Author Topic: How do you guys like your ps3's?  (Read 3160 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
How do you guys like your ps3's?
« on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 09:01:31 AM »
So, I'm thinking of trading in my broken xbox 360, and using my $70 rebate card from verizon on a PS3.

Just wondering if you guys like yours? I mean, blue-ray is a big plus. I have to play "The Last Guardian" when it comes out. I want to get Infamous, and play MGS. MAG comes out soon, blah blah blah. And I'm really interested in watching some Fringe avi's on it. 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: How do you guys like your ps3's?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 09:21:39 AM »
Can't you get your 360 repaired Scary?

I think the PS3 could be a decent investment with some of the things to come, but so far as things stand now, there is little reason to own both consoles.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 09:42:39 AM »
It would have cost me $130 to fix it. So I just bought an arcade version around when Batman came out.

But I still have this old one that's dead. I can trade it in at a little hole in the wall game trading place for $60. He refurbishes them and sells them. I have that, coupled with a refund gift card thing that I got from Verzion for $70, and it's burning a hole in my pocket. So I'm thinkig of picking up a PS3 slim and Infamous.
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 10:32:17 AM by ScaryTooth »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 10:28:29 AM »
I'd say go for it. I'm really liking my PS3, and its got a good selection of exclusives (including the downloadable PSN games).

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »
I prefer it over my Xbox now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 12:51:07 PM »
I've preferred mine over my 360 for quite a long time.  I don't buy games for my 360 anymore unless they're exclusives, and even those are a hard sell since I know the thing may die at any time.  PS3 has some good exclusives, the library is solid, and the multiplayer is free.  Hard to go wrong in my book.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 02:38:08 PM »
Go for it, man.

I have no regrets with mine! Well, just one tiny remorse: I got the Japanese one so the Confirm and Cancel buttons are reversed. Besides that I love it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 03:53:20 PM »
I want one....but sadly it's going to have to wait at least a year since I also have to buy a TV and that keeps getting pushed back.  Kind of related but kind of not;  what's the name of that Sega SRPG that's really good? 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »
Uh... Valkyria Chronicles?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 04:50:58 PM »
Yeah, if anyone sees that on sale for these apparently ridiculously reduced clear out prices they should pick me up a copy which I will then pay them for (and shipping...and gas?).  That'd be sweet because I can't find it here.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 07:04:43 PM »
I might take you up on that, but what if I stop on the way to see a hooker? Would you pay for that as well? Bear in mind it usually costs extra to persuade them to put on the outfits I bring along.

As for my PS3...no complaints. Don't buy one refurbished, I've had some problems because of that.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 08:45:40 PM »
I've been loving my PS3 since I've had it.  I do a good mix of things with it.  I'm actually playing Valkryia Chronicles now and loving it.  Also, I'll keep an eye for another $20 copy GPW.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 08:12:44 PM »
Couldn't pick one up last week because of a little car problem which ended up costing me almost $600 to fix...

So, I'm thinking this weekend. But I told myself I have to get my peer review done, and an 1800 word essay done before I buy it. I'm thinking Demon Soul's and Uncharted 2 now.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #13 on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 10:07:18 PM »
Those two are the two big exclusives for the PS3 this year.  And they do look fantastic.  I've ordered Demon's Souls already and waiting for it to ship -- it's apparently not too easy to find in some places.  Uncharted 2 should definitely be worth buying, but probably not a first day buy for me anymore.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 12, 2009, 05:09:21 PM »
So, I finally picked one up. NO ONE has, Demon's Soul. So, I ended up getting, InFamous. Which I am totally digging. Been playing it for the better part of the day, and it freaking rocks! I love just jumping around the city, and fryin' dudes. Cut scenes are cool and stylized, story is interesting so far.

And I ordered Demon's Soul on newegg tonight. So that should be here in a couple days. Think I'm gonna pick up MGS4, and Valkyria Chronicles here soon too.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 12, 2009, 06:00:31 PM by ScaryTooth »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Monday, October 12, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »
Awesome dude, hope it treats you well.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 02:38:30 AM »
Haven't really announced it on the boards yet, but yea, I got one too!

Picked it up along with MGS4 and Uncharted. Really wanting Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 now. I know Best Buy has been have a buy 2, get a 3rd game free for $60 dollar titles, if they are still doing that by this coming weekend, I may just pick up Uncharted 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Killzone 2.

