Overwritten.net

Community => Entertainment => Topic started by: PyroMenace on Saturday, November 10, 2007, 05:33:45 AM

Title: No Country for Old Men
Post by: PyroMenace on Saturday, November 10, 2007, 05:33:45 AM
Just watch the trailer so you can mark you calenders for this one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YLfpDBzhFI)
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: MysterD on Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 07:23:05 PM
I wanna see this one.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: nickclone on Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 08:03:24 PM
I've heard its more of a character driven movie than anything else.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: PyroMenace on Thursday, November 15, 2007, 11:04:02 AM
Its a Coen brothers movie, so yea, its going to be character driven which I expect it to be.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: PyroMenace on Saturday, November 24, 2007, 01:36:07 AM
Well the critics love it. (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/no_country_for_old_men/) I am still dying to see it and the theatre in Cookeville is being closed for renovations, bah!
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: wizall on Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 04:59:21 PM
I saw it and I loved it.  I won't get too long-winded about it, but I will say it's my favorite Coen film since The Big Lebowski.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: iPPi on Monday, February 04, 2008, 02:42:37 PM
Finally got a chance to see this and it was amazing.  Simple, but also very tense, and the lack of a soundtrack makes some scenes even more powerful.  Definitely worth watching, and is probably 2007's best movie.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: MysterD on Monday, February 04, 2008, 03:02:43 PM
I can't wait til this comes to DVD.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Jedi on Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 06:15:23 PM
I’m going to go against the grain here and say that I got bored with it. It’s well written and acted, and it’s in no way crap, it’s just midway way through I lost interest. The build up was great but once it all started coming apart I just didn’t find it interesting.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: nickclone on Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 06:58:16 PM
I’m going to go against the grain here and say that I got bored with it. It’s well written and acted, and it’s in no way crap, it’s just midway way through I lost interest. The build up was great but once it all started coming apart I just didn’t find it interesting.

I agree completely, I think I actually had to stop this movie, go to sleep and then wake up to finish it.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Xessive on Sunday, March 02, 2008, 02:37:27 AM
Watched it. Don't get it.

It was a long movie that went nowhere.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: PyroMenace on Sunday, March 02, 2008, 03:45:12 AM
I thought I commented here. I saw it a little while back, thought it was fantastic. Great dialogue and some really amazing setup and suspenseful moments.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Cobra951 on Sunday, March 02, 2008, 03:48:31 AM
Watched it. Don't get it.

It was a long movie that went nowhere.

It did go somewhere, the wrong place.  I'm sorry I watched it.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Xessive on Sunday, March 02, 2008, 05:35:46 AM
It did go somewhere, the wrong place.  I'm sorry I watched it.
Haha I suppose so!

Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: MysterD on Saturday, March 15, 2008, 09:38:06 AM
Watched it. Don't get it.

It was a long movie that went nowhere.

Oh, it went somewhere....

Ending Talk, Etc Etc.
[spoiler]....For Anton (Javier Bardem), namely -- it went somewhere. Seems like he got away w/ everything, basically.

Anybody in his path pretty much wound up destroyed, whether it was physically (like most of those characters whom Anton killed) or mentally (Tommy Lee Jones' character, as the last scene REALLY shows).

Also, hence the title of the flick, too -- Tommy Lee Jones felt he was too old for that shit (as Mel Gibson would say in those Lethal Weapon movies) after everything he has seen and went through, heh![/spoiler]


EDIT:
Quote from: ippi
Finally got a chance to see this and it was amazing.  Simple, but also very tense, and the lack of a soundtrack makes some scenes even more powerful.  Definitely worth watching, and is probably 2007's best movie.
Yeah, I loved that there wasn't music in any of the action scenes. Hell, the only real music in the movie was the singing Mexican guys (which isn't traditional score type of music either -- cool scene, by the way) and the traditional score type of music in the end credits.

Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Cobra951 on Saturday, March 15, 2008, 10:02:03 PM
I understood the significance of what I watched, D.  That doesn't mean I liked it, or appreciated it at any level, including some artsy-fartsy transcendental one.  I thought it sucked through and through, performances aside.  If I want my story to be "bad guy kills people and gets away with it; good guy shakes head and leaves" the end, nothing else to see here, move along, it won't take 2 hours and a Hollywood budget to do it.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: PyroMenace on Saturday, March 15, 2008, 10:33:27 PM
I understood the significance of what I watched, D.  That doesn't mean I liked it, or appreciated it at any level, including some artsy-fartsy transcendental one.  I thought it sucked through and through, performances aside.  If I want my story to be "bad guy kills people and gets away with it; good guy shakes head and leaves" the end, nothing else to see here, move along, it won't take 2 hours and a Hollywood budget to do it.

See thats it though, I dont want to watch a movie where the message is cut and dry and predictable and looks like it was setup. It just makes characters transparent and look stupid.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: MysterD on Saturday, March 15, 2008, 10:44:15 PM
I understood the significance of what I watched, D.
My reply was to Xessive.

Quote from: Cobra
It did go somewhere, the wrong place.  I'm sorry I watched it.
Obviously, you thought it went "somewhere", but you just didn't particularly care for it.

