Author Topic: Your hobby is bad and you should feel bad  (Read 19714 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Your hobby is bad and you should feel bad
« Reply #120 on: Sunday, November 09, 2014, 11:19:13 PM »
I still maintain that it hasn't.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #121 on: Monday, November 10, 2014, 05:40:06 AM »
haha OK sure we are different people with different experiences. I write for several publications and read a lot of newspapers from across the world and I rarely come that word.

On the other hand, you publish a lot of work and read a lot as well, but you come across it more often. We just have different experiences. In my experience the word seems to have gone out of fashion, and in your experience it hasn't.

That being said, I've made it my mission to somehow include the world charlatan more in my writing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #122 on: Monday, November 10, 2014, 05:46:49 AM »
Well, and to be fair it's not the kind of word you'd come across commonly in a newspaper as it clearly renders a firm opinion on something. Not that the global news media is exactly the prime example of unbiased reporting it might once have been, if it ever was, but it's still the sort of thing you'd read more commonly in an opinion piece or in personal conversation or in fiction. But you know it can't be too far from common use since I bet almost everybody here, despite probably not having had much reason to use the word very often, knows what it is without having to look it up. You say "charlatan" and the average person knows exactly what you're trying to evoke by using the word. So it may not be something you see all the time, but infrequency doesn't put it outside of the general English vernacular.

(And yes, I know, useless debate ... I just like talking about languages.)

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野