Author Topic: NWN 2: Mask - Update: Patch 1.13 released (thanks Xessive!)  (Read 20763 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: Patch 1.11 Planned for Monday with lots of MoTB fixes
« Reply #80 on: Monday, October 01, 2007, 12:17:47 PM »
I like the idea that in future patches, we'll be able to change our CUSTOM Portraits as much as we like! Very cool!

Link

Coming Soon!
So many of you have seen we have talked about the ability to use custom portraits instead of the default 3d portraits of NWN2. For those with MoTB installed, you can see that we have used this for the companions and other creatures.

Right now, there is no easy way to set the portraits for characters as you could during character creation in NWN1, so we started work on a system to allow this. But, after some discussions we felt that Persistent World Players needed something more. For those of you that don't play on PWs, it's important to understand that characters evolve on PWs, as well as the world around them. As such, we felt it would be great if you could actually change your portrait during play. So, once the feature is released in a patch you will be able to double-click on your portrait in the character screen and a portrait selection dialog (shown below) will appear. You will be able to change your portrait as often as you like and, as long as other players have your portrait in their portraits folder (My Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\Portraits), they will be able to see the change as well. If you ever want to go back to your 3d game-generated portrait, just click the clear button.

This is Obsidian, showing off what they're trying to implement into a future patch -- Portrait Switching (On The Fly).
« Last Edit: Friday, December 07, 2007, 03:02:04 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: All kinds of Patch 1.10 Issues for MOTB Owners overse
« Reply #81 on: Monday, October 01, 2007, 12:18:56 PM »
Ok, curiosity got the best of me. I just reinstalled NWN2, applied all the offline patches and brought it up to v1.10. There are some significant differences in this update! The most notable being the implementation of the Character and Strategy camera modes. All in all I'm impressed with the changes, yet still dismayed at the whole MotB mess.

I don't get it, couldn't they have put in a little utility that check your version of NWN2 and applies the appropriate updates (which would be on the disc)? Kinda like a variant of the auto-updater.
I installed 1.10, but I ain't tried it at all.

Still working on Two Worlds.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: All kinds of Patch 1.10 Issues for MOTB Owners overseas
« Reply #82 on: Monday, October 01, 2007, 12:38:03 PM »
Even though MOTB comes w/ 1.10, but that version on that disc has DATA issues -- namely, by installing MOTB, two things WILL happen:

1. Installing MOTB botches NWN2: OC's data files.
This is why Rob said to put Patch 1.10 (this would be the version you'd get ONLINE, not the version on the MOTB disc) FIRST, so that MOTB won't botch THOSE files, in case you actually want to play OC again.

2. Installing MOTB does have some missing MOTB data -- missing text files.
So, this is why you put their Hot Fix in lastly, to fix that problem.

BUT, from what I gather, people are STILL having problems galore, even if they follow Rob's directions as is.
Read here -- Part 1.
And Read here -- Part 2.

All NWN2 patches should be on IGN's NWVault.
I'll find it for you all -- I put that link in the other NWN2 thread, but I can't find it!
Gimmie time! I'll get y'all it!

EDIT, 9:58am (my time zone):
This is where all the NWN2 patches are hosted in the NWVault.

Note that Patch 1.10 isn't up there, yet....

Wow that's pretty fucking ridiculous. It is inexcusable.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: All kinds of Patch 1.10 Issues for MOTB Owners overse
« Reply #83 on: Monday, October 01, 2007, 12:53:21 PM »
Agreed.

And you know what's sad, Puggy?

Those on the NWN2 Forums who actually got MOTB working and all, they are actually praising the game itself and how good it really is -- especially w/ the character development, the writing, and actual roleplaying itself.

That's really a shame, since it'll mean that this very good expansion will be hurting ONLY b/c of Obsidian doing a pathetic job w/ controlling the data-files, since the entire patching process of NWN2: OC -> NWN2: MOTB is basically broken right out of the box.

What could be done is Obsidian releases a brand new Patch 1.11, which allows the gamer to upgrade NWN2 -> MOTB, including all the datafixes (for the OC) and the MOTB hotfix (for the missing text issue) -- this way, everybody's happy.

What REALLY should be done is a complete recall on all of those MOTB retails boxes Obsidian presses out new copies of NWN2: MOTB, which come w/ the non-screwed-up MOTB Patch 1.10 right on there. That'd cost them a lot of money, though; so, that might not happen...

