Overwritten.net
Games => General Gaming => Topic started by: idolminds on Thursday, May 13, 2010, 08:37:02 AM
-
Looks awesome. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb9ObWlNrg8)
You buy other games for story and meaning. You buy this game to blow shit up and kick people into the air for combo points.
-
looks aaaaaawesoooome.
-
With People Can Fly, we trust them for kick-ass FPS's to just gold old-school and blow shit up.
SOLD.
-
That trailer makes me want to kick stuff.
-
Gamespot's First Look at Bulletstorm (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/untitledpeoplecanflyproject/news.html?sid=6262345&tag=topslot;thumb;2&mode=previews).
-
Oh, hell yesssssssss.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_3OZuDnIlc)
-
Oh my god, that looks pretty good. That's the first footage I've seen.
It literally looks like Unreal Tournament mated with Painkiller and had a baby.
-
Youtube -> Bulletstorm - NSFW Dev Diary on Story + Character. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5570f7HnX0)
-
Man I really want to play this game but I think I might turn the sound off when I do.
-
I had to turn that off half-way. I didn't see much of the gameplay, just the cutscenes.
-
The demo is now up on Xbox Live. It's probably up on PSN too.
For Xbox users, you need Gold to DL it, even though it's a single player demo. What I did (since I don't have Gold atm) was start a new account/gamertag, which gets a free month of Gold. I'm downloading it, and I think that will let me play it even if I'm logged into my main account. I tried a 48 hour Gold trial, but that only allows access to play online I guess, not to download exclusive stuff.
-
Nice trick. Hope it works. I'm downloading it now. Thanks for letting me know.
-
No PC demo, 360 demo is limited to Gold subscribers only...lets hope the PSN one is open to everyone or this is a fail of a demo launch.
Still, I want to try it.
-
That was fun, though short. Coming in from Borderlands, the control scheme and display felt perfect. LT aims, bringing the gun sights to the middle. RT shoots. Y swaps weapons. Even the revolver you can choose made me feel at home. The only tricky part is that A runs/clambers over. I'm used to LS clicking for that, and that crouches here (and it's not a toggle, which sucks). [Edit: Crouch toggle can be enabled in the options, so never mind.]
It's well done technically, running smoothly, without hitches. It looks pretty too. The leash thing is nice, letting you grab enemies and float them, drag them to you, or smash them down (sometimes--I don't quite understand this technique yet). Not getting shot for a while restores health, pretty standard anymore.
I'll be keeping an eye on this one. Looks like good fun.
-
For PS3 users:
@Bulletstorm: Bulletstorm should be on PSN between 4-8 PM in your time zone.
-
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/08/bulletstorm-worst-game-kids/#content
I'm guessing with the way Bulletstorm has been promoted, they're actually ecstatic about this coverage.
-
I could careless what Fox News thinks about Bulletstorm - they're not a gaming publication the likes of say G4TV, GameSpot, GameSpy, IGN, Giant Bomb, etc.
For all I know, Cliffy B, John Brandon, and Bill O'Reilly could all be secretly best friends and set-up this ploy to get Bulletstorm some more attention and sale. :P
-
RPS points out Foxs selective editing (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/09/churnalism-fox-news-selective-quoting/)
Fox asked for input from a columnist on GameIndustry.biz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-02-10-fox-ignored-bulletstorm-balancing-arguments), and promptly ignored all of it because it wasn't negative. I'll post that article below so you dont have to sign up. Spoiler tagged because its kinda long.
[spoiler]Following the treatment of Electronic Arts' violent shooter Bulletstorm by US media outlet Fox News on Tuesday, GamesIndustry.biz has learned that material which was asked for and provided that would have helped to balance the story was instead ignored in favour of an anti-games agenda.
Analyst Scott Steinberg, CEO of TechSavvy Global and monthly columnist on GamesIndustry.biz was approached for views in the build-up to the story, and provided context on the game's violence and sexual innuendo.