Maybe b/c you wanted more story told to you than to be shown on-screen?
Maybe you wanted less stuff implied and more stuff cemented in stone here?
Looking and wanting more depth to the story here than what was there?

Quote from: Cobra
That doesn't mean I liked it, or appreciated it at any level, including some artsy-fartsy transcendental one.  I thought it sucked through and through, performances aside.  If I want my story to be "bad guy kills people and gets away with it; good guy shakes head and leaves" the end, nothing else to see here, move along, it won't take 2 hours and a Hollywood budget to do it.
A lot of the actual story is told here through the actual visuals themselves and nothing more. A lot can be implied from what is shown on-screen -- and also what is not shown on-screen, as well. It's not really spelled out to you in dialogue, unlike most flicks.

Yeah, most films don't work that way. They'll tell you things often in dialogue. Also, most would've told you as soon as the flick begins "Texas, 1980's," setting the time and place on-screen as soon as it starts. This film instead lets you figure it out by everything else in the film (such as all the vehicles have a distinct look and the add 20-somethings years line thrown early on) that basically indicates the time and place.

Cobra, question -- did you think in your opinion the flick was too long? Was the pacing off for you at all?

Yes, I did like the film a lot -- but I dunno' if it should've been the best movie of 2007. I don't think it'll be my favorite DVD of 2008. Though, regardless, it was a very good flick, if you ask me.

EDIT:
Quote from: Pyro
See thats it though, I dont want to watch a movie where the message is cut and dry and predictable and looks like it was setup. It just makes characters transparent and look stupid.
Actually, what I expected, I didn't receive...
[spoiler]What I expected was a big shootout to be shown b/t Anton and Luellyn. (spelling?) With the way it was going, I was even expecting him to kill Anton. Of course, we never saw that shootout. And we know Luellyn got killed.

I expected afterwards, that maybe Tommy Lee Hones would kill Anton in the Hotel. That didn't happen, either.

Once it cut to the wife, I expected Anton to kill the wife. We can assume that he probably did, by what he does w/ his boots -- even though we didn't actually see him do it or get any sound effects of him killing her.

When Anton was driving in the near-end, I expecting him right there to get into an accident and die. Though, the accident occurred -- he did walk away, pretty much. Didn't really expect that.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Xessive on Sunday, March 16, 2008, 01:25:59 AM
I understood that (just as Cobra did). I just don't think I appreciated it.

Javier Baldem is awesome though.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: MysterD on Sunday, March 16, 2008, 07:14:47 AM
Quote
Javier Baldem is awesome though.
Can't argue that one. :)
He was pretty awesome, to say the least.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: ScaryTooth on Sunday, March 16, 2008, 10:16:47 AM
Watched it the other night. Awesome freaking movie. Loved it.

It kept me guessing all the way through. And I actually felt scared of Anton when he was on screen. He played it so well. Great movie.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Cobra951 on Sunday, March 16, 2008, 12:02:16 PM
See thats it though, I dont want to watch a movie where the message is cut and dry and predictable and looks like it was setup. It just makes characters transparent and look stupid.

Granted, but if the story is a series of impotent events surrounding a tragedy, with no one making a difference--you know, exactly like everyday pedestrian life--I don't want to pay to sit and watch it for 2 hours.  I do that for free all the time, and it isn't my first choice then either.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Quemaqua on Sunday, March 16, 2008, 12:04:29 PM
You guys must keep in mind that Cobra hates movies without happy endings (or at least something he can consider a satisfactory resolution).  I know where he's coming from, though I don't necessarily share the same opinion entirely.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Cobra951 on Sunday, March 16, 2008, 12:19:27 PM
I do think fiction needs to follow its classic outline.  You pose your premise and develop it to a climax, which forces a resolution and conclusion.  Something extraordinary enough to write a story about needs to be happening, and these events need to be addressed and resolved one way or another.  Documentaries cover aimless reality already.  Happy endings are nice, but they are not the only valid ones.  Tragedies are commonplace in fiction as well.  Hey, I really liked 300, and that didn't finish with Leonidas prancing through the flowers with the queen.  :)
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: nickclone on Sunday, March 16, 2008, 06:49:20 PM
I do think fiction needs to follow its classic outline.  You pose your premise and develop it to a climax, which forces a resolution and conclusion.  Something extraordinary enough to write a story about needs to be happening, and these events need to be addressed and resolved one way or another.  Documentaries cover aimless reality already.  Happy endings are nice, but they are not the only valid ones.  Tragedies are commonplace in fiction as well.  Hey, I really liked 300, and that didn't finish with Leonidas prancing through the flowers with the queen.  :)

I think you make a very good point. I go to movies to escape from reality and make myself feel better, if I wanted to feel like shit I'd videotape and watch my own life.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: K-man on Monday, March 17, 2008, 07:26:56 AM
Got to watch this yesterday.  Excellent film.  Anton's character reminds me a lot of Rutger Hauer in The Hitcher.  I enjoyed the good/evil overtones and I like that the movie effectively avoided any sort of predictable ending.  Anton's character was very tense and hard to watch which speaks volumes about how well he played the character.  I haven't been that tense since watching Pan's Labyrinth. 

