Author Topic: Blizzard announcing new game next month  (Read 18888 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Blizzard announcing new game next month
« on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 01:48:21 PM »
In Seoul, South Korea. It's pretty much a given that it'll be Starcraft 2, seeing as how its practically South Korea's national sport.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Blizzard announcing new game next month
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 02:03:07 PM »
I guess this means I really need to begin StarCraft 1 and Brood War soon, eh...?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 02:42:47 PM »
Awesome. I read about this before and I'm pretty excited. I might have to get a new rig when this one comes out.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 03:39:10 PM »
Live for the swarm!

See, now this is one of the few acceptable "coming announcements" announcements.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 06:07:09 PM »
Agreed, Sy.  Cool news... we'll all be eager, I'm sure. Blizz is one of the few huge companies that nobody hates because they're still awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 06:40:47 PM »
It would be a very interesting twist if say Blizzard does announce a BRAND NEW IP completely.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 07:17:49 PM »
Weird.  I've been waiting for this announcement for years, and I somehow feel underwhelmed now.

I think it's because unlike a lot of others, I love Starcraft for its story and universe.  Since Starcraft is a RTS, it's like a cardinal rule that any sequels have to add new races, which will most likely dilute and de-legitimize it.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 27, 2007, 07:58:53 PM by scottws »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 07:47:33 PM »
They could learn something (more) from Warhammer and just break up the existing races into fully fleshed out factions with unique armies. I always thought it was strange that the Terran Directorate (or something along those lines) who came in from across the galaxy during the expansion had the same exact army as the rednecks from the original portions of the story.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 07:48:58 PM »
Well, Blizzard is in work w/ multiple projects, it seems

Not surprised, as it is believed they are working on some new Diablo game, given that a composer has stated he is indeed working on the next Diablo -- though, we don't know if it'll be pure MMO or not.

And many believe the next announcement will be StarCraft 2. Though, I wonder if that'll be the typical game or if it'll be MMO or not.

Blizzard's Next-Gen MMO? [April 27, 2007, 7:25 pm ET] - Viewing Comments

This Blizzard Entertainment Employment Opportunities Page indicates that Blizzard is seeking an engine programmer to lead a team "focused on next-generation massively multiplayer online games." GameDaily BIZ contacted Blizzard about this, but the developer is remaining tight lipped for now, saying they are "not ready to reveal any new projects at this time," but that they do indeed "have multiple unannounced projects in development and are exploring various options for the future of our franchises."

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 07:59:05 PM »
I hope Diablo 3 isn't an MMO. I like the small parties and demon slaughtering. Yes, Diablo 3 must have blood everywhere. In fact, for no reason at all, the UI should bleed.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 08:00:42 PM »
They could learn something (more) from Warhammer and just break up the existing races into fully fleshed out factions with unique armies. I always thought it was strange that the Terran Directorate (or something along those lines) who came in from across the galaxy during the expansion had the same exact army as the rednecks from the original portions of the story.
Yeah, that could definitely work.  It's the UED by the way: United Earth Directorate.

Well, this is Blizzard, so I guess we'll see this game in 2011 or so.  At least we'll know it will probably be pretty good.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 10:19:52 PM »
Yeah, I hope D3 isn't an MMO.  I like the multiplayer of Diablo, just on the small scale like Idol said.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 12:03:34 AM »
Please don't let it be an MMO. Also everyone should be ready to put a few hundred aside for the CEs.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 12:50:53 AM »
I doubt they'd make another MMO because it'd compete with WoW. Given the proper treatment, they can keep that cash cow going for a number of years.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 01:00:06 AM »
Yup good point Syan.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 01:49:02 AM »
IGN says they are working on an MMO, and maybe for consoles? Maybe they are bringing WoW to consoles?

http://pc.ign.com/articles/784/784124p1.html

Blizzard Hiring for Next-Gen MMO
The creator of WoW is developing its own competition.
by Daemon Hatfield

April 27, 2007 - Blizzard has updated its job listings with several positions that will be working on a next-gen massively multiplayer online game (MMO). The publisher/developer is seeking a Lead Engine Programmer, Lead Tools Programmer, and a Lead Technical Artist. Begin speculation…now.

The term "next-gen" is typically used to describe consoles, and World of Warcraft has been rumored to be heading to the Xbox 360. Of course, Blizzard's VP of Development Itzik Ben Bassat told Empire Magazine a few months ago that the company's next MMO would not be another WoW. The Lead Engine Programmer Blizzard is seeking will be in charge of developing an entirely new engine for this next-gen MMO, and a port of WoW would likely use a tweaked version of the existing engine.

There have also been ongoing rumors about the continuation of the StarCraft franchise as either another real-time strategy game or a World of StarCraft-type MMO.

