Overwritten.net
Community => Entertainment => Topic started by: K-man on Sunday, July 22, 2007, 02:40:25 PM
-
And purchase The Watchmen.
While everyone else was buying Harry Potter the other night, I waited in line with a copy of this. This book is epic and very deserving of your attention.
GO NOW
-
Refresh my memory on this. It's a comic, right?
-
Yep. 12 issues, now in TPB. Epic
Off topic, i'm trying to put up a new avatar but the site is telling me that my pic is either too large or not an avatar. It's 100x70 at 5.5 kb. What am I doing wrong here?
-
Make sure you're using a supported filetype... otherwise, I have no idea. 100x100 should be fine. Try converting to .JPG or .GIF or something?
-
It is a jpg =/
how weird.
-
I don't know dude. Do you have the URL for it? I'll look at it and see if I notice anything.
And that's sweet about the comic. I love when things get collected and stuck into nice big books. I recently picked up the giant-ass Compendium for The Darkness (http://www.amazon.com/Darkness-1-Compendium-Marc-Silvestri/dp/1582408017/ref=pd_bbs_1/105-4983187-1310826?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185142382&sr=8-1) for like 30 bucks, which is fucking amazing (it wasn't the hardcover one, though... I can't seem to find the paperback one I got). 1280 pages. That's a lot of freaking comic.
I've been meaning to check out The Watchmen, though. This might be a good time to do it.
This the edition you got? (http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Alan-Moore/dp/0930289234/ref=pd_bbs_2/105-4983187-1310826?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185142472&sr=1-2)
-
Yep. That's the exact edition.
And the file url is
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1628/rorschachzb0lf1.jpg
-
And with that i figured out the problem. It didn't resize
-
I'll have to track that book down. It's cheap!
-
It's considered the standard for graphic novels. Should be available at any bookstore
-
Watchmen is good stuff, one of my favorite series besides The Sandman.
-
If you pick up the Watchmen, it's a good idea to pick up The Absolute Watchmen edition. Everything is recolored and it has a ton of sketches, scripts, and other awesome extras.
Now let's just hope that Zack Snyder can turn this into a decent movie.
-
Trailer is out (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/)
Looks pretty good. I borrowed the book after my friend finished reading it at the lake this weekend and read a bit on the drive back down. I think I'm roughly five issues in and it seems pretty serious and awesome.
-
After watching the trailer I've decided to get this sometime before the movie comes out.
-
Trailer actually looks pretty boss. It certainly isn't a guarantee of goodness, especially with the dude who did 300 directing this (I liked the movie, just thought it indulged itself a bit too much, or way too much in some cases), but it definitely looks tasty.
I've been in a comic mood lately, I really should get around to picking this up.
-
I'm not a huge comic fan, but this is actually pretty awesome all around.
-
Now I'm extremely curious. I'll be reading the comics shortly. March '09 for the movie, though. So far away.
-
I picked this up along with the whole Sin City library. Am also currently reading The Dark Knight Returns, which is just as awesome as everyone said it was.
-
Ok, I finished this a day or so ago and to be perfectly honest I was a bit let down. It's not that it wasn't really good for a comic book, it's just that it had been built up at something more and as someone who's not a huge comic book fan (although I did purchase some Fables books on a whim at the bookstore last year) it just kind of didn't pan out into the epic literary masterpiece I was lead to believe it would.
Again, I thought it was really good, but people hyped it up way too much. It does, however, seem like it would translate into a movie well.
-
That's the impression I've been getting from what I've read on the internet. A lot of people consider this and The Dark Knight Returns to be the best comics ever, but then on the other hand a lot of people considering The Dark Knight Returns to be the best comic ever and Watchmen to be nowhere near comparison. It's kind of interesting how one-sided it is in that regard. Your description of it sounds like what I've heard from a lot of comic vets who don't happen to be so far on the side of loving both, and I suspect that's probably where I'll fall into things as well. But I'll reserve judgment until I read it... and I'm quite sure that I'll enjoy it regardless.
I really do have to bestow more praise upon TDKR, though. It's very cool to read after seeing the Dark Knight film. Obviously the things aren't related, but you can definitely see how much inspiration was drawn from the thing in terms of tone. And if you want a literary work, you've got one there. Sure, it's still just a comic, and maybe some of the stuff is just slightly inflated for the sake of an idea or two, but it's really quite a beautiful thing that (thus far, at least) hasn't felt at all cheap or exaggerated. I'm really impressed, and I think it's definitely the kind of thing that bears several repeat readings due to its depth.
