Author Topic: Let the Right One In  (Read 24797 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,502
Let the Right One In
« on: Thursday, January 01, 2009, 10:07:40 PM »
IMDB page

If this is playing somewhere near you , go see it. And if it's not, you should still see it. A buddy at work told me about this movie a few weeks ago. It's a Swedish movie based on a book of the same name. I didn't really pay much attention to it, but I was kind of interested. I wanted to do something tonight cause I'm off tomorrow, and I haven't done much of anything in the past week or so, so I decided to go check it out. It's a pretty small release. I found it on one screen in Columbus. I suspect it's probably like that in most places. It's really really good. The movie is really atmospheric and sort of moody. It's kind of a love story, horror, drama thing. It's also kind of disturbing, the love story is between two children really, but there are some very subtle sexual undertones. At least I picked up on some. Maybe I'm just a creepo. The horror parts are well done and well placed. The story is really well told, paced right, and it's really creepy, and scary, but touching at the same time. The actors in the movie are great. I rarely see two actors of that age pull off performances like this.

I don't think I've ever seen a movie quite like it. It's great.

Offline Quemaqua

  • 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 16,500
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 01, 2009, 10:52:13 PM »
That sounds surprisingly interesting.  I'll have to check it out.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ScaryTooth

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,502
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 01, 2009, 11:10:11 PM »
For sure man. I really can't get over how awesome it is.

Offline ScaryTooth

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,502
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 02, 2009, 08:17:05 PM »
Here is a review that pretty much sums up my feelings about it.

I'm actually going to see it again tomorrow, heh.

Offline beo

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,480
  • ****
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 02, 2009, 09:38:21 PM »
just finished watching it. you were right scary - that was pretty fucking awesome.

Offline Ghandi

  • Senior Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4,804
  • HAMS
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 02, 2009, 09:44:50 PM »
I'll have to pick it up when it comes out on DVD. Don't think it's been released near me. Looking forward to it. The fact that it's a small release makes me only more interested, since most of the popular stuff is rubbish.

Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 01:32:15 PM »
This one sounds quite interesting.

Offline W7RE

  • Post-aholic
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 02:47:09 PM »
Wow, this looks really good. I wish it were playing closer to where I live.

Offline Dragonlor

  • Member
  • **
  • Posts: 213
  • Nii-San!
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 07, 2009, 08:15:07 PM »
Hmm the whole vampire romance thing kinda draws my attention away from it.  I just can see myself paying for to see it.  I'd rather spend my money on a cheap hooker, because I can probably get more for my money that way.  Plus I've watched enough vampire romance animes to have my feel for them all.  It's an over done scenario in the anime world being live action makes it no different.  Unless you guys can prove to me with out a doubt that it's worth the money, I don't think I'll ever see it.

Offline ScaryTooth

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,502
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 09, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »
Your loss. I haven't heard one negative thing about it. The movie is awesomely good. I recommended it to a bunch of my friends and the 3 or so that have seen it so far loved it. It gets stuck in your head. It's one of those movies that just effects you in some way.

I almost promise you it's nothing like an anime...

Offline ren

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,673
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 11, 2009, 09:26:18 PM »
This is only showing at one theatre in Toronto with only two shows this week. Going to try and make it.

Offline ren

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,673
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 10:38:03 PM »
Wow. So I went to see this movie knowing nothing about it, not even the vampire plotline. When the first vampire scene started I was incredibly confused as to what the fuck was going on.

Offline ScaryTooth

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,502
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 07:34:38 AM »
So, did you like it?

Offline Pugnate

  • What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 12,257
    • OW
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »
I think he did, because he said "wow".

Also, I love your avatar Scary :P

And I respect your opinion on movies, so I am going to watch out for this one.

Offline ren

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,673
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 03:47:43 PM »
I definitely liked it. It was satisfying on basically every level and was the first vampire movie I've seen that was actually creepy.

 There were a couple scenes that I didn't understand though:

[spoiler] The scene where he's with his father and that guy comes over and they start drinking vodka. It seemed to imply a lot and had a really sinister feel to it but wasn't explained. Who was that guy and why was it important?

When Oskar was watching Eli, we saw some vagina. She was scarred down there. Is that some vampire lore I was missing? It's the only place on her body that was scarred and it seemed like they showed it for a reason. I feel I missed a lot of things in this movie that had to do with vampire mythology though this definitely might not be an example of it.[/spoiler]

Offline beo

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,480
  • ****
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »
[spoiler] The scene where he's with his father and that guy comes over and they start drinking vodka. It seemed to imply a lot and had a really sinister feel to it but wasn't explained. Who was that guy and why was it important?

