Overwritten.net
Games => General Gaming => Topic started by: MysterD on Saturday, April 25, 2009, 07:11:58 PM
-
NEWEST - July 2, 2011:
Dead Space 2: Collector's Edition [Retail Box] for PC = $29.99 on Amazon w/ Free Saver Shipping. (http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Collectors-Pc/dp/B0047O7XUK?tag=cheapassgam08-20)
REVIEWS
G4TV -> 4 stars (out of 5). (http://www.g4tv.com/videos/51000/Dead-Space-2-Video-Review/)
PC Gamer -> 87% score. (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/25/dead-space-2-review/)
IGN -> 9.0 (out of 10) for PC, X360, and PS3 -- Written Review. (http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1145332p1.html); Video Review. (http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/01/21/dead-space-2-video-review?objectid=14293265)
GameSpot - 8.5 for X360 and PC -- X360 Written review (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/deadspace2workingtitle/review.html); X360 Video Review (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/deadspace2workingtitle/video/6286889/dead-space-2-video-review?hd=1); PC Written Review. (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/deadspace2/review.html)
GameSpot - 9.0 for PS3 -- Written review. (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/deadspace2workingtitle/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary%3Bread-review&page=2)
OLD:
NEW - 2-7-2011:
EA Forums -> Dead Space 2 PC patched. (http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5225708.page)
Destructoid -> Visceral says there's nothing like DS2's MP; Destructoid disagrees. (http://www.destructoid.com/visceral-nothing-compares-to-dead-space-2-multiplayer-192537.phtml)
Bluesnews -> Severed DLC is NOT coming to the PC. (http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=118053)
Shacknews -> Severed DLC announced for consoles. (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/67256)
Shacknews -> Keeping your Dead Space 1 saves around will unlock The Plasma Cutter for Dead Space 2. (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66993)
E3 2010 Trailer - Reg. Def. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNtxIZYAnlA&feature=player_embedded)
E3 2010 Trailer - HD. (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-dead-space-2/101174)
A new survey EA is offering up is asking gamers what they would like to see for game modes in a future Dead Space game - namely, asking if they'd want Co-Op and if they'd want a Zero-Gravity Death-Match Mode. (http://www.actiontrip.com/link.phtml?http://helldescent.com/ea-hints-at-possible-multiplayer-for-next-dead-space/)
-
As usual, EA completely misses the fucking point.
-
Yeah. That's kinda sad. Both options go against what was cool about the game.
-
Next question: how do you feel about in-game advertising?
EA thoroughly earns the facepalm.
-
I still need to finish the first Dead Space. I think I made it to chapter 7 and then I kinda forgot about the game. It's a great game... it's just that I personally have kinda stopped gaming.
-
While it does go against what made the first game cool, these are harsh economic times, and "gaming funding has dried up". Both Dead Space and Mirror's Edge were failures -- though the former made a lot more than the latter. Since they invested much in the franchise, I guess they want to add stuff the fans want. I don't see too much wrong with that.
While a zero-gravity death match would be absolutely STUPID! Coop could be quite cool in that setting.
-
While a zero-gravity death match would be absolutely STUPID!
Since there were some awesome Zero-G levels done in Crysis's SP component, I would think a Zero-G Deathmatch would be more appropriate in say a Crysis game...
I do have Crysis Warhead/Crysis Wars and I ain't tried Crysis Wars yet...do they have any Zero-G MP maps?
-
The point is that isn't necessarily what "fans" want. Maybe it's what stupid 13 year olds want, or random idiots who'll buy the game and don't give a shit about what they tried to do with the first one, but anyone who played the first and enjoyed it for what it was probably wants neither coop nor deathmatch.
-
but anyone who played the first and enjoyed it for what it was probably wants neither coop nor deathmatch.
And there just weren't enough of those people to make the game anything near a success. That's why they are trying to branch out. I guess they have to find a balance with any new features, that they attract more buyers without spoiling the identity of the first.
-
Which they won't. The game may or may not sell better, but probably half the people who bought the first won't care about the second. Which is very typical of the EA method. I'm not saying it's wrong from a business standpoint, but it sucks for the IP.
-
Were there any Zero-G levels in the original Dead Space?
-
(http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ocMQSqVjweA/SGYEckQ91aI/AAAAAAAAAXI/BsrXbttLo4E/s400/FACEPALM.jpg)
-
I think soon you will be out of these facepalm pics.
-
Were there any Zero-G levels in the original Dead Space?
Yea. There's one early on where you switch off gravity and walk around with your magnetic boots. You can aim towards a wall or ceiling and jump to it. I still haven't played far enough to see if they do anything else with zero-G.
-
It's one of the fundamental design features of the game. It isn't everywhere, but they use it to good effect a number of times.
-
Well, hell -- I need to get this (Dead Space 1) game even more so, once it gets cheaper on the PC.
-
Yeah, the Zero-G portions of the game were really well executed. As for Co-op, I agree that it kind of goes against the entire point of the game, but then I thought about it and figured it could be pretty awesome if done right.
I'm thinking it would probably have to be a desperate mode entirely, but I think co-op could work well as long as you're not actually constantly together. The game basically revolves around "this is fucked, go and fix it so you can get through this door", and there's no reason you couldn't both be doing something like that in separate rooms/corridors/maintenance shafts in order to move on. Like say you have to switch some fuse or something in order to get the tram working, but the power has to be off to do it. The thing is that the power can only be off for a min or so before the aux. reserve kicks in automatically. One motherfucker makes his way to one part of the ship to flip the switch, the other goes to replace the fuse. You're both still isolated and alone, but kind of need to rely on each other and have constant radio contact.
-
So, was Dead Space any good? I've honestly never heard of it.
-
So, was Dead Space any good? I've honestly never heard of it.
We did have a 3 page thread on the original Dead Space here.
I ain't played it yet (for the PC), but you can sift through the thread and see links to reviews and forum members' opinions and stuff. (http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=4464.0)
-
Wow, sounds like a cool game. I'm sure some of the main reasons it went under my radar are that it was a new IP, I don't follow gaming news sites anymore, and mainly... it's a EA game. I wrote them off a long time ago ever since they started just vomiting buggy garbage onto the market and then abandoning support for them, and their strict adherence to using ridiculous DRM schemes on the PC didn't help matters at all and just reinforced my decision.
I wonder how much EA's reputation has hurt the sales of Mirror's Edge and Dead Space...
-
Wow, sounds like a cool game. I'm sure some of the main reasons it went under my radar are that it was a new IP, I don't follow gaming news sites anymore, and mainly... it's a EA game. I wrote them off a long time ago ever since they started just vomiting buggy garbage onto the market and then abandoning support for them, and their strict adherence to using ridiculous DRM schemes on the PC didn't help matters at all and just reinforced my decision.
I wonder how much EA's reputation has hurt the sales of Mirror's Edge and Dead Space...
I think EA's brain is clouded.