-
That's the impression I've been getting from what I've read on the internet. A lot of people consider this and The Dark Knight Returns to be the best comics ever, but then on the other hand a lot of people considering The Dark Knight Returns to be the best comic ever and Watchmen to be nowhere near comparison. It's kind of interesting how one-sided it is in that regard. Your description of it sounds like what I've heard from a lot of comic vets who don't happen to be so far on the side of loving both, and I suspect that's probably where I'll fall into things as well. But I'll reserve judgment until I read it... and I'm quite sure that I'll enjoy it regardless.
I really do have to bestow more praise upon TDKR, though. It's very cool to read after seeing the Dark Knight film. Obviously the things aren't related, but you can definitely see how much inspiration was drawn from the thing in terms of tone. And if you want a literary work, you've got one there. Sure, it's still just a comic, and maybe some of the stuff is just slightly inflated for the sake of an idea or two, but it's really quite a beautiful thing that (thus far, at least) hasn't felt at all cheap or exaggerated. I'm really impressed, and I think it's definitely the kind of thing that bears several repeat readings due to its depth.
Glad to hear you're enjoying TDKR. You should consider picking up Batman: Year One, which was written by Miller as well and was used as some of the basis for Batman Begins, though very lightly. The Long Halloween is another good one and elements of it show up in The Dark Knight movie. You may or may not end up liking The Dark Knight Strikes Again which is the sequel to TDKR, but done in a completely different art style, which turned a lot of people off and is a lot weirder in both the writing and art department, not as good as TDKR but still a great read.
-
Ok, I finished this a day or so ago and to be perfectly honest I was a bit let down. It's not that it wasn't really good for a comic book, it's just that it had been built up at something more and as someone who's not a huge comic book fan (although I did purchase some Fables books on a whim at the bookstore last year) it just kind of didn't pan out into the epic literary masterpiece I was lead to believe it would.
Again, I thought it was really good, but people hyped it up way too much. It does, however, seem like it would translate into a movie well.
Watchmen is one of those series that benefits greatly from a second read through. The first time around you're very concerned with keeping up with everyone and everything. Plus, some things become apparent during the second read that you wouldn't notice or know to look for the first go round.
-
Read thru 4 chapters and going thru 5th. I love the comprehensive detail. There are multiple interrelated layers weaved together. The storyline has my full attention so far.
-
Just picked up Dark Knight Returns and Absolute Watchmen. Borders has this sweet 40% off coupon code so I got it for a decent price. yay
-
I'm done. Good reading. While the plot is definitely comic book, the way the tale was constructed made it more interesting than usual. Don't skip over any seemingly superfluous tangents. Now to hope they don't screw up the film.
-
I've always wanted a shirt that says "Who Watches the Watchmen" And maybe have the bloody smiley face on it somewhere. But I have never seen anything like that.
-
New Watchmen Trailer! (http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/watchmen.html?showVideo=1)
Oh man. I can't wait to see this.
-
Very cool. Love that Philip Glass tune from Koyaanisqatsi. It really fits well in GTA IV, and I heard it plenty of times there.
-
No one else saw this?
Whoever hasn't watched this is a d-bag. That is all.
-
yeah, watched this shortly after you posted it. it looks badass. think i'm going to watch it again now, actually...
-
I think I liked the original trailer better, but I have to say, that was still damn good. I really need to get off my ass and read that. I have it sitting in a drawer with my other comics waiting to be read, and I've just kept putting it off. I still need to finish the last bit of The Dark Knight Returns too.
-
Word is they may have changed the ending in the movie. If that actually happened I'll be pretty disappointed.
-
You know, I'm having trouble getting into the book, too. Not because I don't appreciate what's there, but because I think I'm afraid it's going to turn into a giant political rant like V for Vendetta, which I completely hated. Because I can't get behind Moore's political views even a little bit, but was led to believe that Watchmen was less political and more psychological. But after reading the first bit, I'm beginning to think I was lied to. This displeases me. Moore is a really smart guy in a lot of ways, and uniquely creative, but fuck if I know why anybody wants to listen to his views on anything that actually matters.