But while brief comments were included from the ECA's Hal Halpin, the thrust of the story remained unchanged, and Steinberg's input was left out completely. Among the questions asked (prefaced by the phrase "I will admit that some of these are intended to get the thinking going"), and answers provided, were:
"Question: Do you think the game goes too far, why or why not?"
"Answer: No - because it's an unapologetically and straightforwardly satirical game meant for discerning adults that's written in the vernacular of the times and speaks in a cultural context that's the same as that its target audience has long been indoctrinated in by mainstream media and pop culture.
"From Saw to South Park, look at what passes for modern entertainment at the movies or on basic cable, let alone on the Internet - this isn't the first blockbuster (or big-budget game, for that matter) to aim below the belt or slather on the salty language. Yes, it's shameless, but also knowingly so, because it actively aims to parody much of both the gaming field and larger cultural zeitgeist's more asinine elements.
"The designers make no secret of their intentions, or to whom the title caters - The Oregon Trail, this isn't. The giant M for Mature rating on the front of the box says it all: Only discerning adults need apply."
"Question: Is the only answer found in better parenting (telling your own kids they can't play the game) and ratings boards? Or is there something else that should be done?"
"Answer: The answer, as ever, lies in education: Being acutely aware of what and how your children play, and the manner in which they do so, which requires maintaining an open-minded perspective and taking the time to spend time with your kids, their games and the systems which play these titles.
"A multitude of resources exist from the ESRB to WhatTheyPlay, FamilyFriendlyVideoGames.com and Common Sense Media, as well as leading review websites such as IGN, GameSpot and 1up, which can help provide more info on today's top titles, trends and topics.
"Not only can all help provide insight into children's interests, motivations and the manner in which they consume game content, but the context needed to help steer them towards other, more appropriate titles which might better fit their age range or pique their interest. As with movies, albums and books featuring explicit content, you can help steer kids towards more viable substitutes that are equally compelling for healthier or more constructive reasons."
"Question: Is Bulletstorm one of the more egregious examples are are there a lot of other more violent games?"
"Answer: Like comic books, rock-and-roll and film, videogames have long been subject to vilification for their subject matter due to popular misconceptions that they're meant for children, when in fact the average player is actually a mature, discerning adult in their mid-30s.
"Accordingly, there's been a long and storied range of titles featuring graphic and violent content (among other, more mundane subjects and fanciful topics) that speaks to this audience, just as there have been a long and storied range of films and TV shows (see: The Godfather, The Sopranos, every horror movie stocking movie store rental shelves since the '70s, etc.) that speak to moviegoers with more adult tastes.
"From Postal to Grand Theft Auto III to Scarface: The World is Yours, you could cite a grand history of supposedly 'egregious' games dating back to the halcyon days of early arcade and computing hits such as Death Race and Leisure Suit Larry. But the reality is that the vast majority of all games produced are perfectly suitable for children and adolescents.
"BulletStorm just happens to be one of many examples that fall into the category of games for mature audiences, but it's hardly among the more head-turning ones, as those who've played previous outings such as human prey simulator Manhunt 2 can attest."
While EA robustly defended the content in Bulletstorm yesterday, but this new content that was passed over will prompt some to ask further questions on the methodology used in some mainstream reporting and representations of the videogames industry. [/spoiler]
“The increase in rapes can be attributed in large part to the playing out of [sexual] scenes in video games,” she said.
Also note that from what I could find, rape (and violent crime in general) has been dropping for the last 20 years. Not sure where this supposed increase that they claim is from.
-
My mom was telling me about something similar to this today. She said that Microsoft had made a porn game for Kinect, and is trying to sell it to kids. There's a naked woman on screen and you could interact with her and fondle her by moving your own hands.
What was the REAL story?
Someone took a hacked Kinect Sensor, connected it to their PC, and wrote program to work with it. It had a poorly rendered naked woman, and holding your hand up and moving side to side would allow you to rotate the camera side to side. That's it.