First of all, it was reported that Dead Space and Mirror's Edge when they came out didn't sell well. (http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=4737.0)
Though, EA felt the game's were "successful" -- so, there probably be more of these. (http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=4737.msg65915#msg65915)
Dead Space was pretty much praised critically (http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=dead+space&numrev=3&site=).
Mirror's Edge did good critically (http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=mirror%27s+edge&numrev=3&site=), as well.
-
I haven't touched Mirror's Edge yet, but Dead Space was pretty awesome. It blows RE out of the water and certainly gives Silent Hill (keep in mind I've only really played SH2) a run for it's money.
-
I think EA's brain is clouded.
First of all, it was reported that Dead Space and Mirror's Edge when they came out didn't sell well. (http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=4737.0)
Though, EA felt the game's were "successful" -- so, there probably be more of these. (http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=4737.msg65915#msg65915)
Dead Space was pretty much praised critically (http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=dead+space&numrev=3&site=).
Mirror's Edge did good critically (http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=mirror%27s+edge&numrev=3&site=), as well.
Well, Jeff Green at EA said both games did poorly. EA may put the spin on for the shareholders, but if the games had hit even a million -- which seems to be par for consoles --, EA would have bragged about it.
-
No, EA says even games that sell millions aren't meeting their expectations. Because frankly, their expectations are idiotic.
-
haha true... but neither broke 1 million, and I think that Jeff Green stated on the GWJ podcast that the word used to describe Mirror's Edge was "disaster".
-
True, but the reasons should be obvious. Ugly animated cutscenes, stilted story, and 5 minutes of gameplay. Dead Space didn't suffer from those problems. They should learn from their mistakes, not make excuses. I don't know why Dead Space didn't do better. Having some bad issues in the PC port certainly didn't help, and it was pretty heavily marketed with all that other stuff that came out with it. Beats me. I thought it was pretty cool.
-
I think EA's rep may have ahd something to do with it. Eventually the studios will catch on that EA and its vicious rep are doing more harm than benefit and they'll jump ship.
-
I think EA's rep may have ahd something to do with it. Eventually the studios will catch on that EA and its vicious rep are doing more harm than benefit and they'll jump ship.
Yeah, that's basically what I was getting at above.
-
I don't see how that can be. They still sell millions of games, and if they'd stop blowing eight bajillion dollars on projects and reign it the fuck in a little, they'd probably make a fortune. Plus console gamers don't give a flying fuck about ideologies on the whole because 80% of them are morons. And by that I mean that 80% of almost any collected mass of individuals is given over to morons. Either way, I thought both of these games were aimed squarely at the console market despite the PC ports, so I still don't understand it. Rep doesn't seem logical. I haven't seen the numbers, though, so I don't know if this is another "we couldn't break even after selling 2 million copies" deal or something else entirely. I know they've said otherwise, but I still suspect both games sold respectably, and would have been winners in the ranks of most other companies. Even several hundred thousand copies sold would be excellent for many of them, but such a "low" number would cost EA many, many millions of dollars.
-
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6209132.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;3
Schofield is satisfied that Dead Space is well on its way to becoming one such major franchise. He revealed that the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC game has sold about 1.4 million units worldwide, despite being released last October amid a worldwide financial panic.
"I'm happy with that, based on the economy," said Schofield. "Last year could've been one of the greatest launch years in the history of video games around October time, but it was a year where people bought less games than they normally would. Do I wish it sold more? Absolutely. But the critical acclaim and the number of awards--we're at 75 and counting now--have made [Dead Space] bigger than just the number of sales. If you look at used sales and rentals, we're looking at probably 3 or 4 million people who have played the game."
You could call that sugarcoating it, but I have to agree. Sometimes people are too broke or too stupid to realize you made something good, but they're getting the recognition and they know that while sales are important, they're not everything.
Oh, and EA Redwood is now being renamed Visceral Games, to reflect their future plans for support of franchises like Dead Space and Dante's Inferno (their other upcoming game). Apparently they also have 2 games in the works that haven't been announced yet (one is probably Dead Space 2).
-
See? Motherfucker, nearly a million and a half copies. If you call that disappointing, your business model is idiotic and you need to look for another job.
-
Yea I don't see how 1.4 couldn't have turned a profit for them. Granted that that's 1.4 million across three platforms. If you divide that by three, that's less than 500,000 per platform. Among other costs, I understand that MS and SONY take big release cuts for games on their respective consoles. Plus, Dead Space must have had a really big marketing push. I think it even had some sort of anime or something. Still, 1.4 million should mean it covered those bases. I swear I heard from all EA quarters that Dead Space was a failure. I guess they had different expectations.
But I am glad to see a more sensible approach from EA here... though I guess they have to now that they are moving further with the IP. I am glad they are finally looking at this as an investment into the future.
Also, I don't think EA's rep has anything to do with them not selling as many titles. Sure, PC guys are on to EA, but they sell gazillions of those sports titles every year even though they don't do much in terms of innovation.
The other thing is that EA publishes just about everything. It would be like refusing to breathe because EA owns the air. I know a lot of people do that, but it is beyond the discipline of the average console gamer.
-
I think it even had some sort of anime or something.
There was an animated movie called Dead Space: Downfall (which isn't bad), as well as some comics book (one graphic novel). The chronological order of everything is: comic -> anime -> game. The comic covers the discovery of the artifact and the events on the surface of the planet. the anime covers the event of the ship that brought the miners there and sat in orbit while they worked on the surface. In the game, you arrive on the rescue ship at the beginning.
If you go to the Dead Space downloads section on Xbox live, there's 6 videos covering the comic. Theyr'e called "animated comics" and have the comic panels with voice actors reading the dialogue. (some say "trailer" but they're really the full thing, not sure why it says trailer.)
-
Looks like Dead Space 2 might be coming as soon as 2010. (http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=61080)
-
Next issue of PlayStation: The Official Magazine will reveal some info on Dead Space 2. (http://kotaku.com/5411196/dead-space-2-revealed-in-next-official-playstation-magazine?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29)
-
Not really news, but Dead Space 2 has been officially announced. Hell to the yea. (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/dead-space-2-announced/1788/)
-
Video Q&A on Dead Space 2 (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=208444053559&ref=mf)
-
Not really news, but Dead Space 2 has been officially announced. Hell to the yea. (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/dead-space-2-announced/1788/)
What the hell are you doing stealing MysterD's job?
-
Video Q&A on Dead Space 2 (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=208444053559&ref=mf)
Thanks.
A lot of good info thrown in that 8 min vid.
-
System Shock 2 had online co-op. It was actually pretty cool.
Anyway, I'll have to pick up Dead Space (1) as it looks like a cool game.
-
Thanks.
A lot of good info thrown in that 8 min vid.