But what could happen, given what happened w/ Two Worlds PC at BB. If this MOTB situation turns out nasty at retailers where retailers begin to get a lot of returns of MOTB from consumers, maybe Best Buy will "junk-price" MOTB out like they did w/ Two Worlds PC, and start selling it for ONE PENNY. :P Shit, if BB does "junk" MOTB for one penny, I'd be all over that! :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: All kinds of Patch 1.10 Issues for MOTB Owners overseas
« Reply #84 on: Monday, October 01, 2007, 01:08:25 PM »
I hope the issue a recall and rerelease this.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #85 on: Monday, October 01, 2007, 01:52:32 PM »
I hope that at least the future shipments will include a cleaned up version.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #86 on: Monday, October 01, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »
I hope that at least the future shipments will include a cleaned up version.

I bet if there's later some sort of NWN2: Gold Edition, which would contain both NWN2 and NWN2: MOTB, it'll probably be all cleaned-up on that disc w/ the most recent patch already w/ it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #87 on: Monday, October 01, 2007, 10:52:53 PM »
I bet if there's later some sort of NWN2: Gold Edition, which would contain both NWN2 and NWN2: MOTB, it'll probably be all cleaned-up on that disc w/ the most recent patch already w/ it.

True. Bioware did that with the NWN Platinum pack. Hmm, now I'm having second thoughts about buying MotB. Maybe I should just wait for a "gold" pack.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 01:04:19 AM »
I wouldn't wait for a gold pack as they are normally $50 anyway, and you have the first game as it is, so might as well pay $30 for the expansion and enjoy it now.

I am just annoyed with the patching b.s.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #89 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 04:02:13 PM »
This news might make those planning to jump to MOTB eventually feel a little bit better....who knows when this patch will arrive, but here ya go.

I figured this might be one of Obsidian's options, given their current fiasco w/ MOTB patching process.

Link

Quote from: Rob McGinnis of Obsidian
I believe the plan is to get a patch out that will allow you to install NWN2, install MoTB then install a single patch, but I am not 100% sure.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #90 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
88 (out of 100) from ComputerGames.Ro

Secondly, the designers have put a lot more emphasis on the decisions that you will make during the game and their consequences, which will greatly influence your companions, as well as the final outcome of the game. Speaking of which, there are four possible endings: one good (considered optimal by Obsidian), two neutral and one evil (which is very cool by the way). Barring the increased replay value that these endings offer (because you can’t see all four just by making one choice at the end of the game), they are also a lot more satisfying than the ones in NWN2, so fans will be pleased in this regard.
Good deal.

Thirdly, Obsidian bravely decided that some “old fashion” storytelling was in order, meaning that in MotB you’ll get to see elaborate descriptions, depicting emotions, locations and events, sometimes backed up by a narrator (Rodger Bumpass), whose voice is ten times better than the one from NWN2 (the in-game identity of the narrator, which you’ll discover at the end of your adventure, is also one of the more pleasant surprises from MotB). In this regard, Planescape: Torment fans will feel right at home, reading the intriguing passages that depict your own character’s actions among other things, while newcomers will probably just skip them (their loss). And even though the amount of text is nowhere near as large as that of PS:T, the quality is right up there with the big boys, with even the most insignificant ally having at least one or two interesting things to say.
Sounds good to me!

Speaking of which, the new companions are not that stupid anymore, when compared to the ones in NWN2, but the casters will still choose the most bizarre order in which to use their spells that you can think of. I’ll never understand why it’s necessary to summon a Meteor Swarm on a Near Death enemy, or heal a companion that has 75% of its hitpoints, when all it takes to kill you is a toothpick thrown in your direction. I guess this is one of the reasons why the designers placed the AI Off button in plain sight.
I'm glad the AI has been improved. The AI would do some funky thangs in NWN2: OC -- especially the over-abusive shape-changing skill used by Elanee.

The resting system has also been modified, to better reflect the influence of the passage of time on the story and game world. Now, resting will last for 8 hours, but it can be interrupted by nearby enemies, the second option being to wait until dusk or dawn: you will get full health back, but not the spells. As a side note, the day-night cycle is extremely well depicted from a visual point of view, especially if you stay in a location for a longer period. However, the passing of time isn’t just for show, since some areas and even side-quests won’t be accessible during day-time, so you’ll have to carefully plan your trips and resting periods, with that whole soul-craving thing and all.
Resting sounds more like the BG games -- where you can sleep, but given that you'll sleep for quite some time, it's possible to be awakened into a battle and all. Good.

