Overwritten.net

Games => General Gaming => Topic started by: idolminds on Monday, May 27, 2013, 05:52:40 PM

Title: Gunpoint
Post by: idolminds on Monday, May 27, 2013, 05:52:40 PM
Site (http://www.gunpointgame.com/)

Demo available, can buy it drm-free and steam key for $9 right now as a preorder. You can also spend more on special editions if you like.

I just gave the demo a spin and its kind of a cool game. A 2D side scrolling sneaky spy game. There are 2 gimmicks in this one that makes it stand out a bit. First, you have this leap move that lets you jump across the screen and cling to walls. So you can climb walls and jump on guards to knock them out. Kind of ninja-ish, but also feels a little strange. The other thing is you pick up a tool that lets you rewire things in the building. So normally a guard has to press his hand on a panel to open a locked door, but you could rewire a light switch to the hand panel and unlock it yourself by hitting the light switch. Or wire it into a security camera, or...whatever. I bet the later levels get more interesting with this and the demo just sort of gives you a taste.

Anyway, its kinda neat. Maybe check it out.
Title: Re: Gunpoint
Post by: Xessive on Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 12:39:49 PM
Gunpoint is awesome.

The videos might make it seem complicated but it's deceptively simple. The puzzles are just the right amount of challenging and the platforming is fun.

I've had the game for a while but I just managed to play it tonight and I am thoroughly enjoying it!
Title: Re: Gunpoint
Post by: Quemaqua on Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 08:02:18 PM
I know Sy's been playing it. It looks pretty neato.
Title: Re: Gunpoint
Post by: sirean_syan on Thursday, December 19, 2013, 05:49:36 AM
Que's looking at my Steam info.

I picked it up during the fall sale and had a run through it during the Thanksgiving holiday. It's a cool little experience. I think it took me about 4-5 hours to complete (Steam clock says otherwise, but I left it on throughout a day). It's pretty simply once you get into it and in many cases if feels fairly free form. There's a nice sense of style and the private eye/gumshoe angle is a lot of fun.

I think my main complaint is that the game can become too easy if you're willing to punch more people in the face. On top of that, there are a few cases where I felt like there was little alternative other than sucker punching someone. In my run I tried for as little conflict as possible and still had to knock out 14 people according to an end game counter. I chose that a couple times so I could knock out people remotely, but at least 4 times I felt forced into conflict. That's the exception to the rule but they stood out.
Title: Re: Gunpoint
Post by: Xessive on Thursday, December 19, 2013, 09:40:30 AM
My end game post:

[spoiler]
14 dead. 30 injured. 20 jobs. $13,000. The week echoed in my mind like a gunshot in an empty street..

They don't let me name names on this blog, but the person behind the hit I was investigating is probably being picked up by the East Point police about now.

Killing him wasn't worth the stain on my conscience.

The trigger man's going down. That would have felt good if I hadn't just taken a seven story body slam.

I don't know.

I guess I picked the least shitty of two incredibly shitty sides.

Maybe that doesn't matter. Maybe all that matters is that I now have the ability to kick down doors.

Either way, I need to get out of this city.[/spoiler]

A lot of the deaths were a result of broken glass or surprise open floors :P