Author Topic: Dying Light from Techland -> Updated: Story Mode difficulty added (Reply 31)  (Read 8881 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Dying Light from Techland announced for PC, PS4, XB1, XB360, PS3.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 23, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »
That could be kinda fun.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Re: Dying Light from Techland -> PC, PS4, XB1, XB360, PS3 - zombie-game w/ parkour
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, June 12, 2014, 03:24:30 AM »
Ok, this game is almost exactly like Dead Island except for the parkour and the night cycle where the zombies become super strong and you have to sneak around. Thats weird seeing as how Dead Island 2 has been announced and this game is made by the same team as Riptide.

I'm not complaining, I'm actually one of the few who loves Dead Island.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Dying Light from Techland -> PC, PS4, XB1, XB360, PS3 - zombie-game w/ parkour
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, June 12, 2014, 03:34:10 AM »
Ok, this game is almost exactly like Dead Island except for the parkour and the night cycle where the zombies become super strong and you have to sneak around. Thats weird seeing as how Dead Island 2 has been announced and this game is made by the same team as Riptide.

I'm not complaining, I'm actually one of the few who loves Dead Island.

Dead Island, Dead Island Riptide, and Dying Light are developed by Techland
Dead Island 2 is being developed by Yager (Spec Ops: The Line)
All are published by Deep Silver

Word is that Riptide was the B team at Techland, though.

None of this makes the coexistance of Dying Light and Dead Island 2 make any more sense though, since they're from the same publisher.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, June 12, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »
I guess instead of trying to make Dead Island 2 one thing, I guess they said screw it! We'll made DI2 corny (the first one was, in a B movie kind of way) and we'll make Dying Light the serious game. Still weird, but I would love to see some DI2 gameplay footage.

A lot of people blame the trailer for misleading people, but I actually blame the reviewers of the game. I watched dozen of reviews before I bought this game and not one of them did a decent job of portraying what the game is actually like. Now I try to watch a "Let's Play" before buying a game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, June 14, 2014, 04:53:01 AM »
Dead Island, Dead Island Riptide, and Dying Light are developed by Techland
Dead Island 2 is being developed by Yager (Spec Ops: The Line)

<snip>

Word is that Riptide was the B team at Techland, though.
Correct.

All are published by Deep Silver.

<snip>

None of this makes the coexistance of Dying Light and Dead Island 2 make any more sense though, since they're from the same publisher.
No!

Different publishers.

Warner Bros. is publishing Dying Light.
Deep Silver is publishing Dead Island 2.
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 14, 2014, 06:23:58 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 03:34:23 AM »
Joystiq -> Dying Light cancelled on only older-gen platforms PS3 and XB360; and it will only launch on PC, XB1, and PS4 now.

Dear Gamers,

As you probably know, we're wrapping up the development of Dying Light, our biggest and most ambitious project to date. We spent the last three years making sure that all the features of our game add up to create a truly next-gen experience.

Much of this "next-gen feel" is tightly connected to the technological side of Dying Light. For instance, up to 200,000 objects can be displayed in the game at once. Add to this our use of realistic, physics-based lighting technology and you really start to push the next-gen systems to the limits. Features like these along with our core gameplay pillars – such as the player-empowering Natural Movement, threefold character development system, and vast open world – are all an inherent part of how Dying Light plays. However, combining all of these into one fluid experience is only possible on technologically advanced platforms.

Therefore, after thorough internal testing, we have come to the conclusion that we have no choice but to leave past-gen systems behind and release Dying Light exclusively on the next-gen consoles and PC. Put simply, older consoles just couldn't run the game and stay true to the core vision of Dying Light at the same time.

To ensure you enjoy Dying Light as much as we would like you to, we chose to release it without any compromises on the three strongest systems available. Thanks to this, you'll get the full and best experience regardless of the platform you play on.

We hope you understand the hard choice we've had to make. With the launch just around the corner, we can't wait to show you Dying Light in the state it was meant to be. We're looking forward to your reactions and impressions as we release the game in January 2015.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 03:41:27 PM »
Correct.
No!

Different publishers.

Warner Bros. is publishing Dying Light.
Deep Silver is publishing Dead Island 2.

I'm not sure how I missed this back in June when you said it. When I realized they were different publishers it made so much more sense. Though if I have to choose between the two, I think it might be Dying Light. I'm worried Dead Island 2 might be too much "more of the same". We'll see though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dying Light from Techland -> PC, PS4, XB1 only now; XB360 + PS3 cancelled.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 06:50:12 AM »
Eurogamer -> Details on Dying Light's Season Pass.