When Oskar was watching Eli, we saw some vagina. She was scarred down there. Is that some vampire lore I was missing? It's the only place on her body that was scarred and it seemed like they showed it for a reason. I feel I missed a lot of things in this movie that had to do with vampire mythology though this definitely might not be an example of it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]not sure about the first bit, i think it just implied that his father was an alcoholic and cared more about getting drunk with his friend than being with his son. although there was something creepy about that scene, maybe alluding to abuse - really not sure on that one.

as for the second bit, eli says that "she's" not a girl. in the book it is explained that eli is a castrated male. [/spoiler]

Offline ScaryTooth

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,502
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 06:06:13 PM »
[spoiler]I think the older guy was pretty much like, Oskar. Eli, befriended him when he was young, and he just got old and out lived his usefulness. As for the drinking scene, yeah, I felt that it alluded to abuse as well. But I think it was mostly just another scene to show us how neglected, Oskar is.

As for the vagina thing, I kind of figured that whole castrated thing. I mean, she keeps saying how she isn't a girl throughout the movie.[/spoiler]

I just love the movie. There is so much going on it, little hints here in there, letting you know more about a character. It's just awesome. definitely my favorite movie of last year. And one of my favorites ever.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 06:38:50 PM by ScaryTooth »

Offline W7RE

  • Post-aholic
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 06:50:55 PM »
[spoiler]I wondered about the vagina thing too. I guess I should have put two and two together, but I assumed her not being a girl was more about her being a vampire. Like, she's not a girl, but a creature.[/spoiler]

Offline ren

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,673
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 10:19:24 PM »
[spoiler]I think the older guy was pretty much like, Oskar. Eli, befriended him when he was young, and he just got old and out lived his usefulness. As for the drinking scene, yeah, I felt that it alluded to abuse as well. But I think it was mostly just another scene to show us how neglected, Oskar is.

As for the vagina thing, I kind of figured that whole castrated thing. I mean, she keeps saying how she isn't a girl throughout the movie.[/spoiler]

I just love the movie. There is so much going on it, little hints here in there, letting you know more about a character. It's just awesome. definitely my favorite movie of last year. And one of my favorites ever.

I thought exactly what W7RE was thinking. Didn't put two and two together there at all.

[spoiler] I had the same theory with the the old guy being pretty much Oskar. It just seems to fit.[/spoiler]

One more question:

[spoiler]What's up with the you have to be invited in a room or your skin breaks open thing? I've never come across that before[/spoiler]

Offline ScaryTooth

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,502
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #19 on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 03:37:10 PM »
[spoiler]In classic vampire lore for a vampire to enter a room or building they have to be invited.[/spoiler]

Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, March 08, 2009, 06:49:22 AM »
FYI -- this is coming out on DVD and Blu-Ray this Tuesday, y'all.

Offline iPPi

  • Senior Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3,159
  • Roar!
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, March 10, 2009, 11:22:01 PM »
Saw it tonight.  Surprisingly good movie.  I'm glad I didn't miss this one.

Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, July 04, 2009, 07:50:14 PM »
Finally rented this today. Just got through finally watching this on DVD.
What an awesome freakin' movie.

Oskar's Father and Eli's Nature - Spoilers and Thoughts
[spoiler]I definitely took the father being alcoholic and all, not really paying the kid too much attention anytime Oskar was over there...
...But, when the father's "friend" came over, the look on Oskar's face, it was as if he was...disgusted. Whether Oskar's abused or not -- is his dad gay? Sure looks like it could be hinted to that.

Given what was said about Eli saying she was "not a girl" so many times and y'all spelling out the fact that in the book Eli was castrated....ummmm....yeah....maybe Oskar's gay, too? Mirror image here -- like father, like son?

Hmmm...[/spoiler]

Offline scottws

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,610
    • Facebook Me
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, July 04, 2009, 08:32:47 PM »
It's available as a streaming movie on Netflix.  I just started it.

Offline ren

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,673
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, July 04, 2009, 09:22:04 PM »
Apparently the DVD version has awful subtitles and they're rereleasing it soon with the proper theatrical ones. Not sure what version Netflix has up

Offline scottws

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,610
    • Facebook Me
Re: Let the Right One In
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, July 04, 2009, 10:31:28 PM »
I just finished watching it.  Definitely a different take on vampires.  I love these sorts of brooding, emotional movies.  American Beauty was sort of like it in the way the director studies the actors faces.  I thought it was very good.

Regarding the subtitles: they seemed fine.