Overwritten.net
Games => General Gaming => Topic started by: K-man on Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 10:46:50 AM
-
On top of the episodic content for Fable II announced earlier, Molyneux has officially announced Fable 3 set for a 2010 launch.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/19/molyneux-announces-fable-iii-at-gamescom/
Peter Molyneux has just announced Fable III is coming later in 2010. You'll play as the son or daughter of your Fable II hero and start a revolution to become the ruler of Albion.
# Molyneux teases: "I think there's something fundamentally wrong with role-playing games. Game like Fable ... it's been there since the early '80s." Won't say what he thinks it is yet. Will announce later.
# "The race for the crown has begun." Tagline spoken by Zoe Wanamaker/Narrator.
# Game takes place about 50 years after the first. You play as the child of the hero. Bowerstone has continued moving on and has become quite industrial. The game is not just about Albion this time.
# Half the game will be spent trying to ascend to power. The game will not turn into a micromanagement RTS after that point. Judgment and Touch system will be used to influence the world.
# Focus on story and drama in this iteration. Actors and writers have blocked entire scenes. Video shown of practice sessions.
# Asks what type of kingdom will you have: poverty/greed, tyranny/compassion, progress/tradition?
# On the way to the crown, players will make deals and promises to factions. The question is whether people will keep those promises once they're in power.
# Players are a hero ruler -- Molyneux used the example of Star Trek or Caesar, that players won't just be sitting around once they rule Albion. They will still have adventures.
# New gameplay mechanic: Judgment and Touch. Judgment allows the player to dictate the outcome of a situation. The example used was a girl who steals food is brought in front of the ruler. The player can judge her immediately or investigate. Touch will allow players to grab NPCs. Example used was running into a burning building to grab a child who wouldn't come otherwise. Now you can shake someone's hand or refuse to. Handshake leads to hug, to embrace, a "snog," and as for that last one, Molyneux "won't say where it'll lead." This will replace the expression system.
Could be interesting. I certainly like the premise.
-
I thought I had a Fable 3 thread going already... (http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=5070.0)
I call for a merge.
-
We'll live with more than one thread.
-
That guy annoys the shit out of me now. Not even because of Fable. I just find him really irritating. It was beginning to get that way a while ago, and then when he did that fucking video for E3 with the little virtual kid... I've just had this urge to attack him with a chainsaw. I'm not sure why that is.
-
That guy annoys the shit out of me now. Not even because of Fable. I just find him really irritating. It was beginning to get that way a while ago, and then when he did that fucking video for E3 with the little virtual kid... I've just had this urge to attack him with a chainsaw.
A Natal-based chainsaw?
-
No. A real one. Powered by gasoline and pure hatred.
-
You wouldn't do that to poor Milo...or would ya...?
:o
-
My experiences with Fable games have been weird. At the end of both games I felt a little underwhelmed. I think the major reason for that is because by a little after the middle of the game you are just so absurdly powerful the game is just way too easy (Lost Chapters fixed this to an extent). After that both games are kind of a bore. I have such fond memories of both games and I think that is because of the setting and atmosphere rather than the game itself. Regardless the warm fuzzies are still there and I really can't dog either game as much as I'd want to.
-
I feel much the same. I never finished either game (well, I never finished the lost chapter of the first -- did finish the stock game), and even though I was generally underwhelmed, I really enjoyed the time I spent with both. Like I said, my current irritation toward Molyneaux has nothing to do with Fable. I don't think the franchise has ever lived up to its potential, but I'd love to see it manage to do so.
-
If there's anything I'd want to stab him for it's the cut scenes in Black and White you couldn't skip initially.
-
Of course Molyneux's Fable games will never live up to their potential -- b/c he said Fable would be "the greatest RPG ever." Fable TLC was great, but it's definitely NOT the best RPG ever. That's a title you have to earn from critics and gamers alike, not by just being a hype machine and saying your game will wind up as such numerous years before your game drops.
Molyneux does have some great ideas b/c he has such huge scope and ambition and tried some things nobody else really has came up with or implemented before -- but half the time, he scales them down from his original intentions and/or the touted feature winds up completely cut-out of the game entirely.
-
Fable 3 interview w/ Peter Molyneux. (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1019820p1.html)
Peter's desire...
IGN AU: It's taken three games so far in the Fable series to accomplish the ambitions, scope and vision you had for the first game.
Peter Molyneux: Wow, that's interesting you should say that.
IGN AU: Well, you tell me what your thoughts are on that. Is it a progressive, building-blocks process?
Peter Molyneux: That's very interesting. We're plagued by this idiotic—well, it's not an idiotic line, I still stand by it—this line that I said back in Fable 1 – 'we want to make the greatest role-playing game of all time'. And I mean that – and I mean that about anything we do. And quite often at Lionhead, I'll say 'look – why are we doing this shit, man? We're not doing this to make the fourth or fifth best role-playing game of all time – we need to make the first.
Good luck w/ that one, Peter. A lot of great RPG games you're gonna have to surpass, to try to top that...
