotOR. I still don't understand why that's difficult to do! That's the way the "Driving cam" should be!
I dunno if they nixed the other cams, such as The Free Cam.

Well, you can move your character around WSAD by default -- you always could in Aurora-based games, NWN and NWN2.

The Top Down Cam seems to be a lot like "Strategy Cam", it seems like.

SW: KOTOR games were made off a modified version of Aurora. Had a different name; I can't recall it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: NWN 2: Mask (Expansion) - Update: 14 min preview w/ Feargus Urquhart from G-
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 06:59:14 AM »
I dunno if they nixed the other cams, such as The Free Cam.

Well, you can move your character around WSAD by default -- you always could in Aurora-based games, NWN and NWN2.

The Top Down Cam seems to be a lot like "Strategy Cam", it seems like.

SW: KOTOR games were made off a modified version of Aurora. Had a different name; I can't recall it.

Yeah I generally use WSAD when I can't be bother to click locations Diablo-style.. But in KotOR I can use the mouse to street my character like most 3rd person games. The controls in NWN2 are character relative, as opposed to camera relative as in KotOR.

The Top Down cam is the standard one just like in NWN1, but I mean there is a whole other cam mode (can't remember what it's called, maybe Free Cam) but the cam doesn't follow the selected character and it behaves a lot like a common RTS view.

I'm really looking forward to the enhancements the expansion will bring, especially performance related ones!

So far the biggest performance drain on my system is the shadows. When I switch the shadows to simple or off I get a huge framerate boost!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: NWN 2: Mask (Expansion) - Update: 14 min preview w/ Feargus Urquhart from G-
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 01:39:43 PM »
Yeah I generally use WSAD when I can't be bother to click locations Diablo-style.. But in KotOR I can use the mouse to street my character like most 3rd person games. The controls in NWN2 are character relative, as opposed to camera relative as in KotOR.

The Top Down cam is the standard one just like in NWN1, but I mean there is a whole other cam mode (can't remember what it's called, maybe Free Cam) but the cam doesn't follow the selected character and it behaves a lot like a common RTS view.
W/ Free Cam, it's over-the-top and the cam doesn't follow a character. It goes...well, wherever you slide it -- not even near your characters, if you like. It's like a 2D isometric over-the-top cam -- like you can use in BG and PS:T -- when you don't have the cam set for centered on character, and you just pan the camera along left, right, forward, or back.

I don't use Free Cam in NWN2. I find it useless, for the most part.

I'm really looking forward to the enhancements the expansion will bring, especially performance related ones!

So far the biggest performance drain on my system is the shadows. When I switch the shadows to simple or off I get a huge framerate boost!
Oh, shadows in especially this game -- and usually in most games, actually -- are a killer.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, July 26, 2007, 04:17:03 PM »
GameSpot interviews Feargus of Obsidian on NWN 2: Mask.

All about a companion in NWN2 Mask expansion.
(click to show/hide)

FU: A lot of the feedback we got about the single-player campaign came down to one of two things: How we implemented the D&D rules and the satisfaction that one got from the ending of the game. We're continually working on the game based on comments we get from people about how we've implemented the rules.

We also often pose questions to the community as to what they would like to see. As we get that feedback from them and from our own continual play of the game, we are adding in changes to update both NWN2 and the expansion. As for the ending, we want everyone to feel a sense of closure with the ending of Mask of the Betrayer--in a good way. We don't want them to have too many questions. So, we've already designed and implemented the ending of the expansion and have started to play through it. Based upon those play-throughs, we are going to make sure it's the ending that everyone would like to see for how they approached the rest of the game. There are, of course, multiple endings, and we're working hard to make each conclusion satisfying.
Multiple endings.....sweet! Sounds good to me!!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Mask of the Betrayer Fact Sheet
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 01:51:24 PM »
Platform: Windows
Release Date: Autumn 2007
Developer: Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.
Publisher: Atari
Category: Role Playing Game
PEGI Rating: 12+

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

Following the climactic battle against the King of Shadows, you awaken alone and stranded deep beneath the earth. A dark hunger grows within you, threatening to devour your very soul. Will you fight against the hunger within or will you embrace it, revelling in your newfound power?

