Author Topic: Personal impact from Nashville's 13" of rain  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Personal impact from Nashville's 13" of rain
« on: Tuesday, May 04, 2010, 10:27:27 AM »
Sandy's daughter & family were caught in the flood.  They called to say the water was rising, and it was nearing their doorstep.  Later we learned that they had to run out the back door and climb a hill to a neighbor's house on higher ground, with a baby and Pomeranian in tow.  They had called 911, but no one came until much later.  The water ended up doorknob height into their first floor.  Both cars were still in the garage.  They're shorted out.  I imagine any computer chips are fried.  Mold and bugs became a problem quickly after the waters receded.  Sandy got an SOS call early yesterday morning.  By 10:30 AM, we were on the road in a borrowed Tahoe with over 40 gallons of water (the greatest need) and some food.

I was surprised that we made it into Nashville with little trouble.  I expected Katrina, but (1) the waters receded quickly, (2) only parts of the city are disaster areas, unlike the impression you get from the news, and (3) Nashville is very different from New Orleans, people-wise.  We didn't try to go into their neighborhood, though.  The son-in-law's mother made it there before, and they drove out to meet us at a Kroger parking lot.  He ended up staying for the cleanup and other duties.  We drove back with the daughter and baby (and the dog).  Made it in about 10:30 PM.  12 hours of driving, and I feel like I got off so easy.

I can't imagine what a mess they have to deal with now.  To make matters worse, they had sold that house, contingent on inspection, which was scheduled for today.  They had already chosen a house to buy where they're moving soon.  My heart goes out to them.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Personal impact from Nashville's 13" of rain
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 04, 2010, 11:26:59 AM »
Wow... I don't know what to say... I've been caught in a flood in my car... my car was floating with water up till the windshield, I kid you not... plus it was completely dark as they had turned off power after some current had gone through the water and killed some people. It was the most frightening experience of my life in absolute darkness... It was something that gave me a bit of phobia as well.

Many days after, whenever in the car, if I would see some water on the road, I'd start feeling water under my feet even though there was obviously none.

Anyway... that is horrible. Hope they pull out of this well.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 04, 2010, 12:20:24 PM »
I didn't know that.  It must have been horrible.  The only time I was the victim of water, a washing machine hose burst and some of the junk in the basement floated to the floor drain and clogged it.  We had to drag everything out and dry it.  After that, nothing but steel-braided hoses for me.

I forgot to mention their electricity went out too.  The power substation is still underwater.  Hellish all around.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 04, 2010, 12:35:04 PM »
It sucked ass.  I spent the majority of Sunday evening helping keep flood waters out of our office.  Our town square flooded, receded, and then flooded again.  I've lived here all my life and have never seen anything like this.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 04, 2010, 06:19:31 PM »
That's crazy.  Sucks.  I don't know what to say... California and all.  I have no experience with this sort of thing.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 04, 2010, 06:48:54 PM »
Yea, I lived there my whole life and I've never heard of anything like that and I just happened to move before it all hit. My friend was telling me that the county where my Mom lives and where I grew up at were only down to one water pump since the rest had flooded, if that last pump went down they would have been fucked.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 04, 2010, 07:11:09 PM »
That's crazy.  Sucks.  I don't know what to say... California and all.  I have no experience with this sort of thing.

Just experience with everything else.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 04, 2010, 09:17:53 PM »
Crazy stuff. My parents were in TN this weekend to see my cousin graduate and got to see everything first hand sort of as outsiders. A lot of what they saw as more or less people lost or unable to get to their homes. There was a lot of community organization it seemed with others helping those around them and impromptu signs to steer people away from the worst areas. The graduation was delayed a day and even then a lot of students were missing as they couldn't make the trek from their homes to the ceremony. My uncle home in the state was fine because he was slightly on a hill. However, just a block or two away was flood to the point where the hill seemed almost like an island. They way my mom described it reminded me of Ponyo (if anyone saw that).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 05, 2010, 10:13:22 PM »
Now I've seen Ponyo.  More kiddie than his other movies, but still outstanding stuff.

I found out today that there was no flood insurance.  The house was not on the flood plain.  They may look into just handing the bank the property deed and walking away.  They're hiring a real-estate attorney.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, May 06, 2010, 09:29:30 AM »
They may get some government assistance since it's been declared a disaster area.  That alone may not be enough to help though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, May 06, 2010, 10:27:40 AM »
I was hoping FEMA would step up to the plate.  In the end, they will be OK.  They are both doctors, though still young and paying their dues.  He's a cardiologist, and she's a pediatric anesthesiologist.  They were leaving Nashville behind in a few months anyway.  They didn't want to leave like this, though.  Damn.