Yea, for those who want an idea of some of the stuff, he covers co-op (though doesn't say if it'll be in), Issac Clarke talking is DS2, possible collector's edition stuff, a little on weapons (harpoon gun type weapon that will pin enemies to the wall). It's basically an 8 minute video reply to the questions the asked for on twitter. The call for questions was "what would you like to see in Dead Space 2?" I like how he mentions when someone asks for coop, that that's not what they've heard from the majority of people. That tells me they've been paying attention and know that people think the solitary gameplay was a big part of the experience.
Oh, and here's another 8 minute video. This one is different people from the DS2 team talking about what they're trying to do and what they're excited about. (no spoilers) (http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2009/12/14/dead-space-2-video-interview.aspx)
-
No PC version of Dead Space 2 planned. (http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=107212)
-
Looks like the possibility of a Dead Space 2 PC is "under consideration." (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62326)
-
Dead Space 2 Debut Trailer. (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-dead-space-2/65055)
-
Pretty much, EA confirms Dead Space 2 PC w/ their latest schedule of planned games until March 31, 2011. (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63743)
Q4 FY 2011- January 1 through March 31, 2011
* Dead Space 2 (Console, Handheld/Mobile, PC)
* Dragon Age Title TBA (Console, Handheld/Mobile, PC)
* Bulletstorm [Co-Published] (Console, PC)
* Need For Speed TBA (Console, PC)
* EA SPORTS Fighting Title TBA (Console, Handheld/Mobile)
* New Sims Title TBA (PC)
* Spore Title TBA (PC)
-
Gamespot's First Look at Dead Space 2 (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/deadspace2workingtitle/news.html?sid=6262295&tag=topslot;title;1&mode=previews).
It's beginning to pique my interest.
-
Oh fuck yes...PC! Puuumped.
-
Dead Space 2's Executive Producer Steve Papoutsis talks about the game. (http://www.vg247.com/2010/05/13/papoutsis-dead-space-2-is-not-a-run-and-gun-game/)
“What I really want to be extremely clear about with everybody, is that Dead Space 2 is a not a run-and-gun game, we’re not turning it into that.
“You can’t just maintain tension all the way throughout the game, because what happens is people get desensitized and then they’re not scared. So you have to change the pace of the game to really set people up for scares and that’s what we’re really focused on doing.
“So, anybody that thinks Dead Space 2 is going to turn in to some run-and-gun space marine game where the hero is busting off one-liners is totally wrong and should not be worried about that."
-
Box art picture from Dead Space's Facebook account.
(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs338.ash1/29045_393155176658_18523496658_4360405_134641_n.jpg)
-
Gameplay footage. (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-dead-space-2/101174)
Badass. You need to pick it up and play it cools, so fucking worth it, especially how much you can get it for.
-
Gameplay footage. (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-dead-space-2/101174)
Badass. You need to pick it up and play it cools, so fucking worth it, especially how much you can get it for.
I posted this a big ago in Reg. Def, but you got it in HD! Nice.
Copied your HD link (from GTTV) and flung it to top of the thread.
-
I just got an invite to the Dead Space 2 closed multiplayer beta. Unfortunately it's on PS3, but I can't at least play it on my brother's system.
Can anyone give any insight on how downloads and purchases work on the PS3? I have a PSN account that a created a couple months ago. So would I want to use the download code on that, on my brother's PS3? Or should I just use my brother's account? (I'm 99% sure he'd never playit) I'm sure in the end it probably won't matter, but you never know if they're gonna do some thing like "we added this bonus thing to your PSN accoutn for participating". Of course, I'm buying the full game on Xbox anyway.
Also, I guess some of the devs will be online playing on the 26th too. Shit maybe I can just con my brother into letting me borrow his PS3 during the beta, isntead of sitting in his room all day playing it.
-
It doesn't matter what account you use the code for generally speaking. As long as it is applied to an account, each and every account on the PS3 with the software downloaded will be able to play it. If all accounts are removed then the content may become unplayable.
-
Can I have 2 PSN accounts setup on the same console with no problems? I know you can on Xbox, you just sign in and out at will, and any account on that system can play any content that's already on that system. Does the PS3 work the same way?
-
Yep.
-
Damn, is a USB headset the only chat option for PS3? My brother's system didn't come with one, and all my headsets use a headphone jack.
-
Damn, is a USB headset the only chat option for PS3? My brother's system didn't come with one, and all my headsets use a headphone jack.
The PS3 Eye would work too. If you don't have the PS3 headset I think any bluetooth headset will work.
Hmm, I have a USB headset for PC.. I'm curious if it would work on the PS3.
-
Bluetooth. If you have a bluetooth headset for your phone, you can use that as well.
-
I meant to log in for maybe 2-3 matches, but I ended up spending about 2.5 hours on it. It was a lot of fun, but then I do love the Dead Space setting. There's an NDA so I guess I shouldn't say much else.
-
Here's a gameplay video with commentary about what's going on. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwGtxcXwb2M) (not my video)
It was tweeted by one of the coders at Visceral.
-
Here's another gameplay video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W2TJdbBwSo). This one has some necromorph gameplay. Got the link from NeoGAF.
-
I guess they're opening an actual signup to add more players to beta. Here's the facebook link from the deadspace twitter. (http://www.facebook.com/deadspace?v=app_107611949261673)
-
I have to say, it's nice to see someone doing an actual beta. This isn't like the BFBC2 or MoH betas where it was really just a demo where they track stuff and decide what to do later. The forum they've got setup for testers is actually designed like an idea/issue reporting system where people can vote on each issue, which pushes it to the top, and then can be flagged by a member of the dev team as under review or an accepted change.
I just wish I could get more time in game. My brother won't let me borrow his PS3, so I have to work around his schedule to play.
-
Dead Space: Ignition is out now for PS3 and Xbox 360, not sure about PC.
What it is: animated comic with 3 mini-games. The minigames are very unrelated to the DS universe, and instead of hacking type minigames. I don't know if there's 1 occurance of each of the 3 minigames, or if the story is long enough for each to appear multiple times. Basically you're watching an animated comic and at times the characters get stuck between necromorphs and a closed door, and you have to hack it to get through. From what I've seen the art is not very good, hopefully the setting and story make up for... well, everything else. (I have Ignition but haven't had a chance to start it up yet.) Oh, also somehow you can unlock a suit for Dead Space 2 from within it.
How much it costs: $5 (or free with DS2 preorder) I had DS2 preordered when this came out, and Amazon sent me a code in the mail to redeem my copy for free. I assume one could preorder at Amazon, get the code and redeem the game, then cancel the Amazon preorder.
-
Apparently the Collector's Edition of this game will come with a replica of a plasma cutter. Sounds like it will jump the cost of the CE up by like $50.
-
Apparently the Collector's Edition of this game will come with a replica of a plasma cutter. Sounds like it will jump the cost of the CE up by like $50.
So.. $50 for a Plasma Cutter replica.. Hmm.. Tough sell.
-
Gamestop has the collector's edition priced at $80.