The news report she showed me made it sound like Microsoft was using a kid's toy to sell porn, and my mom believed it, and was appalled by it.
-
Wired on the Fox News "story" (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/02/rape-videogames-carole-lieberman/)
I debated on whether "story" or "news" should be in quotes.
-
Tried the demo for PS3. Seems really fun, but something I'd far rather play on PC.
-
I saw an action figure for the main character in Toys R Us today. Very kid friendly.
-
Man, that "controversy" just gets more interesting. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/15/bulletstormgate-lieberman-offers-evidence/)
-
I'm just sitting here reading stuff and all of a sudden a little window pops up in the corner of the screen. Its from Impulse, and Bulletstorm is ready for pre-orders. After the horrible news about DNF, that little window made me very happy.
-
Fox News bullshit continues. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/21/bulletstorm-gate-fox-news-responds/)
Also its been announced that there will in fact be a PC demo, but only after the game is already out.
-
Also its been announced that there will in fact be a PC demo, but only after the game is already out.
Yup - I mentioned that in the "Red Barrels" thread. (http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=7453.msg98964#msg98964)
Why do we have two Bulletstorm threads going, BTW? :o
Can we get a merge?
-
Well I never meant for the red barrels thread to be about Bulletstorm specifically, but about our own gamer conditioning (red barrels explode, break boxes because stuff is inside, hit every switch you see).
-
Well I never meant for the red barrels thread to be about Bulletstorm specifically, but about our own gamer conditioning (red barrels explode, break boxes because stuff is inside, hit every switch you see).
Ahhhh...I see now...now, when it's a lil' too late...
*facepalm*
-
I couldn't hold off, I had to order it. 99 cent release day delivery and $20 promotional credit made me do it. So even though I ordered it just now, I'll get it tomorrow, and have $20 to put toward Crysis 2 (or whatever game I get next).
-
So I had been ignoring this game but I saw a commercial for it yesterday. Holy shit! It looks awesome!
-
I couldn't hold off, I had to order it. 99 cent release day delivery and $20 promotional credit made me do it. So even though I ordered it just now, I'll get it tomorrow, and have $20 to put toward Crysis 2 (or whatever game I get next).
Yeah, I jumped on that deal too. Amazon is awesome.
-
G4 has some amazing promo videos up for the game, featuring R. Lee Ermey and Brian Posehn. They're parodies of Full Metal Jacket featuring Bulletstorm weapons.
FYI, there's some really foul language in here, so don't watch at work/around the kiddies unless you're using headphones.
Offensive Maneuvers parts 1 and 2 (http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/710578/Bulletstorm-Full-Metal-Jacket-Parody-Video-With-R-Lee-Ermey-And-Brian-Posehn-.html)
Weapons of Bulletstorm (http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/710579/Bulletstorm-Weapons-Explained-By-R-Lee-Ermey----Bouncer-Cannon-Peacemaker-Carbine-And-Boneduster.html)
EDIT: No really, he uses the phrase "murder boner".
-
NOOOOO!
February 22, 2011 02:20:00 AM Louisville KY US Delay in delivery due to weather or natural disaster
February 21, 2011 10:21:00 PM Linthicum MD US Departure Scan
February 21, 2011 09:35:00 PM Linthicum MD US Arrival Scan
February 21, 2011 08:56:00 PM Laurel MD US Departure Scan
February 21, 2011 07:50:00 PM Laurel MD US Shipment received by carrier
February 21, 2011 06:19:36 PM US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit
-
Haha, I'll be damned if that doesn't suck. Godspeed, little package of murder. May you find your way soon.
-
Well, now it says this:
3:39:00 AM Louisville KY US Arrival Scan
And it still says it'll be delivered tomorrow. So hopefully it's still on track for delivery tomorrow.
-
I was just watching this stream of Anarchy mode (http://www.justin.tv/absoluda#/w/892603872/2).