-
Watchmen, sort of a behind the scenes video. It's like 4 minutes long. But awesome! (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/video/index.jsp)
-
You know, I'm having trouble getting into the book, too. Not because I don't appreciate what's there, but because I think I'm afraid it's going to turn into a giant political rant like V for Vendetta, which I completely hated. Because I can't get behind Moore's political views even a little bit, but was led to believe that Watchmen was less political and more psychological. But after reading the first bit, I'm beginning to think I was lied to. This displeases me. Moore is a really smart guy in a lot of ways, and uniquely creative, but fuck if I know why anybody wants to listen to his views on anything that actually matters.
I know this is old, but I got through it alright and didn't really notice anything being overly politicized. There's obviously some shit in it, but only at the level where you can take it as a part of the story and not some sort of manifesto. I also didn't really see anything overly psychological or deep in general, but that might just be me.
And I hear you about Moore. That guy is a fucking clown. Note that I'm judging him based off of his looks and like three quotes of his that I've seen.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5M8cVdwgs
If this clip is anything to go from, I won't be watching the movie anytime soon.
-
It does seem like they're trying to add a bunch of action to something that didn't really have much, but it's a movie about superheroes, what do you want? This is the same director as 300, which was a bloody fun action flick even though it tore most of the soul out of the original material, so it wouldn't surprise me to see something at least somewhat similar happen here.
Plus, it's very hard to judge a scene like that out of context with the rest of the movie. Cheesy superheroes, but that's kind of the point. Besides that, it was obviously unfinished, missing a bunch of audio, etc. I see no reason to be *that* skeptical over it.
-
Yea it looks like a B-movie scene.
But Que is right, it probably looks worse out of context.
edit:
I agree that it is unfair to judge with the scene unfinished and lacking final audio, but it does bother me how overproduced it already is. There is a lot of action forwarding and slo mo'ing for affect, which is quite cheesy in a music video sorta way.
-
Again, look at the last comic movie the guy did. Certainly no masterpiece of faithful recreation like Rodriguez with Sin City. A fun flick, pretty, and with an extremely well-cast lead role, but a movie that was a shadow of what it was on the page.
-
Sure, but 300's action oriented content still fell in line with the movie, even if the movie was brainless. The Watchmen, I feel, deserves different treatment.
Anyway, it is too early to say anything. That is just one scene, and it isn't even the final version. Who knows how the raw footage was edited in the final cut. And Jack Snyder has only done a few movies, so I can't say that just because he did 300 a certain way, he will give the same treatment to every film he ever does.
Besides, Kevin Smith really liked it, and I am inclined to trust his opinion on something like this.
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/08/watchmen-update.html
Kevin Smith (pictured) — who apparently was invited to see the film at Snyder’s invitation shortly after Comic-Con last month — has posted an unabashed rave for Watchmen over at MySpace: “I saw Watchmen. It’s f---ing astounding. The Non-Disclosure Agreement I signed prevents me from saying much, but I can spout the following with complete joygasmic enthusiasm: Snyder and Co. have pulled it off. Remember that feeling of watching Sin City on the big screen and being blown away by what a faithful translation of the source material it was, in terms of both content and visuals? Triple that, and you’ll come close to watching Watchmen.”
Of course, depending on how you felt about Sin City, Smith’s assessment may or may not strike you as impressive. So EW.com asked Smith — currently prepping his R-rated lewd laugher Zack and Miri Make A Porno for a Halloween premiere — to expand just a smidge: “My God, the flick is amazing.” Okay. And? “Anything more and I start getting phone calls.” Fair enough.
But all is not rosy...
Smith’s gush might be encouraging for those who’ve long doubted that even a good film could be distilled out of Watchmen’s dense, complex story, let alone one that’s “f---ing astounding.” But there is still reason to worry: as EW reported in July, Snyder is currently endeavoring to trim a nearly three-hour version of Watchmen (which is believed to be the iteration Smith saw) down to two hours and 25 minutes, the studio’s desired running time, even though Snyder’s preference is that the movie be released as long as possible.
I understand studios being a bit apprehensive about length, but after TDK, you'd think they'd let it go at 3 hours.
