Author Topic: Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles (Expansion) THREAD  (Read 37315 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles (Expansion) THREAD
« on: Sunday, December 31, 2006, 02:33:44 PM »
PC Gamer Feb 2007 Issue has a new preview for the next Elder Scrolls IV expansion, which is known as The Shivering Isles

Quote from: Muad'Dib of Elder Scrolls Forums
Yesterday I got the February 2007 issue of PC gamer, which had a two page preview of the Shivering isles. I figured I ought to put a paragraph by paragraph summary up, so here you go. Although this has a fair amount to do with the pre-existing Shivering isle thread, I didnt want to put a bunch of text in the middle of that. The article appeared on pages 46-47m and was written by Ryan McCaffrey.

"Oblivion - Shivering Isles" - Nuttier than a medieval Fruitcake.

Expansions are always difficult for a developer, as giving the same is boring, and departing from the established too much alienates fans.

In an attempt to avoid this conundrum, the expansion for the popular Elder Scrolls IV will add a unique twist to the established formula - it changes little gameplay wise, but adds a whole lot of totally new and unique content.

Rather than expand into another province of Tamriel, Bethesda dipped into the lore and decided to transport players to the 'Shivering Isles' known also as 'The realm of Madness', the daedric realm ruled by the prince Sheogorath. (Just on a side note, if anyone has the played the Sheogorath Shrine Quests, they should set the tone for the expansion - twisted and at times sadistic humor).

The god Juggalef is preparing his 'once-in-an-eon' Greymarch - a cleansing of the land and everyone within, including, by extension, Sheogorath himself. With this premise you are allowed entry to the shivering isles, a place where everything is a bit off - including the plants, landscapes, creatures and NPCs.

The strangeness of the Shivering isles creates a lot of humor - "Not only are a lot of the NPCs downright hilarious, thanks to the insanity that permeates the land, but the humor also lends something of a clasic LucasArts adventure game bent to the Quests you'll embark upon. You'll laugh more in 10 hours with Shivering isles than you did with 100 hours with the parent game".

One quest has you deciding the fate of a group of adventurers who have strayed into a dungeon in search of great riches. You, along with one of Sheogoraths minions get to decide the fate of said adventurers, as Sheogorath has already decided that they are to die. You can kill them outright, or use traps and illusions within the dungeons to drive them insane (ie the adventurers see a locked cage filled with unimaginable riches - you can opt to electrify the cage, killing anyone who touches it, walk in and kill them yourself, or drop thousands of key in the room, driving them insane as they search for the real one).

You will be able to move between cyrodiil and the Shivering Isles at will, and the expansion will be suitable for all level ranges (I guess this means leveled content), with the entrance to the isles located on an island in Niben bay, near Bravil. Ill close with this quote - "If you're still pursing your lips at the thought of playing Oblivion in a land filled with a pink night sky and trees that look lifted from an acid junkies sketchbook, ask yourself if you really wanted more of the same".

Page 1

Page 2
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 27, 2007, 02:29:29 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles (PC Expansion) -- Planned for Spring 2007
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 31, 2006, 02:52:08 PM »
Count me the hell in.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 31, 2006, 03:53:23 PM »
Well wing-dang-doodle! I'm glad Bethesda is going ahead with these mini-expansions! Especially considering their initial stance on the probability of expansions for Oblivion.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 31, 2006, 06:14:03 PM »
Ok, that sounds awesome as hell. Might have to reinstall Oblivion for that.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 31, 2006, 11:03:52 PM »
That is so incredibly... odd.

You'll laugh more in 10 hours with Shivering isles than you did with 100 hours with the parent game

Make that a 1000 hours, because I can't remember a funny moment. Except for that fisherman bit. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 01, 2007, 12:58:05 AM »
I just realized this would be like "The Cube!"

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 01, 2007, 01:57:01 AM »
What do you mean no funny moments?  There were more than a few.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 01, 2007, 10:53:29 AM »
Funniest moment: chasing vampires or whatever they were...the dude is real serious "WE have to follow them. Follow me!" and he runs 20ft right into a trap that slams him into the ceiling. And the trap just keeps going...SLAM.....SLAM....SLAM....

