Author Topic: Atari is going down...  (Read 6477 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Atari is going down...
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, November 10, 2007, 08:36:08 PM »
I'm down, idol.  Will you be doing the graphics?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, November 10, 2007, 11:55:31 PM »
Sure...if you can call them that. More like random blotches of color.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 10:20:26 AM »
That's cool of you to post that and that you got to work with them back in their glory days.  Does that say Cribbage on the bottom of the brass plate?  I've never even played the real life version of that game before.  Also why does it say Consumer?

I totally misunderstood the question, sorry.  "Consumer" is the division or category.  I forget how the whole thing was organized now.  APX (Atari Program Exchange) was created as away for freelance developers to create and sell Atari-micro software.  Part of a program was a quarterly contest for best products.  I think they had 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Cribbage is a very fun card game where you use a peg board to "race" your opponent to the finish.  You get points for different combinations of cards.  The trick is that your hand, including the hole card, needs to be combined into every possible combination.  If you miss any, your opponent can take those points.

Wiki to the rescue.  It would take me forever to describe it all.  I learned the game when I first moved to this area.  I used to play with friends and the family of the one friend's house where we always congregated.  They had this enormous cribbage board, which made stealing points all the more dramatic.  Grab the peg with your fist and slam it ahead.  Man, really good times.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 10:40:11 AM »
Well Cobra, Crimsonland wasnt much more than whats in that zombie test and it did quite well for itself. A more freeroaming Crimsonland-style game with zombies would be pretty cool. Explore a city, find weapons, kill zombies, attempt to locate some way out.

But I wasnt suggesting using that engine, just using it a simple gameplay demonstration. It'd be fairly easy to expand on it.

But you'd be amazed at what people buy. Bejeweled, anyone? Or Alice Greenfingers. That game is pretty crap but quite popular. Seriously, play the demo and tell me if you'd pay money for it. I'll give you a hint: you wouldn't.

Que, we totally need to do the point-and-click adventure thing. I know we could make something kickass.

That's why I mentioned frenzied activity before.  I was thinking Crimsonland.  I'm aware of the exceptional cases like Bejeweled.  Such games have something unique about them that hooks people.  That's what we would need to find in new entries to the casual genre.  And that's the toughest part, assuming we're sticking to 2D mechanics.

Point-and-click adventures are no exception.  They've been done to death, and for one to stand out it needs to be something like Sam & Max--funny, witty, without taking itself seriously.  The genre is too old for seriousness, at least if one important intention is sales.  That's one opinion anyway.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 11:11:10 AM »
Bringing the topic back to Atari, it's interesting to note that the Witcher's "censorship" may have been due to their financial problems, i.e. not wanting to pay for a full recording of the full script in the English, hence having the whole thing chopped down.  I've looked over transcripts, and while it seemed like a stupid argument at first, it seems they really *did* cut a lot of stuff out to make it shorter, and making it shorter was exactly what Atari asked CD Projekt to do.  So... that kind of fucking sucks.  There's a lot of hate for Atari out there right now, not just in relation to what they may have done with the Witcher, and it leaves me kind of wondering what other nefarious deeds they may have done (and whether or not we should be sorry to see them go).

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 04:56:47 PM »
Bringing the topic back to Atari, it's interesting to note that the Witcher's "censorship" may have been due to their financial problems, i.e. not wanting to pay for a full recording of the full script in the English, hence having the whole thing chopped down.  I've looked over transcripts, and while it seemed like a stupid argument at first, it seems they really *did* cut a lot of stuff out to make it shorter, and making it shorter was exactly what Atari asked CD Projekt to do.  So... that kind of fucking sucks.  There's a lot of hate for Atari out there right now, not just in relation to what they may have done with the Witcher, and it leaves me kind of wondering what other nefarious deeds they may have done (and whether or not we should be sorry to see them go).

I wouldn't be surprised that if say Atari goes under, CDPR released the rest of the "Original English Subtitled Script" as one of those "game extensions" they plan to release in due time.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 08:49:48 PM »