Overwritten.net
Community => General Discussion => Topic started by: K-man on Wednesday, September 07, 2011, 08:48:20 AM
-
I purchased the series on DVD at Best Buy a few years ago during a sale. I am just now getting around to watching it. I've finished the 2 hour premiere and the second episode. A few things:
The show is currently 2/2 on end of show violent yet hilarious moments. I hope this is a trend that continues.
I already like Nathan Fillon.
Summer Glau is nowhere near as hot in the show as she is in real life.
I like Shepard a lot
How many Baldwin brothers are there?
-
Ok, so upon further investigation, Adam Baldwin is not actually a Baldwin brother. However, he did play Animal Mother in Full Metal Jacket.
-
Yea, Jayne has some pretty amazing moments, but you could just about say that for all the characters in the show.
Also, he was in Independence Day.
-
Well, time to watch these again. Not that I'm complaining.
-
Yea, I think I will do the same.
-
Now I'm tempted to watch it again (though I only have the movie at this point).
-
Never seen it either. I had been meaning to watch for a long time but never got around to it. This is a good reminder.
-
Watched the third episode tonight. One complaint of mine is that the acting isn't exactly on par sometimes. Story is definitely interesting enough, and I have a feeling that by the end of the series (and the movie) that I am going to wish the universe had been fleshed out more.
-
I bought for my dad for Christmas years ago...and then watched it for myself.
-
I don't recall ever having an issue with the acting. Some of the characters are a bit goofy, but even at that I never found them less than believable.
Pyro convinced me to watch it some years back and I'd never even heard of it. Went out and bought the DVD set for like $40 and was insta-hooked. Julia and I watched it twice. My only regret is I never got the special edition of Serenity.
-
The only piece of Firefly I ever watched was Serenity. I think that might have been a mistake because I thought it was horrible and now have no interest whatsoever in seeing any other part of the Firefly series. I probably would have had greater appreciation for the movie if I had actually watched the series.
-
You can't really have any appreciation for the movie at all without watching the series. It's like watching the season finale to a show you've never seen. Nothing has any context. Though to be fair, it wasn't the best movie. It wasn't bad, it just had to rush things, and none of those things would make any sense without context. They were bad enough *with* context. If you enjoyed the characters at all and felt you'd like them more if you had a better vehicle for their appreciation, then you should check out the show.
-
Watched the third episode tonight. One complaint of mine is that the acting isn't exactly on par sometimes. Story is definitely interesting enough, and I have a feeling that by the end of the series (and the movie) that I am going to wish the universe had been fleshed out more.
Yea, there's little back story info, they are mainly just used as plot devices to give more backbone to characters and to move stuff along. And yea, the action can be a little weak sometimes, there are some parts of it that are better than others, though the show is dated. There is another episode with a rather goofy firefight sequence. I always thought the flight action scenes with Serenity were the most well done. I believe Firefly was the first (or one of the first) sci fi shows to realistically convey silence in the empty vacuum of space. I watched the first episode yesterday, I think I'll watch 2 more today.
-
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with till you understand you is in rotten command here."
-
I just watched this for the first time a month back and loved it. I hear really good things about Dollhouse as well so I'll probably do that soon.
-
pffft summer glau
(http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/y/8/y8822hnjjheznhj8.jpg) :-* :-* :-*
-
I thought I told you to stay away from my woman.
-
pffft summer glau
(http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/y/8/y8822hnjjheznhj8.jpg) :-* :-* :-*
:-* :-* :-*:-* :-* :-*:-* :-* :-*:-* :-* :-*:-* :-* :-*:-* :-* :-*:-* :-* :-*:-* :-* :-*:-* :-* :-*
-
i'll fight you all for her.. I'LL FIGHT ALL YOU BITCHES
-
Her character is adorable. Add me to the list.
I'm like 6 episodes in.
I keep coming back for more, but a lot of production values are lacking. Some of the action scenes are just silly. The characters can be really "off" sometimes (for some reason I'm just not always convinced - although I can't pinpoint if it is the acting or just the characters themselves that make it this way). I hope the character development gets a little deeper. It's sort of cursory at this point. And I know this is scifi, but I'm also finding some elements downright unbelievable/implausible to the point of distraction.
So like I said, I am definitely enjoying it but it's not exactly seamless/perfect. And doesn't quite suck you in like some other shows do.
-
I know some of the episodes were shot out of order, that could be it.