Dying Light developer Techland has dated the game's post-release content, which is available as part of the zombie shooter's season pass.

The first pack, Cuisine and Cargo, is available from today, Tuesday, 10th February on PC and Xbox One and tomorrow on PlayStation 4. It contains two hardcore missions set in new areas.
The Ultimate Survivor Bundle follows in March, and brings seven new in-game items: three outfits and four weapon blueprints.
After that, The Bozak Horde DLC arrives in May. It includes a new single-player and co-op map featuring wave-based enemy combat.

You can pick up all three packs via the game's Season Pass, although it should be pointed out that the first two are included with physical copies at certain retailers, such as Amazon and ShopTo.

But most copies of the game are presumably still digital versions. Physical copies of the game have been delayed until 27th February everywhere except North America, where the disc-based version launched alongside digital copies.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Dying Light from Techland -> Updated: Season Pass details
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 03:46:46 PM »
I've been enjoying the game a lot, though still haven't finished because I've only been playing when my coop partner is around, and he's got a weird work schedule.

This first DLC is like... 10 minutes of content I'd guess? It's 2 quarantine zones for $5. For those who haven't played, there are areas on the map marked as quarantine zones, where the zombies got in and the place was barricaded off with the zombies still inside. You go up to the door and load into an interior area where you have to collect 5 boxes of supplies, and whatever other loot you might see laying around. I don't think a quarantine zone has ever taken us more than 5 minutes, and usually they're less than that. So you get 2 of these, for $5.

The second one, the Ultimate Survival Bundle, sounds like it's only weapons blueprints and outfits. So you get a couple new variations on "do more dmg with this weapons by adding fire/electricity/poison to it", and a couple outfits that are only ever seen by coop partners.

The third one could be alright, depending on how fleshed out it is. Sounds basically like horde mode.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 10:09:30 AM »
I see that you're playing that a lot when I get on the X1.  Needing a coop partner and copious DLC right out of the starting gate doesn't sit well with me at all.  I'm not a big fan of zombie games anyway.  I think the last one I truly enjoyed was the original Dead Rising.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 10:39:35 AM »
I see that you're playing that a lot when I get on the X1.  Needing a coop partner and copious DLC right out of the starting gate doesn't sit well with me at all.  I'm not a big fan of zombie games anyway.  I think the last one I truly enjoyed was the original Dead Rising.
It's a shame you got the Xbox One instead of the PS4.  You're missing out on The Last of Us, which is probably the best game I've played in 10 years.  I'd say it's a zombie game and it's also a single-player experience.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 11:37:32 AM »

I wouldn't say you need a coop partner, but some parts are no doubt easier with at least one. I just don't want to do too much stuff without him because then I'll be repeating it once he gets on. So when playing alone I look for items and work on random achievements or just run around.

I'm also huge into zombies though. Have been since I first saw Night of the Living Dead sometime in the late 80s. My mom thought I would hate it because it was old and black & white, but I loved it. I guess the good part about there being so many zombie games is that I can pick through them and look for the good ones. As a zombie enthusiast, it would really suck if we got 1 zombie game every couple years, and half of them sucked.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Dying Light from Techland -> Updated: Season Pass details; Hard Mode in March
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 09:47:14 AM »
The game is a little rough at the beginning, with zombies taking a lot of hits to take down, and your weapons breaking so fast. I avoided the zombies at lot at first. By the end you're destroying them though. Last night I killed one of the tougher enemy types with one melee swing. Apparently the enemies scale with your level, but not past 20 or so (level 25 is the cap). Assuming the scaling isn't adjusted on newgame+ they're still easy since you're still level 25.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dying Light from Techland -> Updated: Season Pass details; Hard Mode in March
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2015, 07:46:43 AM »
Eurogamer -> Dying Light: The Following expansion announced - which will be free for Season Pass owners; non-SP owners can buy separately.

Here's producer Tymon Smektala's press release quote: "For Dying Light: The Following we're adding a number of bold game-changers to create one massive expansion. Something big that will give the game a brand-new flavour. The new map alone is the same size as all the previous maps from Dying Light combined, so there is a lot we're packing in here. We also kept a close eye on player feedback to help tailor what we've created here. Hopefully people will see that this new expansion is first and foremost, for the fans."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dying Light from Techland -> Updated: The Following trailer
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 03:52:31 PM »
Finished the Dying Light demo (which was released on all platforms today) - since you only get to play it for an hour in the game-world and all. Holy crap - this game kicks butt. Combat feels way more visceral than ever before (much better than Dead Island original + Riptide) & the emphasis on parkour adds a nice mix in the gameplay (to keep you moving, since you have a stamina bar for your attacks to limit them a bit now).