Basically it's like horde mode but instead of just surviving a wave, you have X number of enemies to kill, and you have to get a high enough score to pass that wave. If you don't get enough points, you do that wave over. You seem to get more points when you work together for skillshots (like one guy kicks someone in the air and then someone else blows his head off). Also some enemies will say team challege, with a skillshot type. So for voodoo doll, you have to throw him into spikes. But because it's a team challenge, you need one guy to kick/whipe/slide into him to get him airborne, then have someone else kick him into some spikes.
Very similar to horde mode, but with way more cooperation. Looks very fun and satisfying.
-
DLC announced. (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/67596)
The SAME day the game is released. This shit is getting so tiring.
-
Agreed.
-
DLC announced. (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/67596)
The SAME day the game is released. This shit is getting so tiring.
How annoying.
-
Didn't get the game today. Damnit. According to tracking it left Louisville about 2 hours ago. So it sat in one place for 13 hours, and weather.com has no indication of bad weather there, nor did it last night.
At least the overnight delivery was only 99 cents. I'd be pissed if I had payed normal overnight price.
-
So I've put a few hours into it now and its awesome. A word to anyone playing this though, when you get the Act 3, Chapter 2 "A Dam Fine Mess", there is a fucking annoying glitch that may happen to you that won't let you finish the level. You'll have two NPCs with you at the beginning of the chapter and if both of them aren't with you at a certain point the game glitches out, so make sure both of them are with you at all times. What happened to me was that one of the NPCs wigged out and stayed way back at the beginning of the chapter and didn't come with me causing this problem and I had to restart the chapter per the advice of other people this has happened to on both the PS3 and X360 versions. Other than that annoying glitch, the game has been great.
-
Is the PC version out at the same time?
-
So I've put a few hours into it now and its awesome. A word to anyone playing this though, when you get the Act 3, Chapter 2 "A Dam Fine Mess", there is a fucking annoying glitch that may happen to you that won't let you finish the level. You'll have two NPCs with you at the beginning of the chapter and if both of them aren't with you at a certain point the game glitches out, so make sure both of them are with you at all times. What happened to me was that one of the NPCs wigged out and stayed way back at the beginning of the chapter and didn't come with me causing this problem and I had to restart the chapter per the advice of other people this has happened to on both the PS3 and X360 versions. Other than that annoying glitch, the game has been great.
Yes, but I've heard that there may be issues with the game and Nvidia 4 series cards. One guy was actually thinking it was somehow locked at 30 FPS.
-
I just finished up the campaign and damn was it awesome. I was wanting to jump into the multiplayer but I keep getting booted out when I try to for some reason. Probably for the best though, I've been playing since about 1PM Tuesday afternoon with only a couple of breaks to eat something.
-
Ars Technica -> How To Make Bulletstorm PC more like your usual PC game. (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/02/bulletstorm-and-you-how-to-get-it-playing-nice-with-your-pc.ars)
Ars Technica -> Bulletstorm PC = an "unfriendly mess, but it's fixable". (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/02/bulletstorm-on-pcs-isnt-friendly-to-high-level-users.ars)
Bulletstorm is getting great reviews on the consoles, but how does the PC version run? We gave it a download on Steam to check things out, and things are... weird. The game has a number of issues on our favorite platform, but it remains a fun—and violent—way to spend an afternoon.
The first thing I tend to do when playing first-person shooters is to adjust the field of view for my widescreen monitor, but when I tried this on Bulletstorm I noticed that instead of the standard text you'd expect in the configuration files, there are large blocks of... gibberish. The .ini files are very weakly encrypted—you can already find tools to get to the text itself—and the whole thing was more of a pain in the butt than an impediment to playing the way I wanted to. Once I could edit the files, I found that the framerate was locked to a maximum of 62fps. Apparently those of you with higher end machines don't need to actually use them, right?
The game likewise doesn't give you many options in adjusting the graphics from within the game, but the obfuscated .ini file will give you plenty to work with if you're willing to tinker. Don't worry about learning console commands, since there is no console. Wonderful.
