Author Topic: Digi Camera recommendations? *Looks at Idol*  (Read 2205 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Digi Camera recommendations? *Looks at Idol*
« on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 05:08:12 PM »
I got some gift certificates for Christmas and I think I'd like to get a digital camera. At the moment, I'm eying the Canon PowerShot A540. I'm looking at spending about $200. Circuit City has the A540 on sale for $170.

Any other nice cameras that give about as much, or more bang for the buck?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Digi Camera recommendations? *Looks at Idol*
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 05:10:49 PM »
I think that's the exact camera my parents bought my brother before he went to Thailand a month ago. I haven't been able to see it for myself, but word is the thing was great especially when you consider the price.

... I'd wait for Idol or someone else who has looked at these things more closely and more recently to give you some better advice.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 05:12:11 PM »
The SD600 looks pretty nice too. And I like the fact that it's a little smaller.

Edit: Eh, SD600 doesn't seem to have as many features as the A540.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 05:51:49 PM »
A good place to look at reviews is here. They will tell you everything you need to know...and some of it you dont. They even have example shots to look at so you can see the cameras actual output.

I like the Canon Ax series (I have an older A80 model). One of the big pluses for me is they use AA batteries. There are many times I've been out and had the batteries die. Just buy some AAs at a gas station or whatever and you can keep shooting. The A540 looks just like my camera with a higher MP count (Mine is 4MP). It doesnt have the swivel screen...thats just something you have to decide if you want it. Its nice to have but not really essential.

The camera isn't that big, but (at least mine) isnt small enough for me to carry with at all times. Plus I keep my tripod and shit with it, so maybe I'm not the best judge. That newer model is probably smaller since it only takes 2 AAs and my model takes 4. For a smaller cam I was looking at Canons SD models like the SD600 or SD700.

Really, you can't go wrong with either camera you've already posted and would be more or less my choices if I was looking for a newer point and shoot for myself. Personally I'd get the A540 because it can take AAs for those emergencies as a "main" camera. I'd *like* a SD600 to be my daily, carry it all the time pocket camera.

Oh yeah, heres a review of the A540. Thats a good site as well.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 07:21:14 PM »
I have one, it's awesome.  Very nice picture quality, and the video quality is better than any other camera I've seen in this class.  I got it looking for a cheap-ish camera with good video options, and it was the best.  Not surprisingly, the still shot options are just as great.  That's a bargain too, at that price.  Grab it, you wont be disappointed.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 08:18:20 PM »
Thanks guys. A540 it is. Probably going to pick it up as soon as I get off work tomorrow.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 07:30:56 PM »
that's what i have..

hey, anyone want to host some pics?  i can post some to show part of my days,
Taken.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 07:36:49 PM »
I can host them on overwritten.

Cools

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 09:31:23 PM »
Only looking at Idol? Pffstttt!!!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 12:56:09 AM »
That's because his gaze doesn't turn people to stone.

And neither does yours.

Cools

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 01:24:00 AM »
But but but!

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 08:12:01 AM »
So, I went to get it yesterday, but by the time I got there, they were sold out. So I took the ad over to best buy for them to match the price. But they were also sold out. So I ordered it online. Probably take about a week to get here.