Comes with:
Game
Plasma cutter
Soundtrack (including "Scoring Dead Space 2" featurette)
Lithograph with concept art depicting a necromorph transformation
In-game items: Unitology Suit and Force Gun
(http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/19507/1555465-e2d85bd6940fa72a98a75f694e6bc996_super.jpg)
-
That's not too bad.
-
I think this maybe the first time I buy a collectors edition.
-
$80 is bot bad and that's a sweet CE.
So.. CE coming to PC at all or just consoles?
-
$80 is bot bad and that's a sweet CE.
So.. CE coming to PC at all or just consoles?
PC too apparently, here's the PC CE on Gamestop.com (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=84605).
-
PC too apparently, here's the PC CE on Gamestop.com (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=84605).
Nice! Sorry, I was too lazy to check for myself :P
It's funny that now the norm is that PC games are priced the same as console games. I first noticed this when Modern Warfare 2 came out at $60 (in fact I think it's still $60) for PC, which is $10 above the average new release price point. After that all Ubi's new releases were set at $60 and a bunch of others followed, with few exceptions.
-
I'd so buy that just for the plasma cutter.
-
Single player demo came out this week for both PS3 and Xbox 360.
-
Single player demo came out this week for both PS3 and Xbox 360.
Would've been nice if they released a demo for the PC...
-
Guys, keep your Dead Space 1 saves.
Having them will unlock Plasma Cutter for Dead Space 2. (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66993)
-
What? You don't start with it?
-
IGN -> 9.0 for PC, X360, and PS3. (http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1145332p1.html)
Dead Space 2 is pretty much the best haunted house attraction ever. Visceral stripped out the stuff that slowed down the original game (backtracking, getting disoriented, etc.) and ended up with a fast-paced game that's suspenseful and scary at the same time. You're funneled down these halls and corridors on your way from Point A to Point B, and ghouls pop out for you to blast. I know that "linear" is a bad word in the video game industry, but the package is so well done here that I can't knock Dead Space 2 for taking me on a very specific ride that's marked by awesome moments, environments that range from a cheery schoolhouse to pitch black rooms, and sound that's so well done I'd find myself trying to figure out if it was a monster making its move or my dog rummaging in the living room. Toss in some new disturbing enemies and surprises I won't ruin for you and you have a game that can feel like "the same old thing" at times but becomes much more than that as a whole.
Extra Difficulty - Hardcore Mode
If you're truly devoted like myself, there's even a mode known as "Hardcore," and it's nothing less than sadistic. The enemies are at their toughest, the supplies are limited, there are no checkpoints, and if you die, you restart from your last save. Oh, and you can only save three times in the entire game. That's crazy talk, but damn, do I want to do it.
Multiplayer
Another stumble is multiplayer. I've played all of the game's five modes/maps, and none of them did anything for me. Players are broken into two teams: the humans have an objective and the Necromorphs are out to stop them at all costs. As a human, I'd run to an objective, hold out for as long as I could, and then get killed. As a Necromorph, I'd hope my minimal amount of damage dealt killed a weaken opponent or set the kill up for a friend. The pacing and vague objectives really didn't equate to fun. This isn't want I want out of a Dead Space experience.
-
Is it just me or did this game take a graphical downgrade? The first game appears to be better looking.
Anyway, I am mildly interested in this game but I doubt I will pick it up.
-
I just ordered my retail copy from Amazon. They have a special offer going for £25 ($40 USD). I actually ordered two copies (one for my brother and one for me) and the total shipping cost is about $15. Even if I ordered only one copy for myself it would still be $5 lower than the Steam/EA/D2D prices.
-
GameSpot Review - PS3 Version gets a 9.0. (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/deadspace2workingtitle/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary%3Bread-review&page=2)
It gets a 9.0 namely b/c PS3 Limited Edition version includes Dead Space: Extraction (formerly a Wii Exclusive) as a FREE bonus.
The first printing of the PS3 version, marked as the Limited Edition, also includes Dead Space Extraction at no extra cost. This is the same great, story-driven on-rails shooter that debuted on the Wii in 2009, presented here in high-definition and looking much better than ever.
Extraction's story introduces some strong characters and reveals fascinating details about the Church of Unitology and those trouble-causing markers they're so obsessed with. And the action is as intense and terrifying as you'd expect from a Dead Space game, with tons of satisfying limb-blasting and an assortment of powerful weapons.
The Wii version's excellent controls have been transferred seamlessly to the PlayStation Move, and that's the way this game should be played, though if you don't have one of those handy, you can fumble through it with a DualShock, too. Extraction can also be purchased separately on PlayStation Network for $15; its inclusion here for free is a terrific bonus.
Dead Space 2 doesn't bring with it the same sense of experiencing something utterly new and innovative that its predecessor did. But it's nonetheless an outstanding game, with a campaign that simultaneously leaves you satisfied and eager for more, and intense multiplayer that gives you a great reason to keep coming back to this terrifying universe. Toss in Dead Space Extraction, and Dead Space 2 becomes a great value, bursting with all the gory, scary sci-fi action you can handle. Unless you're just plain chicken, this is a sci-fi horror adventure you definitely want to suit up for.
-
Bluesnews -> Severed DLC is NOT coming to the PC. (http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=118053)
-
So I ended up springing for the collector's edition and now several hours into it. This game is fucking awesome. Better than the first one so far and lots of awesome, tense action scenes. There's also a lot more fucked up, crazy stuff in this too. Anyone who enjoyed the first should be playing this now.
-
I wasn't going to buy it. I swear I wasn't. Today I did.
Fuck me.
But I can't decide if I want to run through the first again before I jump in. Ugh. I don't really have the time or probably motivation, but... god damn it.
-
Que,
What platform you buy it for?
-
PS3. PS3 version is a so-called Limited Edition (not a CE... that's the expensive version that comes with stuff) and comes with a port of Dead Space: Extraction, the Wii light gun shooter and prequel. Has improved visuals and everything. I'm actually playing that right now while I debate whether to play through the first game again or jump into the new one. I'm actually really impressed with Extraction. The models are kinda' low poly and stuff, but the atmosphere is there, it's cool to see some locations from the first game, and it's cool to "watch" everything go down.
I'm actually thinking of picking up the iOS game as well. I really, really shouldn't, but I have to admit it, I'm a bloody Dead Space junkie. I just love actiony, bloody sci-fi horror stuff. I can't help it. At least I didn't buy the freaking CE for 2. Which I really did debate for a second in the store.
-
Are you playing Extraction on a Dualshock 3? How is it? I hear it has Move support, so I'm sure the experience would be better using the Move controller. However, it would be hard to justify the expense for one game.
-
It's not bad. It would be better with a move, but honestly, I haven't felt gimped much by using a stick. I've missed one or two items that were just too quick to grab, but I'm having a blast with the game so far. It's a nice change of pace.