The game requires the use of Games for Windows Live, even if purchased through Steam, which is a pain in the butt. No more needs to be said. Aim assist is turned on by default, so if you don't want training wheels, you'll want to remove that right away.
The menus are all navigated with key presses, not your mouse, which is another area of annoyance. The framerate can be a problem, but again, feel free to dig around in the settings to find options that work for you. The various unofficial forums online have great advice for different video card set-ups. Don't look for critical thoughts on the PC version on the official site, however, as those are getting locked.
All this being said, once you get access to the .ini files to edit your graphical settings and get the game running well, it looks and feels great on the PC. EA and Epic tried to keep us from having access to the game's higher level settings, and that's annoying, but it's also easy to get around. If you've played the PC version of the game, what do you think so far?
-
Nod to Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame in Bulletstorm:
His legendary review of the company's earlier title Painkiller, in which he theorizes that the only way the gun that shoots shurikens and lightning could be more awesome was "if it had tits and was on fire" increased Amazon sales of the game by a staggering 7403 percent. (Nope, not a typo.)
People Can Fly wanted to show Yahtzee some appreciation and figured there was really no better way than by making one of Bulletstorm's guns even more awesome. The result, which you see pictured above, is an unlockable skin that bedecks the PMC with, what else? Tits and fire. (Yes, this is for real.)
(http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/47/47869.jpg)
Source (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.266620-Bulletstorm-Dev-Honors-Yahtzee-With-Priceless-Gift)
-
heh, thats awesome.
The encrypted ini and other assorted obvious console port bullshit is less awesome.
-
They encrypted the INI file? Why?
-
They encrypted the INI file? Why?
I'm betting Cliffy B did it... ;)
-
Thats a good question, scott. I'm trying to think of a good reason to encrypt a configuration file...and I haven't been able to come up with anything. Can't even say "Well, for the console..." because no one is going to be editing that shit there, anyway.
-
They encrypted the INI file? Why?
Yeah, this.
-
So you need points for ammo and upgrades, but you have to kill well to get lots of points. I just did the section from the demo and got WAY more points than I have been on most sections so far. so once I've beat the game and played some of the echo challenges, I'll bet further playthroughs will be better just from a gameplay point of view, even though I will have seen all the story and bosses already. I'll know where I can go for certain killshots for more points.
Though it did bug me that in the demo you had the charge shot for the flailgun, but at that point in the game it's telling me "will be available in a later dropkit."
-
I was thinking about getting this on PC but I think the combo stuff would work better on a controller.
-
I was thinking about getting this on PC but I think the combo stuff would work better on a controller.
Well, the combo stuff is really just using multiple effects/weapons on an enemy. On the Xbox, you're just shooting with the right trigger, and charging up your alternate fire with the right bumper. The leash is on the left bumper. It's really not button combos like with a fighting game.
So like I could light some guys on fire with a flare, then leash them up in the air along with a barrel, and shoot the barrel. That would get me afterburner, enviro-mental, and gangbang, for each of the enemies.
Or I could kick a hot dog cart into some guys and shoot it. Not sure if that gives enviro-mental, but it gives sausage-fest.
-
Or I could kick a hot dog cart into some guys and shoot it. Not sure if that gives enviro-mental, but it gives sausage-fest.
No, it doesn't give Enviro-Mental but it does give Fast Food if you just kick it into them without blowing it up.
-
Its the story that keeps on giving! (http://blogs.forbes.com/kashmirhill/2011/03/01/video-gamers-offended-by-rape-claim-drop-an-amazon-bomb/)
The lady that makes up bullshit is mad others are making up bullshit.
“It’s devastating,” says Lieberman. “The reviews have nothing to do with the quality of the book. They just don’t like me.”
---
“Amazon needs to take more responsibility for this,” says Lieberman. “They shouldn’t let people write reviews unless they’ve purchased the book.”
