Overwritten.net
Games => General Gaming => Topic started by: MysterD on Friday, June 17, 2011, 01:41:08 PM
-
Id's tossing around ideas to eventually do a Quake 1 Reboot w/ the strange Cthulhu-style and setting shooter mash-up, after they are done w/ Rage and Doom 4. (http://www.bluesnews.com/s/122832/quake-reboot-possible)
We've seen plenty of Strogg w/ Quake 2 and 4. I think this would be a nice change of pace - to bring back the original style and setting.
What cha think?
-
We were discussing this a little... yeah, I'd absolutely love to see them return to that. Quake still has a favorite setting of mine. I never cared so much for the Strogg stuff. I loved the gothic feel of the first.
-
Yeah I totally want a return to the Q1 universe. That was awesome.
-
You know, I'm wondering why Id has not been using the Quake 1 Universe here and there over the years...
You'd figure they'd have switched off b/t Gothic-Quake and Strogg-Quake universe, here and there.
Or, hell - even split the brands in two.
-
So many old games I haven't bothered to reinstall since my system-drive crash. GL Quake is one of them.
-
Not really, t's going to be just as insignificant as Quake 4, etc. Graphics good, plot/story boring.
-
Seems the appropriate place for this...
If Quake 1 was made TODAY. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W1ZtBCpo0eU)
-
Not really, t's going to be just as insignificant as Rage, etc. Graphics good, plot/story boring.
-
I used to be all about remakes and reboots, but ultimately I think classics should just stay the way the are. Remakes or reboots generally don't replicate the magic.
-
I don't read this as a remake of Quake 1, but a return to it's style. Just like Quake 4 wasn't a reboot of Quake 2, but a return to the same style. If they make another Quake game, hell yes I'd rather have the style of Q1.
-
I got the impression that the Serious Sam series was basically Croteam's rendition of Quake-style gameplay. Although the parts of Quake that I liked were the eerie, quiet parts.
-
I got the impression that the Serious Sam series was basically Croteam's rendition of Quake-style gameplay. Although the parts of Quake that I liked were the eerie, quiet parts.
Except Quake and Doom had thought put into their level design. They were complex puzzles with lots of stuff to kill. Serious Sam is just a fairly linear string of giant rooms with tons of enemies spawning and running at you. I like Serious Sam, but it doesn't hold a candle to Quake and Doom.
-
I don't read this as a remake of Quake 1, but a return to it's style. Just like Quake 4 wasn't a reboot of Quake 2, but a return to the same style. If they make another Quake game, hell yes I'd rather have the style of Q1.
While I do like Quake 2, 3, and 4's sci-fi style, I think it's been too long since we had Quake 1's style.
I'd love to see Q1's style return in a Quake game.
-
Q4 was one of the worst games made. The shooting was just awful.
-
That's a bit of an exaggeration. It wasn't great, but it was far from awful.
-
That's a bit of an exaggeration. It wasn't great, but it was far from awful.
I agree w/ this.
I think Raven just knows how to consistently make solid games.
Just, don't expect the world and then some from them.
I can't remember the really last amazing and mind-blowing game they made - but Wolfenstein [2010], Singularity, and Quake 4 were are solid and decent enough.
-
Last best thing from Ravensoft? Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast! That game was addictive! It had its flaws (most notably in the visuals and lo-res textures) but they did a great thing with the gameplay. That was the first game of that generation (after the original Jedi Knight games) that really brought back the feeling of taking on the role of a Jedi.
Aside from that I also enjoyed the X-men Legends games from Raven.
Quake 4 I liked but I agree that the weapons sucked overall. Doom 3 had more "Quake" weapons than Quake 4!
-
Raven software has always held a place in my heart. I've always enjoyed the shooters they put out. I can see there games being competent at best but I've always liked the way it felt as far as weapons and enemies go. The only one of there games I haven't checked out was that new Wolfenstein game which I want to play sometime down the road.
-
That's a bit of an exaggeration. It wasn't great, but it was far from awful.
It was competent. The problem is that I can't remember a single thing about the campaign. It wasn't a terribly memorable experience.
-
It was competent. The problem is that I can't remember a single thing about the campaign. It wasn't a terribly memorable experience.
Yeah, it was mundane. I recall getting excited about...
[spoiler]...the part when Kane gets mutilated and turned into a Strogg but that whole segment felt like a wasted opportunity. It didn't really go anywhere.[/spoiler]
Ravensoft need to be working on Heretic III!!
-
Raven doesn't always knock it out of the park, but Heretic II was still a complete classic and totally different from anything else at the time. That game deserved much better than it ever got.
-
At this point I could really care less about anything id does.
-
Last best thing from Ravensoft? Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast! That game was addictive! It had its flaws (most notably in the visuals and lo-res textures) but they did a great thing with the gameplay. That was the first game of that generation (after the original Jedi Knight games) that really brought back the feeling of taking on the role of a Jedi.
Yeah, Jedi Knight II was sweet!
-
Yeah, Jedi Knight II was sweet!
Totally an amazing game. I think it's what really got me into PC gaming.
-
Jedi Academy was a good expansion as well. I really enjoy the missions and the good/evil paths.
-
How the hell did I miss buying copies of Jedi Academy and JK2? :o
-
I want to know why we haven't gotten another one.
-
I vaguely remember playing JK II. Not a lot of detailed memories. I looked on my pile of old PC-game jewel cases, and there it is in the middle of it, with the edge label upside down.