Overwritten.net
Games => General Gaming => Topic started by: MysterD on Wednesday, October 24, 2007, 10:56:10 AM
-
Purchased Today
For games, I picked up today from my nearby Big Lots...
--Indigo Prophecy for $6
--Still Life (aka Post Mortem 2) for $6
--Act of War: DVD-ROM Double Pack for $6
(Double Pack comes w/ both Act of War: High Treason & Act of War: Direct Action, both on separate DVD-ROM's)
--Area 51 for $6
--True Crime: NYC for $4
So, anybody buy lots of games lately?
Anybody buy any cheap games lately?
Hell, anybody just buy anything lately?
-
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer!
I'm holding out for Gears of War, UT3, and The Witcher.
I did stumble upon a whole bunch of my NES and Genesis cartridges from my younger years! I'm playing a bunch of the games my brother and I used to play growing up. Snow Bros. still kicks ass :D
The only other thing I did get was a bunch of games from Bigfish Games:
- Interpol: The Trail of Doctor Chaos
- Forgotten Riddles: The Mayan Princess
- Spiderz!
- Safecracker
-
I bought Beautiful Katamari for the 360, which is cheap by that standard ($40). Unfortunately, it seems to be the bastard child of the series. It's criminally short, and gee, isn't it nice that there's going to be download content to make up for that, like starting today. It's the worst scenario of DLC abuse in the flesh. I guess the argument will be that as long as the whole thing stays under $60, you didn't get reamed a new asshole. I don't quite agree.
It's still a Katamari game, though, and I have a weakness for those. Everything works as before, sparse though it may feel in comparison to the best, which imho is We Love Katamari (PS2). The graphics are no more detailed, but they are very sharp and fluid at 720p, and there is no load time as the scale changes, from puny to planet-sized.
I also grabbed Orange Box (360) although I have yet to touch it, and Crash of the Titans (360) on the strength of the demo, also so far untouched.
On XBLA, I tried Exit, released yesterday. Looks like a perfect port of the PSP version. I almost paid for the full game, but there was a problem with XBL not being able to retrieve info on my account. By the time that straightened itself out, the impulse passed.
-
Don't you love it when the impulse to buy something passes, and you think... woah..
But then you know the impulse will return and it is useless to resist.
I am sorry, I've just been buying transformers toys again. :(
-
Don't you love it when the impulse to buy something passes, and you think... woah..
But then you know the impulse will return and it is useless to resist.
Yeah, I get cha.
Often, I feel I can wait on a game to release and let it drop it price.
But when I see something I really want -- especially if it's on sale for a good price or at a major reduced priced, that impulse doesn't hesitate.
Anytime I go to Big Lots, that's when my impulse is at its biggest. I just see a game I been wanting to play or two or three or four or five or six for $4-6 a piece, I just say, "WTF! If it ain't good, $4-6 is not a big loss to me!"
Every now and then, I get the nasty urge for a game like Oblivion, Bioshock, or The Witcher -- in which I really just can't wait to get it and have to get it ASAP, not caring too much of much I throw down on the game.
-
Last time I was in Target they had Rome: Total War for $5. Somehow I managed to resist buying it. I know I'm not really into RTS games but...it was only $5.
-
You should have gone for it!
-
Just galloping along the open field with all your troops on horseback for a big hairy clash of swords is worth $5, even if you only do it once.
-
Damnit...now I hope they still have copies when I go back.
-
(http://home.cinci.rr.com/jgoods/images/RomeTW02.jpg)
You know you want it!
-
You people are horrible. I'm trying *not* to impulse buy cheap games I won't play more than once.
Damn you!
-
lol I am not trying to make you feel bad, but you should experience that game at least once. It can be quite awesome, with its MASSIVE MASSIVE armies.
-
I started playing Indigo last night. Started at around 10pm. Couldn't stop til like 2am w/ it. Yeah, this one's a pretty good adventure game.
I hope it keeps it up.
How Far I Am In The Game
[spoiler]I'm at the part where Carla's going Claustrophobic part into the Police Station's archives, in the basement of the place[/spoiler]
-
It won't. Great game through the first half, but then it just gets beyond stupid. Still, it was worth playing, and if you got it cheap, so much the better.
-
I agree with Que that Indigo Prophecy got weird for the second half of the game, but overall it was a decent game. Actually I think I'm gonna reinstall it :P
-
Man, I so hated it. Such a great game with a promising start and then it just got so, so fucking stupid. Utter tripe. I could never play that shit again it was such a letdown. I'm still glad I played it once, though.
-
Man, I so hated it. Such a great game with a promising start and then it just got so, so fucking stupid. Utter tripe. I could never play that shit again it was such a letdown. I'm still glad I played it once, though.
Haha I can totally understand your gripes with it man hehe
I wonder what QuanticDreams are up to now.. There was that Hard Heavy Rain (working title) trailer a while back.. I wonder when that will be done. I kinda hope they also make a follow-up to Omikron: The Nomad Soul at some point in the future.