-
Watched Our Mrs. Reynolds and Jaynestown tonight. Beth's finally warming up to it. I really wish they'd get on with explaining some backstory on River. I hope Shephard gets a proper explanation as well.
Wash might be my favorite character.
and man oh man Christina Hendricks.
-
We are now at exactly the same point. Nice!
I agree with all your points, but I'm not sure who Beth is. :P
Characters are getting better overall. Liking Kaylee, the doc, and the prostitute more. The only oddballs in my mind are Zoey (black woman) and River. Zoe is still pretty dead as a character. River is just annoying for reasons that haven't really been explained and there isn't even a hint of progress. Just her running around like an idiot.
-
That's basically my main complaint with River. I mean I realize you have to operate under the understanding that this was supposed to last way longer, but come on. Throw me a bone or something.
And Beth is my wife and future baby mama
-
You aren't going to get much of an explanation for River until the last couple episodes and the movie.
-
Watched Out of Gas and Ariel tonight. Both easily the most tense episodes thus-far. Jayne's a dick.
Liked how Out of Gas was presented in flashbacks. I didn't appreciate that mechanic dude having his way with Kaylee though.
-
I think Kaylee was having her way with him.
-
I watched "War Stories" last night. Probably my favorite episode of the series so far.
-
Hell the whole last half of the season is pretty fucking awesome.
War Stories, thats the one with the torture scene right? I loved that scene.
-
I think my favorite character changes with each episode.
-
You can't really have any appreciation for the movie at all without watching the series. It's like watching the season finale to a show you've never seen. Nothing has any context. Though to be fair, it wasn't the best movie. It wasn't bad, it just had to rush things, and none of those things would make any sense without context. They were bad enough *with* context. If you enjoyed the characters at all and felt you'd like them more if you had a better vehicle for their appreciation, then you should check out the show.
Thanks for the response. That's pretty much what I thought. I think part of it too was that it had a very made-for-TV quality to it and as such it doesn't really stand up on its own without having an appreciation for the rest of the show.
My sister loved Firefly. It was her that made me watch Serenity. I'll probably just have to ask her about the show and see if she can get me interested in watching it.
-
It's not a significant investment. I'm pretty close to being finished.
-
"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
Haha
-
Back to where you are now.
Episodes are definitely getting better and better. Maybe because I'm enjoying the characters more or maybe because they are just higher production value. Action scenes are still a bit silly, but that's my only real gripe. Oh, that and I HATE the title song. I always skip over it, but even the first line makes me cringe. "Take my life..." RAWR
Only like 3-4 more episodes left!
-
I agree with you, that title song is flat-out terrible. Cheesy as all get out.
3 more episodes to go.
-
Just finished!
[spoiler]Sorta disappointed about the lack of wrapping up on major plot lines. Last episode just felt like any other one. What about Mal and Inara? Or Kaylee and the doc? And what ever happened with Shepherd's alliance ties? I felt like a lot was left unturned.
And I still don't really get River. She seems to have 3 states of mind: 1) boring, confused, and randomly wandering, 2) crazy, hallucinating, or 3) observant, rational, and cracking jokes.
[/spoiler]
Next up is the movie.
-
I just finished the last episode. I feel like the last 2-3 really ramped up. Sucks that it ended so soon.
Movie tomorrow.
-
Uh, shock, you're aware that it was cancelled mid-season, right?
-
Haha - just discovered that last night. Makes a little more sense now.
-
Well the journey is at an end. What a tense last hour of a movie.
I was like "man there's a noticeable absence of reaver activity in the TV show. Do they ever explore that?"
Yeah, yeah they do.
-
Hahah - I watched the movie too. They definitely upped the ante on the action scenes.
My only complaint with the movie was that some of the characters seemed off. The beginning movie-Mal seemed quite different the Mal at the end of the show. He had a few lines where he basically kicked off Simon for not "being one of the crew." Which struck me as odd considering he was always part of the crew before. And Mal also took shit from Jayne, which wasn't like the TV-Mal.
[spoiler]It also made me sad that Wash died. Like, more sad than I should have been. Haha. [/spoiler]
Anyway, really enjoyed the movie. And good series overall. Sad that it never really got to its full potential.
Now I need something else to watch. :P
-
Start watching Castle. Thank me later.
-
Yeah I was sort of annoyed at how the movie began, considering they revisited things like shock mentioned that had already been established in the TV show.