Overwritten.net
Community => General Discussion => Topic started by: ScaryTooth on Thursday, February 28, 2008, 11:42:59 AM
-
Dyatlov Pass Accident (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_pass_accident)
I love stuff like this. This is an actual true story. I was following links on a news site and found it. Freaky!
-
haha the most awesome tragedy ever!
-
OK I read that twice now. That's awesome and disturbing.
[Spoiler]The part with the missing tongue is quite disturbing. I am positive that they were kidnapped, conducted experiments on, and then left in a manner to suggest some sort of murder. They were gone for plenty of time, and it was a snowy climate. Plus lets face it, it was at a place and a period where investigation couldn't have been optimal. That still doesn't fit in with some of the facts though, so ummm... I have nothing left to say. It was a great find! Post more if you have them. [/spoiler]
Read this after the wiki link:
http://www.moscowtimes.ru/stories/2008/02/04/004.html
-
Thats just wild.
-
I am so intrigued!
-
To me it screams that it was simply an avalanche. Orange tans and grey hair? Hearsay.
-
Avalance does seem to be the most plausible but mundane explanation... The "car accident" like injuries of the ones who died immediately would agree with this, the rest then died of exposure. Still though, I always love reading about this kind of thing.
-
I vote for avalanche....caused by aliens!
-
But an avalanche doesn't explain the missing tongue. Or high doses of radiation. And they say some evidence suggests that they were all without sight. Although it was the north side of a mountain in the middle of the night. You wouldn't be able to see much even if you could see.
And the pictures. If there were high doses of radiation, how did the film survive?
-
Neat. I actually read the whole page.
-
I've been looking for more true creepy stories. But all I'm running into is made up crap. Anyone know of any good sites for stuff like this?
-
Snopes?
-
I can't think of a more difficult situation to investigate than something like this. A couple of mistakes and everything gets fucked up. Investigators come, try to figure it out, and probably put some of the pieces together in the wrong place. I'm going with Occam's razor here though.
If I were to guess, I'd say that something went wrong at some point. I'm pretty sure I've told the story of when I had to be rescued by a helicopter. Two things led to that situation, somewhat minor in themselves, but they compounded and left us pretty fucked. First, the topographic map we were using was slightly wrong. That's not all that huge by itself, because cartographers are generally pretty good at what they do, and it shouldn't be off by that much. The problem is when your secondary compass is slightly fucked because of mechanical damage. You look at the map, think you're totally not where you should be because it's slightly off, check the compass, check the compass to another (broken) compass, realize it's bit off and figure that the problem has compounded upon itself and you totally don't know where you are anymore. Human error kicks in, you don't know the map's wrong and you make the mistake of thinking that the two erroneous products are right because the evidence (you're not where you should be) lines up between them. Next thing you know you're a few days behind schedule, you're rationing food, and you realize you just went nowhere for the last little while. Now imagine something like that happening in the 50's and someone fell of something, broke a bone and went into shock. Everyone could easily die because of it.
I'd imagine that's what actually happened here. Some error occurred, someone got hurt, hypothermia somehow came into play mixed with shock and you have a ripped tent. Hypothermia, group panic, and low visibility winter environments are a horrible combination. Someone freaked out, ripped a tent open to get out fast enough, got chased or whatever, people couldn't find the way back, some people fell off some shit or got caught in an avalanche, some just got lost and died.
Sure, there are pieces missing, but a lot of the 'out' there things are most likely just legends (orange tinge, tongue missing, that kind of stuff). The more down to earth stuff (missing shoes) is a bit weird, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was hypothermia or panic related in the least. How much did the Russians actually know about hypothermia in the '50's?
-
To all those convinced about an avalanche, what about the missing tongue? o_O
-
I'm too skeptical to believe there is a missing tongue. I bet it's the product of legend, like gpw said.
-
Radiation?
-
Snow causes radiation. Didn't you know that?
-
Missing Tongue:
Possibility 1: Somehow During Avalanche tongue is sticking out of guys mouth, he gets jarred or trips falling on his jaw and bites it off.
Possibility 2: After whatever happened happened, guy is dazed with hypothermia trips and falls and bites off the tongue
Possibility 3: Heresay, tongue story is blown out of proportion. I've noticed nothing is said other than the tongue was simply missing, if there really was something to it, why didn't the investigators of the time look into the situation instead of all the armchair historians after the fact? I missed in reading the article, was the guy missing the tongue one of the three who died traumatically or who froze to death? Was he the one with the skull fracture?
Radiation:
There are reports of military activity in the area, avalanche disturbed radioactive waste dumped in the area by the military spreading radioactive material all over the area, or maybe radiation is generally in the area as a result of the military testing whatever they were testing.
"Evidence of Blindness" - people using soft wet wood when good dry wood was nearby and available.
Possibility 1: They were trying to build the fire in in the dark
Possibility 2: One of the first symptoms of hypothermia is loss of mental acuity. If they were dazed and building a fire trying to ward of hypothermia they most likely were not thinking clearly.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-hypothermia/FA00017
Signs and symptoms usually develop slowly. People with hypothermia typically experience gradual loss of mental acuity and physical ability, so they may be unaware that they need emergency medical treatment.
Possiblity 3: combination of possibility 1 and 2.
-
You and your "science" and "logical assumptions" seem pretty absurd to me. I still say aliens. From Mars.
-
There is always the possibility that aliens were controlling the military who then set the avalanche off on purpose.
-
Don't ruin this with your sensible arguments!
-
Murderous aliens with a taste for the theatrical & ironic? Maybe?
-
You people arent even trying.
How about.... why weren't the three people who were crushed to death found in or very near the tent? Why were the people who froze to death found trying to get back to the tent? why did they leave in the first place? An avalanche is no reason to run away from camp partially clothed unless the tent is completely buried, which does not seem to be the case. The tongue and radiation aren't even compelling mysteries as far as I'm concerned. I find it more puzzling that an experienced group of adventurers left their only safety in what was obviously a hurry for unknown reasons and were unable to return in time to prevent freezing to death.
Maybe they were serial crused by A HUGE FREAKIN' GUY.
WHERE YOU GOIN?
NOWHERE!
-
"THERE WAS A FIREFIIIGHT!!"
-
Here's my take -
They were a wild bunch of orgy-induced cannibals. During their orgy in the tent, they ripped holes in the sides with their wild groping. After the event, they were hot and thus shed their clothes. Insatiable with hunger for human flesh, they decided to taste the delicacies of the human tongue. Taken with how great it was, their bliss resulted in nuclear orgasms, which gave them all radiation.
HAPPY ANT?!
-
"THERE WAS A FIREFIIIGHT!!"
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!
Man, what a great movie.
-
what movie is that from?
-
OMG seriously? Boondock Saints.
-
Oh yeah, that was a good movie although I totally don't remember that line.
-
Yeah, we definitely need Willem Dafoe to solve this mystery.
-
Oh yeah, that was a good movie although I totally don't remember that line.
Really? I think it's one of the most memorable parts. To each his own...
-
I saw it a really long time ago. I don't really remember any specific lines, just the general plot. I guess I should watch it again.
-
What happened to the sequel for that movie? It was supposed to come years ago and then I never heard anything about it.
-
I wondered about that too. I don't really remember the movie well either, it's been a long time now. I think I have it on DVD somewhere.
-
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!
Man, what a great movie.
Hehe it was great!
Willem Dafoe has got to be most "awesome-but-at-the-same-time-creepy" actor ever! He does kinda resemble the original Green Goblin.
He made an awesome John Clark though.. Pug will attest to that.