Unfortunately, players who enjoyed running their own castle will be disappointed to know that in MotB there’s no equivalent to Crossroad Keep, which is somewhat understandable, considering where the action takes place. However, MotB still features a couple of quirky quests, like the one in NWN2 where you could recruit a giant spider to your group of adventurers.
Bummer. I really liked the whole Crossroad Keep thing -- though, one could argue there could've been more content for The Keep, in NWN2. It laid down a good foundation, for what could be done in the future for future NWN's.

The quests in MotB are fairly linear, with one or maybe two ways to complete them (for instance, either get an item via a more diplomatic way or take it by force). Most of the quests are also pretty straight-forward in regards to their solution...
Okie dokie.

...Since the time it takes you to see this new adventure through (some 20-25 hours, if you’re a thorough explorer)...
That's a pretty good length for an expansion; hell, even a full game, these days and age.

On the technical side of things, MotB has the same strengths and weaknesses as its predecessor. On one hand, the voice acting and soundtrack are excellent, with the musical score being completely new – an admirable achievement, considering the budget limitations for an expansion.
That's good -- hopefully, we won't hear some of the original NWN1 music beat to death (like it was in NWN2), in the Mask expansion.

As far as performance goes however, it’s every man for himself. It’s true that MotB runs better than NWN2 did at launch, but there are still some annoying performance issues. For instance, changing the shadow quality from low to medium (or vice-versa!?) can lead to a dramatic framerate drop, even on very powerful PCs.[/b]
Bah!

This can be countered by testing each setting and finding a balance between quality and performance, but the number of bugs, both in single and multiplayer, is frightening. Yes, NWN2 did have its share of bugs too, but in MotB there are a lot more programming glitches which can ruin the game experience. Triggers that don’t activate properly, items that suddenly disappear from the inventory, side-quests which can’t be completed without the dev console, spells which work only on your character, even though for instance you need to heal a companion, and the list can go on.
Sounds like this game REALLY needs a patch -- especially w/ "items go missing from your Inventory -- ummm, WTF???

However, Mask of the Betrayer is without a doubt one of the most pleasant surprises of the year and further proof that Obsidian Entertainment can create quality RPGs if no one is standing with a shotgun at their backs to get the game done as soon as possible (yes, LucasArts, I’m talking about you). It’s also true however that if on the story, dialogues and character fronts MotB is an excellent example of how things should be done, on the technical and bug-fixing aspect, Obsidian still has some work ahead of it.
       Regardless of these problems however, Mask of the Betrayer is a triumph which should be saluted by all RPG fans, since it proves once and for all that “old school” RPG principles – wonderful story, interesting characters, great dialogues – which seem to have been forgotten by newer “RPGs”, are still as valid as ever. All that remains now is for The Witcher to rise up to the challenge, thus giving us solid reasons to hope for a new golden age for RPGs on the PC.
We've already had a big year of RPG's, this year -- ES4: Shivering Isles (expansion), Two Worlds, TQ: Immortal Throne (expansion); that's just to name a few, off the top of my skull!

With the upcoming NWN2: Mask (Expansion), The Witcher, and Hellgate: London -- damn, this is one crazy-ass RPG year, to say the very least!!!!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, October 09, 2007, 03:41:43 PM »
1Up gives it a 8.0 for a score

Can you go home again? And if so, how much will you -- or your home -- have changed since you left? That's one of Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer's themes, but it's also a question for beleaguered D&D fans desperate for the original NWN2, only to discover a virtual plague of bugs and camera problems rendering it all but unplayable. The good news: One year and 250 megabytes worth of patches later, the game is finally as good as promised. The better news: The new Mask of the Betrayer expansion is a stronger, more complex, and ultimately more satisfying game.
Good deal.

It's also not easy. Set soon after the original game's end, Mask begins with your character -- you can keep your old guy or create one from scratch -- at level 18 (or up to 20 if you were there already). The expansion adds two new base classes, Favored Soul and Spirit Shaman, and five new prestige classes, which, of course, you may be dying to try, but since you start at such a high level, it's kinda like buying an MMO character off eBay. Yes, your character is powerful from the start, but good luck knowing what you're doing. Fortunately, you can start the new classes from level 1 in the original NWN2 campaign, if you'd like to learn the mechanics on an easier level.
So it ain't easy, eh? Cool.