Over here on my rig (i7 950; 16GB RAM; 4GB VRAM 960), game was performing at 1080p w/ almost everything up to High; VSync Off; All the GameWorks Stuff On; and a framerate at around 45-50 FPS. I should note - it was eating up almost 3.5 GB VRAM memory usage here on the regular here.

I can't wait until base-game and/or Season Pass bricks down in price and/or in a sale.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, October 15, 2015, 10:27:36 AM »
Finished the Dying Light demo (which was released on all platforms today) - since you only get to play it for an hour in the game-world and all. Holy crap - this game kicks butt. Combat feels way more visceral than ever before (much better than Dead Island original + Riptide) & the emphasis on parkour adds a nice mix in the gameplay (to keep you moving, since you have a stamina bar for your attacks to limit them a bit now).

Over here on my rig (i7 950; 16GB RAM; 4GB VRAM 960), game was performing at 1080p w/ almost everything up to High; VSync Off; All the GameWorks Stuff On; and a framerate at around 45-50 FPS. I should note - it was eating up almost 3.5 GB VRAM memory usage here on the regular here.

I can't wait until base-game and/or Season Pass bricks down in price and/or in a sale.

I discovered this demo a couple of weeks back, and I agree.  It was quite a pleasant surprise.  The nice thing about it is that you get an hour each time you play (not altogether).  That's plenty of time for a session of learning what's what, then doing it all again more effectively.  I'm not a big fan of zombies or survival-horror, but this game does feel compelling.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 06:21:00 AM »
About Dying Light....
The Following [DLC/expansion] + Season Pass will be going up in its MSRP price.

-> Excuse: they feel The Following has gotten bigger than original scope and is also a stand-alone
-> Price for both increases on December 8th.
-> The Following will jump from $15 up to $20.
-> Season Pass will go from $20 to $30.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #22 on: Friday, November 27, 2015, 07:15:26 PM »
I'm sure this is a stupid question because this isn't the first game with a season pass, but what is a season pass, exactly?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Friday, November 27, 2015, 10:31:48 PM »
You basically pay in advance for all the DLC content that may happen along within the "season".  I think a "season" is a year.  I've never bought one, and I likely never will.  It's a gamble.  You're paying for content that doesn't yet exist, hoping what comes will more than justify the expenditure.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 01:07:47 AM »
Not necessarily. You can sometimes buy season passes even after all the DLC has already come out, and I don't think it's generally limited to a year or whatever. Like I don't think I've ever seen multiple season passes for a single game. Usually it's just "buy this and we'll give you everything that comes out". I've bought several retroactively at discounts, after all the DLC was already out, so it can be cheaper than buying stuff individually.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 12:36:08 PM »
Usually it's just "buy this and we'll give you everything that comes out".

Not always. SR3 did NOT include every DLC in its Season Pass.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 01:05:16 PM »
Hence why I said "usually".

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, November 28, 2015, 05:20:41 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, November 29, 2015, 10:33:43 PM »
So far the only two games I've seen that have had multiple season passes are Evolve and Destiny (though Destiny called them Expansion Passes). Both games were notorious for this practice (among other issues).

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: Monday, November 30, 2015, 02:42:03 AM »
Destiny has still only had one season pass. I think Evolve had like 3 at launch. The monster pass, hunter pass 1, and hunter pass 2.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 03:20:14 PM »
Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition joins GOG.

Very nice to see a very recent AAA title go DRM-FREE (for the SP component) on GOG!

It's $49.79 currently (which is 17% off its usual $59.99 price-tag).

And before you ask - GOG Galaxy players can ONLY do the MP component with each other.
There is NO cross-play here for the MP b/t Steam users + GOG Galaxy users.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dying Light from Techland -> Updated: Dying Light joins GOG.
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, February 23, 2020, 08:58:50 AM »
Dying Light adds a New Story Mode (easier difficulty mode):
https://www.pcgamer.com/dying-lights-new-story-mode-makes-the-game-much-easier/

Info:
- New Story Mode added, to make the game easier & get some gamers up-to-date for DL2
- Details on Story Mode all below...
- Your attacks are much stronger & less stamina is used on attacks
- Falls & drops from higher elevations won't do as much damage
- Medkits restore twice as much health
- Only half experience points are loss, upon death
- Days are longer & nights are shorter in Story Mode
- Traders pay more for the items that you sell to them
- Air drops remain twice as long on the map