The "Start Here As Nothing And Become Something By Defeating A Bad Guy" RPG Cliche
Peter Molyneux: In Fable III, the very story says 'right—why is it there's this formula in both film and games that you start here and you're a little nobody here, and you get more powerful and you hear about a bad guy here... and by the end of the game, you defeat the bad guy; credits roll.
"Dynamic Touch"
IGN AU: So to extrapolate on that thought for a moment, during your presentation, you mentioned that you were breaking an 'insidious, fundamental RPG mechanic.' Are you eliminating endings? Is that what you were referring to?
Peter Molyneux: Good guess, good guess – but it's not the thing I'm referring to. The thing I'm talking about isn't structural as much as it's gameplay. You know, when you work on something and you sit down, it's an interesting process that you go through. I'll give you this example, because it's a good one – and if you extrapolate it and link it to gameplay, it gives you a clue.
'Dynamic Touch' will be an interesting new direction and evolution of Fable II's Expression system.
You know with the expression system – it was new and different with Fable 1, and a bit more polished in Fable II – but just adding 20 more expressions in Fable III, it's not enough. And you know, when you're king, just standing around and farting, it's funny for five minutes – but does this really add to it?
Then, inventing this 'touch' mechanic and touch-based expressions...
IGN AU: This is the perfect segue, actually – and I think this is a distinctly Lionhead thing. With 'Milo and Kate' (the Natal human interaction simulation), it's very much about 'touch' too – emotional and, with the camera-passing, physical too. When you looked at Fable III, knowing you wanted to extend the expression mechanic, did you look to your work on Milo and Kate for crossovers?
Peter Molyneux: Do you know, you're right – and the weird thing is, I've only just realised it talking to guys like you.
IGN AU: Well, it's an interesting parallel.
Peter Molyneux: It is. More and more – and these aren't questions I can really answer about Milo because I have some very strict rules about it – but more and more I can feel that it's about a game character meeting you. This is very interesting; it's about making that barrier between you so thin that, subconsciously, I wanted to get that across in Fable. And of course, I'm not announcing any Fable stuff for Natal at all, but the touch mechanic is very much like that.
As The "Active King".
IGN AU: I guess, related to ethics, few adventure games and RPGs have truly done politics well. I mean, there are strategy games that use elements of this, but it's difficult to convey realistically the nuances of political manoeuvring. Mostly it's just been cause and effect. In Fable III, it sounds like you're loosening the choker a bit; can characters challenge you for rule, create risings, revolutions and anarchy, for instance? Can the game push back at you, if you're pushing one way?
Peter Molyneux: Okay, so – yes, is the answer to all of those things. The beauty of this mechanic and the judgement mechanic is that it enables you as a player to get involved in whatever area you'd like to get involved in. So whether you're passing judgement on a small case about a loaf of bread or whether it be a big case about this community should go under military rule, you can decide 'no, I'm going to go out there as king and sort it all out'.
IGN AU: You're the 'active' king.
Peter Molyneux: Exactly. You can be an active or a passive ruler. Or you can say 'my judgement is...' –and I need to be very careful about how I say this, because of spoilers—'one of my advisors is going to go out there and sort it out for me.' And I would just say to you, 'be careful, man – power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.'
You know that element from Fable 1 and Fable II that we had called 'Renown'? That is super-important now! It's related entirely to what the people think of you and your rule. And if your renown goes too low, don't expect them to just sit there and take it, man!
Fable III is inspired by...history.
IGN AU: So we can expect a framework of real historical events as your building blocks.
Peter Molyneux: Yeah, and if you look at the history of Amman in Jordan, the two brothers – it's well worth looking at that stuff as well. That's almost a spoiler. Look at Henry the VIII – not only did he have six wives, but he also threw all religion out of the country and reinvented it. And, he taxed people enormously heavily; that's where the 'window tax' came from – taxing peoples' windows in their houses – and he used five percent of that total tax income just on his wine cellar!
-
More Molyneux hype.
-
Molyneux says Fable 3 is close to its "final edit stage." (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/05/fable-3-almost-at-its-final-edit-stage-says-molyneux/)
Fable 3 'almost at its final edit' stage, says Molyneux
by Ben Gilbert { Feb 5th 2010 at 5:30PM }
The head of MGS Europe assuredly has a few more things on his plate than the third game in a franchise he helped create, but in a recent feature on Peter Molyneux at Develop, the British creator calmly pronounced the game to be nearing its "final edit" stage of production. Whether he means "ready for submission to Microsoft" or "we haven't started polishing it yet" (or, heck, anywhere in between) remains unclear, though we'd certainly like to get our hands on the final product sooner rather than later.
Additionally, Molyneux triple dips on his love for Valve, proclaiming Half-Life 2 as his "favourite" game ever (you crazy Brits!) as well as the game he would most like to have worked on, and also notes the developer as the one he most admires (get a room, you two!). And hey, if you've been hankering to know his "favourite" album, it's Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon." (Yep, we were kind of disappointed too.)
