Author Topic: Steam Deck - portable Switch-like SteamOS-based PC  (Read 4348 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Steam Deck - portable Switch-like SteamOS-based PC
« on: Friday, July 16, 2021, 06:59:13 PM »
Steam has their own new Switch-like handleheld Steam-device, called the Steam Deck that is coming this December 2021.

PC Gamer - https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-deck-handheld-announced/

{quote}
Steam Deck hardware specs

Here are the specifications of the handheld itself, according to Valve:

CPU: AMD Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
    GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
    RAM: 16 GB DDR5
    Storage: 64GB, 256GB, 512GB versions; expandable with MicroSD cards
    Display: 7" diagonal, 1280x800 (16:10), 60Hz LCD touchscreen
    Audio: Stereo speakers that "pack a punch," says Valve, 3.5mm stereo jack, dual mics, multichannel USB-C/Bluetooth output
    Controls: Two analog sticks with capacitive touch, D-pad, face buttons, analog triggers, bumpers, assignable grip buttons, "view" and "menu" buttons, gyro
    Trackpads: There's two of them, and Valve says that they have "55% better latency compared to Steam Controller."
    Wireless connectivity: Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
    Wired connectivity: USB-C with DisplayPort 1.4 Alt-mode support; up to 8K @60Hz or 4K @120Hz, USB 3.2 Gen 2
    Battery: 40Whr, "2-8 hours of gameplay"
    Size: 11.7" x 4.6" x 1.8" (298mm x 117mm x 49mm)
    Weight: Approximately 1.47 lbs (669 grams)

{/quote}

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Steam Deck - portable Switch-like SteamOS-based PC
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 16, 2021, 07:03:19 PM »
IGN:

Video and interview w/ questions, answers, info, and whatnot on the Steam Deck:

Video w/ talk about this Steam Deck going up against Playstation, other platforms, and this thing's actual power:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 16, 2021, 07:06:25 PM »
PC Gamer - You can also install Windows and other gaming store-fronts on this device too:
https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-install-windows-on-a-steam-deck-and-possibly-other-game-storefronts-too/

Kotaku - You can install Epic Store on Steam Deck, since SteamOS is based off the Linux platform:
https://kotaku.com/valve-s-steam-deck-will-let-you-shop-on-epic-games-stor-1847301513

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 17, 2021, 06:55:54 PM »
Looks pretty cool, but I will wait for it to be released before actually considering.

As someone who does not have a gaming laptop, it may be a suitable compromise to use a Steam Deck while traveling (in circumstances where I would feel like actually playing video games). The price point for the upgraded models was more expensive than I expected, but you are purportedly getting a PC (rather than a gaming console) so there is a lot more utility with it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 11:31:49 AM »
I'm interested in seeing how it turns out. Not sure how the controls being kind of bunched up at the top is going to pan out. But its neat. If I bought one I would definitely go with one with more than 64GB of space. I have multiple games that are already larger than that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, July 25, 2021, 04:22:08 PM »
It's expandable with cards, and I believe they're also going to let you upgrade SSDs? I'll go with the low one. Most of the bigger and crazier games aren't something I'd want to play on a controller and small screen anyway. Assuming it works at all.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2021, 06:01:15 AM »
It's expandable with cards, and I believe they're also going to let you upgrade SSDs? I'll go with the low one. Most of the bigger and crazier games aren't something I'd want to play on a controller and small screen anyway. Assuming it works at all.

About the main SSD - you can upgrade it, but Valve does NOT recommend you do so:
https://www.pcgamer.com/you-might-be-able-to-upgrade-a-steam-decks-ssd-but-valve-says-not-to/

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, August 01, 2021, 05:34:40 PM »
That makes sense, especially if you run higher end games