I laughed a good 10 minutes.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 01, 2007, 03:11:25 PM »
Ok, that sounds awesome as hell. Might have to reinstall Oblivion for that.

First mistake: UNINSTALLING Oblivion. :P

Quote from: Que
Count me the hell in.
I knew you'd like the news of a new Oblivion expansion. :)

Quote from: Xessive
Well wing-dang-doodle! I'm glad Bethesda is going ahead with these mini-expansions! Especially considering their initial stance on the probability of expansions for Oblivion.
With all of their Oblivion DLC stuff every few months, then deciding to releasing it all on disc for another good 5-10 hours of Oblivion stuff w/ the new Knights of the Nine content in November '06, plus now news of a new expansion by Spring '07, I think Valve and anybody else who wants to think about doing some sort of "Episodic gaming" or "Expansions galore gaming" should look at what the hell BethSoft is doing.

BethSoft is just pumping out lots of new content here and there for a game that came out back in March 2006....

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 01, 2007, 09:39:22 PM »
Man, I can't wait till my PC arrives (I shipped it), so I can get back into Oblivion! Oh and I finally got to see what the game looks like with HDR!

By the way, that Mystic Elf custom race that's been around the net is pretty sweet!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 02, 2007, 03:39:22 PM »
Man, I can't wait till my PC arrives (I shipped it), so I can get back into Oblivion! Oh and I finally got to see what the game looks like with HDR!

By the way, that Mystic Elf custom race that's been around the net is pretty sweet!

What is this new custom race, X? :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 03, 2007, 05:40:20 AM »
What is this new custom race, X? :P
Well, it's not really new :P but it's very well crafted! With some tattoo options too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 02:50:16 PM »
News on new Oblivion expansion (Shivering Isles), which will, get this -- add around 30 hours of new content....

Oblivion expansion: First concrete details
Thursday 4-Jan-2007 10:14 AM 30-plus hours of new adventuring and encounter with mad god promised in Shivering Isles

First concrete details have emerged on Shivering Isles, Bethesda's first expansion pack for its RPG epic The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Revealed in the latest edition of PC Zone magazine, word is that the expansion will offer 30-plus hours of new adventuring, features new quests, monsters, expanded freeform gameplay - quest lines that branch more than before, for example - and a new land "that you can watch change according to your vital life-or-death decisions".

Setting the scene, it's explained that an ominous-looking gate has opened in Nibben Bay, the portal leading to a torn realm - the Shivering Isles - ruled by Sheogorath, the god of madness and dementia. Apparently, adventurers will meet the god and "plough through his trials", but it's additionally hinted that ultimately we may well be usurping the deity. A ETA of Q2 2007 has been given.

PC Zone #177, which hits shelves today, has first screenshots from Shivering Isles and further information on the expansion - so, go grab it Oblivion fans.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 03:12:33 PM »
Just realized something. The expansion needs to raise the skill cap to work well. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 04:50:55 PM »
Just realized something. The expansion needs to raise the skill cap to work well. :)

Hmmm.....what is the level cap in Oblivion???

From what we know, Shivering Isles will be leveled right to the player just like Oblivion....

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 07:47:13 PM »
Not if you're smart and playing with a slower-leveling mod (which you really should -- as far as I'm concerned it's the only real tweak the game system needs -- scaling difficulty is fine with me).  Anyway... woo!  I can't wait.  I'm back into the game a little bit again, trying out Knights of the Nine.  Haven't really gotten into it at all yet, though.  Got distracted.  I can't actually just sit and go through quests in this game, I always end up halfway across the province doing something else, then realize, "Oh wait, wasn't I supposed to be doing something else that was... important?"