-
Molyneux says there is something about Fable 3 that is going to "piss off" some people... (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/you-will-be-pissed-off-by-fable-iii-reveal)
-
Well, that's sort of par for the course for him isn't it?
-
Will it be because Peter Molyneaux is still taken seriously? That kind of pisses me off.
-
It's hilarious how transparent he is.
-
I've played the first 5 minutes of Fable and never played it again. I've played the first 30 minutes of Fable 2 and never played it again. With luck, I might be able to play 1 hour of Fable 3... and will probably never play it again.
-
Fable III is Natal-equipped and will NOT have a HUD. (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177920)
EDIT:
A lot more on this from Kotaku. (http://kotaku.com/5469995/fable-iiis-three-big-innovations-touch-weapons-and-kingly-responsibility?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29)
-
Well, Fable III is going to be an action adventure game and not an RPG. That is stupid beyond words because I don't think Molyneux can make a game that is compelling purely because of the action it offers.
-
Well, Fable III is going to be an action adventure game and not an RPG. That is stupid beyond words because I don't think Molyneux can make a game that is compelling purely because of the action it offers.
Thanks, Pug, for pointing that out.
Here's more on that.
From Peter Molyneux's own words - this is from CVG. (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=234727)
Fable 3 isn't an RPG, says Molyneux
Friday 12-Feb-2010 4:45 PM Lionhead boss labels title an 'action adventure'
Peter Molyneux has said he no longer considers Fable an RPG series - labelling Fable III as "more like an action adventure".
The news comes after the revelation that the third iteration in the RPG series doesn't feature a health bar or HUD.
If the hero's life is in danger, the screen will inform the character by changing colour - in a similar way to Modern Warfare.
Molyneux has also scrapped the previous Fable game's expression system for a 'touch' mechanic, which allows players to hug, shake, fondle, drag and more.
"I'm not sure I even call Fable an RPG anymore," he said at X10 last night. "Certainly not a 1990s RPG, for sure.
"In a way, you could look at it and say it's like an action adventure. There's a lot of drama, there a lot of story, there's a lot of emotion in there - but with levelling up. I love that levelling up.
"I'm not the sort of person that likes being given a pre-planned character and told "this is you no matter what".
Read our full preview of Fable III from X10 - featuring commentary from Molyneux.
-
It's always pretty much been an action/adventure anyway.
-
This would so make me freakin' happy... (http://www.bluesnews.com/s/108071/pc-fable-iii)
PC Fable III?
[Mar 05, 2010, 2:19 pm ET] - 13 Comments
WorthPlaying points out a job posting for a Lionhead/Microsoft Game Studios Network Programmer that seemed to have indicated there are plans to bring Fable III to the PC and to provide cross-platform gameplay with the Xbox 360 edition of Lionhead's action/RPG sequel.
That's in the past tense because the listing no longer contains the clues they noticed, but apparently at one point the listing indicated the job: "involves converting and maintaining the network code of the Xbox 360 version of this game to the PC, and enabling the Xbox 360 version and the PC version to play together."
Big Download points to a post on Koku Gamer where they have a screenshot of the ad before alteration.
-
Molyneux at GDC '10 on Fable 3. (http://www.next-gen.biz/features/gdc-peter-molyneux-on-moving-fable-out-of-the-rpg-niche)
Your "Experience" Shows...Physically.
While the process of morphing the avatar to fit the user’s play would stay in Fable 3, Molyneux noted that players found the cause and effect confusing. “It was [a good feature], but it was very mystical and it was defined by the experience you spent. In Fable 3 we’ve got this: if you use a sword, your muscles get bigger. That simple. No more complex than that.”
Moral Choices.
Along the way, the character will also make “campaign promises” – for example, to close factories or end child labor. Players will make moral choices around these promises, and they’ll also run into practical problems as they struggle to meet all the promises they made on their way to power. “You will make a lot of promises. It will not be possible to meet all those promises.”
Reputation
In addition, players will gain or lose followers who allow them to level up. Even personal choices will affect their number of followers: for example, marrying the daughter of a mayor will make the player more popular than marrying someone from the slums.
Weapon "Morphs" As You Play
Lead designer Josh Atkins also spoke at the talk, describing the combat mechanic, where a player’s weapon morphs based on how often they use it and what they kill with it.
Going Beyond Your Horns and Horns...You'll now also get Wings.
Molyneux showcased many other details. In addition to the horns and halos seen in past games, avatars in Fable 3 will also have angel’s or devil’s wings: Molyneux showed off the large red wings that had sprouted from a hero’s back during combat.
Marrying Co-Op Players
Two-player co-op will be come back, but players will have the option of marrying a co-op character – making this an interesting game for spouses.
Story
Molyneux also discussed the story for the game. The goal of the Fable franchise is to make the player feel “powerful.” “We realized that we could sit down and do another Hero’s Journey. You’d start off the game pretty weak as a character, there would be some big baddie … [but] what if we made that Hero’s Journey the halfway point of our game?