-
It does seem like they're trying to add a bunch of action to something that didn't really have much, but it's a movie about superheroes, what do you want? This is the same director as 300, which was a bloody fun action flick even though it tore most of the soul out of the original material, so it wouldn't surprise me to see something at least somewhat similar happen here.
Plus, it's very hard to judge a scene like that out of context with the rest of the movie. Cheesy superheroes, but that's kind of the point. Besides that, it was obviously unfinished, missing a bunch of audio, etc. I see no reason to be *that* skeptical over it.
Really? I find little to be optimistic about from that clip. The whole tone of that scene in the comic is what the fuck are we doing/we're out of our element/this is harder than we thought. It's supposed to a somewhat scary, suspenseful scene. This is a let's have one prisoner run at us one at a time while we disarm them with awful choreography and techno music.
That said, I'm not really that big of a fan of Watchmen anyways. I read the book and thought that the second half sucked compare to the first and didn't think the movie would be anything beyond average before watching that clip.
-
Who or what is that wussified Batman knock off?
I know very little of the Watchmen. Actually I know practically nothing about the book or the movie. I'm only mildly interested in the movie. That's only because I'm generally interested in super hero movies.
EDIT:
Btw that scene was pure cheese. Not the good kind.
-
Really? I find little to be optimistic about from that clip. The whole tone of that scene in the comic is what the fuck are we doing/we're out of our element/this is harder than we thought. It's supposed to a somewhat scary, suspenseful scene. This is a let's have one prisoner run at us one at a time while we disarm them with awful choreography and techno music.
That said, I'm not really that big of a fan of Watchmen anyways. I read the book and thought that the second half sucked compare to the first and didn't think the movie would be anything beyond average before watching that clip.
You forget I haven't read the whole thing. And again, while what you say seems to make sense, it could still work out to be at least closer to that original idea in context than with just the scene itself. *Shrug*
-
Here's a fairly long story on the upcoming movie, so full of plot SPOILERS (for those who have not read the comic book series) that I thought I should hide it behind the appropriate tags:
[spoiler]http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20259927,00.html[/spoiler]
-
Interesting writeup. I didn't really see that many spoilers. I'm definitely curious... but I really should get around to finishing reading the damned thing.
-
That said, I'm not really that big of a fan of Watchmen anyways. I read the book and thought that the second half sucked compare to the first and didn't think the movie would be anything beyond average before watching that clip.
I concur. Well, the movie might turn out alright, but the whole thing is really overrated. I'm not really a comic book guy, with my experience pretty much limited to old Spider-Man comics when i was like 10, a few Fables books, and The Watchmen, but i wasn't really all that impressed by it.
-
Wow, it's getting some majorly mixed reviews at Metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/watchmen?q=Watchmen).
The scores range from 100% all the way down to 20%!
EDIT:
Holy crap doesn't this guy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0604747/) look like he could totally be Javier Bardem's bro?!
-
4 stars from Ebert (out of 4) (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090304/REVIEWS/903049997)
-
Curiouser and curiouser. If I could be bothered to go see movies, I'd probably check it out just due to curiosity, but at this point... eh. Who knows.
-
I’m not sure I understood all the nuances and implications, but I am sure I had a powerful experience.
Hmm. So he has the warm and fuzzies, but isn't sure why. As I recently said in the Dark Knight thread, I find its story way too flawed, yet this same gentleman had nothing but praise for it. Having read The Watchmen (and knowing the movie follows faithfully) I won't have that problem with the film. But I don't trust Ebert's assessments in this genre. If he isn't even sure why he had a good experience, I have to wonder if the reason is entirely in his head. He seems partisan to superhero movies "growing up". If so, he has a vested interest in their success, which would taint his analysis.
I'm very interested in the movie, and I'm hoping for the best. I just don't feel any more positive about it after this review, which is to say that I still don't know if it's really any good at all.
-
Taking critics seriously is always a bad idea, but especially when it comes to movies.
-
The only reason for critics is to give us a way to weed out stinkers before we waste our time and money on them. I know they can't be trusted completely because of all the subjectivity involved. But you can get a general good feeling about an individual critic's reviews. In the past, I've agreed with much of what Roger Ebert has said. But he let me down with The Dark Knight, and he used that particular opinion to introduce his Watchmen review. So I have to give his assessment of it less credence than he usually gets from me.