It's a good little system, all snazzy, I got it hooked in with my network so I can play stuff off the PC, that was a snap. The only current problem I'm having at the moment is trying to get PSN to accept my billing information. It seems to be a problem with a bunch of users, and the only solution thats worked is that the information as to be exact, and I have my statement, and I have put it in exactly as its shown and it still won't go in. So yea, for now I can't buy anything, and I'm wanting to check out Fat Princess.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 03:02:04 AM »
The only current problem I'm having at the moment is trying to get PSN to accept my billing information. It seems to be a problem with a bunch of users, and the only solution thats worked is that the information as to be exact, and I have my statement, and I have put it in exactly as its shown and it still won't go in. So yea, for now I can't buy anything, and I'm wanting to check out Fat Princess.

Yeah, I had that problem too when I first started, I had to try several times but finally got it by putting my address and apt number all on one line instead of using the second line for the apt number.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 02:05:09 PM »
I decided to hijack this thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm thinking of buying a PS3 as a secondary system (well, putting it on my Amazon wishlist for now, in case anyone gets spend-happy for Christmas). I'd still probably get my multiplatform games on 360 since I prefer the controller and have some friends on there that I play with, but I need Uncharted, Resistance, and a few others. So should I go for the 120GB or 250GB?

My 360's drive stays below 10GB free most of the time (60GB drive). I use it for installing games (2-3 at a time), XBLA games, indie games, demos, and I even have one Games on Demand full game download (Mass Effect). I'd say that for me, there's no such thing as enough HDD space on the 360. Would I find the PS3 similar, or is 120GB enough?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 02:27:11 PM »
Judging from Sony's general inclination toward digital distribution (especially with all the mini-games and PS1 emulations) I'd say go with 250GB. Also with the PS3 most games require an install anyway (some have it as an option to help improve load times), ranging from 1GB all the way to 5GB+ (MGS4). I've got the 40GB drive and I have to consistently clear stuff out.

I think it is also possible with the PS3 Slim to just install your own hard drive. Assuming the price difference between the 120GB and the 250GB is more than the cost of a 250GB/320GB slim drive it would be worthwhile.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 07:02:42 PM »
It's possible to install your own with any PS3.  They take laptop drives.  I think I'm gonna' need to get one soon.  I've had to clear out installs and stuff.  I forget what model I have, to be honest with you.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #21 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »
It depends on how much you intend to use your PS3.  I have the 80GB model and I've managed to keep about 35-40GB free so far.  I haven't really gotten into the PSN offerings like Trine and Shatter yet though.  Most games have an install, but they're usually very reasonable at about 500MB to 1.5 GB at most.  MGS4 was a little ridiculous with 5GB.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 07:19:27 PM »
Yeah, that's not totally true.  I have a number of games taking up well over 2 gigs.  I had to remove a few of them recently to get some other stuff updated (I hadn't really cleaned it since I bought it though, to be fair, and I have quite a few PSN games downloaded).

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »
Xbox 360 game installs take like 5-8 gigs lol. Of course, they are optional, but they help with load times.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #24 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 07:34:20 PM »
I thought the Xbox installs just dump the contents of the disk to the HDD and the disk is just used to authenticate that you have a legitimate copy of the game.

Anyway, not every game for the PS3 installs data.  Demon's Souls didn't and it's very clear that Uncharted 1 and 2 do not utilize installs. MGS4 does.  I currently have 40GB/74GB free on my PS3.  I have several videos saved to my PS3 HD as well.

I just did a check of the games I have installed:
Resistance - 220MB
Mirror's Edge - 530MB
Uncharted - 13MB (patch)
Uncharted 2 - 50MB (patch + 20MB install)
Dead Space - 11MB (DLC)
Batman Arkham Asylum - 3.8GB (with Joker and 2 DLC map packs)
Assassin's Creed 2 - 1.5GB
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 5.1GB
WipEout HD - 1GB
Final Fantasy VII - 1.3GB

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #25 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 07:36:39 PM »
I've got an 80gigger *high fives iPPi* and its been more than enough for me. I have had to delete stuff, but thats because I download lots of movies and demos at once and leave them on there for way too long. 120 I think would be plenty.

Are there any feature differences besides just the hdd size? When I got mine in addition to the bigger hdd than others, it had a card reader(useless).

