Overwritten.net
Community => General Discussion => Topic started by: Pugnate on Sunday, May 13, 2012, 04:10:15 AM
-
I just looked. My joining date on OW is 2006.
That's six years! Insane.
I think most of us met on IGN/AOG in 2000ish?
That's 12 years at least. A really long time.
Aside from immediate family, I don't think I've been in constant touch with many friends for that long. Not sure. When you move, you find it harder to stay in touch, I guess. You exchange the occasional email.
But we are in constant communication. Funny thing is we talk a lot about common interests, but how much do we really know about each other, aside from the people at OW who met up, and what we feel like we should share?
I don't know much about so many of you, like Scary_Tooth or iPP..
[spoiler]
Others I know enough of, to know I want you dead. (Angry_Keebler) [/spoiler]
-
Time flies when you're having fun, right?
I want my great grandkids to eventually uncover the records of these boards and see how our primitive technology used to function for entertainment purposes!
They'll be like "Geez great grandpa, how did you guys enjoy this stuff? There are pixels everywhere! It doesn't even jack into your neural network, how do you get emotionally invested in it? And you had to type to communicate with other people?! Gawd!" Or something.
-
Answer: too long. Or just long enough. I dont know.
-
I think I first met Pug and some of you others back on the PCCB on IGN. That was ~2001. I've been around off and on since then. Weeeeeiirrddd
-
Everything in my life is OK. I am engaged... I have friends here etc. But, for some reason, I am missing you guys. I feel we have gotten a little disconnected.
-
I feel disconnected in general. I guess I project some of that here. I don't mean to. It just happens.
-
Everything in my life is OK. I am engaged... I have friends here etc. But, for some reason, I am missing you guys. I feel we have gotten a little disconnected.
Excellent. Your life now is happy and comfortable. Exactly where I want you. Then when you are at your happiest, I will appear.
To throw you off a bridge.
-
Pug told me to join AOG back when IGN decided to go pay-to-post, whenever that was...
I posted heavily on the IGN PC boards, back in the day.
I don't think there's not really much to know about me. [shrug]
I'm not Mr. Excitement, you know.
I've always been a video game, movie, TV, and music junkie.
-
Everything in my life is OK. I am engaged... I have friends here etc. But, for some reason, I am missing you guys. I feel we have gotten a little disconnected.
Yeah, things have seemed slower than usual as of late.
That said, I'll be honest and say that I haven't ever really felt connected here. I lurk and linger, and I'm not quite sure why.
-
I think despite all this time I still bear the title of "Pug's friend" among you all :P
Whatever, it's an honorable title. I'll wear the sash with pride.
Here's to you, Pugnate!
-
I think despite all this time I still bear the title of "Pug's friend" among you all :P
Whatever, it's an honorable title. I'll wear the sash with pride.
Here's to you, Pugnate!
HAHAHAHAHAHA GOOD JOKE
Everyone knows Pug doesn't have any friends.
-
Haha
-
One more year and it'll be half my life.
-
woah!!!!!!!!!
-
Don't worry Ren. You'll always be 12 to me.
-
One more year and it'll be half my life.
Now that puts it in perspective.
-
I think the community been since around '00 - '01 if you include IGN. Anyone remember the stint at the Gamers.com boards?
-
I remember that. Good times.
-
IGN boards... good memories...
-
I think gamers.com was when I joined up.
-
Here's something else pretty crazy. We've been using this SMF forum with the overwritten.net domain name since September 10, 2006. That by itself means we have been at this current place for nearly six years!
Before that we were at The Minds Eye. The first post there was April 23, 2004. We were at AOG before tha, but I can't remember for how long. Maybe two years? Gamers.com was short-lived between AOG and IGN before Pugnate's marketing skills lured us to AOG.
-
I remember gamers.com. That's when I started getting more into Photoshop and we all had our little signature banner show-offs.
-
I wish AOG was still around. I'd love to go back and read the massive flame war thread that caused us all to leave.
-
I wish AOG was still around. I'd love to go back and read the massive flame war thread that caused us all to leave.
It was my "Passion of the Christ" thread that started it all.
That's right.
I killed AOG.
-
I'm sure you can find it in archive sites somewhere. I remember doing it once. Though I don't remember exactly what time period that was.
-
Probably a few days before April 23, 2004. I made Minds Eye when that whole thing blew up and didn't want everyone scattered to the wind. The internet wind.
-
Here's something else pretty crazy. We've been using this SMF forum with the overwritten.net domain name since September 10, 2006. That by itself means we have been at this current place for nearly six years!
I just looked. My joining date on OW is 2006.
That's six years! Insane.
:P
-
hahah I was trying to get everyone to AOG and I am sure that must have been really annoying. When IGN went pay only, I was like... this is IT!
I started PMing all the posters who were frequent members. It is funny how if those boards hadn't gone down, we wouldn't have been together on AOG probably, and not nearly as close as we are today.