Set in harsh, spirit-rich Rashemen, near the powerful nation of Thay, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer presents players with an exciting new 20-30+ hour campaign filled with meaningful choices, rich characters, and surprising outcomes. Continue the adventure of your Neverwinter Nights 2 character or create a completely new epic hero – no previous Neverwinter Nights experience required. Hundreds of new gameplay options include epic levels; feats, spells, races, and classes; powerful weapons, armour, and crafting options; and hordes of diverse creatures.

PRODUCT FEATURES:

• Major improvements to the Neverwinter Nights franchise: enhanced graphics, including extensive use of specularity, environment effects, and normal maps; improved performance; streamlined party control; and an easier to use and more powerful toolset. Experience Neverwinter Nights 2 at its best.

• Epic storyline provides the most riveting RPG experience since Planescape: Torment, with the compelling characters and plotlines for which Obsidian Entertainment is renowned. Play the official campaign either alone or online with your friends.

• Stunning new environments include the Astral Plane, sunken Imaskari ruins, a Thayan wizard academy, and the Shadow Plane. Immerse yourself in the Forgotten Realms as you’ve never seen it before.

• Explore an amazingly reactive world, where your decisions affect those around you and the passage of time realistically impacts gameplay.

• Switch seamlessly between exploration and tactical combat with the immersive, over the shoulder view of Character Mode and the top down perspective of Strategy Mode with its RTS-like controls.

• Combat and negotiate with dozens of new creatures including many D&D favourites such as blue dragons, treants, hags, solars, and the two-headed fell troll.

• Choose from over 20 classic and exotic D&D races, including the new genasi: planetouched humanoids hailing from the elemental planes of air, earth, fire, or water.

• Customize your character with over 60 epic feats including the monk’s Blazing Aura, the rogue’s Epic Precision, and the druid’s Dragon Shape.

• Master more than 50 new spells, including epic spells such as mass fowl, damnation, and vampiric feast.

• Play new D&D classes such as the Red Wizard of Thay, spirit shaman, and invisible blade.

• Collect souls from defeated foes to create mighty artefacts using an expanded item enchantment system.

• Create your own D&D adventures to play with friends online with enhanced modding tools.

Source: GameBanshee

Some pretty interesting new features! I'm personally really looking forward to the enhanced engine as well as some co-op multiplayer!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, September 15, 2007, 07:46:19 PM »
NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer expansion pack goes GOLD.

Expect it to be out around Oct 2nd in the US, late Sept. for Europe.

Gold - Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer [September 15, 2007, 2:02 pm ET] - Viewing Comments

The Neverwinter Nights 2 Vault (thanks Fion) has news that the Mask of the Betrayer expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2 is now gold for both the US and Europe, and expected to arrive in stores on October 9 in North America and "late September" in Europe. On a related note, the NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer Website is live.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: NWN 2: Mask (Expansion) -- Update: GOLDEN; due Oct 2 in USA, Late Sept in Eu
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, September 15, 2007, 11:31:36 PM »
Sweet! And just in time! I'm building my new system!

I'm still not decided on the video card, but here are my current core components:

Mobo: Asus P5W DH, Intel 975X Chipset
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750
RAM: 2 GB DDR2

It should be built just in time to receive MotB!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: NWN 2: Mask (Expansion) -- Update: GOLDEN; due Oct 2 in USA, Late Sept in Eu
« Reply #62 on: Sunday, September 16, 2007, 06:32:59 AM »
Very nice!

I bet Mask will run nice on your beast of a PC! :)

Hopefully, Mask will be optimized way more so and run hell of a lot better than NWN2: Original Campaign did.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: NWN 2: Mask (Expansion) -- Update: GOLDEN; due Oct 2 in USA, Late Sept in Europe
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, September 16, 2007, 08:08:29 AM »
Sweet! And just in time! I'm building my new system!

I'm still not decided on the video card, but here are my current core components:

Mobo: Asus P5W DH, Intel 975X Chipset
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750
RAM: 2 GB DDR2

It should be built just in time to receive MotB!