Me, I chose to import my trusty level 18 Dwarf Paladin, Doofaeus Moronico -- and had my best D&D RPG experience since Black Isle's 1999 masterpiece, Planescape: Torment (though it's not in the same league). Planescape is, in fact, the best point of reference here for describing Mask's campaign. Rather than sending you on a save-the-world quest, Mask focuses on an inward journey: You awake imprisoned underground for reasons unknown, and you soon find yourself victim of a horrific curse. You spend the bulk of the game hopping through portals into surreal planes and dreamscapes in search of who put this curse on you, why, and how to get rid of it.
Cool.

W/ the whole undoing of the curse, in a sense, it sounds similar to how in Planescape, you're to find out how to undo the immortality spell Ravel put on you.

The curse is no mere plot device; it has a direct effect on gameplay. You've become a spirit-eater and must constantly consume spirits to stay alive.
That's different.

I think Que always wanted to consume spirits. :P

It adds a challenging monkey wrench to an already complex game -- forcing you to reconsider even basic actions like resting or traveling, if your spirit meter is too low. Add in a few genuinely tough logic puzzles (some frustratingly short on clues) and a series of side quests that completely vary (some might not even open up) depending on your party makeup, and you have a game that goes a good 20 hours -- at least -- and begs for repeated playthroughs.
Good deal.

Mask is not without problems, though. Even all these patches later, with two new "modes" to play in, NWN2's still got one of the most annoying, impossible-to-use cameras ever. (Obsidian: Please ditch this engine, for all our sakes, next time out.)
I'll have to see how the cam is, once I do get this.
I hope it ain't that bad.

The new NPCs are a fine, but mostly humorless, bunch.
Okay

And once again, a few bugs tripped up my game, failing to trigger events and forcing me back to an old save (save early and often, kids).
Bleh,

Still, these issues were far less obtrusive this time and ultimately did not dampen my happy feelings that here was the kind of deep, hardcore RPG that old-school fans like me thought they just didn't make anymore.
I am looking forward to this.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, October 09, 2007, 05:43:08 PM »
Obsidian released a new patch today....

BUT, Obsidian needs to cut the shit w/ messing-up w/ the patching process for MOTB.

Read this.

Hello Everyone,

There is currently a patch available on the Autopatcher. DO NOT INSTALL THIS PATCH!

If you do, it will overwrite your CD Key(s) and cause you much havoc.

Edit
If this patch has already been installed, you will need to manually open the file "nwncdkey.ini" and replace the CD key(s) with the original keys you entered at the time of installing the game. The file can be found in the NWN2 install folder.

If you have a backup of nwn2cdkey.ini from after you installed MotB, you can instead just restore the file from your backup.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: NEWEST Patch Murders Your CDKey File! Don't Download it!
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, October 09, 2007, 10:19:54 PM »
OK wtf? 90% of the people don't go to forums etc to know when not to download.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: NEWEST Patch Murders Your CDKey File! Don't Download
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, October 09, 2007, 11:41:51 PM »
I don't use the autoupdater anyway. I have learned to wait for the manual patches. Still though, that is pretty retarded, they may as well eliminate the autoupdater since it's causing more bad than good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 01:42:52 PM »
I don't use the autoupdater anyway. I have learned to wait for the manual patches. Still though, that is pretty retarded, they may as well eliminate the autoupdater since it's causing more bad than good.

Ain't that the truth, X.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 11:34:51 PM »
Ain't that the truth, X.
Seriously man!

• The total patch size is around 350MB, meaning that if you install a fresh NWN2 you'll have to wait for the autoupdater to download the patches then install them. I keep patches and updates somewhere safe and offline for quick & easy access to avoid having to re-download. So the concept of the autoupdater is lost on me to begin with.
  • You can't use it to update a fresh install of NWN2 from v1.0 to the latest because it bypasses some important fixes between v1.03 and v1.04. You have to use the manual patches. I still don't understand why they can't fix this.
  • Now it flat-out damages your installation!

That's at least 3 good reasons to abandon the autoupdater.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 09:15:45 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #98 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 02:15:12 PM »
It looks like for the most part, MOTB patching process has been fixed.

Now, you can install it like this -- NWN2, then MOTB, then patch.

Look here

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #99 on: Sunday, October 21, 2007, 12:40:08 AM »
It looks like for the most part, MOTB patching process has been fixed.

