Author Topic: Bethesda re-releasing Quake 4  (Read 3354 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Bethesda re-releasing Quake 4
« on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 09:25:56 AM »
wat
"If you didn't pick up an Xbox 360 at launch, it's possible you might have missed out on one of the system's best launch titles, Quake 4," Bethesda said.

"With it becoming harder and harder to find a new copy of the game, we're happy to announce we're re-releasing it at a low price of $19.99."
Xbox and PC? I don't know whats going on. Are they bored?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Bethesda re-releasing Quake 4
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
Yep, they're definitely bored. It's pretty clear they're trying to re-infuse the oldie into the $20 game bracket to milk it some more.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 03:24:25 PM »
WTF?  :o

Are they trying to figure out if we want a Quake 5 or something?
The answer is YES. :D

Problem is, I think many Id Software fans ALREADY own many of the Quake games, Doom games, Wolfenstein games, or anything from Id [or companies that are involved w/ them often - i.e. Raven].
Plus, if you're missing any or all of the Quake series, Steam has often had it cheap ridiculous amount of times on sale for DIRT cheap.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 03:26:15 PM »
Are they even adding anything to it?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »
So far they haven't said. They are also doing some rerelease for Oblivion, which is also kinda weird.

Maybe they are doing Q4 since they didn't originally publish it, Activision did.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »
Interesting. I don't know what to say to that. Generally speaking, Quake 4 was not well received.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 04:41:17 PM »
I'd buy a copy for 360 if I knew the Quake 2 disc was going to come with it.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 05:51:23 PM »
That'd be nice. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 10:17:20 PM »
So far they haven't said. They are also doing some rerelease for Oblivion, which is also kinda weird.

Maybe they are doing Q4 since they didn't originally publish it, Activision did.
Didn't they already re-release Oblivion last year? It was a 5th Anniversary Edition or something.

The PC version of Quake 4 came with a bonus Quake 2 install. A re-release should at the very least include that.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »
Oh the anniversary edition is already out? Thats the one I meant. Didnt know it had come out already.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 03:05:30 PM »
The PC version of Quake 4 came with a bonus Quake 2 install. A re-release should at the very least include that.
The Quake 4: Collector's Edition PC [Retail Box] here in USA did come w/ Q2 + All expansions.
I don't think the Q4 Regular Edition did, though.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 03:09:45 PM »
Vanilla version did not.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »
Ah yes, the CE only.

Quake 4 was the only game missing from idsoft/Bethsoft's Quake pack on Steam; until last year when it was added to Steam and included in a Quake special deal pack.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Friday, April 13, 2012, 09:17:01 AM »
I thought Quake 4 was alright but I don't have a desire to play it again, much less buy it again.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #14 on: Friday, April 13, 2012, 09:32:53 AM »
I don't think reissuing it is altogether a bad idea.  I haven't seen a new copy in ages.  and for someone that's never played it before it's well worth it at the 20 dollar price point.

I think Quake 4 is just testament to that particular FPS design just not being able to "wow" us any more.

Quake 2 was the pinnacle of id's SP campaign design as far as I am concerned.  It just went downhill from there.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 04:36:01 PM »
I'd buy a copy for 360 if I knew the Quake 2 disc was going to come with it.

I've actually been wanting to pick it up on 360, but I want that Xbox 360 Quake 2 disc. I can only seem to find used copies of Quake 4, and they probably don't have the Q2 disc. So I sort of like this news.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, April 15, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
I think Quake 4 is just testament to that particular FPS design just not being able to "wow" us any more.
I agree with you.  I didn't personally see a lot of difference between Quake 4 and Doom III, but Quake 4 has been slammed pretty badly within this community while Doom III tends to get more favorable treatment.  I think people just want more out of a FPS game these days.  It's not enough to just have good technology and be from a renown developer anymore.  A memorable FPS game needs great presentation and a solid story.  It doesn't even have to be totally original, but that doesn't hurt as long as it is executed well.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Monday, April 16, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »
I agree with you.  I didn't personally see a lot of difference between Quake 4 and Doom III, but Quake 4 has been slammed pretty badly within this community while Doom III tends to get more favorable treatment.  I think people just want more out of a FPS game these days.  It's not enough to just have good technology and be from a renown developer anymore.  A memorable FPS game needs great presentation and a solid story.  It doesn't even have to be totally original, but that doesn't hurt as long as it is executed well.
I thought Q4's SP was better-paced than Doom 3. Doom 3, when it was great, it was great - namely in the 1st 1/3rd of the game and the last 1/3rd [especially in Hell]. The middle of Doom 3...meh. Not so-good, as it was often on-and-off. [shrug]
Q4's MP reminded me of Q3A.

I don't think a shooter needs to wow us w/ a great story - i.e. see Crysis 2. That story was okay, but it wasn't special. It was presented well, though. The gameplay and graphics [DX11 + ALL extra HD assets from their website] was pretty awesome.