Author Topic: Skyfall  (Read 29211 times)

Offline Pugnate

  • What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 12,257
    • OW
Skyfall
« on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 03:01:03 AM »
Kicked Ass.

Offline Xessive

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9,920
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 03:32:08 AM »
Thank God, someone else liked it!

I really enjoyed it but apparently everyone I know here was disappointed with it!

Offline Pugnate

  • What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 12,257
    • OW
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 05:43:51 AM »
Same here! Most people here disliked it too!

Why?

Because they are silly.

Offline Xessive

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9,920
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 07:00:13 AM »
The most common complaint I've heard was that it wasn't about a ridiculous plot for world domination. That's what I liked about it: it was about a ridiculous plot of twisted revenge! And it certainly had the most memorable villain in recent 007 history!

I don't even remember the villain from Quantum of Solace.. Actually, I don't remember much of that movie.

Offline Pugnate

  • What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 12,257
    • OW
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 08:16:19 AM »
Apparently I distributed the film. It isn't a review but a blog.

http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/14749/skyfall-easily-the-best-bond-film-ever-made/

Offline Xessive

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9,920
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »
A quote from the comments:
Quote
A Bond movie without a iconic Bond Girl…………………..how can that be good ?

Seriously? Did he even watch the movie? Eve was there! [spoiler](who was later revealed to be Miss Moneypenny)[/spoiler]

Offline Cools!

  • Administrator
  • Veteran
  • *
  • Posts: 1,628
  • Let's burn.
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 10:33:12 AM »
I don't even remember the villain from Quantum of Solace.

I do, but really wish I didn't...

Offline shock

  • Poster Child
  • ***
  • Posts: 994
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »
I really enjoyed it. 

Here's my ranking of the Daniel Craig films:
1. Casino Royale
2. Skyfall
|
|
|
|
|
480. Quantum of Solace
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline gpw11

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7,182
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 07:04:56 PM »
Kind of related:


I've never seen Quantum of Solace, should I even bother?

Offline scottws

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,610
    • Facebook Me
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 11:02:45 PM »
I loved Casino Royale and liked Quantum of Solace well enough.  But I loathed Skyfall.  It was absolutely horrible.

Offline Cools!

  • Administrator
  • Veteran
  • *
  • Posts: 1,628
  • Let's burn.
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »
I watched Skyfall last night and found it ok. I thought the cinematography was great and loved the main villain. However I found the plot boring and it felt more like a thriller than an actual James Bond movie. If I had to pick I'd probably prefer to watch Quantum of Solace again: more action and Bond Girls.

Offline shock

  • Poster Child
  • ***
  • Posts: 994
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 07:05:59 PM »
I loved Casino Royale and liked Quantum of Solace well enough.  But I loathed Skyfall.  It was absolutely horrible.

What killed it for you?  Plot?
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline scottws

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,610
    • Facebook Me
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 08:17:04 PM »
Pretty much.

[spoiler]Like Cools said, it seemed too much like a thriller and the plot quite frankly was completely stupid.  To be fair, the plot in Quantum of Solace is almost incomprehensible but at least the movie was highly entertaining otherwise.  The first half of the movie plays like some rip off of Mission: Impossible and then at some point the part about the hard drive and the safety of the agents is just discarded and then it becomes about some lame vendetta an old agent has against M.  The end reminds me of a violent take on Home Alone.  It's just bad.

I also didn't like the return to the more traditional Bond-like stuff in this new chapter.  This includes the shaken vodka martini, Q, a car with machine guns, Moneypenny, and a disfigured villan.  In the first two Daniel Craig Bond movies, they purposely avoid using or make fun of some of the old Bond staples, but now they are incorporating it?  Why the sudden about face?  Speaking of Q, what the hell was the point of his character in Skyfall?  In other Bond movies, Q is the guy that humorously demonstrates ridiculous gadgets and that's about it.  In this one he seems to be some quirky hacker that really serves little purpose, but they give him many brief, pointless scenes.

I thought that CR and QoS were nice fresh takes on the series and I don't really understand why they are going back to the old mechanics, especially when they left pieces of the plot from CR and QoS unresolved (such as who shot the guy in the desert)?  And if you are going back to the old mechanics, ditch the emotional stuff.  Pre-Craig Bond didn't get attached to people or cry (except for Lazenby).[/spoiler]

Offline ren

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,673
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 05:51:52 PM »
I really liked the movie. Not as good as Casino Royale but far better than Quantum of Solace. I don't see the point in comparing it to the old Bond movies since they're such different beasts that at this point only the names are common ground.