What if we constructed a story where you started as a hero without any power at all, and what if there was this evil terrible king running Albion, and what if you went out as a rebel, took forces, and took on and overthrew that evil king – and then you became king yourself?”
-
Wait, what about Fable II PC?
-
Wait, what about Fable II PC?
Agreed - I want that to come here. I would NOT be surprised still if that does come here, actually. I still think Fable 2 PC would be the perfect vehicle for testing sales through G4WL GOD.
But, The Fable 3 PC/360 rumor is just that right now...a rumor. Take it with a grain of salt. But, I'd guess it might be true b/c Molyneux has refused to say what platforms the game's in development for. ;)
Molyneux might have that kind of pull to convince Microsoft to publish a PC game - he's a Gaming Legend, love him or hate him.
-
Regarding the rumours, a game like Fable could work well in and benefit from cross-platform play!
-
Regarding the rumours, a game like Fable could work well in and benefit from cross-platform play!
PC Gamers and X360 gamers working together over Microsoft's Live services = sounds like a great idea to me.
-
PC Gamers and X360 gamers working together over Microsoft's Live services = sounds like a great idea to me.
That really should have been a priority for Microsoft, especially considerig that most people who own a X360 would also likely own a PC.
So far I think there are only 4 games that are cross-platform, one of which is Shadowrun.
-
Molyneux talking about "episodic" plans and DLC in Fable 3. (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/15/molyneux-explores-fable-3s-episodic-potential-with-the-aid-of/)
Fable 3's Shop Network sounds like The Cerberus Network
"So we've got these things – these couple of simple things we've got in Fable 3 – which are really, really nice. The first is that some of the shops in the world of Albion are actually linked to the internet and are populated by the staff of Lionhead every so often. So they don't have to be fixed things, we can put new stuff in the world all the time. And you don't have to go out to some horrible Dashboard and download The Armageddon Pack version 5, or drive down to a retailer and wait for some big pack to come out.
Ferry To Different Islands (DLC)
"The sort of thing we're thinking of – I suppose I shouldn't tell you this but I'll tell you anyway – after you've been playing the game for awhile you'll see this ferry," Molyneux reveals. "This ferry keeps coming into Bowerstone and going away. It goes off to these islands that we've been talking about but there's no way you can buy a ticket. So one of the things that we enable online is this ticket to this ferry and actually in this ticket is the islands, so we make it feel like you've downloaded this ticket when, in matter-of-fact, you've downloaded the islands."
-
Two-player co-op will be come back, but players will have the option of marrying a co-op character – making this an interesting game for spouses.
WTF?
-
That is so weird yet kinda cool if you are playing with a spouse/girlfriend/goat.
-
Yeah, but who wants to marry their own wife again?
-
Please, please - tell me it's true; Fable 3 might also be PC-bound.
Fable 3 X360's box art at the top says "Only On XBox 360 & Windows." (http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=63804)
EDIT:
From G4TV. (http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704691/Fable-3-Box-Art-Reveals-PC-Version.html)
(http://cache.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/235162_S/Fable-3-Box-Art-Reveals-PC-Version.jpg)
-
Yeah, but who wants to marry their own wife again?
haha well put.
-
Fable 3 - Dev Diary on Interface, Funny Walks, and John Cleese. (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/29350)
-
Microsoft responds to Fable 3 for the PC rumors.
Their response: "Please stay tuned." (http://www.vg247.com/2010/05/14/please-stay-tuned-on-fable-iii-pc-says-microsoft/)
-
That's the same as not saying anything at all.
-
That's the same as not saying anything at all.
It's more hopeful than the usual flat-out "NO" answer Microsoft gives us when we ask if a X360 game is coming eventually to the PC.
-
Microsoft announces officially Fable 3 PC. (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63916)
-
Good to hear. I might pick it up but I'm still undecided. It had better have gamepad controls this time around!
-
Good to hear. I might pick it up but I'm still undecided. It had better have gamepad controls this time around!
It better support the X360 control-pad, since it will be on the X360 - it would make logical sense, if you ask me. Especially if somehow they fudge the PC keyboard/mouse controls.
Though, I thought Fable: TLC PC's keyboard/mouse controls were fine myself.
-
The KB+M controls were acceptable, actually they were pretty damn good considering how well they ported the game. t the end of the day it's a gamepad-peferred game; like Devil May Cry or Street Fighter. The aiming in Fable is minimal, even then it is assisted.
-
The KB+M controls were acceptable, actually they were pretty damn good considering how well they ported the game. t the end of the day it's a gamepad-peferred game; like Devil May Cry or Street Fighter. The aiming in Fable is minimal, even then it is assisted.
If I recall, you didn't have to use the lock-on for Fable TLC PC...
You could free-aim...
-
If I recall, you didn't have to use the lock-on for Fable TLC PC...
You could free-aim...
Yeah, you could on the Xbox too. You zoom in with the bow/crossbow and a crosshair comes up for manual aim.