Now, you can install it like this -- NWN2, then MOTB, then patch.

Look here

Ok, that's a tad more acceptable.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: Latest patch for Mask fixes most patching issues
« Reply #100 on: Sunday, October 21, 2007, 06:16:01 AM »
I'm picking the game up today.

Circuit City this week has MOTB for $17.99
BB has MOTB for $19.99.

I'm gonna go price match at BB w/ the CC flyer. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #101 on: Sunday, October 21, 2007, 06:46:28 AM »
I'm picking the game up today.

Circuit City this week has MOTB for $17.99
BB has MOTB for $19.99.

I'm gonna go price match at BB w/ the CC flyer. :)

I'll see. I might pass by Virgin to see if they've received it yet.

I'm just wondering; suppose I install NWN2, update it to v1.10, then install MotB, will the v1.11 update fix everything too?

As I understand it the latest fix basically cross-checks your files to see what you're missing and then downloads the actual relevant updates.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #102 on: Sunday, October 21, 2007, 10:21:23 AM »
I'll see. I might pass by Virgin to see if they've received it yet.

I'm just wondering; suppose I install NWN2, update it to v1.10, then install MotB, will the v1.11 update fix everything too?
That's how I did it.
Have had no problems, what-so-ever.

As I understand it the latest fix basically cross-checks your files to see what you're missing and then downloads the actual relevant updates.
Basically, yep.

EDIT:
I've spent a good deal of time w/ Mask, so far. A good deal has changed -- namely, for the better.

Strategy Mode Cam
Camera Modes been changed -- for the better. Basically, they've combined Free Mode and Over-Top Cam Modes to make one BETTER mode; Strategy Mode. By default, it feels like the Baldur's Gate controls (left and right on the mouse doesn't rotate the cam, it pans the cam left or right like BG or like NWN2 in "Free Cam" Mode -- which is cool; you can change this,) mixed w/ some of the NWN2 controls (put cam over to edge of left or right of screen and move it in that direction to rotate it). 

Character Mode Cam
The Character Cam Mode is just like the SW: KOTOR controls, basically -- so, if you liked that set-up for Third Person Over-The-Shoulder Cam, you'll be happy there; and if you turn it on or off in the options for "Character Cam Mode", you can let the cam follow behind the player like KOTOR or let it go "free and unlocked" like NWN; up to you.

Both controls modes got their own separate KEY CONFIGURATIONS. That's right -- so, that's really nice, if you want different control set-ups for each mode. That wasn't doing it for me, so I duplicated the way I set-up my Strategy Mode cam for Character Mode Cam; so I can stay consistent w/ them. The controls, I had to configure differently than they had it all set-up to make me happy; which is fine, since I do lots of reconfiguring for most games, anyways. Basically, to get things cool w/ me -- I did what I did in Two Worlds that I found work for me; since I NEVER use the number keys on the right side of the keyboard, I basically moved all the camera controls over to the Number Keys on the Right hand side of the keyboard, especially since I'm used to The Cursors as movement for the player (Forward, Back, Left, Right), not WSAD.

In-Game Performance
For NWN2, I had to drop it to 800x600 w/ most stuff off, in the original game -- b/c it ran so poorly. Performance has come a long, since then. I got some of the stuff on, namely on Medium Settings now w/ Mask installed. Now, I can actually run the game fine in 1024x768 on my PC. Also, it's nice to note that even w/ a lot happening on-screen w/ spells and a good handful of enemies on screen, I am normally around 25 FPS to 40 FPS. It's also worth noting that what were once somewhat long load times, these load times seem to be a good deal quicker, as well.

The Game Itself
For those who didn't play NWN2: Original Campaign, you want the backstory to it? Check your newest and first "Journal Entry" titled "The Story So Far." It's a nice long summary of what happened, basically.

There seems to be fair amount of ways to go through quests -- talk your own way out of fights (talked my way out of a few, since I have high Charisma) or talk enemies out of fighting you, fight through quests straight up, etc etc. I'm just getting going, but there seems to be a fair amount of side quests in the first town you make it to.

Mask's much darker than the OC, as well. For the main quest stuff, there is a narrator describing the scene w/ extra details and all, in his dark, deep and gloomy voice, which fits right w/ the very descriptive writing that is set in a dark tone -- usually, you get all this descriptive stuff for you to only read on-screen; like say in Planescape or Baldur's Gate game; nope, you get it right along w/ this narrator's voice-over audio, as well. Very nice touch.

