Overwritten.net

Community => Entertainment => Topic started by: scottws on Tuesday, December 22, 2015, 09:33:02 PM

Title: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Post by: scottws on Tuesday, December 22, 2015, 09:33:02 PM
I finally saw this movie today.  I'd like to talk about it, but I was on total media blackout between last Tuesday through today.  I didn't even want to hear if it was good or bad.

Anyone not seen it yet?  I don't want to ruin it for anyone that hasn't seen it.
Title: Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Post by: Cobra951 on Tuesday, December 22, 2015, 09:42:49 PM
I haven't, but I can just stay out of the thread until I do.  The last movie I saw at a theater was Avatar.  This one is slated to be the next.  Must see on a big screen.
Title: Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Post by: Xessive on Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 05:53:29 AM
I enjoyed it :D
Title: Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Post by: W7RE on Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 06:09:08 AM
I was on blackout as well. Finally saw it yesterday, and I loved it. I'm sure there are things I didn't like about it, but right now I can't think of anything. I liked the characters, the action, the story, the CG didn't look terrible (like in the prequels, even after some touching up).
Title: Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Post by: idolminds on Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 11:29:37 AM
I saw it on Monday. I really enjoyed it. [spoiler]Though the one thing I found kind of funny was at some point someone sat down and had to come up with "Another Death Star, but bigger". We've seen enough trench runs, guys.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Post by: W7RE on Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 12:45:18 PM
I saw it on Monday. I really enjoyed it. [spoiler]Though the one thing I found kind of funny was at some point someone sat down and had to come up with "Another Death Star, but bigger". We've seen enough trench runs, guys.[/spoiler]

Well, the whole movie was basically (major spoilers) [spoiler]a remake of A New Hope. Orphaned kid from a desert planet happens to be a great pilot and turns out to be strong with the force, aged character with a past attached to the main antagonist gets killed by said antagonist, then a trench run in an X-Wing destroys the giant murder machine in space. They also threw in the ground level force to take out the shield generator from Return of the Jedi.[/spoiler]

Not sure if I should be tagging spoilers or not, but better safe than sorry I guess.
Title: Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Post by: idolminds on Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 12:52:01 PM
Good point, edited my post to hide stuff just in case.
Title: Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Post by: scottws on Monday, December 28, 2015, 10:05:45 AM
I saw it and really enjoyed it.  [spoiler]It definitely is an homage to A New Hope, as others have said.  I thought it was really well done in every way and don't have much to complain about.  I was surprised at how central of a character Han Solo was and also how Harrison Ford recaptured his character perfectly after all those years have passed.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Post by: iPPi on Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 09:36:52 PM
I saw it today and like it.  I concur with the other comments made so far so I won't reiterate.  It's definitely not a perfect movie and does have its flaws.
Title: Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Post by: PyroMenace on Wednesday, January 06, 2016, 01:52:38 PM
I've seen it twice now and loved it.

[spoiler]It feels pretty clear to me that the trilogy is going to be about a dark side user of the force coming back to the light. Which I'm completely excited about because it's been something that's never been focused on in the movies, just hinted at. You could say Vader went back to the light at his last moments, but it would be really cool to see a young force user like Kylo Ren switch over. I've also read speculation of a double switch, Kylo going light while Rey going dark. That I wouldn't be so fond of since Rey is a much more grounded morally good character, maybe if she gets capture and brain washed (which is mentioned in the movie with how they recruit Stormtroopers). Who knows, maybe Rey and Kylo form a bond and Rey's capture will be the anchor for how Kylo switches over to light side. We shall see. [/spoiler]
Title: Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Post by: ender on Sunday, January 24, 2016, 09:11:11 PM
I've seen it 6 times. I really enjoy it. I think I am done seeing it for quite sometime. Really brought me back to when I loved Star Wars as a kid!
Title: Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Post by: Cobra951 on Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 08:20:57 AM
Well, the whole movie was basically (major spoilers) [spoiler]a remake of A New Hope. Orphaned kid from a desert planet happens to be a great pilot and turns out to be strong with the force, aged character with a past attached to the main antagonist gets killed by said antagonist, then a trench run in an X-Wing destroys the giant murder machine in space. They also threw in the ground level force to take out the shield generator from Return of the Jedi.[/spoiler]

Not sure if I should be tagging spoilers or not, but better safe than sorry I guess.

[spoiler]Except the previous aged central character killed by the main antagonist got to live on as this shimmery being who can pop in and out at will.  Han Solo is just dead.  *Sigh*  That was a shocking heartbreaker.  It seemed more of a "let me off this merry-go-round" move by Ford than a necessary or advisable plot point.  I'd much rather see Leia get bumped off than Solo.[/spoiler]  Given that lore-killer JJ Abrams was at the helm, it could have been much worse--like Tatooine getting blown up before Luke was born.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, except for the spoiler.  Yes, definitely homage to past greatness.  Nicely done.