-
Damn. I may have to take back my former statements. Either that, or this boss fight is just fundamentally fucking broken. Giant tentacle monster... the pattern is easy enough to figure out, it's fairly simple. Shoot the glowing bits when they try to attack you. But my shots don't register half the time. It's like you have to intentionally aim slightly off, but that doesn't necessarily get you anything. Sometimes the hits register, but by and large I can't make it consistent, and there's so much fucking camera jiggle that it's near impossible with the controller. I suspect it wouldn't be that much better with a Move controller, though, as even when I'm aimed spot on, it just doesn't work. Plus there are times when you need to use stasis to get through something and it doesn't register that you did, and you just stand there getting hit like a fucking dolt even though you did what you were supposed to.
I'm horribly disappointed because I was really having fun with this game, but at this point, I don't think I'll be able to move on from this level unless I set the difficulty to easy and throw myself at it 12 dozen more times, which I'm not even remotely interested in doing. I don't know if this was a problem with the original version or just the port (Pyro, you played it... thoughts?), but I'm really fucking disappointed, especially since the rest of the game has been very solid and enjoyable so far. I even went and read a FAQ to be positive... and sure enough, I'm doing everything right, the game is just messed up.
EDIT - Watched a video online, and the fight is definitely broken. It looks like if you bring the pulse gun and just stockpile ammo for it for the fight, the rapid-fire hail of bullets makes it a lot more likely that you'll hit the spots you need to. But even in the video the guy was getting direct hits that were doing nothing, and the stasis thing borked for him too. Dunno' how this got by QA. The rest of the game prior to this had felt very polished and balanced.
-
That sucks, Que. :(
That damn mini-planet mining section where you have to time the stasis and avoid the blades was a pain in the ass in Dead Space 1. Never got by it.
-
My PC copy arrived! Played about 10 mins so far. I'm impressed with the visuals and the cinematic appeal of the storytelling.
Will let you know how I handle the tentacle thing!
-
Haha, I was talking about Extraction, the Wii light gun shooter they ported to PS3 with DS2. Sorry, should have clarified that again. I haven't jumped into DS2 yet. Might play through the first again first, and will jump into the iOS DS before too, I think.
-
Oh hehe I'm still expecting a giant tentacle monster thing! :P
-
Damn. I may have to take back my former statements. Either that, or this boss fight is just fundamentally fucking broken. Giant tentacle monster... the pattern is easy enough to figure out, it's fairly simple. Shoot the glowing bits when they try to attack you. But my shots don't register half the time. It's like you have to intentionally aim slightly off, but that doesn't necessarily get you anything. Sometimes the hits register, but by and large I can't make it consistent, and there's so much fucking camera jiggle that it's near impossible with the controller. I suspect it wouldn't be that much better with a Move controller, though, as even when I'm aimed spot on, it just doesn't work. Plus there are times when you need to use stasis to get through something and it doesn't register that you did, and you just stand there getting hit like a fucking dolt even though you did what you were supposed to.
I'm horribly disappointed because I was really having fun with this game, but at this point, I don't think I'll be able to move on from this level unless I set the difficulty to easy and throw myself at it 12 dozen more times, which I'm not even remotely interested in doing. I don't know if this was a problem with the original version or just the port (Pyro, you played it... thoughts?), but I'm really fucking disappointed, especially since the rest of the game has been very solid and enjoyable so far. I even went and read a FAQ to be positive... and sure enough, I'm doing everything right, the game is just messed up.
EDIT - Watched a video online, and the fight is definitely broken. It looks like if you bring the pulse gun and just stockpile ammo for it for the fight, the rapid-fire hail of bullets makes it a lot more likely that you'll hit the spots you need to. But even in the video the guy was getting direct hits that were doing nothing, and the stasis thing borked for him too. Dunno' how this got by QA. The rest of the game prior to this had felt very polished and balanced.
Yea I remember that now, it was a bitch for me too. It was one of those fights where you had to hit him at the right moments and if you fucked it up, you were dead and had to start over again. Once I figured it out it wasn't so bad, it was just hard to tell when he was getting hurt.
-
I just heard about EA's marketing technique for this game -- screen it in front of various mothers to get their reaction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jri8LFci4xQ&feature=related
-
I just heard about EA's marketing technique for this game -- screen it in front of various mothers to get their reaction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jri8LFci4xQ&feature=related
NO MILFS WTF!
hahahaha
-
I tried that on my mom. I showed her a trailer asked her what she thought. She just said "I couldn't play that, I'd just die over and over." When I specifically asked her about the gore and violence, she said something like "looks pretty good to me," as if I were asking about the graphics.
Then I showed her the "you mom hates dead space 2" thing, and she laughed her ass off. She thought it was staged because of the reactions.
Though if you were to show it to my grandmother, completely different story. She might throw up, or have a heart attack. Or both.
-
I watched the movie Alien at the theater when it first released. I was shocked numb. Now, something like that seems commonplace and doesn't affect me nearly so much. We get desensitized along the way. Someone my mother's age, yeah, she can't take it, and doesn't want to try.
-
Since I finished Dead Space 2 a few days ago, I borrowed my brother's Move controller for Dead Space Extraction and I'm liking it and doing a little better with it than I was with the Dualshock and I'm enjoying the game so far.
-
Yeah, I just finished it. That boss fight was completely fine with an automatic weapon. I couldn't get the pulse rifle but even just the pistol was fine. Finished the game just 10 minutes ago... and hooray for bugs! The game fades out, looks like it's gonna' do something... and I get a black screen. Been sitting that way for 10 minutes now. Gonna' have to quit the game and I guess wait for a patch or something, if one ever comes. Fucking hell. I guess I saw the ending, but I really have no idea if there was anything after that, haha.
But it really was a cool game. Better than I expected it to be.
-
I'm so excited right now lol. I just won a free copy of the game for Xbox 360.
Gamerbits.com was having a contest, they said to follow their twitter by 2pm EST today for a chance to win, and that knowing unitology might help. So I spent a few hours last night learning to read and write in unitology. They gave a message to decode, and I was the first to send in an answer.
-
I'm so excited right now lol. I just won a free copy of the game for Xbox 360.
Gamerbits.com was having a contest, they said to follow their twitter by 2pm EST today for a chance to win, and that knowing unitology might help. So I spent a few hours last night learning to read and write in unitology. They gave a message to decode, and I was the first to send in an answer.
Congrats! :)
-
Nice. I was all set to play it last night when I decided to play through the first again. I don't regret the choice, I'm having just as much fun this time as I did when I first played it.
-
I'm so excited right now lol. I just won a free copy of the game for Xbox 360.
Gamerbits.com was having a contest, they said to follow their twitter by 2pm EST today for a chance to win, and that knowing unitology might help. So I spent a few hours last night learning to read and write in unitology. They gave a message to decode, and I was the first to send in an answer.
Congrats, dude!
Also I finished up Extraction a couple of hours after my last post and it was a pretty fun game. I might play through it again sometime on one of the harder difficulties. I didn't run into any of the bugs you encounted, Que, sucks that it happened though.