-
Well, yeah... that's kind of what I meant. I often agree with the guy, but there are times when I can't fathom how he came to any of his conclusions. And in general, I find that movie reviews are too inconsistent to be trustworthy. They may be interesting in retrospect, but I never take their advice on whether or not to see a movie, unless there's one specific piece of information (one that isn't too subjective) that will dictate whether or not I go.
-
I generally wait to compare between the critic reviews and the reader/player/viewer reviews.
-
I just got back from this a little while ago and I really enjoyed it. Probably one of my favorite aspects of the movie was the guy they got to play Rorshach. There is a semi significant change in the movie that is different from the comic that I know some people are going to gripe about but it didn't bother me as much. Overall, though it is pretty faithful to the comic.
Also, the slow mo fight scene in the prison that someone posted earlier, there is hardly any other scenes like that with the slow motion. It is used very sparingly on the action scenes which were all well done.
-
Good to hear Belmont!
-
Thanks for the update BelTet! Sorry I keep referring to you as Tetsuo in my mind but this time I decided to add in your new moniker, dubbing you BelTet! Or Tetmont..
I'm gonna watch it anyway just coz I'm in the mood for a superhero movie.
Btw, I tried out the Watchmen: The End Is Nigh demo on PS3.. It's was so-so.. But finally a 2-player beat 'em up on PS3!! This is the genre consoles were made for!
-
Curiouser and curiouser. If I could be bothered to go see movies, I'd probably check it out just due to curiosity, but at this point... eh. Who knows.
Well, isn't there supposed to be some 3 hour-plus "Extended Cut" either going to theatres and/or to DVD, in some point in time?
-
I haven't watched it yet but apparently it's censored up-the-wazoo in this part of the world. Something to do with consistent nudity and a blue dude.
-
Dr Manhattan, naked ethereal blue dude.
-
Don't call him Tetmont. He hates that. Which is probably why I say it to him all the time.
-
Wow. That movie is amazing. I mean, visually, it's breath taking. And I don't think I've seen an adaptation stay so true to the source material.
My only complaint is that the ending was slightly different, but it worked really well. And there is no black freight! But I see why they didn't add that.
So so good!
-
so i saw this today and my response? Meh.
it wasnt bad but i didnt like it that much either. should be noted i never read the comics.
-
here was the absolute highlight of the movie for me
http://www.businessinsider.com/watchmen-opening-credits-are-on-the-internet-forever-now-clip-2009-3
no spoilers. why? cause its the first 5 minutes of the film. only went downhill from here
-
I've had a few days to let it digest, going back and forth about how I feel about the movie. In short I'm glad the movie was made, and I think Snyder did the best he could (especially considering some of the uphill battles he had to fight with the movie execs). Ultimately though, it doesn't come close to the graphic novel. Anyone who went into the movie thinking it would was setting themselves up for disappointment from the beginning. I think the best anyone could hope for was a reasonably clear facsimile of the novel, and I think Snyder delivered. Even though some changes were made to cater to the audience that hasn't read the novel, it is readily apparent that the movie was still for the most part lost on them. And hell, it's not their fault. They're unable to rightfully appreciate 75% of the movie because they have no frame of reference to do so. It was a movie made for "us" and thus will suffer at the box office because of it. I was absolutely amazed when I caught the Saturday night show and there was maybe a total of 40 people in the theater (my party being five of them).
Some people said that it was an unnecessary movie, and I can definitely agree with that somewhat. But I don't think Watchmen is any worse-off by this movie being made. It was full of "THEY GOT IT RIGHT!" moments, despite the pock marks that have been discussed to death. Snyder's heart was definitely in the right place when he made this film, and I can't wait to see the extended cut.
-
Wow. That movie is amazing. I mean, visually, it's breath taking. And I don't think I've seen an adaptation stay so true to the source material.
My only complaint is that the ending was slightly different, but it worked really well. And there is no black freight! But I see why they didn't add that.
So so good!
The Black Freighter is being released March 24.
-
I went to the theater today and saw this. Keep in mind, guys -- I have never read the comics. I thought the film was very good.
It never felt too long or too long-winded to me -- which is a surprise, considering it is around 160 minutes. I think it probably is b/c the film took its time in explaining the origins of these characters and making you actually care about them. It didn't feel rushed -- though, since this is based on a comic series, I'm still guessing a lot of stuff was probably still left out.