Blizzard is set to make a major announcement at an event in Korea next month. IGN will be on hand at the event, and hopefully we'll learn more about this project at that time

edit:

After seeing D's post, my deduction is that WoW will be brought to the 360 while StarCrack 2 will be announced for the PC.

Offline Xero

• Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 02:10:16 AM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 03:48:38 AM »
What if it is a combination? World of Diablocraft.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 06:24:09 AM »
|

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 09:07:23 AM »
There's a very good chance it's Diablo 3?  Who are these people saying this?  If that's the case, why is the announcement taking place in South Korea?

I think it's obviously something Starcraft-related.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 09:12:26 AM »
There's a very good chance it's Diablo 3?  Who are these people saying this?  If that's the case, why is the announcement taking place in South Korea?

Maybe a StarCraft RPG, heh. ;)

And the next Diablo, maybe Diablo RTS, heh ;)

Offline Xero

• Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 09:52:26 AM »

Just because its in South Korea? 
Any reason they can't be annoucing both? That would be considered a major annoucement.  I dunno. I'm only speaking from what I've seen but I've seen more hinted at info for a new diablo game than a starcraft game.

Eh obviously its all guess work until they actually say anything.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 10:44:50 AM »
If they went to Korea and announced a game that wasn't Starcraft, somebody there would murder them.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 12:26:44 PM »
Besides, they still have Blizzcon and the revamped E3 to announce stuff.

South Korea = Starcraft 2
Blizzcon = WoW expansion
E3 = Diablo 3

Now on IGN there is an industry guy I was talking with, and he said Blizzard wants to get a certain game out there to steal some thunder from another game that is being made by former Blizzard folk that has a similar theme and playstyle as that Blizzard title.

Basically, Diablo 3 announcement to kill the hype for Hellgate. I wouldn't be surprised to see it this year.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 01:39:37 PM »
Good strategy.  Except for the fact that Hellgate still looks awesome.  I'll be getting both either way.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 02:04:38 PM »
Good strategy.  Except for the fact that Hellgate still looks awesome.  I'll be getting both either way.

Yeah, Hellgate does look freakin' bad-ass

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, May 05, 2007, 05:36:23 PM »
Looks like the next Bliz game might be World of Starcraft (MMO), according to ComputerAndVideoGames

The long-rumoured new instalment of Blizzard's massive StarCraft series is set to be unveiled later this month - and it's another massively-multiplayer online game in the style of World of Warcraft, CVG can reveal.

Well placed US sources have revealed to us that the StarCraft MMO will be unveiled at an upcoming Blizzard event on May 19 in South Korea - the epicentre of the sci-fi RTS series' rabid fandom.

The unveiling of the new instalment has previously been rumoured for the South Korea event, though we now know that the title is in fact an online spin-off and not a new RTS game as previously assumed.

Advertisement:
Of course this is massive news for both Vivendi and the MMO world; Blizzard's other online offering World of Warcraft has topped 6 million subscribers and is arguably the biggest game around today.

The question is, is there room for both World of Warcraft and a StarCraft MMO? The later will have to be a very different type of online game to convince gamers to subscribe to both of Blizzard's pair.

We will of course let you know as soon as soon as Blizzard officially confirms the game on May 19.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, May 05, 2007, 07:28:41 PM »
I repeat my above post.
|

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: Monday, May 07, 2007, 10:48:02 PM »
There's been hints dropped by Blizzard in the last year regarding both a new Starcraft and a new Diablo.  I'd bet both are in some stages of development.

The Starcraft MMO theory is interesting.  On one hand, you're right....it would be stupid to fragment their market like that.  They could prematurely kill the potential excess return they'll recieve from WoW.  On the other hand, if they announce it this May, you can probably be sure that it's not going to hit the shelves for at least 2 years.  By that time WoW will be winding down either way, and if their suscribers are going to be moving on to the next big MMO at that point, it might as well be another Blizzard product.

Personally, if I were in charge, that would be my ultimate goal...to get a MMO game out in the next 2-3 years.  However, that wouldn't be what I was announcing now unless it was WoW2.  Thinking about my franchises, I'd build one up a bit first...release either Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 first.  Bring people back into the story, introduce some new classes and races for the inevitable MMO expansions. And introduce some new characters to act as prominent npcs in the upcoming MMO.

Releasing Starcraft 2 now and a Starcraft MMO in a few years would probably move more units and make a ton more money than doing the reverse.   

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 12:10:02 AM »
I think it would be stupid to introduce a World of Starcraft. One of the reasons WoW was successful was that the franchise was fresh in everyone's minds with WarCraft III.

If they want to do a StarCraft MMO, it is vital they release a RTS sequel first. Like GPW says, bring people back into the fold.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 12:27:00 AM »
I was thinking, what if they did something like a mixing of the two genres. Like, an RTS on a huge scale with tons of commanders? The idea has been tossed around with global campaigns and such where victories lead to taking over territories, but what if they did something with few set boundries and people actually had to really hold fronts on their own or team up to take out heavily fortified structures. Make units and structures more meaningful as they take earned resources and more time to built. Have verteran squads really mean something because the combat isn't restricted to single missions.