-
I'm so excited right now lol. I just won a free copy of the game for Xbox 360.
Gamerbits.com was having a contest, they said to follow their twitter by 2pm EST today for a chance to win, and that knowing unitology might help. So I spent a few hours last night learning to read and write in unitology. They gave a message to decode, and I was the first to send in an answer.
Nerd.
j/k :P Grats though.
-
haha
-
Man, this game is not easy. Not at all.
-
I'm playing through the first game again on hard and not having much trouble. How would you say it compares to that?
-
I might be a horrible judge of this. It's probably exactly on par with what I remember from the first, I just don't like going over the same ground twice in a game ever really, so dying while playing twice in one night makes me not want to play again....at least in a game like this as opposed to a platformer or something like Super Meat Boy.
It's probably not that bad, I probably just need to put it down on easy to enjoy it more personally. Specifically at one section where it seems like an unstoppable swarm of babies keeps on killing me.
-
Haha, yeah, there were a couple points on my current run through the first that did knock me over a few times, but on the whole I haven't found it all that difficult, or felt like I had to repeat too much stuff. The fight in the ER with the regenerating dude handed my ass to me probably a good 4 times, I had trouble with a couple swarms of those little tiny limpet things that I really didn't have good weaponry to handle, and one of those big wall-cluster dudes that spits out the little turret-like things killed me several times because I had no means of just blowing it up outright, and I've been a little light on ammo a few times, but mostly it's felt okay. I feel you, though. Some games it just doesn't make sense to play on a harder difficulty if it annoys you.
-
Is this game more difficult than the first?
I remember in the first game I only had a few deaths in the entire playthrough except for the final encounter. The final encounter took a couple of tries.
From what you guys are saying, it appears that this game is significantly more challenging than the first... either that or there are just more cheap deaths.
-
I don't really remembering dying too many times on the first one either. To be fair, I'm about two hours in and have maybe died three times in the second one, with one of those deaths being pretty easily avoidable if I was paying better attention. The other two are at exactly the same spot and probably more of a case where I just need a different weapon...or to be less buzzed when playing. It might not be that much worse, but it was just annoying me for some reason.
-
Is this game more difficult than the first?
I remember in the first game I only had a few deaths in the entire playthrough except for the final encounter. The final encounter took a couple of tries.
From what you guys are saying, it appears that this game is significantly more challenging than the first... either that or there are just more cheap deaths.
I would say its only a tiny bit more difficult than the first one and just at a couple of parts. I did my first playthrough on normal and died maybe 4 or 5 times total, and a couple of those not even being killed by enemies but by puzzle/enviroment parts.
-
I probably died like 5-6 times in the first game (playing on medium). At least 3 of those were at the part where you have to release the asteroid, and I stupidly walked into the rotating things you have to dodge. Repeatedly haha.
-
Dead Space 2 is Amazon's deal of the day today.
$40 regular version
$60 collector's edition
LINKY (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=tsm_1_tw_vgdotd_2010110?ref=tsm_1_tw_vgdotd_20101101ie=UTF8&docId=1000208101&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=0EPJFHV5G7K2035HHARV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=496383031&pf_rd_i=468642)
-
Dead Space 2 is Amazon's deal of the day today.
$40 regular version
$60 collector's edition
LINKY (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=tsm_1_tw_vgdotd_2010110?ref=tsm_1_tw_vgdotd_20101101ie=UTF8&docId=1000208101&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=0EPJFHV5G7K2035HHARV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=496383031&pf_rd_i=468642)
Thanks. Good catch.
Edited/Added to first post in thread, as well. :)
-
I've got a couple questions:
1. I'm guessing the online pass code is on a seperate slip of paper in the box? That seems to be missing from my copy that I won. Not that the online is what I want the game for, but I had sort of planned on messing around with it. I guess if I do break down and buy a code for $10, at least that's for a game I got for free.
2. Anyone know what all the unlocks are from Dead Space Ignition? I've got the hacker suit, and it says there's 4 doors throughout the game with extra stuff inside. Is that everything? I'm hoping so, then I won't have to go back and play Ignition, it's terrible haha.
3. Should I play through Extraction before playing DS2? I'm not sure how long it is, but my copy is for the Wii, and I'd have to play on my brother's. I don't have a way of hooking the Wii up to my TV (which is just a monitor with HDMI/DVI/VGA), so I'd have to play it in my brother's room. I'm also not sure how long Extraction is and I sort of want to get to DS2.
-
The chronological order of the Dead Space universe is, I believe, as follows:
Dead Space Animated Comics (PSN has them)
Dead Space: Downfall (Straight to video animated movie -- actually not bad)
Dead Space: Extraction
Dead Space
Dead Space: Ignition
Dead Space: Aftermath (another straight to video animated movie; I heard this one sucked though)
Dead Space 2
I am not sure if Ignition is before or after Aftermath though.
I think that's why you're asking if you should play Extraction before DS2.
-
Well, mostly I was wondering if there's more unlocks. When I sat down to play some Ignition, I quit mid-game and did NOT want to continue. I'm thinking if there's no more unlocks from Ignition for DS2, I'll watch Ignition on YouTube for the story.
At this point, Extraction, Ignition, and DS2 are the only parts I haven't consumed. The comic is on XBL as well, I "obtained" Aftermath, and I own the Downfall DVD. I'm just wondering if I'll be spoiling anything significant by playing DS2 first, then Extraction. I'm actually thinking about trying to track down a cable to get a Wii hooked up to my monitor because it's just so much easier if I can play it here.
-
I've got a couple questions:
1. I'm guessing the online pass code is on a seperate slip of paper in the box? That seems to be missing from my copy that I won. Not that the online is what I want the game for, but I had sort of planned on messing around with it. I guess if I do break down and buy a code for $10, at least that's for a game I got for free.
2. Anyone know what all the unlocks are from Dead Space Ignition? I've got the hacker suit, and it says there's 4 doors throughout the game with extra stuff inside. Is that everything? I'm hoping so, then I won't have to go back and play Ignition, it's terrible haha.
3. Should I play through Extraction before playing DS2? I'm not sure how long it is, but my copy is for the Wii, and I'd have to play on my brother's. I don't have a way of hooking the Wii up to my TV (which is just a monitor with HDMI/DVI/VGA), so I'd have to play it in my brother's room. I'm also not sure how long Extraction is and I sort of want to get to DS2.
1. Yeah, the online code is on a slip of paper in box.
2. I beat Ignition and all I got was the hacker suit and the extra rooms that you can unlock. I think you only have to have a Dead Space Ignition save past your first hack you do in that game to unlock all of that stuff, so finishing the game is not necessary. There are other unlocks you can get, such as a different looking Plasma Cutter if you have a Dead Space save file. You can also get a suit and a different force gun if you got the collector's edition.
3. No, you don't really have to play Extraction before playing DS2 since it takes place before the first game and doesn't really have any spoilers for DS2. Extraction is pretty short, I beat it in two sittings on Normal difficulty, but I could have easily have done it in one long sitting.
