Author Topic: Counter-Strike (original 1.6) to get in-game ads  (Read 1891 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Counter-Strike (original 1.6) to get in-game ads
« on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 06:52:56 PM »
From bad to worse.

Doug Lombardi: The current plan is to put ads in a few different places. There will be some ads posted on walls in the game world, an ad on the scoreboard screen, and one in the letterboxed area of Spectator mode.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Counter-Strike (original 1.6) to get in-game ads
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 06:59:37 PM »
Lame.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 07:59:36 PM »
I know it's really old, but that is pretty damn lame. For those who do still play it, I hope at the very least the advertising is not obstructive.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 08:26:25 PM »
Pieces of shit.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 08:35:54 PM »
Oh, and this is why this shit goes in. Heres some responses to my post on IGN.

As long as the ads are only on walls with places that already have (fake) ads I won't care.

Now, I try to usually be really diplomatic, but in a case like this, I really can't think of anything else to say but:

Who gives a *&@#? Seriously? These are urban environments. If you had, say, World of Warcraft, and you were casting Cheetos on an enemy player in order to distract and STUN HIM WITH CHEESY GOODNESS, you'd have a point. But this will in no way distract or detract from the gaming 'experience.' If I had to complain about something, I don't like the idea of having letterbox ads in Spec, but that's it. I don't really even care if a penny of this reaches mod teams or not. If it does, great! If not -- if all of it goes to Gabe Newell's weekly outings to Chuck E. Cheese, so what?

CS is a free mod for HL1....

Last one was from Ominous in response to my post of: I have a problem with them changing the rules after I've already paid money. Like, I don't like the ads in BF2142 so I simply won't purchase BF2142. CS? I paid for it long ago. I have no choice in the matter other than to stop playing.

Gotta hand it to Ominous to see the trees and not the forest.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 08:52:14 PM »
Dumb fuckers like that are who will be ruining this for the rest of us shortly.  Mark my words.  No backlash = more ads, and you can sure as hell bet they'll be stepping up the level of intrusiveness.  Give it a few years and even SP games are going to feature ads for the loading screens.  Fight it now or get raped later.  Those are your choices.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 09, 2006, 11:23:43 AM »
That's pretty stupid.  CS did have those fake ads for some sites (maybe they were real at one time?), which  have literally become part of the background.  I don't even see them.  There are also ways of some servers putting their own ads in, floating in the air or on a wall or something.  There are sometimes ads when you're loading the game too.  I mean, if the ads stick to the general subtleness of the ones already in there, then I have no problem, because they're really unobtrusive.  I hope they dont suck though.

And why 1.6 and not source?