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 10:43:58 PM »
Hey Que, can you suggest a good slower leveling mod? Also would I have to restart or can it be implemented at any time? I actually had to restart anyway after my new comp as I was an idiot and backed up the wrong folder. But yea an hour into the game, I really don't want to go through the dungeon crawl.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 11:23:43 PM »
I like the xp rate in Oblivion. Not too fast, not too slow, it's just right for me. I focus on specific skills (Sneak, Acrobatics, Archery, and Speech mainly) so they're usually far ahead of my minor skills. My favourite part about Oblivion's system is that you get xp for what you use and how often you use it.

The Mercantile skill is handy, but BethSoft did something kinda retarded.. You get experience for every sale you make, and if you sell 50 items individually they count as 50 separate sales, but if you sell the 50 items as a bundle it only counts as one sale! It's frustrating to click on the item then scroll down to "Sell 1" every  time, especially if you're selling like 100 units! I remember there was a plugin out there which basically set it so you sell a single item from a bundle with a single click (if you click 5 times on bundle you sell 5 items), it basically removes the sale amount and confirmation, but I can't find it anywhere now!

That's what I'm digging around for right now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Friday, January 05, 2007, 01:29:36 AM »
In interviews I swear they said they fixed that from Morrowind.  Did they really not?  Honestly, I don't really give a shit anyway.  You can make plenty of money in the long haul with a decent (i.e. not superhuman) mercantile skill, and there's so much game that you can really make ungodly loads of cash just by running around and doing lots of stuff.

And Pug, the one I use is linked in that big Oblivion mod thread that's floating around.  It's called "LevelSlow" I believe.  You should be able to find it pretty easily, and it lets you choose how much harder you want it to be for you to level.  I use one of the longer ones, but not the "epic" version which I think is a bit overkill.

EDIT - Oh, and it doesn't require a restart.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 05, 2007, 02:15:21 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #19 on: Friday, January 05, 2007, 02:51:21 AM »
Alright, I need someone to really teach me this game. I've been playing it, while its awesome at first as you feel the world is so huge and the possibilities are endless, Im getting this sense now that Im getting stuck again just like in Morrowind (surprise) where I get to force myself into tons of maddening redundancy to level my character to my liking. Either that, or I just have no patience for TES games.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Friday, January 05, 2007, 08:43:40 AM »
I really don't understand why you feel that way.  I mean, you've played WoW.  You know the complete and utter pinnacle of monotony.  Why is this worse for you exactly?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #21 on: Friday, January 05, 2007, 08:50:30 AM »
Maybe it's because he's all alone in Tamriel.. No companions.. No multiplayer.. Utterly alone.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Friday, January 05, 2007, 02:39:06 PM »
Maybe it's because he's all alone in Tamriel.. No companions.. No multiplayer.. Utterly alone.

I remember in ES III: Tribunal (Morrowind expansion #1), that added that you could bring one companion along w/ you -- a mercenary, who you paid.

It'd be cool to have an Oblivion expansion where it concentrated on the story having you bring even one companion w/ you for the whole ride.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #23 on: Saturday, January 06, 2007, 10:16:17 PM »
I don't know. I think it may be just the pacing. I mean I'm playing FFIII at the moment and I can deal with the repetitive battles I have to go through to level up mainly because I have a good idea of my overall progress of my characters, how powerful they are, what weaknesses I have to deal with. In Oblivion I have no sense whatsoever of this. All I know is that my enemies are leveling with me and I can only help but feel like Im getting weaker as I try to diverse my skills into shaping my character to what I want him to be good at. I'm just starting to find it frustrating and unrewarding.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, January 06, 2007, 10:56:10 PM »
Then I guess all I can really say is you must be "doing it wrong".  That's a pretty general statement, but I don't see how you could be getting weaker as you go.  Maybe in certain circumstances -- say if you have absolutely no equipment to help you deal with elemental magic attacks, or you don't have a couple of extra enchanted weapons lying around for certain situations -- but you say you're trying to diversify, so I dunno'.  Maybe you're *over*-diversifying?  Spreading yourself too thin?  Do you have any enchanted gear?  Have you gone through at least the opening missions of the Mages Guild so you can use the spellcrafting and enchanting stuff there?  Have you cleared some Oblivion gates and gotten a few Sigil Stones to magic up some of your gear if you still have no access to the magic school?  Have you neglected to spend any time soul trapping?  Have you gotten any of the uber-rewards from the Daedra lords by visiting their shrines?  Finished any non-main quest lines (i.e. Guild quest lines)?