-
Yeah, you could on the Xbox too. You zoom in with the bow/crossbow and a crosshair comes up for manual aim.
Well that's good.
Yeah, kinda odd the original Fable TLC PC did NOT support X360 pad...
I think any game on PC and X360 should obviously support KB/mouse and gamepad - let the gamer pick. Especially if you want console gamers to pick-up a PC copy of the game - especially when the PC version gets cheaper and older. And if the designers have to use two different UI's depending on what controls you using dictates which UI opens (Pad style UI or KB/mouse), so freakin' be it...
-
Fable 3 PC and X360 versions will be shown off by Molyneux during Brighton Developer's Conference. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fable-iii-demo-in-brighton-next-week)
-
Well that's good.
Yeah, kinda odd the original Fable TLC PC did NOT support X360 pad...
I think any game on PC and X360 should obviously support KB/mouse and gamepad - let the gamer pick. Especially if you want console gamers to pick-up a PC copy of the game - especially when the PC version gets cheaper and older. And if the designers have to use two different UI's depending on what controls you using dictates which UI opens (Pad style UI or KB/mouse), so freakin' be it...
The original Fable wasn't on the 360.
-
The original Fable wasn't on the 360.
Oh yeah....
*slaps self upside head*
Though, Fable (X-Box version) does work on the X360 now though if you bought the version w/ the HDD and have the emulator, right?
-
Poorly, but yes. Unless they've updated it in the past year or so. Loading times took forever, and there were a lot of hiccups in the emulation.
-
Poorly, but yes. Unless they've updated it in the past year or so. Loading times took forever, and there were a lot of hiccups in the emulation.
Well, that stinks that there's a handful of issues there...ugh...
EDIT - July 13, 2010:
PC Gamer - Fable 3 PC preview. (http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/13/fable-iii-preview-a-hint-of-dungeon-keeper/)
GameSpot - Fable 3 to have over 47 hours of dialogue. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6269018.html)
-
Hmmmm.... (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/56340/Preorder-Fable-III-and-Create-Your-Own-Villager)
Pre-order F3 w/ certain retailers and you'll get a Create Your Own Villager Tool in which you can put your own villager (NPC) in the game and interact w/ them and then share them w/ the Internet.
EDIT:
Joystiq's video from Lionhead w/ Create Your Own Villager Tool. (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/02/make-your-own-fable-3-npc-pre-order-to-take-it-in-game-and-far/)
EDIT 2:
Fable 3 PC Version = DELAYED.
X360 version still set for Oct. 26th. (http://pc.ign.com/articles/110/1109940p1.html)
EDIT 3 - Aug 5, 2010:
Fable 3 X360 won't support Kinect out of the box at launch. (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65014)
-
GameSpot -> Fable 3 preview from PAX. (http://pax.gamespot.com/story/6275124/fable-iii-updated-hands-on?tag=topslot;thumb;2)
-
Fable 3 - TV Trailer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INrqSon7COw&feature=player_embedded)
-
I'm still looking forward to Fable II at some point. I'm way behind. Sucks to be poor.
-
First half of Fable 2 will be some of the most joyous video gaming you'll ever experience.
The second half you will become insanely rich and the game will suffer for it.
-
For the $20-30 the game costs now, that sounds like a winner to me. Thanks!
-
I did like 2 quite a bit. I was trying to get back into it just a little while ago, but the call of Fallout 3 was just too strong. But this one was definitely a huge improvement over the first, and it's got a lot of charm and style and a fun sense of exploration.
-
More good press. Awesome! I liked the free intro chapter, when you're a kid and a bit beyond. That's from when they tried to offer it as episodes, with the first one free. I was thinking of downloading that again, but they've yanked it, and its link now points to the $20 offering in "Games on demand". Sorry, I always want a boxed disc when available.
-
1Up -> Molyneux says Fable 3 is not a trilogy. (http://www.1up.com/news/fable-series-not-necessarily-trilogy-molyneux)
Looks like there's gonna be more Fable, after F3.
-
Not surprising.
