Author Topic: The Last Remnant - Update: Leaving Steam on Sept 4 (NA/EU) & Sept. 5 (Japan)  (Read 10788 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: The Last Remnant -- Update: DEMO Released; PC game coming to Steam soon
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 11:03:36 PM »
Yeah, i got that when i clicked through from Idol's link in the other thread.  Gamershell does have it though.  I'm at like 93% and it's been a few hours....slow connection.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 12:49:52 AM »
Wow, the game runs great.  It doesn't LOOK all that great, but it doesn't look bad either.  I had it maxed out and it ran flawlessly....it didn't know what the fuck i was doing but it ran flawlessly.  Seemed pretty fun and unique for a JRPG.  I'll probably check it out more and buy it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 01:01:46 AM »
Nice.  I heard really good things about the game.  I guess there were bugs, but the game itself was actually pretty great and different.  Maybe they fixed the bugs up for the PC version.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »
Wow, that's great that the demo turned out good and actually ran well. :)
So, how's the art direction in this demo (in your opinion)?
I'm glad it sounds like the PC version hasn't been botched at all.

Hmmmm....Did the X360 get a patch or anything yet to fix all of the issues galore that version had?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 05:35:45 PM »
Just checked out the demo. It runs really well. Artistically it's great, I expect nothing less from SquareEnix. Technical graphics are nothing special though. I'm not saying it's a problem or anything just an observation.

The only problem I did see about the game is it felt convuluted. I'm used to SquareEnix games going through what I refer to as the "adaptation phase" where the game establishes the world, explains the situation, and takes your hand gradually through the beginnings just introducing you to its features one at a time. As a demo this was just too much to take in at once.

The combat system is ok, it's sort of a mix between traditional turn-based JRPG and tactics. It took me a bit to realize that I don't control individual characters but "Unions" which are just squads.

One thing I did really appreciate is the great support for gamepads! X360 pad is the default but you can very easily switch it up in the menu to a generic gamepad, which I didn't even need to configure, the buttons matched immediately.

Anyway, I'm already swallowed up in FFXII, so I don't wanna get into any other JRPG else until I'm done with that!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 07:22:52 PM »
Artistically it's great, I expect nothing less from SquareEnix.
Awesome.

To me, if you can make the artistic look great and technically it's nothing special, that's no big deal -- especially if it runs fabulous.

Sure, it'd be better if it looks technically and artistically amazing, yet still runs superb -- but how many games get ALL of that all right, you know?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 07:38:12 PM »
True. I'd rather have a stable product over an experimental bugfest either way but I really appreciate the high artistic value.

It's totally a game I can sit back and play rather than mount up on my mouse+keyboard for. I'll consider The Last Remnant after I'm done with some Final Fantasies first.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #47 on: Friday, March 20, 2009, 01:05:15 PM »
From Steam forums -- Many people are having trouble getting The Last Remnant PC activated over Steam.

Now from Eurogamer, here's their report on it

Last Remnant PC activation issues News
News  by Rob Purchese
Today 14:54

The PC version of The Last Remnant, which launches today in Europe, cannot be played nor installed as far as we - and a Eurogamer reader with the same problem (and an entire Steam forum with the same problem) - can ascertain.

The problem revolves around Steam, with which the game needs to be activated using a registration code found on the back of the manual.

Any attempt to do so, however, is met by the following message: "The Last Remnant has not been officially released, and cannot be unlocked at this time. Please check Steam news to find out the release time. Steam will notify you when the game becomes unlocked."

Worryingly, The Last Remnant is not due for launch on Steam until 9th April, when it will become the first Square Enix game on the digital distribution service.

Square Enix was unavailable to tell us whether we will have to wait until then to activate and play the game. We'll keep chasing them. It's not like we can sit here playing the game after all.

Thanks to Eurogamer reader John Garbutt for pointing this out.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: The Last Remnant -- Update: Steam activation issues (Reply 47)
« Reply #48 on: Friday, March 20, 2009, 01:20:43 PM »
Insert standard and deserved Steam bashing *HERE*

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Friday, March 20, 2009, 02:29:34 PM »
And this is why I normally don't buy Steam games UPON their release date -- or any game requiring some sort of online activation, for that matter. I learned the hard-way from Bioshock PC.

You can't get into the Steam servers b/c everyone's activating the same game on the same day at the same time over the same servers; there might be weird "release date" lock-out issues; game might still need some polishing; etc etc.

How annoying it must be to drop $30-50 on a new game and you can't get it running b/c you can't "Activate" it for whatever silly reason.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #50 on: Friday, March 20, 2009, 02:57:16 PM »
That's retarded. Pardon the pun.

I'm pretty sure there's a way around the Steam issues, namely finding a way to bypass Steam altogether. What the heck would this game need Steam for anyway?!

I was looking around for more material on The Last Remnant, videos, commentary etc. In one of the vids it shows parts from the intro and some moments were just "heh??" Some of the dialogue is questionable too. According to the intro the leader of some forces just used his "Remnant" power and it was quite destructive, it shatters the ground and the main character "Rush" and a supporting character fall in to a cave beneath. Keep in mind they just met, Rush has no idea what this war is about. This is a bit of the dialogue:

Emma: The "Gae Bolg" created a crack in the ground and we fell into this cave.
Rush: Cave?