I dunno', I just wish I knew what it was you were having trouble with.  All enemies in general, or a certain kind of enemy?  You getting beat down everywhere you go, or just in certain circumstances?  If it's the former, then I really don't know what to say other than to ask the questions I already did.  If it's the latter, all we need to do is figure out the problem circumstances and think about how to rectify them.

The primary things to remember with leveling are to not go apeshit and put all your eggs into one basket, but also not to try to diversify to the point that you aren't particularly good at anything.  There should be a few things you're better at than other stuff, but also some good backup skills that compliment your primary ones.  And they don't *have* to be skills that you've selected, either.  You can learn how to do anything, even if you've got like a 5 or something on it.  The thing to do for that is find a trainer, then pay for training as you go.  You can do five levels of training in a skill per level, so if you're level 10 and you're a swordsman but you decide you want to do some conjuration or alchemy to supplement, find a trainer in said skill and pay for five levels of training while you're level 10.  Then when you hit 11, you can go back and pay for another five levels.  When your stuff is really low, that shouldn't drain your income too badly as long as you're out making money now and again, since low level skills don't take a lot of cash to train.  Then once you've got your five purchased levels, just keep going out and using those skills to level them further.  Since leveling any non-selected skill for your class won't up your overall level at all, you can end up getting those skills very powerful without actually upping your level.  I haven't had to do this much with my current character, because the skill sets I chose work pretty great together, but I ended up deciding to switch to conjuration about halfway through my current game, which wasn't a main skill.  But since I had another skill that used intelligence also, it worked out well to have that one as a backup.  My summons at this point don't really do all that much on their own, but they cause enough of a distraction in combat to keep me alive that much longer.  Between that and the fact that I've got good gear, I'm kicking ass.  The only thing that'll really get me down is like 3 or 4 tough enemies at once.  I don't use enchants on weapons much, though I always have a backup enchanted weapon to use on ghosts, etc., but most of my gear bolsters at least one attribute or has something like spell/damage reflection, shield, or spell absorption.

Anyway, I'd love to help in some way.  I hate to see you getting frustrated when the game's so much fun.  But like we talked about before, TES games aren't quite your by-the-numbers RPG stuff when it comes to the mechanical systems, so they can be a little weird for some people.  Hopefully something I said helps, if not, try to be more specific and maybe I can figure something out.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #25 on: Saturday, January 06, 2007, 11:32:14 PM »
Well that sounds like it'll help a lot. I mainly want to be a combative skilled character with restoration abilities for magic. However since intelligence requires me to level skills that are all minor, I worry that leveling minor skills is a very bad thing. See I need to raise my intelligence to increase my magicka so I can get the more effective healing spells. The best one I can cast now doesnt heal me for squat and it takes up all my magicka. So I chose alchemy. Though I wish I knew where to find a trainer, apparently they keep trainers hidden, but I guess I could try going to the mage guilds. I was raising my alchemy by picking plants and such, but that was getting tedious. The main thing is raising my intelligence cause its the only way Im gonna get better healing spells. As for the sigil stones, I have one from the first gate I cleared, but that was apart of the main quest line, are there more you can clear on the side? I have a good amount of money right now, about 4k, I think thats good. I did have some enchanted gear, recharging them is fucking expensive so I havent bothered with keeping much of them.

Its just that dungeons are starting to become a bitch. I need to be able to heal. Enemies like trolls and skeleton warriors I can kill, but it takes forever. Some dungeons are easy though.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, January 07, 2007, 12:42:58 AM »
I remember in ES III: Tribunal (Morrowind expansion #1), that added that you could bring one companion along w/ you -- a mercenary, who you paid.

