Overwritten.net

Community => Entertainment => Topic started by: Pugnate on Monday, December 03, 2012, 01:31:47 PM

Title: Life of Pi
Post by: Pugnate on Monday, December 03, 2012, 01:31:47 PM
Go watch it! Beautiful film. The 3D effects are just amazing. Don't feel like a gimmick at all. Loved it.
Title: Re: Life of Pi
Post by: ren on Tuesday, December 04, 2012, 05:10:26 PM
I really liked the book and from the trailers it looks like a straight adaptation. I don't understand how they're able to show everything that they did in the book without going off into ridiculousness but it seems like everyone who has seen it seems to like it.

Have you read the book or were you going in blind?
Title: Re: Life of Pi
Post by: Pugnate on Wednesday, December 05, 2012, 01:50:59 AM
Read the book. Was a worthy adaptation and then some! I think even the Martel would be pleased.
Title: Re: Life of Pi
Post by: Quemaqua on Wednesday, December 05, 2012, 11:05:26 AM
I haven't read it yet, so probably won't see it.
Title: Re: Life of Pi
Post by: Pugnate on Thursday, December 06, 2012, 03:42:16 PM
The more I think about it, the more I loved it. It was spiritual but not in annoying way. The visuals are just breathtaking. Amazing 3D. Seriously. This is one of the two or three movies where I actually felt 3D enhanced the experience. Mostly films it sucks.

Title: Re: Life of Pi
Post by: Pugnate on Tuesday, December 11, 2012, 10:35:07 AM
My review:

http://tribune.com.pk/story/475987/movie-review-life-of-pi-cant-just-have-one-slice/#comment-1155401

This is not a blog. It is a proper review of the newspaper. Would appreciate feedback. Hope the puns aren't too lame. (The title pun isn't mine :P)
Title: Re: Life of Pi
Post by: Raisa on Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 05:41:02 PM
I haven't seen it, but friends were trying to get me to escape the kid and hubby last weekend to go see it. Then my friends said it's like a chinese story made indian?
Title: Re: Life of Pi
Post by: gpw11 on Sunday, February 24, 2013, 06:51:48 PM
I had been meaning to read the book for, oh, the last thirteen years and never did, but I sat down and watched this last night.  Honestly, I think I would have appreciated the book more, but was very impressed none-the-less.

[spoiler]I think the underlying "message" of the story is probably a little bit easier to convey in book format. Specifically, the ending and the presentation of the more plausible story of the journey. With the movie, I think it's pretty easy for audiences to brush it off as a plot twist rather than anything more.  Now, I haven't read the book, but from what I can gather from just the movie, the entire dilemma and underlying message of which story you choose to be better is actually the focal point of the story - two stories are presented, one is plausible and believable, but horrific.  The other is much much harder to believe, but one in which you want to believe. Since the story itself has no bearing on the matters of importance - such as why or how the ship sank, many would ultimately find it more rewarding to choose the unbelievable story - but that takes faith, "And so it goes with God".

I think many watching would just walk away without all the subtext and just see it as a kind of  M. Night Shyamalan-esque twist, which is a shame.  It's not a fault of the film itself, but probably more of just a side effect of how we tend to take movies in differently than books.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: Life of Pi
Post by: Cobra951 on Monday, February 25, 2013, 12:36:52 AM
oh, no.  It's not easy to dismiss at all.  [spoiler]It reminded me a bit of Atonement.  The story you watch for most of the running time turns out to be a fantasy, and the real, brutal truth is hidden for reasons very personal to the storyteller.  It's impossible to dismiss.  It becomes all too obvious.  The story as presented is too fanciful, too ethereal to be objective fact.  However, the brief confession under pressure is not.  It changes the mood from wonder to shock, then sadness.[/spoiler]