-
The only thing not mentioned here is the iOS game, which is like Ignition, a prequel of DS2 taking place on the Sprawl. I think I read somewhere you get unlocks or something if it's tied to your EA account, but I haven't confirmed that.
-
I beat Ignition and all I got was the hacker suit and the extra rooms that you can unlock. I think you only have to have a Dead Space Ignition save past your first hack you do in that game to unlock all of that stuff, so finishing the game is not necessary. There are other unlocks you can get, such as a different looking Plasma Cutter if you have a Dead Space save file. You can also get a suit and a different force gun if you got the collector's edition.
Yea, the plasma cutter redesign is one of the things that unlocked for me the first time I booted up DS2, as well as the extra rooms and hacker suit. So I guess I got it all. I'll just watch a playthrough on YouTube and then maybe I'll come back to it at some point later, but probably not.
-
I've been looking to see if any places had been offering deals for this like best buy or amazon usual do when they give you $20 in store credit, but the $20 off also works so I just ordered it. Can't wait to play it.
-
I'm on chapter 3 or 4 now, and having a blast. Love the Zero-G stuff.
Inventory management was a pain, and I kept getting ammo for guns I wasn't carrying and hadn't even bought from the store. So I found myself backtracking to the last store quite often so I could sell off extra ammo and buy the type I actually need. But now I got the hacker suit and it's not so much a problem.
I'm liking the multiplayer too. I enjoyed it when I was in the beta, but wasn't sure about if it would really feel needed with the full game. It's no "needed", but it gives me a vibe similar to horde mode in Gears. Though an actual horde mode would be even better (or let me and some friends play the human side of a MP match against bots only, but with no time limit and more necros). At first it felt like the humans were overpowered, because I did terrible as a necro and dominated as a human, in the same games. But after a few more games it seems more balanced, though the humans can still get terribly spawn trapped by some coordinated necros, which was a problem in the beta too.
-
Well, well, well... (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/10/dead-space-2-dlc-on-pc-via-3-4-kb-save-file/)
-
Just finished the game. Wow, those last couple chapters were sort of terrible. The rest was amazing though.
-
Here's a video of the gun you get when you beat the game on hardcore mode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBS86rAT4W0
-
EA Forums -> Dead Space 2 PC has been patched. (http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5225708.page)
We're happy to announce that a patch for Dead Space 2 is now available for download! Below you will find the link to download the executable file as well as the patch notes.
We are currently finalizing the patch for Steam users and will update this thread shortly when it is available.
* The Elite Engineering Suit will now appear properly after
completing a full-playthrough of the Single Player Campaign.
* Save games will now be recorded, and deducted, properly when
playing the Single Player Campaign in Hardcore mode.
* Support for mouse button binding to movement keys & allowing up
to 8 mouse buttons + mouse button de-bounce fixes
* Unlocks suit and weapon packs which will now be available at the
in-game store at zero cost for players
DOWNLOAD HERE: http://static.cdn.ea.com/visceral/u/f/DeadSpace2/deadspace2.exe
Thank you for your patience as resolve these issues and thank you for your support!
-
Unlocks suit and weapon packs which will now be available at the
in-game store at zero cost for players
Does this mean the weapon packs that were previously only available through a downloaded save game? If so, that means the PC gets them for free, sort of officially, and they still cost $5 each for the consoles.
Why this matters: I've heard those packs can help a lot with hardcore mode. The suits and weapons from them show up in the first shop, meaning you can get them much earlier than you normally would. So instead of getting gun X or suit Y on chapter 10 or 15, you get it on chapter 1.
-
Yes, that's them - PC is getting those for FREE w/ this new patch.
I know - it's not fair to console gamers. :(
It should be unlocked for FREE for them, too.
-
Bitmob -> "Better living through dying: How Dead Space makes violence matter." (http://www.bitmob.com/articles/better-living-through-dying-how-dead-space-makes-violence-significant)
I noticed another effect while playing Dead Space and its sequel. Once I had accepted that these games were going to be unpleasant no matter what I did, I also became more accepting of failure. While failure in a game is very rarely satisfying, what Dead Space accomplishes with its occasionally elaborate kill animations is to infuse failure with an element of (admittedly morbid) curiosity.
When I'd gotten Isaac into a situation in which he was hopelessly outnumbered, low on ammo, and trapped, the first thought I had after, "Well, shit. I'm doing this over again" was "How are they going to kill him this time?" And the answer to that question was always interesting.
-
Yea almost every time i died it was, "oh shit, I can't beli... whoa, that was cool."
-
Yea almost every time i died it was, "oh shit, I can't beli... whoa, that was cool."
Yeah, after reading The Bitmob article - I actually realized at times how hard Dead Space 1 was.
I was like, "Yeah...I guess I did DIE A LOT. I remember seeing A LOT of death sequences...even if it was over and over and over...hehe.
-
I did not find the original Dead Space difficult at all, except the final boss, which was more of an annoying fight. I believe I had less than 5 deaths going through the entire game if you don't include deaths and retries on the final boss.
-
Severed DLC is up on the Xbox Live Marketplace.
Should be up on PSN later tonight when it updates.
I like how it just came out and it's already the 11th item in the newest addons list on Xbox. Why? Four $3 Hot Persuit packs, four Rock Band track packs, a Fable III costume, and something called Shadow Battle for MvC3. This nickle and dime shit is annoying me even when it's not for games I play.
-
Damn. I may have to take back my former statements. Either that, or this boss fight is just fundamentally fucking broken. Giant tentacle monster... the pattern is easy enough to figure out, it's fairly simple. Shoot the glowing bits when they try to attack you. But my shots don't register half the time. It's like you have to intentionally aim slightly off, but that doesn't necessarily get you anything. Sometimes the hits register, but by and large I can't make it consistent, and there's so much fucking camera jiggle that it's near impossible with the controller. I suspect it wouldn't be that much better with a Move controller, though, as even when I'm aimed spot on, it just doesn't work. Plus there are times when you need to use stasis to get through something and it doesn't register that you did, and you just stand there getting hit like a fucking dolt even though you did what you were supposed to.
I'm horribly disappointed because I was really having fun with this game, but at this point, I don't think I'll be able to move on from this level unless I set the difficulty to easy and throw myself at it 12 dozen more times, which I'm not even remotely interested in doing. I don't know if this was a problem with the original version or just the port (Pyro, you played it... thoughts?), but I'm really fucking disappointed, especially since the rest of the game has been very solid and enjoyable so far. I even went and read a FAQ to be positive... and sure enough, I'm doing everything right, the game is just messed up.
EDIT - Watched a video online, and the fight is definitely broken. It looks like if you bring the pulse gun and just stockpile ammo for it for the fight, the rapid-fire hail of bullets makes it a lot more likely that you'll hit the spots you need to. But even in the video the guy was getting direct hits that were doing nothing, and the stasis thing borked for him too. Dunno' how this got by QA. The rest of the game prior to this had felt very polished and balanced.