Getting back to the cheap games, Safecracker is starting to tweak my brain.
-
Quantic Dream is working on Omikron 2, actually.
I have a thread on that, somewhere...
I'll go find it...
Shit, I still ain't played Omikron 1.
A game w/ lots of David Bowie music just can't suck. :P
EDIT:
Actually, Idol began the thread on the old Mind's Eye boards about Omikron 2.
Omikron 2 announced for PC and next-gen consoles. (http://z7.invisionfree.com/The_Minds_Eye/index.php?showtopic=4370)
We don't know much about the sequel right now, just that it was announced after them and Eidos had their little fallout, basically.
Also, it's worth noting they're working on another thriller game (but without supernatural elements Fahrenheit / Indigo had), which is called Heavy Rain: The Origami Killer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Rain), as well.
-
How the Hell did I miss that?! It must have been around the time I was MIA.
That's awesome news! Well old news, but it's awesome!
-
How the Hell did I miss that?! It must have been around the time I was MIA.
That's awesome news! Well old news, but it's awesome!
Well, the news is brand new to you. :)
Hell, I need to find me a copy of Omikron: The Nomad Soul.
-
Indigo Prophecy
What is w/ the sudden over-abundance of "interactive action sequences" where you have to match the cursor motion w/ what is shown to do on-screen here???
I like these sequences -- you know, when they're here and there; not when we have a handful of them in a row!
Why is this just so over-used, all of sudden???
I like the game, but did they have to beat these to death, all of sudden?
-
I think they were kinda going with the "New York Shenmue" or something.
-
I already bitched at length about this sad trend in the Jericho thread. Remember the FMV-based on rails games that thankfully failed? That's what this shit reminds me of.
-
Todays scores:
STALKER - $15
Prey Collectors Edition - $10
-
Directed To Idol
Todays scores:
STALKER - $15
Prey Collectors Edition - $10
Great scores.
STALKER is awesome. Get playin'. NOW. You can't go wrong w/ STALKER. Period. One of the best FPS's this year.
And Prey Collector's Ed is quite good.
Indigo Prophecy
Man, this game was going so amazing and great in the first 2/3rd's of the game, working on every level. First 2/3rd's had a small limited amount of interactive cut-scenes, stealth moments, and action moments, which worked. And the storytelling and voice acting, to say the least, was quite good. I was feeling that this could've been the best adventure game I've EVER played....
...But then, it all freakin' falls apart! :( It heads into the last 1/3rd of the game, into interactive cut-scene mania. It becomes less of an adventure game, unfortunately -- which is what made the first 2/3rd's so good and compelling!! There still are some decisions to make and a puzzle or two, here and there -- but, not as much as the first 2/3rd's -- so, it becomes less of a game, even!
The Whole Game Story, In a NutShell Spoilers...
[spoiler]Throw on top of this that the game becomes a full-fledge "supernatural" story, which never really needed to take center stage here; especially since this half is such a departure from the the first 2/3rd's. The shift of story really shows last the last 1/3rd feels completely underdeveloped and extremely rushed. It lost focus on the part of Lucas saving Lucas and the cops arresting Lucas, which was all about the first half of the game -- in the last 3rd, it suddenly changes into an unnecessary "saving the world" theme and the predictable "the leader character (Lucas) must sleep with the character trying to stop him (Carla)," they must save a kidnapped character (some blessed Indigo Child who'll save the world)...[/spoiler]
All I can say about Indigo was that it was good....but damn, it could've and should've been the best adventure game ever made, w/ all it had going for it in the first 2/3rds of the game...
-
Scored some stuff at Target today:
Splinter Cell: Conviction - PC = $12.48
Kane & Lynch 2: Dogs Days - PC = $12.48
Disciples II: Gold Edition - PC = $4.98
[contains Dark Prophecy, Guardians of Light, Servants of the Dark, Rise of the Elves]
Fritz Chess: Grandmaster Challenge III - PC = $2.48
-
I recently jumped on two deals for some digital download games, got Amnesia for $10 and Super Meat Boy for $10 (its going up to $15 next month I think). I'm trying not to buy anymore games right now until I finish a little of my backlog which has finally been getting significantly smaller over the last few months.
-
I recently jumped on two deals for some digital download games, got Amnesia for $10 and Super Meat Boy for $10 (its going up to $15 next month I think). I'm trying not to buy anymore games right now until I finish a little of my backlog which has finally been getting significantly smaller over the last few months.
My back-log seems to get worse and worse w/ each week - hehe.
You gotta' let us know what you think of Amnesia. :)
-
I thought about picking up Prototype for PS3 at Target tonight, it was $20. But I wasn't sure and I have a trip coming up so probably shouldn't be spending the money. Grrr.
-
I thought about picking up Prototype for PS3 at Target tonight, it was $20. But I wasn't sure and I have a trip coming up so probably shouldn't be spending the money. Grrr.
I played Prototype on the PC - yeah, it's pretty kick-ass.