Overwritten.net
Community => Entertainment => Topic started by: iPPi on Thursday, October 19, 2006, 06:16:27 PM
-
An extreme Korean movie made in 2003. I finally got a chance to watch it since it was so highly received.
Gotta say, it's an amazing movie, but it's also quite gruesome, graphic, and disturbing.
-
Yup...thats a cool movie.
-
saw it when it came out, got a nice quality rip sometime early 2004, was awesome then, will have to watch it again.
-
Haven't seen it yet, but keep meaning to.
-
Que, 2 words: Hammer Fight
-
>:D
-
Ahhhhh, Park and his trilogy of "Vengeance..."
Oldboy was outstanding.
Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance was pretty good.
I ain't seen Lady Vengeance yet....
-
Que, 2 words: Hammer Fight
fuck that was an awesome part
[spoiler]The part where he rips out that guys teeth with the hammer was fuckin brutal[/spoiler]
-
[spoiler]This movie had probably the most fucked up sex scene ever considering the ending[/spoiler]
-
I just watched it. Wow, that was pretty fucked up.
-
I haven't seen the 3rd movie yet, Oldboy blew me away. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance was pretty decent.
The end of Oldboy practically had me curled into the fetal position on my living room floor.
-
I haven't seen the 3rd movie yet, Oldboy blew me away. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance was pretty decent.
The end of Oldboy practically had me curled into the fetal position on my living room floor.
Oh yuh -- the end, sure as hell, had me cringing.
Ick! Ick! And Ick!
-
Lady Vengeance was pretty good as well. Still, Oldboy is my fave of the 3.
-
Lady Vengeance was pretty good as well. Still, Oldboy is my fave of the 3.
I still ain't seen Lady V, yet.
-
As brutal and hard-hitting as Oldboy was, I think I found myself more into Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I just felt like it was the best of the trilogy. I got into the characters much more than in Oldboy or Lady Vengeance.
-
As brutal and hard-hitting as Oldboy was, I think I found myself more into Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I just felt like it was the best of the trilogy. I got into the characters much more than in Oldboy or Lady Vengeance.
Oh, I liked Sympathy, too -- that was pretty good.
But, I do prefer Oldboy, actually. Oldboy was a masterpiece of brutality.
-
You guys can't be fucking serious! As soon as they let him out of his prison the movie went down hill. Not to mention the "big twist" was predictable from a mile away...style can only take you so far.
-
I want to see this. And learn the spoiler tags please. :P
-
I forgot to mention this a few days ago, but I read in a newspaper that there are plans for Steven Speilberg to direct a remake of Oldboy with Will Smith starring in it.
Also, this remake will be written by the man who wrote the screenplay for the I Am Legend remake starring Will Smith.
Why is there a sudden need to remake a recent masterpiece film / comic book? :o
EDIT:
You knew this news had to be on the Internet, as well.
This news is from MTV.com. (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/11/21/will-smith-definitely-starring-in-oldboy-says-steven-spielberg-film-wont-be-a-remake/)
Will Smith Definitely Starring In ‘Oldboy,’ Says Steven Spielberg Film Won’t Be A Remake
Published by Elisabeth Rappe on Friday, November 21, 2008 at 10:21 am.
It’s official now: Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are remaking Chan-Wook Park’s, “Oldboy.” Film School Rejects caught up with Smith, who confirmed that he was starring in the film, but was quick to dismiss the claims and complaints that he and Spielberg were remaking Park’s film.
“We’re looking at that right now. Not the film though, it’s the original source material,” said Smith. “There’s the original comics of ‘Oldboy’ that they made the first film from. And that’s what we’re working from, not an adaptation of the film.”
Spielberg has apparently secured the rights to the original manga epic by Nobuaki Minegishi and Garon Tsuchiya. While story differences between the comic and the film are slight, the manga isn’t as hardcore as Park’s film. Many of the more controversial elements, like the live octopus eating, and the incest subplot, aren’t part of the original story. So, that explains how Spielberg and Smith will tone the whole thing down for American audiences and ratings.
And they’ve got a writer to help them adapt it to an American setting. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Mark Protosevich has landed the job of writing the script. While the “Thor” writer knows his way around comics, many were upset with his take on “I Am Legend.” What kind of take will he have on “Oldboy”?
MTV readers were pretty upset at the news of an “Oldboy” remake — are you calmed by the claim that Smith and Spielberg want to adapt the manga, and not remake Park’s film? Is it a remake of it goes to the original source material? Or do you think they’re just trying to duck the rather vocal criticism?
-
Also, this remake will be written by the man who wrote the screenplay for the I Am Legend remake starring Will Smith.
INSTANT FAIL
-
That's the most idiotic thing I have ever heard.
-
You know what's probably the sad part?
This planned remake will probably do great box-office numbers in America -- and still be nowhere even close to as great as the Park's masterpiece flick.
I guess the only good that might come out of this remake is people might be curious about wanting to see the Park Chan-Wook version of Oldboy.
-
I saw the original because I heard a lot about it here, even got my friends to see it. It WILL be Amercicanized, I'm curious as to what it will be rated and how faithful it will be to the story.