The visuals were excellent and so were the action scenes.
Oh, and let me saw this now -- Rorschach was awesome.
For those who read the book and seen the movie only -- can you tell me what's the difference in the endings y'all were talking about in some spoiler tags?
-
I went to the theater today and saw this. Keep in mind, guys -- I have never read the comics. I thought the film was very good.
It never felt too long or too long-winded to me -- which is a surprise, considering it is around 160 minutes. I think it probably is b/c the film took its time in explaining the origins of these characters and making you actually care about them. It didn't feel rushed -- though, since this is based on a comic series, I'm still guessing a lot of stuff was probably still left out.
The visuals were excellent and so were the action scenes.
Oh, and let me saw this now -- Rorschach was awesome.
For those who read the book and seen the movie only -- can you tell me what's the difference in the endings y'all were talking about in some spoiler tags?
[spoiler]In the book, Ozymandias attacked New York with monsters that he created on some island. The governments of Earth banded together not because of Dr. Manhattan but against what they perceived as an alien threat.[/spoiler]
-
Thanks, AngryKeeb.
Wow, that's actually quite a difference...
-
After having read the graphic novel last year, I have nothing but praise for this adaptation to film. It's a very difficult comics series to translate that way. I doubt the job could have been much better, given the realities of the medium (such as running time). Some parts are mesmerizing. The whole backstory on Dr Manhattan set to Philip Glass music from Koyaanisqatsi was the greatest highlight for me. There are others.
I read that a 186-minute director's cut, with the traditionally animated "Tales of the Black Freighter" interspersed as in the comic books, is in the works. I'd like to see that too when it becomes available. I did watch "Tales" by itself, and it too is worthy.
-
I'm only about halfway through the graphic novel but I was impressed with how loyal the film was to it (at least the parts I could compare). Overall I enjoyed it. I liked the character back-stories too.
The characters I could most closely relate to were Rorschach and Nite Owl.
The character I could least relate to was Dr. Manhattan. I couldn't empathize with him or condone his reasoning.
-
I've read the graphic novel and liked it a lot.. but I haven't had a chance to see this movie yet. I'm not sure if I want to buy it or just rent it.
-
I'm thinking a director's cut that goes over the 3-hour mark in order to more closely track the book would be the one to buy. Such fancy versions usually bring along the theatrical release as well, which would be the one to rent by itself.
I agree that Dr Manhattan is the least human, and therefore hard to identify with. He is more like a budding deity. Humanity becomes more distant to him as time passes. I really liked Rorschach too, including the actor's performance.
-
Yeah Jackie Earle Haley was born to play Rorschach
-
I saw the director's cut and I really like it. I don't know what's been added to it, but it definitely feels like a very accurate representation of what the graphic novel was. I didn't mind the change to how it ended as well.
-
Did it intersperse parts of "Tales of the Black Freighter" through the movie, as in the graphic novel? That would be a big change.
-
Did it intersperse parts of "Tales of the Black Freighter" through the movie, as in the graphic novel? That would be a big change.
No, it doesn't. When I heard about this movie and saw the teaser I read the graphic novel. There is a lot (story wise) that had to be left out to time restraints, but overall I still liked it. I think the biggest gripe you'll hear is about the different ending, which was done to please the masses. I would watch it again.
-
I believe the Black Freighter stuff will be added in as part of an 'Ultimate Cut' of the film that will be released in December. It will have the cartoon or something of the Black Freighter which was released separately woven into the actual film.
That aside though, it still really captures a lot of what was in the graphic novel.
-
I believe the Black Freighter stuff will be added in as part of an 'Ultimate Cut' of the film that will be released in December. It will have the cartoon or something of the Black Freighter which was released separately woven into the actual film.
That aside though, it still really captures a lot of what was in the graphic novel.
Yeah I was thinking yesterday "Shit man when is the ultimate cut going to be released?". Then I did some investigation and realized it came out November 9. How I hadn't seen a copy before now is beyond me. Either way it's ordered. Comes with the Black Freighter portions intertwined. Also has the complete motion comics and a digital copy of the theatrical version. 4 discs in all. VERY glad I didn't buy any of the standalone stuff.