So far, I do like this game. Must go play some more, since I'm already hooked. This might be the best NWN Stuff since Hordes, if all stays well -- and it stays like it has been, so far.

EDIT #2:
Ice Troll Lodge Quest Bug
(click to show/hide)

From what I've read on forums recently, looks like there's a bunch of DIFFERENT bugs happening in this Lodge alone -- click any of those threads on there, you'll find a few different bugs in this Lodge.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 21, 2007, 08:09:50 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #103 on: Thursday, October 25, 2007, 12:20:54 AM »
I just picked up MotB :D It cost me around $32 USD.

I'm still in the very beginning though, I haven't even gotten that spirit-metre everyone's been talking/complaining about. So far I like it! I really like the narrator and the darkness attributed to his voice.

From a technical standpoint, it's a huge improvement over the original (even with patch v1.10+). The expansion adds a whole bunch of new resources that really enhance its performance and visuals.

A good effort from Obsidian!

I'll catch up with you soon MyD!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #104 on: Thursday, October 25, 2007, 06:40:25 AM »
I just picked up MotB :D It cost me around $32 USD.

I'm still in the very beginning though, I haven't even gotten that spirit-metre everyone's been talking/complaining about.
I'm in deep into Chapter 2....
I won't say where, though...

I happen to LIKE the spirit meter, myself. I think it's a cool and different game gimmick, actually.

If your meter's below Lev 4, just use The Satiate FEAT to replenish the meter entirely. Penalty is that you lose a little bit of XP -- no big deal.

Make sure when you see spirit-like enemies, if your Spirit Meter's own Energy meter's not full AND your crave meter ain't high -- unless you like sucking the souls of spirits like your name is Quemaqua and you're giving into your evil side.... :P

So far I like it! I really like the narrator and the darkness attributed to his voice.
Me too. The prose of the narrator and the game itself is quite good, as well.

From a technical standpoint, it's a huge improvement over the original (even with patch v1.10+). The expansion adds a whole bunch of new resources that really enhance its performance and visuals.

A good effort from Obsidian!
Absolutely agreed.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #105 on: Sunday, October 28, 2007, 12:46:42 AM »
Sorry, I've been internet-less for the last few days. I got some good time with NWN2 and I can now comment on the gameplay and story so far!
(click to show/hide)

Sorry MyD, I really need to release the last few days hehe :D

EDIT:

I ought to add in the points I like for balance :P

So far I like the story. I love that it seems much more personal. I was excited with some of the reappearances of some characters!

I've also taken a look at the new races: The 4 Genasi (Air, Earth, Fire, Water), the Wild Elf, and the Half-Drow. Good addtions for sure!

The few new character heads are so-so, and the hairstyles are not bad.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 28, 2007, 04:39:39 AM by Xessive »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #106 on: Thursday, November 01, 2007, 04:06:48 AM »
I got a "Suppress Enhancer" mod and now I'm atcually enjoying the game a lot more!

One thing I never commented on (don't know how I forgot) was the music! Finally it's all original, atmospheric, and fantastic music!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #107 on: Thursday, November 01, 2007, 02:31:15 PM »
Yeah, one thing NWN2 lacked was new music.
Mask's new music; it's really good.

I need to get back to Mask, since I'm in Chap 2....
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #108 on: Sunday, November 04, 2007, 09:18:50 AM »
I just finished the NWN2: Mask.

Seen a few of the endings, that depend on who's in your party and your decisions throughout the game and also what you decide at the very end. Not sure which of the few endings I prefer, since what I seen was actually pretty good.

Overall, yes -- best NWN series expansion since NWN: Hordes. No doubt about that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 03:38:08 AM »
Well, I'm stuck in the Skein. I believe it's a quest bug.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 09:34:03 PM »
X, that sucks, bro. Bleh!!!

Hmmmm...you didn't have any saves like right before Gul'kash?

I know, I know -- I am a save whore, to say the least. I do save a lot, though I do delete a lot of saves as I go along, too.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 12:02:38 AM »
X, that sucks, bro. Bleh!!!

Hmmmm...you didn't have any saves like right before Gul'kash?

