Author Topic: Let's talk about some State of Decay!  (Read 3583 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Let's talk about some State of Decay!
« on: Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 08:29:11 AM »
Alright so a couple years ago this game was released on Xbox Live then a little later on Steam. I'll put it this way, if you don't want to mess with any of that early access multiplayer bullshit that's been hitting Steam like the bubonic plague, then buy this shit... or better yet, wait about a week and a half till the remastered release comes out on Steam...

because it is awesome! It is fully featured, it's not broken, and you actually fight zombies! Not idiot fuckwits over the internet. Seriously it is the best zombie survival game I have always wanted, I must have put over 100 hours into it. I wish there was a co-op option in there but it just pulls off that genre so well that I don't care because barely any other game has touched it. Check this game out!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 08:51:20 AM by PyroMenace »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Let's talk about some State of Decay!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 09:39:16 AM »
I am interested.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »
bought it on 360 at launch
bought it on Steam later
have it pre-ordered on Xbox One

The zombie game is the real deal. Build up a community, manage resources like food and building materials. Use the building materials and fuel to expand your base with things like a first aid station, sniper lookout tower, a shop for making molotovs, suppressors and other weapons. Deal with the people in the community, who sometimes freak out and run off on their own, or sometimes have a fight with another community member and need calming down. Careful, if your medical expert runs off or dies, your first aid station suffers. Help other survivor groups in the area and sometimes they'll join you. You scrounge for materials and micro manage your base. When you get tired or die, you switch to a different character in your community, so not only is there safety in numbers, but they work like extra lives too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 03:25:07 PM »
I'm really getting tired of these Original Editions coming out...and then a year or two later they get HD Re-Release Remastered Super Edition bullshit.

Deus Ex: HR DC, Sleeping Dogs: Definitive, Metro 2033: Redux, Metro LL: Redux, Dark Souls: Scholar of the Sins Edition - I'm looking at all of you.
And now adding State of Decay: Year One to this list.

I already own State of Decay PC + Breakdown DLC - so, this bloody sucks.
Good thing I didn't spend too much on it.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »
I feel like it really is a console thing. These new versions are so people can play them on their newer consoles and they'll look better. The benefits aren't as prominent for PC users, but there are some changes, so it gets released there too, at the same price of course.

BTW the $30 price tag gets knocked down to $20 if you already own the old version of the game (doesn't matter if you own any DLC). So if you picked it up on Steam when it was $5, overall you're still paying less than the default asking price for the new version. Saves transfer as well. (saves and discounts are same platform family only, of course)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 16, 2015, 04:36:56 AM »
Also the melee combat is surprisingly deep. It feels a bit cumbersome at first and it's designed to make you feel weak on your own against fighting multiple zombies at once. However after you get a feel for it and learn to dodge properly, you can last a great deal longer when the shit hits the fan. Even the weapons themselves are well balanced. Blunt weapons are great for knocking zombies back or down, have good durability, but can take a little longer to get kills while the edged weapons are a little more riskier to level up with since they don't have that knock back effect, but if you get a character skilled enough with them, they are almost god-like as they can take out zombies left and right with each swipe.

The contrast of day and night is pretty great too. Not only do zombies typically come in greater number and become a little more dangerous, it is actually hard to see at night and even sometimes nerve wracking when searching through houses. Just hearing a feral zombie nearby gives me anxiety. I just hope they don't change the lighting too much because I liked the fact of how dark it is during the night cycle. Some weather effects would be cool, but I don't think I saw anything like that in the trailer.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, April 16, 2015, 04:55:11 AM »
I've never heard of this.  Perhaps I'll check it out.  I'm trying to avoid buying anything on Steam these days and favor GOG.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, April 16, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »
I've heard the name and just thought "another zombie game" at the time.  You two are making it seem much more interesting.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, April 16, 2015, 03:17:09 PM »
I feel like it really is a console thing. These new versions are so people can play them on their newer consoles and they'll look better.
For them - yes, I think it makes more sense....b/c you'd be going from say PS3 -> PS4 or XB360 to XB1.

The benefits aren't as prominent for PC users, but there are some changes, so it gets released there too, at the same price of course.
Only reason I am glad it's on PC - when it hits dirt-cheap, then I might have an interest in the re-release...especially since I do not have Lifeline DLC.
Would be even better, if Year Zero later-later hits a Microsoft Humble Bundle or something. :P

BTW the $30 price tag gets knocked down to $20 if you already own the old version of the game (doesn't matter if you own any DLC). So if you picked it up on Steam when it was $5, overall you're still paying less than the default asking price for the new version. Saves transfer as well. (saves and discounts are same platform family only, of course)
I just checked - I spent $5.73 from GMG a while back for PC version of State of Decay base-game + Breakdown DLC altogether.
There's no way in Hell I'm gonna drop $20 on the Re-Release of this game! No way!
I still ain't even played the original version yet!

I'll probably be interested in the Re-Release much-much later when it's much-much-cheaper, since I'm missing the Lifeline DLC from the original game.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, April 16, 2015, 06:06:31 PM »
One of the little details I like in this game is the search mechanic. You go into a house, search the cabinets and such, and find weapons, medicine, etc. Sometimes you find something more generic sounding like "medical supplies". You can open it up and get a few bottles of pills and whatnot, or you can pack it into a rucksack to carry back home and it becomes part of your home base's medical supplies. Also if you hold the spring button while searching, you search the cabinet or whatever way faster, but there's a high chance that you'll make a loud noise and attract nearby zombies.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, April 16, 2015, 07:50:44 PM »
Oh right, I've done that a few times. Though from my experience, it was always a horde that was summoned and I always booked it out of the building without searching the rest because I would barely make it out alive if I stayed. Also taking someone with you has always been more beneficial than a burden. The AI does a well enough job of following and they end up helping out a lot when you are overwhelmed, especially if a feral zombie gets on you. And typically one those missions where you are helping someone else out, whether it be from you base or another refuge, I try to knock out more than one objective with them.

Offline Cool_Gamer1

• Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 02:01:57 AM »
SoD is a fantastic game...one of the best zombie games out there.

I got it when it launched in June 2013 and it was buggy then, but still fun as hell. Really intense since it's like a single-player, community-oriented version of DayZ. Survive, collect resources, keep everyone alive and fed.

You can select your home base and upgrade it as you get more resources (which improves survivability in the event of zombie attacks). The weapons realism is quite good too, more powerful guns = more noise so the 22LR weapons are actually the most useful. Single shot to the head takes care of business.

Come to think of it, I should probably replay this one...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 01:18:30 PM »
I totally forgot about this game. I've gotten sick to death of the zombie thing, but this game did seem really cool, I've always wanted a true and proper zombie game that didn't go off the rails and do stuff you don't want it to do. But I'll very likely never play it. Firstly because I don't own or have any desire to own and Xbone, secondly because my PC likely won't be able to run it and I have no idea when I'll be able to build a new rig, and thirdly because there's no Japanese localization to allow me to justify the expense and time. Sad face.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 02, 2018, 03:22:46 AM »
State of Decay 2!!!

There's a quicklook of it up now, though Jeff is pretty determined to hate everything about it. So far it looks like it's everything I could want out of it's sequel. Really glad they doubled down on what made the first game great and avoided any sort of battle royale multiplayer bullshit influence. It's easily one of my most anticipated games this year, and it comes out on my birthday. I'm definitely picking it up at my earliest convenience. I'll be moving sometime at the end of the month, I hope it works out where after the move I'll have time to dig into this. I'm really excited.