I like this part:
It’s a balance between freedom of speech (of the reviewers) and Lieberman’s right to fair reviews (as well as her right to say stupid things to Fox News).
Since when is that shit a right?
-
Does the Thumper work like a charge shot? Because it seems that sometimes when I leash a mofo and hold down the button, nothing happens. Strange.
-
Does the Thumper work like a charge shot? Because it seems that sometimes when I leash a mofo and hold down the button, nothing happens. Strange.
Yes, it's ammo works exactly like a charge shot for any of the guns.
-
I'm enjoying it so far!
The Thumber has limited ammo which you have to buy like the charged shots. You won't need to push the charged shot button.
Favourite kill so far? Drill into the ceiling!!
-
Amazon -> Bulletstorm for all platforms (Retail PC, PC Download, PS3, X360) is currently $40. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003H0CC2O/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20)
Remember - after $25 gets you FREE saver shipping on orders directly w/ Amazon.
-
Evil Avatar -> Bulletstorm's sale numbers...so far. (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138927)
279,000 units on PS3 and X360 combined, so far...
I wonder what the PC numbers are like...
-
Evil Avatar -> Bulletstorm's sale numbers...so far. (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138927)
279,000 units on PS3 and X360 combined, so far...
I wonder what the PC numbers are like...
WTF. It should have done way better.
-
Yea that is underwhelming. I haven't bought the game myself, just sort of waiting for another deal as I finish off some other games. I really like People Can Fly, I really hope they can stick around but who can tell at this point.
-
It's kinda late for a Bulletstorm PC Demo to be released, isn't it? (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1995284#post1995284)
:o
-
Not when your game sells like shit relative to to production costs and you need to attract customers.
-
I thought it looked cool on commercials. The poor sales made me sad, so I decided to see if I could help them out by buying it on PC. WTF. It is still $60.00 on Impulse. You think they would do a sale to try to get more people to buy it.
Edit: ...and Steam.
-
Also note that on all online platforms the game is restricted to USA and Canada. I can't purchase it Steam, Impulse, D2D, or anything! That may have contributed to cutting the sales.
Impulse has always been bitchy about region restrictions but I'm surprised by Steam.
-
I don't know how representative I am of the general state of gaming. My position is that I can no longer afford to buy everything that looks good when it first comes out, so I have this long backlog. I'm holding firm at the $20-30 price range on full, reasonably lengthy games, less on short games (which to me means less than a dozen hours or so). I will jump on the titles which will keep me happy for weeks or months first. There are so few of those, but as I said, backlog. Bulletstorm looks like a great $20 game to me. I will never buy it for significantly more than that.
-
I'm the same as you Cobra. I'm perfectly happy waiting a few months and picking up a game for $30 or so. Frankly, I'm amazed to see Bulletstorm sitting at $60 on the PC online services after such disappointing sales numbers. If it only sold 250,000 on consoles, what do you think it did on PCs?
-
Yeah, that's baffled me too. But that one is going to drop and fast. I do want the game, but like Cobra, that's going to be a $20 game or thereabouts.
-
EpicGames.com -> Bulletstorm's Original Soundtrack released for FREE download. Enjoy! (http://epicgames.com/community/2011/04/fan-freebies-get-the-bulletstorm-soundtrack/)
They call it a blood symphony for a reason. If you love Bulletstorm like we do, you’ll have noticed the awesome soundtrack. And since our fans are pretty much the best in the whole universe — space pirates included — we thought we’d provide a free download of the Bulletstorm soundtrack in all its glory.
That’s right. Free. No skillshots required. You’re welcome.
-
Nice, I'll snag that!
-
Nice, I'll snag that!
I knew Que would like that.
All games should do what Epic [and some other companies] have done before - just give away the Soundtrack. :)
-
Been playing this past few days. Just finished it up. Holy crap - this game itself was all kinds of awesome, despite the anti-climatic ending.