-
Shacknews -> New copies of Fable 3 X360 will contain a code for FREE DLC. (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66123)
The code provided in new copies of Fable 3 gives players:
* Raise Dead Potion, allowing players to call undead minions to your side
* Slow Time Potion, allowing players to extend battle time for attacks
* The Scot Male Hero Outfit or the Scot Female Hero Outfit
* Highlander Tattoo Set, for either a male or female character
* Red Setter Dog Skin, transforming your faithful pet to a new breed of pup
EDIT:
HookedGamers.com -> Fable 3 - PC Preview. (http://www.hookedgamers.com/pc/fable_iii/preview/article-764.html)
-
New stuff - 10-30-2010
IGN Australia -> Editorial on Fable 3 and Why It Fails. (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1130705p1.html)
Fable 3 - Review Embargo
TheSixthAxis.com -> Article on the current Fable 3 Review Embargo and other past review embargoes. (http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/10/25/this-post-is-embargoed/)
Eurogamer is giving Fable 3 for X360 a score of 8 (out of 10) - but review ain't up yet b/c of the review embargo. (http://www.eurogamer.net/game/fable-3-xbox360)
CVG -> Swedish mag Level is also giving F3 X360 a score of 8 (out of 10) - review not up b/c of the embargo. (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271000)
X360 Reviews
IGN Reviews
IGN USA -> 8.5 (out of 10). (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1130321p1.html)
IGN UK -> 8.5 (out of 10) (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1130962p1.html)
GameSpot Review - 7.5 (out of 10)
Written Review. (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/fableiii/review.html?tag=topslot;img;1)
HD Video Review. (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/fableiii/video/6283065/fable-iii-video-review?hd=1)
Other Reviews
Hardcoregamer.com -> 5 (out of 5). (http://www.hardcoregamer.com/index.php?option=com_magazine&id_rubrique=1&type=article&id_article=583)
TheSixthAxis.com -> 10 (out of 10). (http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/10/26/review-fable-iii/)
RealGamer.net -> 9.5 (out of 10). (http://www.realgamer.net/xbox360/reviews/Fable-III.html)
CVG -> 9.2 (out of 10). (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271664)
GamingTrend.com -> 91 (out of 100). (http://www.gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=1525)
GamesRadar -> 9 (out of 10). (http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/fable-iii/review/fable-iii-super-review/a-20101025171422486002/g-2009081992053919015)
TheGamingLiberty.com -> 9 (out of 10). (http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2010/10/26/fable-3-review/)
Gametactics.com -> 9 (out of 10). (http://www.gametactics.com/2010/10/fable-iii-xbox-360-review/)
Totalvideogames.com -> 9 (out of 10). (http://www.totalvideogames.com/Fable-III/review-15743.html)
G4TV.com -> 8.9 (out of 10). (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-fable-iii/706740)
1Up.com -> B+ grade (out of A+). (http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3182073&p=4)
PlanetXBox360 -> 8.7 (out of 10). (http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_12090/Fable_3_Review)
Incgamers.com -> 8.5 (out of 10). (http://www.incgamers.com/Reviews/1108/fable-3-review)
G4TV -> 4 stars (out of 5). (http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/62712/fable-iii/review/)
Escapist -> 4 stars (out of 5). (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8249-Review-Fable-3)
Joystiq -> 4 stars (out of 5). (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/26/fable-3-review/)
GamePro -> 4 stars (out of 5). (http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/217041/fable-iii/)
Eurogamer -> 8 (out of 10). (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-26-fable-iii-review)
StrategyInformer -> 8.0 (out of 10). (http://www.strategyinformer.com/xbox360/fableiii/1262/review.html)
Videogamer.com -> 8 (out of 10). (http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/fable_3/review.html)
MSXBox-World -> 8 (out of 10). (http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/reviews/review/609/Fable-III.html)
CheatCodeCentral.com -> 3.7 (out of 5). (http://cheatcc.com/xbox360/rev/fable3review.html)
Giant Bomb -> 3 stars (out of 5). (http://www.giantbomb.com/fable-iii/61-27878/reviews/)
GameSpy -> 3 stars (out of 5). (http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/fable-iii/1130494p1.html)
Shacknews - X360 Review
Part One. (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66193)
-
Very good, but not great.
Not surprised.
-
I think I can safely put this one on the back burner for a bit. I'm interested, if anything because of how much I enjoyed the first game (and most of 2). But I've still got Other M and Fallout: New Vegas to work on.
-
It seems like kind of a shame that most reviews LOVE the "Being King" part of the game, but they complain that portion is so damn short (like 2-3 hours).
I think we all know now, since we do know there will be some DLC and all, what they should do for DLC: at least add more "Being King" stuff.
EDIT:
Shacknews -> Free "Weapons Pack DLC" on XBLM released for everybody who buys Fable 3 X360. (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66177)
So, if you got XBL, check the marketplace and DL it.
THIS is NOT the Free DLC that comes bundled w/ the game.
This Weapon Pack DLC is something else that is FREE and an extra bonus.
Enjoy.
EDIT 2 -- 10-26-2010:
Lionhead Forums -> Holy crap at all the DLC released to purchase today for F3. (http://lionhead.com/forums/t/290714.aspx?PageIndex=1)
-
hahahaha oh my god... fuck IGN has really done it this time.
This is the opening paragraph of the review:
I'm just going to come right out and say it. As far as I'm concerned, Fable III is a step backwards from Fable II and a big disappointment. Both games have huge flaws, but unlike Fable II which was able to overcome its issues, leaving an experience where the whole was greater than the sum of its parts, I think Fable III is defined by its failings because the experience doesn't come together into a unified whole nearly as well. Let's break it down.
This is also the quote on the main page, and had me convinced it was going to be a scathing review.
Now here is the score:
8.5
IGN SCORE
"Great"
Can you believe it?
-
Wha? IGN is weird like that.
