Author Topic: Holy Fuck.  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Holy Fuck.
« on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 04:40:41 PM »
So I wanted to get Julia a copy of Final Fantasy VII for Christmas because that's the only one we don't have from the PS+ eras, and I am discovering now that the game costs ridiculous fucking amounts of money.  Maybe not Panzer Dragoon Saga amounts of money, but fifty fucking dollars for a game that by all rights should cost ten?  And a lot of them are going for more than that ($80+).  New, sealed copies are well into the hundreds.

Fuck that shit.  I have it on PC because I didn't have a PS when the game came out, and this is sure not making me want to spend any extra cash to get the PS version proper (PC version is a bit wonky, otherwise I wouldn't even be considering this).

Anybody got an old copy they want to sell me cheap just because I'm super nice?  Or know a good place to search for this that isn't fucking ebay/Amazon?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Holy Fuck.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 05:09:35 PM »
Heh, yea classics are expensive. 

And yea, the PC version of FFVII acts strangely and stuff. 

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 05:18:33 PM »
Whats wrong with the PC one?  Just slap a gamepad on there and you're set.  You could also go for a PSX emulator and download the isos.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 05:22:01 PM »
There are a whole bunch of compatibility issues with FFVII and WinXP.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 05:22:14 PM »
The music is a little different with the PC version. It uses whatever midi software still exist with your sound card and generally it doesn't come out as well as it would on the PSone, which is shouldn't because it was designed for the PSone.

I don't know what to say. I thought they made enough copies of the game that finding a copy wouldn't be so expensive.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 08:38:28 PM »
There's copies everywhere.  There's no shortage, it's just people are fucking stupid enough to actually pay these prices for a game that isn't even that old and isn't at all hard to find.  There's no sense in it at all.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 09:42:49 PM »
EB usually have old console games in their discount bins, you might find it in there. A lot of pre-owned stuff too.

If you don't mind downloading a PC version look for FFVII Ultima Edition. It has all sorts of 3rd party fixes and tweaks. It definitely runs on XP, I was playing it a few months back. I was playing it with my Logitech Rumblepad and on the TV. It looked way smoother than the Playstation version.

As for the music, just install the Yamaha XG driver. I think Ultima Edition has the XP compatible version on the ISO as well. If not you can always find it around the net, just search for Yamaha SOFTSYNTH S-YXG50 v4 WinXP. I like the Yamaha driver, it enhances all my midis.

The other option is to download the Playstation ISO's, and run it with a PSX emulator (I recommend ePSXe). I tried that and it's a great alternative as well.

Oddly enough I actually have a PSone sitting right here, but it's PAL and all the TV's in North America (as far as I've seen) are NTSC. Man, everything is multi-system back home. And for some retarded reason every single video system converter in Canada is NTSC to PAL, and they're expensive! Apparently it's for people who are going to another country with a PAL system. Logically wouldn't you buy that over in the PAL country?!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 11:17:55 PM »
EB doesn't stock PS games anymore, not even used ones.  Nobody retail does anymore except independent shops, of which there are... basically none that I know of here.

And yes, I could easily pirate the thing, but Julia likes to play on the actual PS (I prefer that myself), and ePSXe, while generally solid, is still funny enough that it sometimes annoys me.

Eh.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 11:29:12 PM »
If I come across a copy in my travels, I shall let you know. I've looked for some PS1 games since I bought my PS2...but no luck finding much of what I want.

God....I want to play Rally Cross again. That game ruled.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2006, 12:00:25 AM »
My mistake was not buying a PS1 until well after the system's life had gone by.  I was such a diehard PC guy.  I did play most of the greats from that era, but a lot of it was a number of years later.  Though I played with friends and stuff during the system's debut.  Had some great times with Parappa the Rappa and Intelligent Qube.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2006, 12:04:48 AM »
We have three boxes of PS1 games in the electronics back room at work that we are planning on putting in some kind of reduced bin.  I'll take a look through them and see if I can spot a copy of FFVII.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2006, 12:35:20 AM »
EB doesn't stock PS games anymore, not even used ones.  Nobody retail does anymore except independent shops, of which there are... basically none that I know of here.