Hey Xessive, I'd highly recommend the 8800 GTS 320 at the very least. There is a new 8800 coming in November from what I know though.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, September 16, 2007, 09:58:03 AM »

Hey Xessive, I'd highly recommend the 8800 GTS 320 at the very least. There is a new 8800 coming in November from what I know though.
Honestly I'd rather avoid nVidia unless I'm all out of options. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a video card either (my budget is around $300).

Honestly I love ATi hardware, and even then I have no desire to go for the HD2000 series (mainly because of my personal policy to never buy the first generation of anything), so I'm seriously considering the Radeon X1950 XT (which I believe is currently ranked on par with the GeForce 8600 GTS).

Anyway, back to the hot topic.. MotB should include some nice graphical and performance enhancements which I hope to take full advantage of :D

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: NWN 2: Mask (Expansion) -- Update: GOLDEN; due Oct 2 in USA, Late Sept in Europe
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, September 16, 2007, 10:17:38 AM »
The 8800GTS 320 MB is much more powerful than the x1900xt and about $260 on newegg. :)

In the middle east it is going for $310.

Do check this thread:

http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=2608.0

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, September 16, 2007, 12:13:46 PM »
The 8800GTS 320 MB is much more powerful than the x1900xt and about $260 on newegg. :)

In the middle east it is going for $310.

Do check this thread:

http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=2608.0
Yeah, now I've got something to think about. If I can find it for a decent price around here I may just go ahead and make the move to nVidia. I'll have to see what the best offer is in the stores.

Thanks Pug ;D

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #68 on: Monday, September 17, 2007, 10:42:31 PM »
Meh too late already picked up the 8800 GTS 320mb for about $350 USD (best offer in the U.A.E. right now). It was just above my intended budget but well worth it.

Built my new system now I gonna configure it and update the BIOS when I get back from work today.

And soon NWN2: MotB!!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: Patch 1.10 Released for NWN2 Vanilla;will be also on
« Reply #70 on: Saturday, September 29, 2007, 10:48:29 PM »
Beauitfuuul!

I can 'ardly wait fer the expansion!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #71 on: Sunday, September 30, 2007, 06:57:50 AM »
Me too.
I am lookin' forward to it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: Patch 1.10 Released for NWN2 Vanilla;will be also on Mask
« Reply #72 on: Sunday, September 30, 2007, 12:28:14 PM »
I've seen it in stores here already. Has it been released in Europe quicker?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Sunday, September 30, 2007, 08:06:06 PM »
Well, well -- there's already some issues w/ MOTB overseas, already...

Looks like everybody planning to buy MOTB should update NOW to Version 1.10, then install MOTB afterwards, then install the newly released HOT FIX FILE -- there's all kinds of issues for both the Original Campaign (OC game will likely be broken) and the expansion (some missing text issues), if you don't actually do it THIS way, according to Rob McGinnis of Obsidian....

Neverwinter Nights 2 Community Update
September 29, 2007

We have had a busy week with the release of Mask of The Betrayer and the 1.10 patch. As such, the update had to be pushed back slightly, hence the Saturday update this week. For this update we will talk a bit about the 1.10 patch, Mask of The Betrayer and take a look at a veritable cornucopia of community-made custom content.

1.10 Patch
The 1.10 patch was released this week. It is the 1.07 patch with only data fixes, to cut down on any issues that could arise with MoTB since MoTB went to the manufacturer and distributor before 1.10 could be released. As always, we would love to hear your constructive comments on it and we have a thread going in the NWN2 general form on the Bioware site for you to report any bugs you may encounter with the patch.

As a general rule though, for this patch, if you are having any issues, particularly with performance or graphics anomalies, take a couple moments to rename the Neverwinter Nights 2 folder in your My Documents directory and start the game again to see if the issue is still happening. This often clears out any conflicts you have with files, hacks and overrides and will fix most issues.

Mask of The Betrayer
Mask of The Betrayer has been released in Europe and our friends over the pond seem to be enjoying it! The story in Mask is quite a bit darker than the previous NWN titles and introduces a new mechanic to the game: your character is cursed! We have also ratcheted up the difficulty in the game and I am hearing that many feel it is the most difficult D&D game yet: they really have to think through their encounters - no more breezing your way through.
Oooooh....it's gonna be difficult....