-
Read the whole thing X. Or at least try to. How do they get paid for this?
-
Can you link the review because the IGN review on D's list is different.
-
This is IGN Australia I think. It is on the main page.
edit:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1130705p1.html
It isn't a review. It is an 'editorial'. My bad... but the formatting and page look the same.
It is still poorly written.
-
From that IGN Australia Editorial... (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1130705p1.html)
[spoiler]
This is about accumulating money in the game...
And if you want to really sure things up, you can simply plug in a wired controller so that the game never pauses, position your player somewhere safe and leave the machine on overnight. In the morning you'll have millions in gold.
This is not cheating, it's simply using the tools the game gives you to try to find a solution to the overarching 'paradox' the game poses. And yet it negates the entire point of the endgame. You can afford to do EVERYTHING. You never have to make the 'difficult' choice. You can honour ALL your promises and still have the money required.
[/spoiler]
Oh, my - that's pretty crazy! LMAO.
-
Eurogamer -> Lionhead at work on Fable 3 patch for X360. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-01-lionhead-working-on-fable-iii-fix)
-
There's seems to be decidedly little fanfare for this game.
-
Yeah.. So far the impression seems to be that it's Fable 2 with little changes and a new story; which is fine and dandy for the PC crowd since we didn't get Fable 2.
I may check it out once it's released for PC. I'm not wildly excited but I am still curious about the story and gameplay.
-
There's seems to be decidedly little fanfare for this game.
Since the PC version is supposed to be coming next - hopefully Lionhead can iron out some issues for the PC version.
-
Ironing out issues is fixing bugs. Fixing fundamental design issues is making another game.
I wouldn't hold my breath for either.
-
Don't you worry, MyD. I'll hold Sy's breath until Lionhead fixes Fable III.
Sy, I hope your sacrifice will appease the Gods of Gaming.
-
Sy only sacrifices to appease the Great Unclean One.
-
1Up -> Fable 3 PC - Gameplay footage from CES 2011. (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/32565)
Joystiq -> Fable 3 PC is playable at CES 2011. (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/06/fable-3-pc-playable-at-microsofts-ces-booth-release-date-still/)
-
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2652-Fable-3
One of the better Zero Punctuation reviews that I've seen lately.
-
Haha, yeah, that was actually pretty great. And definitely does not make me want to go play Fable III.
-
It makes me definitely NOT want to go play it (which is what you said, only more emphatic--damn, I'm tired . . .).
-
I'd still play it, even if just to find and agree with Yahtzee's points.
Would I pay for it? Totally different question. I'll play it at a friend's place or check out a demo before I consider a purchase.
-
Eurogamer -> NEW Fable 3 - Traitor's Keep DLC announced; Fable 3 PC coming on May 17th 2011 in USA and May 19th in Europe. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-24-new-fable-iii-dlc-announced)
Shacknews -> Fable 3 PC to support Nvidia 3D Vision and will have a "hardcore mode". (http://www.shacknews.com/article/67625/fable-3-rises-to-power)
Traitor's Keep DLC
The blog post also revealed that a new set of downloadable content will arrive for the Xbox 360 version of the RPG. "Traitor's Keep" launches on March 1 for 560MS Points ($7), and adds three new levels: Ravenscar Keep, Clockwork Island, and the Godwin Estate. The DLC includes new quests, characters, and 250 GamerScore points.
-
IGN -> Fable III PC - System Requirements. (http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1158509p1.html)
The minimum requirements are:
Operating System: XP 32 SP3, Vista 32/64 , Win 7 32/64
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz or AMD Athlon X2 4000+
Memory: 2GB
Hard Drive Space: 12 GB of free space
Graphics Hardware: NVidia 7600GT or ATI HD 2600 Pro
DirectX: 9.0c onward
Network: Internet or LAN connection required for multiplayer
The recommended system requirements are:
Operating System: Win 7
CPU: Intel Pentium 2.9Ghz Core 2 Duo or higher
Memory: 4GB
Hard Drive Space: 12 GB of free space
Graphics Hardware: Nvidia 260GTX 896MB or ATI 5770 1GB or higher
DirectX: 9.0c onward
Network: Internet or LAN connection required for multiplayer
-
RPS -> Interview w/ Lionhead on Fable 3 PC and G4WL. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/13/interview-lionhead-on-fable-iii-pc-and-gfwl/)
-
Fable 3 PC will also be sold on STEAM. (http://www.bluesnews.com/a/2294/fable-iii-for-windows-to-be-available-via-steam-at-launch)
Yes, you are reading that correctly...
Steam -> Fable 3 PC - Store Page. (http://store.steampowered.com/app/6720/)
-
IGN -> Fable 3 PC = 6.0 (out of 10). (http://pc.ign.com/articles/116/1168275p1.html)
Ouch.
-
Damn, that's disappointing. On the bright side I have The Witcher 2 ;D
-
Damn, that's disappointing.
Agreed.
On the bright side I have The Witcher 2 ;D
I'm left-handed - I want more key remapping allowed for TW2. Then I"ll be happy.