It could be pretty interesting and be the next real leap for the genre in a long while. The trick would to getting the usual Blizzard charms: having everything really tight and accessable. It could easily fall into maddness as commanders just mass up and blow through areas or no one follow any sort of plan and forming a giant unmoving front. Given the right balancing and tricks to keep masses of armies from being too powerful, it could work.

Of course, I doubt that'll happen. Odds are it'll be something more traditional. I just don't think Starcraft would work as a straight out MMO because the universe just doesn't lend itself to it. Single people and small groups don't go out and adventure so much. Armies gather and fight. Behind the lines people just live their lives.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 12:29:15 AM »
I can say that I would have zero interest in a Starcraft MMO, or really, even Starcraft 2.  I enjoyed the first game for what it was, but it didn't last the way it has for many.  I got very tired of it very quickly.  The universe is fun enough, but not nearly so that I'd want to spend MMO-level time there.  I'm just really not interested.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 12:41:46 AM »
I was thinking, what if they did something like a mixing of the two genres. Like, an RTS on a huge scale with tons of commanders? The idea has been tossed around with global campaigns and such where victories lead to taking over territories, but what if they did something with few set boundries and people actually had to really hold fronts on their own or team up to take out heavily fortified structures. Make units and structures more meaningful as they take earned resources and more time to built. Have verteran squads really mean something because the combat isn't restricted to single missions.

It could be pretty interesting and be the next real leap for the genre in a long while. The trick would to getting the usual Blizzard charms: having everything really tight and accessable. It could easily fall into maddness as commanders just mass up and blow through areas or no one follow any sort of plan and forming a giant unmoving front. Given the right balancing and tricks to keep masses of armies from being too powerful, it could work.

Of course, I doubt that'll happen. Odds are it'll be something more traditional. I just don't think Starcraft would work as a straight out MMO because the universe just doesn't lend itself to it. Single people and small groups don't go out and adventure so much. Armies gather and fight. Behind the lines people just live their lives.

That sounds really cool, but it also sounds innovative so that automatically means Blizzard won't do it.

I think they want to keep milking the MMO cow, and I would personally have more interest in a StarCraft MMO than WoW purely because it involves space. When SW:Galaxies was being developed, I thought it had huge potential as did the rest of the planet... but it turned out to be a big dud.

As for StarCraft II, if Blizzard do it, I wonder what sort of game it will be. Basically all their RTS games so far have been highly polished yet been basically the same. I think they need to innovate and bring something out on the level of Supreme Commander or Company of Heroes, but I doubt they'd do that. I have a feeling they will just play it safe.

I even worry about a Diablo sequel. Even though Diablo is easily one of my favorite games, I just want to see something different instead of more of the same...

I have to say, of all the worlds Blizzard has produced, I always found the WarCraft universe least interesting. It was easily the most clichéd. While the trouble with having a Diablo MMO is that it won't work well alongside Diablo III itself.

A StarCraft MMO would be interesting ground for Blizzard though, since it would be the first time they would be designing a game which is essentially going to be a first person shooter.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 06:42:06 AM »
Oh God please don't let it be an MMOG.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 10:44:30 AM »
It's not gonna be an MMO game. I've read a quote in multiple articles this past week where they deny any MMO other than WoW. Let me find it....

Got it.

Quote from: Blizzard
We do not currently have any MMO development plans beyond the upcoming expansion for World of Warcraft

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 11:46:41 AM »

We do not currently have any MMO development plans beyond the upcoming expansion for World of Warcraft. However like any business, we do lie on occasion

Just kidding...

It just doesn't make business sense for it to be a StarCraft MMO at this stage... that's why I can't believe it in the end.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 01:46:32 PM »
We do not currently have any MMO development plans beyond the upcoming expansion for World of Warcraft
Hmmm...
I wonder how many Expansion packs WoW will actually have....

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
Hmmm...
I wonder how many Expansion packs WoW will actually have....

Why? So you you start beating that "their milking the ip just like EA does" drum again?  ;)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 08:13:17 PM »
Why? So you you start beating that "their milking the ip just like EA does" drum again?  ;)

Maybe.... :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #39 on: Monday, May 14, 2007, 04:04:52 PM »
Hmmm....could Blizz be announcing both Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 possibly?

Must everyone do these countdown things? You probably know that Blizzard will apparently make an announcement on a new game at an event in South Korea on May 19th.  Yesterday the Blizzard site sported a Warcraft-related image and today there's a Diablo shot - I'll let you try to figure it out, although the frontrunner guess seems to be a World of Starcraft followed by Diablo 3.