It won't be long before it is released in America and Australia shortly thereafter. I know it's difficult, but we will have to put up with the European's teasing just a little while longer.
Okay.

MoTB Missing Text Fix
Many are reporting an issue with missing text in MoTB. Please see this post in the Bioware forums for a hot fix.

Now, this is ALL in regards to the hot fix issue, to solve MOTB's Missing Text issues...

When installing MoTB, please use the following instructions:

1. Install NWN2
2. Patch NWN2 to the latest version (1.10 as of Sept. 29, 2007)
3. Install Mask of The Betrayer
4. Download and apply the hot fix for your language, listed below.

Italian: Click Here
French: Click Here
German: Click Here
English: Click Here
Spanish: Click Here

If you do not apply the hot fixes, when you attempt to play the game you will see sections of missing text and the Campaign name will say it is undefined.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: All kinds of Patch 1.10 Issues for MOTB Owners overse
« Reply #75 on: Sunday, September 30, 2007, 11:17:42 PM »
Well that's disappointing. And it doesn't help that auto-patching from online is bugged too.

So basically my instructions are:
1. Install NWN2
2. Patch NWN2
  • Update the auto-updater to v1.09
  • Download the individual patch zips to the NWN2 installation directory
  • Disconnect from the internet and manually update NWN2 to the latest version (v1.10)
3. Install Mask of The Betrayer
4. Apply the hot fix

I guess the good news is I've already downloaded all the patch archives (total ~300MB).

I was honestly hoping I could just install NWN2 vanilla and then just MotB on top and it will bring it up to date.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: All kinds of Patch 1.10 Issues for MOTB Owners overseas
« Reply #76 on: Monday, October 01, 2007, 05:08:32 AM »
So wait, I didn't download the patch cause I just wanted to wait for the CD etc. This is insane. Is the patch not on the CD?

Also someone needs to create a torrent for those patches.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: All kinds of Patch 1.10 Issues for MOTB Owners overse
« Reply #77 on: Monday, October 01, 2007, 06:08:20 AM »
So wait, I didn't download the patch cause I just wanted to wait for the CD etc. This is insane. Is the patch not on the CD?
Even though MOTB comes w/ 1.10, but that version on that disc has DATA issues -- namely, by installing MOTB, two things WILL happen:

1. Installing MOTB botches NWN2: OC's data files.
This is why Rob said to put Patch 1.10 (this would be the version you'd get ONLINE, not the version on the MOTB disc) FIRST, so that MOTB won't botch THOSE files, in case you actually want to play OC again.

2. Installing MOTB does have some missing MOTB data -- missing text files.
So, this is why you put their Hot Fix in lastly, to fix that problem.

BUT, from what I gather, people are STILL having problems galore, even if they follow Rob's directions as is.
Read here -- Part 1.
And Read here -- Part 2.

Also someone needs to create a torrent for those patches.

All NWN2 patches should be on IGN's NWVault.
I'll find it for you all -- I put that link in the other NWN2 thread, but I can't find it!
Gimmie time! I'll get y'all it!

EDIT, 9:58am (my time zone):
This is where all the NWN2 patches are hosted in the NWVault.

Note that Patch 1.10 isn't up there, yet....

« Last Edit: Monday, October 01, 2007, 06:59:07 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #78 on: Monday, October 01, 2007, 06:20:04 AM »
I was honestly hoping I could just install NWN2 vanilla and then just MotB on top and it will bring it up to date.
I think we all were....This is a big "WTF?" kind of mess, right now...

Good job, Obsidian.... *sarcastic*

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #79 on: Monday, October 01, 2007, 12:06:58 PM »
Ok, curiosity got the best of me. I just reinstalled NWN2, applied all the offline patches and brought it up to v1.10. There are some significant differences in this update! The most notable being the implementation of the Character and Strategy camera modes. All in all I'm impressed with the changes, yet still dismayed at the whole MotB mess.

I don't get it, couldn't they have put in a little utility that check your version of NWN2 and applies the appropriate updates (which would be on the disc)? Kinda like a variant of the auto-updater.