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 08:19:06 PM »
Yea the 360 installs just dump everything to the HDD, adn it reads from there. In contrast to the list above, my 360 install sizes are:

Assassin's Creed 2 - 5.2 gig
Borderlads - 3.3 gig
Fallout 3 - 7.7 gig (with all DLC)
Modern Warfare 2 - 6.8 gig
Mass Effect - 6.8 gig (full game via DD)
Gears of War - 329 mb (2 map packs, no install)
Gears of War 2 - 230 mb (2 map packs, no install)
Halo 3 - 1 gig (2 map packs, no install)
Left 4 Dead - 101 mb (just that first addon that was free and added the survival mode, no install)
Shadow Complex - 835mb

And I have like 2 gigs worth of demos.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #27 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 08:59:43 PM »
Anyone else see the "Consoles are transforming into PC's" pattern? Well, oversimplified PC's anyway.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 09:12:45 PM »
Anyone else see the "Consoles are transforming into PC's" pattern? Well, oversimplified PC's anyway.

Yup. Addon packs, expansions, patches, installs, firmware updates. They're a hell of a lot quicker and easier to get stuff working on though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 09:41:55 PM »
Yea the 360 installs just dump everything to the HDD, adn it reads from there. In contrast to the list above, my 360 install sizes are:

Assassin's Creed 2 - 5.2 gig
Borderlads - 3.3 gig
Fallout 3 - 7.7 gig (with all DLC)
Modern Warfare 2 - 6.8 gig
Mass Effect - 6.8 gig (full game via DD)
Gears of War - 329 mb (2 map packs, no install)
Gears of War 2 - 230 mb (2 map packs, no install)
Halo 3 - 1 gig (2 map packs, no install)
Left 4 Dead - 101 mb (just that first addon that was free and added the survival mode, no install)
Shadow Complex - 835mb

And I have like 2 gigs worth of demos.

I love the concept of the full dump.  Once installed, when you launch the game, the DVD spins a bit for copy protection check, then halts completely.  No more turbine on my desk!  The problem is that I have the 13-GB HDD, and I don't want to pay the ridiculous price for one of the bigger drives.  It's all moot now that my second 360 is dying.  I'll get a Jasper arcade unit at some point, maybe.  Maybe not.  Maybe fuck Microsoft entirely.  Who knows?  Why am I here?  *Sneaks away*

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:01:25 AM »
Just wanted to say that I love this thing. Just got Star Trek on Blu-ray. Off the chain! Sooo pleased with my purchase. I can't decide whether to get AC2 for Xbox 360 or PS3.

I think if I want a game for MP, I'll go with 360 as I like the online a little better than PS3. But for the SP experiences, gonna have to hit up the PS3 versions.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 06:29:59 AM »
My one gripe with the PS3 is that when multiplatform games are put up side to side they are either equal, or the 360 is better. When the PS3 came out it was supposed to be this super machine capable of feats never seen before. Now it seems like a thorn in the side of developers who are happy when a game is just as good as the 360.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 06:33:45 AM »
Yea I really love this. The PS3 slim is so sleek and futuristic looking. It has a really nice clean look.

I've used this for everything except gaming, and I love it. It is vastly superior to the 360. Then again, this is a new revision, and the first revision was already a year ahead to be fair.

What I really love is how I can watch my favorite TV shows on the USB flash drive.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 07:42:11 AM »
Not all games are equal.  There are a number of circumstances where the PS3 port is better.  Not a ton, but you can't really blame the system for it.  Most developers are content with getting things up to snuff and leaving it at that.  The PS3 is supposed to be harder to develop for, which I guess is why.  But Dragon Age is improved over the 360 version from what I've seen of it, The Darkness didn't have as many problems on PS3, and Eternal Sonata was better on PS3 (even aside from the extra content it received -- supposedly the whole thing is cleaner, better animated, and better looking overall).  There are a few others, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Honestly, though, the exclusives on PS3 are much better than 360 at this point.  Most of the 360 exclusives feel very samey.  It's a lot of shooters and RPGs.  The PS3 is starting to follow the same pattern as the PS2, with some interesting niche-y kinds of games that actually try to do something different.  I think this is due in large part to the fact that Japanese game design, while stagnant in some ways, is still doing much better than most as far as new twists and interesting ideas, where much US design has really ceased to innovate in favor of pushing out the same shit time and again because it's such a big business now.  There are a number of cool things being worked on in Japan for PS3 that haven't come over here yet but hopefully will.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 07:47:15 AM »
I agree with you on the exclusives bit. Demon's Souls is just awesome. It's not just a little awesome either, its one of those games that you know could never be made in the US by anyone interested in making bank.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:19:26 PM »
Criterion solved the issue by making the PS3 the lead platform for Burnout Paradise.  Take the bitch out of the equation up front, then deal with multiplatform issues.