And yes, I could easily pirate the thing, but Julia likes to play on the actual PS (I prefer that myself), and ePSXe, while generally solid, is still funny enough that it sometimes annoys me.

Eh.
Seriously? The EB in the mall near my house still has N64 and SNES games in their discount bin! Even a few classic Gameboy cartridges. They're all pre-owned, but hey they work!

Having the original PS copy is priceless though :) Well, maybe not "priceless".. a good price reflecting its age would be nice (it's like 9-10 years old).

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2006, 12:41:42 AM »
Now I'm not positive, but I do believe that there are 2 copies of the game somewhere at my Moms place. My brother bought it way back when it first came out and I ended up buying it years later when it was 20$. Problem is "if" its there, its at my Moms place which is a drive away and I dont have plans of going to Nashville anytime soon. But if your not needing it right away and if I do find it, I'll be more than happy to give it to you.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2006, 07:31:57 AM »
Thanks Tet and Pyro, you guys rock.  Seriously.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2006, 10:51:26 AM »
Try and get your hands on Suikoden 2 for the original PS. Man..
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2006, 11:50:39 AM »
I find it hard to believe they don't even stock games for the PSone anymore, especially when they were selling NES, GB, and whatever games just a few months ago like Xesseive said. They probably just don't list many online anymore.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2006, 07:56:34 PM »
Well, none of the stores I frequent have them anymore.  They used to, but they took down all the displays.  You can still find GB stuff, but I haven't seen anything pre-PS2 in ages.  They were phasing out Dreamcast stuff long, long ago, and PS1 games went not long after.  A few stores might still have them, but their selection is always shit.  Even before they phased them out nobody *ever* had good PS1 games, barring some flukes.  I used to look almost every day for probably 6 months on my way home from work, only games I ever found worth buying were the first two Oddworlds.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: Friday, December 01, 2006, 10:35:28 PM »
Sorry Que, I looked all through our backstock of PS1 games and didn't see it, not really many good games in there at all actually.  I'll keep an eye out at the local Gamestops around here and if I can get to the other side of town sometime, I'll look at this small local game retailer that keeps a good stock of hard to find games.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, December 02, 2006, 02:10:34 PM »
Well thanks dude, I appreciate the efforts.  Worse comes to worse I'll just do the ISO/ePSXe thing and Julia can play it that way, but we'll probably hold out a while yet and see if I can't at least find a reasonable price.  Just hard to justify spending that kind of cash on an old game that should be so cheap when we can barely afford half the new games we want, you know?  But last I heard there were some unofficial patches for the PC version that got it up to speed on PC (surprising amount of people still play the PC version, which I find hard to believe... but there you have it!), so we could probably still do that if worse really came to worse.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, December 07, 2006, 01:49:51 PM »
*sigh* I wish you caught me like 7 years ago when I sold the game.  ;D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 10:08:34 AM »
Well, none of the stores I frequent have them anymore.  They used to, but they took down all the displays.  You can still find GB stuff, but I haven't seen anything pre-PS2 in ages.  They were phasing out Dreamcast stuff long, long ago, and PS1 games went not long after.  A few stores might still have them, but their selection is always shit.  Even before they phased them out nobody *ever* had good PS1 games, barring some flukes.  I used to look almost every day for probably 6 months on my way home from work, only games I ever found worth buying were the first two Oddworlds.

Speaking of the Oddworld PC games...

Steam currently has The Oddworld Pack (comes w/ Abe's Exoddus and Abe's Oddysee) are $13.49 to buy-to-download.

This deal's going on until Sept 4th.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 10:19:37 AM »
D, you could have made a new thread instead of bumping this one from 2006.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 10:36:28 AM »
D, you could have made a new thread instead of bumping this one from 2006.

Point taken.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 11:28:29 AM »
I'd like to know more of these Oddworld gamers.  Someone should start a new thread anyways.