I know, I know -- I am a save whore, to say the least. I do save a lot, though I do delete a lot of saves as I go along, too.
I have the autosave (thank God for autosaves!) just outside the Skein. I loaded it and all my companions are in godmode! I can't disable it either! Normally that would be a good stroke of luck, but here it turns out to work against me and inevitably becomes kinda boring. I'll probably go around doing what I can outside the Skein then worry about the Skein when the bug is resolved.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #112 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 12:35:56 PM »
Alright, I just installed the expansion and patched etc. Where are the companion AI options? You know, where I set what they should and shouldn't do?

edit:
Nevermind, I remember now. I had forgotten. :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #113 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 11:27:29 AM »
Alright, I just installed the expansion and patched etc. Where are the companion AI options? You know, where I set what they should and shouldn't do?

edit:
Nevermind, I remember now. I had forgotten. :P

Yeah, it's under your Character Sheet, under BEHAVIOR.

I found the AI to be most responsive -- especially for Mages -- if you put them on "Use As Much Spells As Possible" and have them overcast spells.

Even though they OD on spell usage this way -- otherwise at its default, they're too lazy on spell usage. I wish there was middle ground, but whatever...no big deal.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #114 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 04:37:09 AM »
Just finished it! Satisfying yet it has created a hunger for a new expansion!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #115 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 07:31:26 AM »
Just finished it! Satisfying yet it has created a hunger for a new expansion!

I thought Mask was excellent, as well. Definitely the best campaign since NWN: Hordes.

I think Mask had a good shot at RPG Of The Year for me (yes, Mask is that good -- especially for an expansion), but then The Witcher came out this year....

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #116 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 09:22:23 AM »
Ok, I need to play The Witcher. NEED!

I'm gonna take a little break from NWN2, then I'm gonna get back into it and play as a Genasi next!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #117 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 09:57:45 AM »
Ok, I need to play The Witcher. NEED!

I'm gonna take a little break from NWN2, then I'm gonna get back into it and play as a Genasi next!
Not very often do I break out the $50 + shipping for a brand-new game -- last game I did that on before The Witcher was actually Morrowind when it first came out -- I don't regret either purchase at their price tag upon release, either. Both were great. Sure, I've spent $40 upon release for a game a handful of times in recent years (such as NWN, Bioshock PC and Oblivion PC), but usually that's as far as I will go on a new game. :P

About NWN2: Mask, yeah -- after Mask, I'm ready for another NWN2 Expansion, as well; especially if it'll be on the level of Mask. I really loved the black-and-white look the shadow levels had going on in Mask. So, Obsidian -- bring on Expansion #2!! :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #118 on: Friday, December 07, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »
Rob McGinnis says Patch 1.11 is planned for Monday.

Huge amount of fixes here -- namely, for Mask of the Bretrayer.

Here is a quick look at some of the fixes and features in Patch 1.11. Happy reading.

Neverwinter Nights 2 - Version 1.11 Patch Notes
October 30th, 2007

Bug Fixes in 1.11

General

* Stealth was previously not functioning properly. It is now functioning as designed.
    * Opening the Game Options window will no longer reset the camera focus of Strategy Mode.
    * The Dwarven Defender’s Defensive Stance should now function properly.
    * An exploit was fixed that allowed players to increase their CON by unequipping and re-equipping items.
    * A message will now be displayed if a character cannot equip an item due to being Frightened.
    * The “Enable Buy/Sell Confirmation” option will now properly retain its state when you exit the game.
    * Duergar are now properly ECL +1 rather than ECL +2.

Mask of the Betrayer Fixes (WARNING: Spoilers)
(click to show/hide)

Toolset

* Several crashes have been addressed in the Creature Appearance Wizard.

DM Client

* On the DM's Context menu, if you are controlling the DM avatar the non-DM heal skill will not show up. If you possess another creature, the non-DM heal skill will show up.

Scripting

* EffectDeath() now has a new parameter that will make it so that any visual effects on the creature aren't purged (With the exception of mobility imparing effects, like stun, paralysis, etc).

Spells

* Enervate will always display its visual effect properly and will now only roll one ranged touch attack.
    * Lionheart can now be scribed to a scroll.
    * Extract Water Elemental can now be scribed to a scroll.
    * Many spells which previously were not able to be used to craft wands now work.

Right now, we expect to release the patch on Monday. It's too close to the weekend now and we don't like to release right before a weekend.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: NWN 2: Mask -- Update: Patch 1.11 Planned for Monday with lots of MoTB fixes
« Reply #119 on: Friday, December 07, 2007, 09:50:59 PM »
What? I downloaded and installed 1.11