-
A whole bunch of F3 PC reviews linked on Voodoo Extreme. (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/60386/Fable-III-PC-Review-Roundup)
-
MyD's Impressions on Fable 3 PC
Intro
So far, it's hard to say what I really think of the game. Some of it is bloody brilliant. Some of it, not-so-much.
I obviously need more time w/ it - having only 5 hours w/ it, so far.
The game really was an excellent and hilarious intro video. Right after that, it also does a great job in the opening moments of setting up the upcoming war b/t you [you can be either a Prince or Princess - take your pick] and your brother Logan, which eventually will start the world rebelling against Logan.
LONG-WINDED Tutorial
The game really does TOO much of a job of holding your hand in the Tutorial. Seriously, the Tutorial feels VERY LONG-winded - and is the first few hours of the game, making Tutorials like The Witcher and Two Worlds 2 offered up looking SHORT! As in the first few hours, it spends TOO much teaching you things that are...well, obviously easy to learn. The game feels like it doesn't throw very much for emotes and other things, veryearly on - it just feels like the game is getting going, in the last hour or so that I spent with it. Must give it more time to see how much more this game has to offer on the emotes.
Traditional UI = Pretty Much GONE
There's a traditional menu for other under-the-hood stuff, if you hit P key on the KB/mouse - for switching out Game Setting [technical graphics settings; sound settings; control settings; game settings; etc], Game Management, and all of that stuff. But, really - that's about it!
There's some different things going on here for UI. Don't expect typical game menus and UI for Inventory management, Skill management, and all of that jazz. Throw that stuff completely out the window. Everything is put on a in-game "map" of some kind. You hit the ESC key to access your Sanctuary. That's right - your UI for switching your weapons, armor, inventory, looking at Achievement, Room w/ all your Saved Games, Room w/ All your DLC and extra content, Wall w/ Options, etc - is an actual in-game map of a house, which is your Sanctuary.
For skill-upgrading and learning new skills, that's the Road of Rule. It's a big corridor that unlocks more and more of this linear road littered w/ more chests, after each main quest you finish. Finish a major main quest plot-line, you unlock the next Level of upgrades. The chests are filled w/ your next level of upgrades for skills and new skill abilities. You need a certain amount of points from doing quests, side quests, and things in-game - to be able to spend these points on upgrades.
For a map, you get a 3D map of the game area, all zoomed-out, showing what's happening in the gameworld w/ important NPC's. You can literally Fast Travel through the map, as well. To make a quest active [side or main], you do it through here - as the quests are shown what area you select to do a quest in. You can Fast Travel through here, if you do choose to.
All this UI removal stuff w/ in-game maps = brilliant. WAY better than I expected.
Combat
Now, I've been using the KB/mouse. And the combat and controls are MUCH improved over the original Fable. Combat feels REALLY good - even w/ the KB/mouse. Switching b/t melee, magic, and ranged is seamless, as each has their own keystroke. You can literally combo b/t different attacks w/ different weapons VERY easily - and this is a lot of the fun of the combat.
Questing
Seemed like early on, there were a lot of fetch Action-RPG quests - b/c the game was not tossing at you unique side quests. Pretty much, seems like any NPC might be able to give you one of these kinds of quests - i.e. go see someone in another city; give a package to a friend in another area; do certain emote w/ so-and-so; etc etc.
Now, further on, it seems like there's also some tailor-made unique side-quests w/ more to them then a simple fetch-quest that can be done - i.e. the guy w/ all the dwarfs, his quest is hilarious...especially the end-result. Main quest stuff has been unique and been pretty good, when I've been actually doing them...
Performance
1920x1080 w/ everything maxed-out, the game look good technically, great artistically [I love the art direction], and it runs great on my rig w/ no slow-downs or anything [i7 950, GF 560 Ti, 8 GB RAM, Win 7 Home]. No problems or anything here. (shrug)
So, that's it for now - my first few hours w/ this game. Must keep playing...
-
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. My suggestion would be not to obsess too much over collect-a-thons. Stick to the meat of the game, and I think you will like it.
The sanctuary (menu rooms) is interesting, but it gets old. John Cleese voicing your helper in there does make it more interesting. He's great. On the 360, I can use the D-pad to quick-select any of the rooms. I hope the PC version has something similar.
-
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. My suggestion would be not to obsess too much over collect-a-thons. Stick to the meat of the game, and I think you will like it.
The sanctuary (menu rooms) is interesting, but it gets old. John Cleese voicing your helper in there does make it more interesting. He's great. On the 360, I can use the D-pad to quick-select any of the rooms. I hope the PC version has something similar.
The function keys are for quick room-jumping in PC version w/ KB/mouse.
Also - PC version does support 360 controller.
It really seems like this game gets better and better as it goes along. It kinda is a shame the tutorial feels so LONG.
I wonder how many quit, before they even kind of got out of that. Game picks up, once you hit the Dweller town w/ Walter and start trying to get allies.