Author Topic: So Hellboy II was actually pretty kickass.  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
So Hellboy II was actually pretty kickass.
« on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »
Definitely better than the first, though I enjoyed the first more than some.  Definitely worth seeing, though.  Lots of special effects, of course, but done in a very compelling way, more so than most of the other effects movies I've seen.  Very very nice art design on most of it, and that's actually funny... when seeing the commercials and trailers, my first thought was "Damn, some of this totally looks like Wayne Barlowe" (yes, I have an amazing speech-to-hyperlink ability), and it turns out, he did work on the first Hellboy movie, and he was a concept artist on this one!  There are several designs in the movie that look very, very much like something he'd work on, and since I've become a huge fan of his over the years, it was cool to see something of his show up in a movie.  I'm mostly familiar with him because of the aforelinked book, Brushfire, and his book of aliens, so I don't know what other work he's really done.  I'm sure he's been involved in a film or two by this point.  A big surprise to me, however, was to just now discover that he's also done fiction.  How the fuck did I miss that, especially when his portraits of demons and landscapes of Hell amount to my favorite works of his?  I have to go buy that, like, right now.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: So Hellboy II was actually pretty kickass.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 04:28:15 PM »
I just saw this yesterday as well and I pretty much agree with you.  It was a great movie and much better than the first.  I was also surprised to see Barlowe's name in the credits as well.  I didn't know he worked on the first one though.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 09:04:30 PM »
I can't wait to see this then.  The first movie wasn't great, but I liked it well enough.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 10:24:11 PM »
I'd say if you found the first movie to be good fun, if shallow, then you'll definitely enjoy this one.  The art is way better, the effects are not only more spectacular, they're more artistic and worthy, the plot is decent, and the movie is actually surprisingly hilarious at times.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »
If any of you enjoy this movie or even the first one, you might want to consider picking up one of the many volumes of the Hellboy comic.  I have the first six volumes and I love reading them again from time to time.  I need to get the other volumes that are out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 10:41:46 PM »
I've got virtually no experience with anything Hellboy outside of the movies and the animated ones they did.  But Julia likes it all quite a bit, so I was thinking she might dig the comics.  How do they compare to the films?  I imagine they're better and more interesting, but I mean in terms of general content.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 10:56:55 PM »
I've got virtually no experience with anything Hellboy outside of the movies and the animated ones they did.  But Julia likes it all quite a bit, so I was thinking she might dig the comics.  How do they compare to the films?  I imagine they're better and more interesting, but I mean in terms of general content.

It's got a lot of the same type of humor as the movies, but more of it.  There's also a lot more character development, especially where Hellboy is concerned and his constant dilemma with how he helps humankind and bad guys trying to use him to bring about the apocalypse.  There is also a lot of different folklore, legends, and myths from all over the world incorporated in the stories too.  The comics also have a lot of lighter short stories that are usually really funny and not as heavy as the main stories.  I personally like the art, but some people have gripes with it.  To be fair, it is a kind of unusual art style but it definitely fits the story it is telling.  If you or Julia is interested, just start off with Vol 1: Seed of Destruction and go from there.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 10:59:48 PM »
Sounds like good stuff to me... I'll have to check it out.  I haven't been to the comic shop for a while.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, July 19, 2008, 06:24:43 PM »
Megan and I saw it, we really enjoyed it, Megan thought it was like the best thing ever.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, July 19, 2008, 11:02:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Scary claimed Megan. You need to find a new girlfriend with a different name.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 04:35:09 PM »
I just watched this HB2 movie on DVD.
Another totally kick-ass Hellboy movie.
I tell you, Del Toro is an awesome director.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 01:51:35 AM »
Yeah, I saw this a while ago after the bar.  I totally didn't pass out which is like my stamp of quality.