I've been watching Extraction on YouTube because it's easier since I don't have a Wii or a PS3, and I just got to this fight. Just watching it is frustrating. By the way, I also just happened to watch an interview with a guy from DICE earlier. He was saying that with Mirror's Edge, they had to change from the idea of animating the camera based on movement to basing it off perception. Strapping a camera to someone's head to motion cap wouldn't work. In real life, our eyes and brain adjust as you move around so you actually get a smoother view of the world. This is something they aimed for with ME. DS:E obviously does not, as I see shots miss constantly due to camera jerkiness. I'm so glad I decided to watch this game instead of play it.
-
I just finished the Severed DLC, and it was pretty good. It took me about an hour and a half. Not bad I guess considering it was only $7.
It apparently pulls in the upgrades you've gotten from the main game, but I'm not sure how. I saw people in the GAF thread talking about having a full 25 slot inventory, but I only had 15 slots for the DLC, despite having 25 in the full game. It also carries over your power node placements in your weapons, which I mistook for the game giving me partially powered up equipment from the start. As far as me only getting 15 inventory slots, maybe it took the upgrade data from the wrong save or something. I would have loved those extra 10 slots, as I was really struggling with inventory space.
I really hope they've got more DLC on the way. I'd love to have some new DS content periodically during the wait for DS3.
-
So, I bought this Dead Space 2 yesterday for PC during that EA Flash Deal and all. And well...it took 2 hours of my life away approximately. So far, the game is really good - I'm talking about the SP portion, of course.
The PC KB/mouse controls are MUCH, MUCH better - since you can actually move them ALL anywhere on the keyboard and mouse...unlike Dead Space 1. So, for me - this time, forget the control pad - I'm going w/ the KB/mouse.
Game runs great and looks good on my old-ass rig, as well. It's on one of the 1xxxx by 1xxx res' settings I got it on w/ everything on High.
Already....there were some awesome moments.
[spoiler]
The whole part of the tram was awesome...and diving/floating from tram-to-tram. And my favorite part of that ride at the end of it has to be w/ Isaac gets caught on the train when it stops, flipped and hanging upside down and you can only aim and start shooting at things. Freaking awesome.[/spoiler]
-
SPECIAL LINK - $15 OFF + Free Shipping on Dead Space 2 directly from EA. (http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID=55316700&childCategoryID=55316700)
PC, Download Version = $24.95
PS3 or X360 - Reg. Edition, Retail Box = $44.95
PC, X360, or PS3 - Collector's Edition, Retail Box = $64.95
-
Well I put in about 4 hours of this the other night, not much to complain about. Though I am feeling less tense than I did when I played the first one. There has been plenty of pop out scares, but none have phased me. Though I know by the end of the first one I didn't feel as stressed out, I think because I had gotten the controls and general feel for the game down pretty tight. I'm playing it on normal and I'm progressing through it pretty well, there have been spots where I died a couple times and I have been using first aids a good bit but I was merely toying with weapon strategies. Also I'm getting shit tons of ammo, or Im just really good at conserving it and making good shots. Still though, I'm having tons of fun. And that opening... holy shit, seriously I think that was one of the most disturbing things I have seen in a video game.
-
So I ended up on the Dead Space 2 merch store and couldn't resist buying a t-shirt. There are some awesome shirts on there, but the one I wanted was sold out, but there was this one (http://visceralstore.com/dead-space/dead-space-apparel/plasma-cutter-tee) and it's on sale. I'm so weak.
-
So I ended up on the Dead Space 2 merch store and couldn't resist buying a t-shirt. There are some awesome shirts on there, but the one I wanted was sold out, but there was this one (http://visceralstore.com/dead-space/dead-space-apparel/plasma-cutter-tee) and it's on sale. I'm so weak.
Did you use the "TITAN" promo code to net you 20% off purchase from Visceral's store?
The code was put on their Facebook page yesterday for Dead Space series. (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/deadspace)
-
A friend is playing through this now, and he managed to find a scale early in the game, before you hit the first store and grab your suit. It said he was 195lb or something like that. He found another one later after he was in a suit and had some weapons, and now it reads 250lb.
-
I finished Dead Space 2 last nite - what an awesome game. Despite being quite tough...
[spoiler]especially once you hit Chapter 10 and beyond w/ all the obvious infinite respawn areas and even a monster that regenerates his limbs in Chapter 14[/spoiler]
This was one awesome SP game. :)
Tried the MP last nite. Interesting, but something's lacking. I dunno - not many maps open by default, unless there's unlocks later or DLC later for this. Anyone know how many MP maps there are? Gonna have to give it more time...
-
I think there's like 5 MP maps.
-
I think there's like 5 MP maps.
That's it?!!?? Bummer. :(
Man, this MP needs some DLC and a SDK released...
-
Jotstiq -> Visceral's executive producer for Dead Space games Scott Amos leaves Visceral [EA] for Crystal Dynamics to work on New IP. (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/29/scott-amos-leaves-visceral-for-crystal-dynamics-will-help-devel/)
-
Best Buy -> Dead Space 2 PC [Retail box] = $20. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dead+Space+2+-+Windows/1473038.p?id=1218261840044&skuId=1473038&st=dead%20space&lp=4&cp=1&AID=10597222&PID=1312731&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2FDead%2BSpace%2B2%2B-%2BWindows%2F1473038.p%3Fid%3D1218261840044%26skuId%3D1473038%26st%3Ddead%2520space%26lp%3D4%26cp%3D1&ref=39&CJPID=1312731&loc=01)
-
D2D -> Dead Space 2 PC = $19.95. (http://www.direct2drive.com/10210/product/Buy-Dead-Space-2-Download)
-
Dead Space 2: Collector's Edition [Retail Box] for PC = $29.99 on Amazon w/ Free Saver Shipping. (http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Collectors-Pc/dp/B0047O7XUK?tag=cheapassgam08-20)
(http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/19507/1555465-e2d85bd6940fa72a98a75f694e6bc996_super.jpg)
To quote W7RE's post, (http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=5195.msg93822#msg93822) some time back in this thread...
Comes with:
Game
Plasma cutter
Soundtrack (including "Scoring Dead Space 2" featurette)
Lithograph with concept art depicting a necromorph transformation
In-game items: Unitology Suit and Force Gun
-
I'd be on that like Keebler on a transsexual Thai prostitute if I were in the states.
-
I'd be on that like Keebler on a transsexual Thai prostitute if I were in the states.
Keebler is on the tranny that's going the other way, right? Formerly a chick turning into a dude? Right? Creepy but I won't judge the tranny. Keeblstein on the other is free game.
P.S. I have a bad cold, I'm kinda delirious but I felt like jumping on the bash Keebler bandwagon.. Sorry, Keebleheimler, it's not personal just very graphic.