Really? That's questionable part in that sentence?
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 21, 2009, 01:53:34 PM by Xessive »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, March 21, 2009, 09:07:22 PM »
That's retarded. Pardon the pun.

I'm pretty sure there's a way around the Steam issues, namely finding a way to bypass Steam altogether. What the heck would this game need Steam for anyway?!

I was looking around for more material on The Last Remnant, videos, commentary etc. In one of the vids it shows parts from the intro and some moments were just "heh??" Some of the dialogue is questionable too. According to the intro the leader of some forces just used his "Remnant" power and it was quite destructive, it shatters the ground and the main character "Rush" and a supporting character fall in to a cave beneath. Keep in mind they just met, Rush has no idea what this war is about. This is a bit of the dialogue:

Emma: The "Gae Bolg" created a crack in the ground and we fell into this cave.
Rush: Cave?

Really? That's questionable part in that sentence?

I'm guessing Emma and Rush know what a "Gae Bolg" is by the way that dialogue's going; whereas the gamer might not have a clue. :P Of course, that's if "Gae Bolg" wasn't already defined for the gamer.

And I'm guessing Emma and Rush never been to that cave and/or didn't know there was a cave in that area... :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, March 22, 2009, 04:47:17 AM »
It's part of the intro.. From what the player gathers Rush is just a kid who's looking for his sister and he mistakes Emma for her and just dashes right into a battlefield. Emma knows what the Gae Bolg is but Rush, who was living on an island with his his sister isolated from the rest of society, was just thrust into this turn of events when his sister was kidnapped a very short while ago. I guess it stands to reason he may have never been in a cave before but the way the dialogue goes in the game seems kinda lost in translation.

Hehe imagine you and I having a dialogue like this:

X: Ok MyD, let's grab some shawerma and head back to the car.
M: Car?

Of course, I'm assuming "shawerma" is a foreign thing to you :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, March 22, 2009, 07:29:45 AM »
It's part of the intro.. From what the player gathers Rush is just a kid who's looking for his sister and he mistakes Emma for her and just dashes right into a battlefield. Emma knows what the Gae Bolg is but Rush, who was living on an island with his his sister isolated from the rest of society, was just thrust into this turn of events when his sister was kidnapped a very short while ago. I guess it stands to reason he may have never been in a cave before but the way the dialogue goes in the game seems kinda lost in translation.

Hehe imagine you and I having a dialogue like this:

X: Ok MyD, let's grab some shawerma and head back to the car.
M: Car?

Of course, I'm assuming "shawerma" is a foreign thing to you :P

LOL @ car.
Well, I don't drive and get out much, these days and age... ;)

Oh, about that shawerma...that's something I never heard of before until now.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, March 22, 2009, 07:52:07 AM »
LOL @ car.
Well, I don't drive and get out much, these days and age... ;)

Oh, about that shawerma...that's something I never heard of before until now.

Haha the picture they have there is a very bad representation of a Shawerma. The description is right but the pic will totally throw you off. Firstly we don't use tortilla. Secondly the meat in that picture is ground not shaved.

Here's what a chicken one is shaved off:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, March 22, 2009, 07:56:16 AM »
Cool.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, March 22, 2009, 11:11:23 AM »
Coming back to The Last Remnant. I've been playing the demo again, just sorta trying to get a better feel for the gameplay. I think the combat is almost entirely based on luck! The outcomes of the same fights are so random.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: The Last Remnant - Update: $10 on Steam currently (Reply 57)
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 02:52:25 AM »
This is actually a really good game.  I don't think it's for everybody (I didn't finish it), but the combat/ally system is deep and there's a lot there.  Good price for it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 03:20:50 PM »
I ordered it last nite, of course. Ain't DL'ed it yet, though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #60 on: Friday, August 24, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
The Last Remnant (PC version) is being removed from Steam and digital distributors soon - Sept. 5th in Japan and Sept. 4th in NA & EU:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/23310/announcements/detail/1709566654679120493

Hi everyone,

We will soon be discontinuing digital and physical sales of The Last Remnant on PC.

Sales will cease at the times below:-

Japan region: Wednesday 5th September, approximately 2:00 (JST)
NA region: Tuesday 4th September, approximately 10:00(PDT)
EU region: Tuesday 4th September, approximately 17:00(GMT)

Anyone already owning the game will still be able to play as per usual.

Thanks to everyone who’s adventured with the Mitras, Yamas, Qsitis and Sovanis!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: The Last Remnant - Update: Leaving Steam on Sept 4 (NA/EU) & Sept. 5 (Japan)
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »
Is that weird?  Seems weird.  I can only really remember games being pulled like this when licenses expire or they're getting moved to the publishers own store.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: The Last Remnant - Update: Leaving Steam on Sept 4 (NA/EU) & Sept. 5 (Japan)
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 09:22:44 PM »
The only other reason this happens: well, I smell a possible Remaster might be coming, TBH...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #63 on: Monday, September 10, 2018, 10:50:19 PM »
Turns out you are correct. A remaster was apparently announced at TGS.