Even Que, emailed the AOG staff and that's how he ended up with us. Again... he did something as simple as mock my review's lack of polish via email, and next thing you know, he is on the staff and on the forums. :P :P
I guess what I trying to say at the age of 32 is that life really works in crazy ways. Something you think as being as so innocuous can have a giant impact. For an internet community we are really tight knit, and I'd say, overall, have had a positive impact on each other's lives. None of that would have happened had it not been for happenings that seemed simple at first.
I am not claiming that I brought you guys from IGN. Fact is that I wanted AOG to succeed and I was just PMing everyone who posted frequently. But what if you guys hadn't followed that PM? Then none of us would have known each other. If Que hadn't emailed us, we wouldn't have known him either.
I am rambling a bit, but it is different when you befriend someone through real life. This just seems so much more delicate.
It was my "Passion of the Christ" thread that started it all.
That's right.
I killed AOG.
hahaha I would love to read that thread again!
-
It was my "Passion of the Christ" thread that started it all.
That's right.
I killed AOG.
Oof! (http://z4.invisionfree.com/Zoids_Evolution/index.php?showtopic=3939) Digging up the past is not always pleasant. Googling "alloutgames.com passion of christ thread" netted me this.
OMG lazers pew pew? :P
-
I'm slightly weirded out that people were discussing us.
-
Huh. Well it looks like that has been ingrained in the collective internet memory now. It is interesting to see some outsides opinions on the subject though.
Anyway, it's both funny and extremely awesome how this has all worked out. Even if you don't entirely think it or if it was for this reason, but I really do credit you, Pug, for igniting the spark that got us together as a group. Sure we had the PCCB and some smaller sub-groups had formed, but things really got going when we formed that first core AOG group. I at least feel like I owe you a bit for that.
And now, look at us. Several of us have met and seem to get along pretty well. Hell, two of you were in my goddamned wedding. Not just present, but in the thing. As I've watched the internet become what it is today I'm even more shocked at how we've somehow defied the typical controls on internet and message board culture (especially since we were centered around video games). And now that this has more or less accounted for a 3rd of my life, that's just crazy and amazing. Sure we've drifted a bit, but I can tell you we've done way better than many groups of people who went through high school or college together. Not bad for folks who mostly exist as a series of letters.
Edit: Zoids? Really? I'm guessing Keebs..... really?
-
Oof! (http://z4.invisionfree.com/Zoids_Evolution/index.php?showtopic=3939) Digging up the past is not always pleasant. Googling "alloutgames.com passion of christ thread" netted me this.
OMG lazers pew pew? :P
Who the hell are those people?
-
I got here in April 2007. It certainly doesn't feel like it's been that long.
-
The last six years have gone by incredibly fast. I still feel like we juts moved to OW.net (I still have the bookmark to the Minds Eye on my main PC) and that I sort of still feel like I told everyone about Savarian.
-
Heh. I've had a good time here over the years. I'm glad to know all of you. I've gone through a fair amount of shit since coming here, including marriage and divorce, my dad dying, and I'm still not exactly in the best place I've ever been, but there were many times when I'd have been worse off if I hadn't had AOG/TME/OWnet to vent and make an ass of myself.
My only regret related to this place on the whole is losing Sy to Pennsylvania. He and Aimee are still two of my favorite people, and not having real-life access to them anymore has remained unceasingly a colossal bummer. And that's really an understatement.
-
So, is Sav not coming back?
-
Huh. Well it looks like that has been ingrained in the collective internet memory now. It is interesting to see some outsides opinions on the subject though.
Anyway, it's both funny and extremely awesome how this has all worked out. Even if you don't entirely think it or if it was for this reason, but I really do credit you, Pug, for igniting the spark that got us together as a group. Sure we had the PCCB and some smaller sub-groups had formed, but things really got going when we formed that first core AOG group. I at least feel like I owe you a bit for that.
And now, look at us. Several of us have met and seem to get along pretty well. Hell, two of you were in my goddamned wedding. Not just present, but in the thing. As I've watched the internet become what it is today I'm even more shocked at how we've somehow defied the typical controls on internet and message board culture (especially since we were centered around video games). And now that this has more or less accounted for a 3rd of my life, that's just crazy and amazing. Sure we've drifted a bit, but I can tell you we've done way better than many groups of people who went through high school or college together. Not bad for folks who mostly exist as a series of letters.
Edit: Zoids? Really? I'm guessing Keebs..... really?
lol i've never seen an episode ever. I was on that forum for a....different reason. (It had to do with a girl who was also a member)
-
So, is Sav not coming back?
I'm convinced that Sav is her true identity and that Sy is a fake she made up to see if she could convince all of us that she is a male after so many years of truthfulness.
-
Been a long time, my only regret is that I'm an asshole. I believe it was The Grey Mouse who took me from forum, to forum.
-
The Grey Tubgirl?