Author Topic: Portal 2 Revealed  (Read 1549 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Portal 2 Revealed
« on: Friday, February 22, 2008, 03:28:22 PM »
No surprise to me, but I'm glad to hear this.

Portal 2 was revealed.

Portal 2 Revealed [February 22, 2008, 09:34 am ET] - Viewing Comments

Portal 2 is in the works, this was revealed by Valve's Kim Swift on last night's episode of G4's X-Play. There have already been indications that more gameplay in the inter-dimensional puzzler is coming, but this is the first word that this will take the form of a full-blown sequel.

The relevant quote comes at the 2:50 mark in the 3:05 clip: "Well, uh, I think… I believe Doug Lombardi, who is our lead marketing director at Valve, has announced Portal 2, so…" He hadn't actually, but that cat is now out of the bag.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Portal 2 Revealed
« Reply #1 on: Friday, February 22, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »
I'm afraid that Portal as an IP may become overexposed.  It was a novel concept, and worked perfectly as a 3 hour game.  But I think they're really going to milk it for all its worth until it loses what made it popular to begin with.

See:  Katamari Damacy

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Friday, February 22, 2008, 03:58:42 PM »
A sequel?  How about just release some levels?  It's just a puzzle game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Friday, February 22, 2008, 07:29:43 PM »
Meh.  The first one didn't even interest me.  Everyone said I didn't play far enough, and I feel like I didn't quite give it a fair shot... but I was pretty bored for the first half hour, so nothing makes me want to load it up again.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, February 22, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
God damn it, you need to load it up and play further. You havent even reached the part that makes it special.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Friday, February 22, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »
I'm curious how they're going to bring out the story. I wonder if they'll make a direct link to Half-Life's story.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Friday, February 22, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »
Damnit Que, you need to play.

And I have to agree with K-Man.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 24, 2008, 09:53:37 PM »
I personally agree.  I'd actually go so far as to say it's already played out.  It's a good little game, and it's done very well, but internet nerds have fucking ground it into the ground by repeating every line of dialog in the three hour affair over and over again. I've probably spent more time being subjected to idiots slipping in little Potal quotes into article comment sections than I have actually playing the game. 

Then every little thing that has anything to do with Portal at all gets praised to high heaven.  PLUSH COMPANION CUBES?!?!? HAHAHAHAHA, I'M MAKING A NOTE HERE: HUGE SUCCESS!!  Then everyone has to post little videos of flash animation videos of the ending song, all of which fucking suck (which is hard considering the low tech approach taken by the original).  See the VG Cats on this for an example.  Oh, and the song isn't that fucking great.  It was cool to listen to at the end of the game, especially when you weren't expecting it, but it's not a life-changing experience, we don't need to talk about it constantly, and why the fuck would you ever pay for a Rock Band version of it?   

The game was good for what it was, but fuck internet nerds totally killed it before it's time.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 24, 2008, 11:09:08 PM »
Man don't get me started on the plush companion cubes. Every corner of the bloody internet has people claiming they are willing to spend upwards of $100 for this thing.

Anyway Que, I really think you need to force your way through the game. It is quite good, as long as you don't expect it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 06:24:25 AM »
I'm with gpw on this.  It was a good puzzle game in an era where there is a dearth of puzzle games.  It's also pretty creative in many ways.  But dear lord people, it's not the second coming of Christ!