Not really spoilers at all but in spoiler tags anyways:

[spoiler] I really loved how the exotic locale that every Bond movie has was simply London this time around. It was a really nice change of pace and I really enjoyed seeing places that I knew well on the big screen. [/spoiler]


Offline scottws

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,610
    • Facebook Me
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #14 on: Friday, December 07, 2012, 06:11:21 AM »
I've spent some time surfing the 'Net and people are saying this is the greatest Bond movie ever.  I don't get it.  I've been disappointed in hyped-up movies before, but I can't remember a time I absolutely hated a movie everyone else raves about.

When I read these positive comments I replay the movie in my head trying to see if maybe I was just looking with too critical an eye, but in doing so I just remind myself how terrible of a movie it was.

I guess it seems there is a faction of Bond fans that hated CR and QoS because they weren't conventional Bond movies.  That was the whole damn point!  And that's why I liked them.  I like the old Bond movies too, but it was nice to see a fresh take on the character.  If they wanted to bend to the upset fans and go back to the old staples, couldn't they have waited until after Skyfall when another actor takes the helm?

Edit:  This is exactly how I feel.  [SPOILERS]
« Last Edit: Friday, December 07, 2012, 07:12:49 AM by scottws »

Offline Cools!

  • Administrator
  • Veteran
  • *
  • Posts: 1,628
  • Let's burn.
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #15 on: Friday, December 07, 2012, 09:33:05 AM »
Haha, I agree with that rant.

Offline Xessive

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9,920
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, December 08, 2012, 01:27:11 AM »
That's almost exactly how I feel about Crank.

Offline Cobra951

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8,934
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 07:11:36 AM »
I've spent some time surfing the 'Net and people are saying this is the greatest Bond movie ever.  I don't get it.  I've been disappointed in hyped-up movies before, but I can't remember a time I absolutely hated a movie everyone else raves about.

When I read these positive comments I replay the movie in my head trying to see if maybe I was just looking with too critical an eye, but in doing so I just remind myself how terrible of a movie it was.

I guess it seems there is a faction of Bond fans that hated CR and QoS because they weren't conventional Bond movies.  That was the whole damn point!  And that's why I liked them.  I like the old Bond movies too, but it was nice to see a fresh take on the character.  If they wanted to bend to the upset fans and go back to the old staples, couldn't they have waited until after Skyfall when another actor takes the helm?

Edit:  This is exactly how I feel.  [SPOILERS]

I have to say that I agree with you, sort of.  I'm used to James Bond movies being silly in one way or another, so I don't get too disappointed with plot holes or unbelievable events.  I liked the movie enough to sit through all of it and get sucked into the story, disjointed though it was.  I too wondered where the heck the events at the beginning fit into the rest of the movie.  (Turns out they didn't.)  I sort of forgot about them until after it was all over, then it hit me.  So I came here, read your big spoiler post for the first time, and yep--you're right!  Good thing the actors and performances were first-rate.  That went a long way in making up for the story's shortcomings.

The scathing hate you linked to here goes way too far.  It's hard to fathom why some people still get their panties in a bunch over Bond's easy way with women, after 50 years of this talent being central to the character.  Everyone accepts that Batman can beat up a roomful of guys, but no one can accept that another fantasy superhero without real powers has charisma off the charts, and can charm the pants off of the opposite sex?  I guess it's the times that we live in, where "misogyny" is more overused than "trending".

Offline iPPi

  • Senior Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3,159
  • Roar!
Re: Skyfall
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, February 23, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
I finally got a chance to see this.  I echo some of the comments on this thread. 

Overall, I didn't like the film.  It just felt... off.  To me, there wasn't a cohesive narrative and it just felt like a series of scenes that are poorly linked together.  The villain also reminds me a lot of the Joker in The Dark Knight as well.  The ending was also very disappointing.  After all that work and effort spent, [spoiler]M still dies[/spoiler].  What a waste of time.

The only thing I like about Skyfall though is Bond's tux that he was wearing.  I really dig the navy blue with the black shawl lapel.  It's too bad that it's made by Tom Ford, which means it'll be about $4,500.  That's outside my price range.