Overwritten.net

Community => Entertainment => Topic started by: ScaryTooth on Sunday, April 19, 2009, 07:27:45 PM

Title: Moon
Post by: ScaryTooth on Sunday, April 19, 2009, 07:27:45 PM
I'm really interested in this. It's a trailer BTW (http://www.flabber.nl/linkdump/video/trailer-moon-1574)

I really like Sam Rockwell. I like him in pretty much anything he does, even if the movie isn't great he's usually enjoyable to watch. 
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: Xessive on Sunday, April 19, 2009, 10:28:24 PM
That looks pretty interesting!

By the way, since you like Sam Rockwell, have you watched Choke (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1024715/)?
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: ScaryTooth on Thursday, July 16, 2009, 09:19:31 PM
This finally came out in my area and I went and saw it tonight. I really really liked it. It such a great Sci-Fi moving, and it really makes you think about things. I can't really say anything about the movie without giving it away. But definitely check it out if you want to see some great sci-fi.
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: ren on Friday, July 24, 2009, 05:33:58 PM
I know nothing about this but I heard Clint Mansell did the soundtrack which immediately piqued my interest.
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: ren on Thursday, August 20, 2009, 11:59:00 AM
Saw it a couple of days ago. Loved it.

[spoiler] The movie definitely got the better of me. I didn't buy into the clone thing for a long time. I thought that he was just going crazy and the clones were a hoax. I also kept waiting for the computer to turn against him but that never happened.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: Schlotzky5 on Monday, January 11, 2010, 08:58:13 PM
Just saw this movie tonight. It was pretty good.
[spoiler]The trailer made it seem like the whole movie was going to be a big conflict between Sam going through crazy shit, or him hallucinating. I guess that was still the point, but I went in with certain expectations and I think those expectations made me look for all the hints they were dropping that it might all be fake. The ending was also a bit off too. I mean they obviously made it seem that he was hallucinating, then didnt even acknowledge it. It would be cool if there was maybe some discourse between the two about it. Maybe right before the older Sam gets put back in the crashed rover.

I loved the gerty character. Just enough personality.

Did they ever say what the older Sam was sick with? or was it just the after effects from the crash?[/spoiler]
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: nickclone on Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 01:22:01 AM
[spoiler]The cloning process didn't allow them to live for more than a few years.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: iPPi on Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 12:10:12 PM
It was a pretty good movie.
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: scottws on Friday, January 15, 2010, 07:22:56 AM
Move up in the Netflix queue.
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: Cobra951 on Friday, January 15, 2010, 09:38:46 AM
Authentic sci-fi, always appreciated.  +1 on that alone.  Good movie regardless.

I did not watch any trailers or read anything beyond a minimalist blurb about this movie, so I went in with no preconceptions.  I caught on to the basic premise very quickly.  The rules seem to originate from established sci-fi, which made it all the more enjoyable to me.

[spoiler]Gerty is a robot, so advanced it may be sentient, like Hal.  But unlike Hal, it was created by smarter humans who probably read Isaac Asimov.  The 3 laws of robotics emerged not from benevolence, but from a desire to prevent a future such as Cyberdyne (Terminator movies).  These 3 laws are at the very core of a sentient-robot's thought processes, and can never be bypassed without destroying its intelligence.  It cannot harm a human being, or through inaction allow a human being to come to harm (first law).

Gerty may have been instructed to protect the big, evil corporation's business, but the deeper directive to protect humans overrode it when there was a conflict (2nd law).  Everything it did was consistent with this boilerplate.

The concepts of mining the moon, and cloning with possible inherent flaws in each copy take the setting the rest of the way.[/spoiler]

Good story, without falling prey to some Hollywood money guy screwing it up with mindless action or horror elements to draw in the popcorn masses.
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: scottws on Friday, January 15, 2010, 11:18:34 AM
Dammit.  Spoiler tags aren't compatible with the WAP version of this site.
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: Schlotzky5 on Friday, January 15, 2010, 11:20:12 AM
Authentic sci-fi, always appreciated.

This is one of the things I liked most. The fact that the story wasnt perfect I could look past. I love seeing real attempts at sci-fi without the glam like primer or pi.

Moon is 38 on IMDB's list of top rated Sci-fi films. Not that IMDB rankings are worth a damn, but its interesting.


Title: Re: Moon
Post by: TheOtherBelmont on Friday, January 15, 2010, 12:01:16 PM
Damn, I thought I posted in this thread already.  Anyways, I saw this about a month ago and it was great.  I'm with Cobra on the fact that it is nice to see an authentic sci-fi movie.  I really need to pick up the Blu-Ray of this.
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: MysterD on Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 06:59:39 PM
Just got through watching this on one of the Starz channels. Pretty good, I must say.

[spoiler]The part when one of the Sam clones made the call to Tess, found out Tess was dead from Eve (who answered the call) who now is 15 - and one of the Sam's was already there was something else...[/spoiler]
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: angrykeebler on Friday, July 02, 2010, 03:49:03 PM
I guess I was the only one bored to tears
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: K-man on Friday, July 02, 2010, 05:10:34 PM
I guess I was the only one bored to tears

I suppose I could see how you were bored.  I enjoyed the hell out of it though.
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: scottws on Thursday, July 22, 2010, 06:51:19 AM
I just saw this last night and thought it was amazing.  It really drew me in.  I was like Cobra:  I didn't watch or read very much at all about this movie other than the praise on here and therefore had no preconceived notions.  I too caught onto the premise right away, but it didn't ruin the movie and in fact I thought it enhanced it because I found myself thinking about the protagonist's thoughts about the situation.  It also allowed me to ponder then end of the term in a different light.
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: Cools! on Saturday, July 24, 2010, 01:15:09 AM
Good flick. Reminded me of the old drawn out Sci-Fi flicks like 2001.
Title: Re: Moon
Post by: Cobra951 on Saturday, July 24, 2010, 07:15:14 AM
I thought of that when I read Scott's post yesterday.  Yes, they don't make them like they used to, not often anyway.