Regardless, between this and Gangs of New York, yesterday was a good day for cinema.  I'm terribly overdue for a happy movie though.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: idolminds on Tuesday, August 05, 2008, 06:43:00 PM
I just watched this and share Cobras opinion.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: angrykeebler on Friday, August 15, 2008, 01:06:02 PM
This movie was more boring than church.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: beo on Sunday, August 17, 2008, 01:27:43 PM
yeah - watched this one last night, and while it had all the arty stuff going for it, i thought the story was pretty poor. loads of polish and not much substance.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: scottws on Friday, November 07, 2008, 11:00:09 PM
I finally finished watching this tonight.  Around the time...

[spoiler]Llewelyn died, I think it started to come apart a bit.  There was no real resolution, other than I guess the drug-dealers got their shit back.[/spoiler]

I was left disappointed.  It was all extremely well acted, but it just didn't seem to go anywhere.  From watching some of the extras, I guess this was based on a book?  In that case you can't really blame it on the screenwriters but it's a shame that a movie that had such force halfway through concluded itself in such a manner.

EDIT by Que - just fixed your tags, scott.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: MysterD on Saturday, November 08, 2008, 06:13:42 PM
I think for most people, when it comes down to the end of the flick....

[spoiler]The open-ended nature of a few of the loose threads at the end pissed people off -- including myself. And the end with Tommy Lee Jones retiring just doesn't seem like the right note to end the movie on -- b/c it leaves you with the feeling when the credits rolls of, "Ummmm....That's it?"

It seems like it should've ended on the reverse, where we first see Tommy retire and Anton hinted at possibly getting away while still bleeding profusely.
"Did he die? Did he live?" Not really etched in stone too much.

Oh, and we are not sure if the girl was killed for the money or not. Again, left in the air -- but she probably was killed, I'd guess (no shots were heard). But, we do know that he bought all that stuff from the kids b/c he took the money from her.

This is what I think keeps it from being a great film. The end stuff was left up in the air more than an episode of Half-Life (game).
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: iPPi on Saturday, November 08, 2008, 06:51:23 PM
I loved this movie and consider it the second best movie of 2007.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: scottws on Saturday, November 08, 2008, 07:37:44 PM
[spoiler]Oh, and we are not sure if the girl was killed for the money or not. Again, left in the air -- but she probably was killed, I'd guess (no shots were heard). But, we do know that he bought all that stuff from the kids b/c he took the money from her.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I'm pretty sure she was killed.  When he leaves the house, he checks the bottom of both shoes.  I'd imagine he's looking for blood.[/spoiler]

If you watch the bonus material, you find out that the movie is really about the sheriff and the fact that he simply feels "outclassed," as he says during the movie.  He sees the world changing violently in front of his eyes and feels like he just can't keep up or what to make of it, so he retires.  I find it odd that it's about the sheriff but most of the movie takes place entirely without him.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: W7RE on Thursday, December 18, 2008, 06:15:05 AM
I just saw this movie, and overall I really liked it. I too found the ending disappointing though.

[spoiler]It really wasn't so much that it didn't have an obvious conclusion, but I just felt like Tommy Lee Jones' character was so seperated from the whole story. I completely expected him to go after Anton and either get killed, or kill him, then retire. (I think him retiring was mentioned earlier int he movie).

The car accident at the end also had nothing to do with anything. It was random and meaningless, but I guess that was the point. The bad guy walking off injured yet unapprehended worked fine, but the way he got hurt and walked off had no meaning in it. It wasn't a victory over good, just some random guy getting in a car wreck, but not wanting to be there when the cops showed up.

Oh, and I 100% believe that he killed the wife. As was said earlier in the movie, he keeps his word. He promised to kill her if Llewelyn (sp?) didn't cooperate. He didn't, so he had to kill the wife. To be honest I'm surprised he even offered the coin toss.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Pugnate on Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 09:54:50 AM
I just saw it for the first time. Fantastic movie.

The only weakness in the movie was the mother in law, who was surprisingly cliched.

One of my favorite scenes was when Anton walks out of the wife's house, and you are wondering whether she survived the encounter. Then, as he is standing, he lifts his feet one at a time to examine the soles of his shoes, and our mind goes back to the scene with Woody Harrelson, where he is careful not to get any blood on them, and you realize she didn't survive the encounter.

There was a lot of dark humor that I simply loved as well.

The ending was abrupt, but the fact that the story was about Tommy Lee Jones' character was set up by the opening bit, where he talks about sending that remorseless killer to jail. That, and the very title of the movie.

I didn't get the accident though.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Cobra951 on Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 10:52:04 AM
The accident was pointless, like the whole movie.  Things happen; they rarely connect to each other; there is no resolution, only another day with more random events, and . . .
[spoiler]the killer gets to limp away with no further consequence.[/spoiler]

As I said somewhere above, I get to experience aimless reality for free, every day, and in full-surround, real 3D.  I don't need to see it in a movie.