-
Apparently this has finally hit the $20 level. I picked it up on PS3 on sale at Best Buy (though it didn't ring up that way, so the sale may be officially over), and it was still listed at $30 for 360... but idol snooped around and says $20 for PC as well, according to Google. So I dunno'. I should have grabbed PC but I assumed it was just a PS3 sale since 360 was still at $30.
-
Apparently this has finally hit the $20 level. I picked it up on PS3 on sale at Best Buy (though it didn't ring up that way, so the sale may be officially over), and it was still listed at $30 for 360... but idol snooped around and says $20 for PC as well, according to Google. So I dunno'. I should have grabbed PC but I assumed it was just a PS3 sale since 360 was still at $30.
I bought it for $13 or so for PC download, some time ago.
Worth every damn penny.
-
Yeah, but I don't like downloads. I almost bit on one of those but meh. I like real copies.
But yeah, worth every penny. I've put in a couple hours and I absolutely love it. I have no idea why this game didn't do better. It's fun as all hell, and hilariously stupid in an endearingly self-conscious way.
-
Bulletstorm was a lot of fun while it lasted! Singleplayer and multiplayer had their charms. I guess the original $60 price tag dissuaded a lot of players from jumping on it. The reputation of the PC version being a shoddy port didn't help either.
The game did feel very console-oriented, especially with the mouse+keyboard controls being awkward. With a little tweaking I was able to adjust the settings to be a bit more PC-savvy (disabled mouse-smoothing etc.).
-
Yeah. I mean, I get that it's fairly short, but so are a lot of games, and while this may not have been the best $60 title, it would still make a great $40 one. No question that I'd have paid double what I did for it. I can actually see myself going back through this to try and get all the little skillshots I may have missed. Fun!
I did have one moment of frustration where I couldn't kill some gyrocopters with a specific weapon (I won't ruin the surprise of the weapon for those who haven't played it). They just resisted sustained fire. Took me forever to figure out that if I just stopped firing and did short bursts, the initial shots would take them down. Completely a bug, and a lame one, but other than that everything's been smooth sailing. I get that it's kind of a consoley thing, but it's nice to see a shooter really cater to the strengths of a console. The arcadey nature of it is great, and this is one instance where I really don't think I'd care much which version I was playing.
-
I just picked this up on PC since it was indeed $20. After the install the shadows were messed up and it looked rather...bland. Even after setting everything to max. Did a little digging and apparently one of the ini files is stupid if you have a card it doesnt specifically mention to set default settings. Someone posted a "fixed" ini file and...holy shit, night and day difference. Might have to drop some details back because it can hitch when things get really busy.
Also, every game needs a kick button. So satisfying.
-
I do remember it being super satisfying. Great game.
-
Yeah, I'm having a blast. And its very very pretty (once you fix the stupid ini thing I mentioned). But its just a lot of fun and the skillshots are like achievements blended well into the game itself. You don't have to get them, but you want to. I'm launching dudes into the air and switching to the sniper rifle just to get them. Normally in a FPS you go for efficiency, here you go for style. And kicking dudes Never. Gets. Old.
-
I beat the game a day or two ago. Fun game, like Que I'm kind of surprised it didn't do better (at least after the price dropped).
One thing I didn't like was the use of climbing over things and grabbing things. Like, they never felt consistent with me. Maybe it was my control configuration. I had middle mouse button for reload/use and End for sprint/mantle. Some things required one, some the other and I always hit the wrong button first.
Some of that mantling stuff was annoying too. Crawl through a vent and its like 3 feet to the floor and in any other game you just come out and drop. But no, they wanted to do a fancy first person animation so you have to "use" the edge of the vent to crawl out. I thought that was dumb as hell. And the left-right-left thing when crawling across stuff was also kinda lame. You earned points for the timing but I kick some fucker into a cactus and there, I've made twice as many points. Just didnt add anything to the game.
But thats just me picking nits. Leash some guy towards you, sticking a bomb to his head, then kicking him back to his friends for detonation was great fun.