It'd be cool to have an Oblivion expansion where it concentrated on the story having you bring even one companion w/ you for the whole ride.
There are a couple of companion plugins out there, some are pretty decent with a lot of options (some sexy options too :P).

I only tried the earlier version of them, they're probably improved by now. Check out the categories on TES Source.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, January 07, 2007, 12:55:44 AM »
It sounds like you just mostly aren't aware of your options, Pyro.  Firstly, start soul trapping!  Even if you just get a super shitty, low-level spell, hopefully you can at least get one that lasts a few seconds, and that's really all you need.  Get yourself some soul gems, then cast soul trap when the creature is about to die.  Kill it while the spell is on, and it'll vacuum its soul right into your gem, which you can then use to recharge your items.  You can also use soul gems to enchant gear once you get into the Mages Guild.  The better the soul inside the gem (petty, lesser, common, greater, grand, etc.), the more it'll charge up your enchanted stuff or the better the enchant you can get on your weapon or armor.  I highly recommend doing some constant effect stuff on armor or rings/amulets.  Get some spell absorption or magic/damage reflection... shield spells... whatever.  Any nice constant effect stats are a real plus if you're finding yourself getting swatted down a lot.  Or you could go the other route and try to beef up your chosen fighting skill, try to up a few stats, whatever.

And remember it can be hard to find the right spells, trainers, etc.  The game doesn't spell everything out for you, so you sometimes have to use logic, guess, or just hunt for stuff.  Talking to people can help, but a FAQ might be your best bet.  You can get resto spells at most cathedrals, and I know at least one Mages Guild has an alchemy trainer.  Alchemy is definitely a good way to supplement your other stuff.  It can be a little tedious picking ingredients, but you can get a lot of them just as you go, especially when you start fighting harder daedric enemies and going into Oblivion gates.  Poisons can make your life a hell of a lot easier, and having access to large stores of healing items is always nice.  Then the stuff you end up making that you can't use or don't want, you can sell for profit!  Pretty hard to go wrong with alchemy.  Healing is important, and if you don't have magic, you better have pots.  Also, don't forget that you can wait around for an hour to regain your mana, and there's no real downside to using the wait command for stuff.  The game doesn't get mad at you or anything.  Likewise, you can sleep if you're in a dungeon and there's a free bedroll.  Nothing wrong with taking a few hours to nap and get some health back.

And yes, you'll start seeing Oblivion gates all over the fucking place, to the point where you'll probably be half ready to close them as quickly as possible just because they piss you off.  They're basically another kind of arbitrary dungeon, except once you "beat" them they stay beaten.  And there are, of course, plenty to do also for the story.

Lastly... don't forget the difficulty slider!  We play games to have fun, and Oblivion tries its best to scale itself so that the game always remains so.  If it's too hard and you just aren't quite getting whatever it is you think you should be, just knock the slider down a bit.  There's no shame in it.  I had to do it with my first character a couple of times.  Especially with TES games, there isn't much point in trying to be gung-ho to impress somebody with how hardcore you are.  Might as well just have a good time and enjoy the rich universe.  Eventually you'll get more used to the system and your next go around (or the next game in the series) will feel more natural, probably.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, January 18, 2007, 03:21:48 PM »
Announcement for Shivering Isle finally made -- but it is also going to be available for X360, as well.

PC version to be sold at retail stores, while X360 version to be purchased as a DLC only.

Press Release   
Source: Bethesda Softworks

Bethesda Softworks Announces The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles(TM) - Official Expansion for Oblivion
Thursday January 18, 8:00 am ET

Spring Release Planned for Official Expansion for 2006 Game of the Year as Oblivion Sales Top Three Million Units

ROCKVILLE, Md., Jan. 18 /PRNewswire/ -- Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax Media company, today confirmed the upcoming release of The Elder Scrolls IV®: Shivering Isles(TM), the official expansion for the award-winning The Elder Scrolls IV®: Oblivion(TM). Shivering Isles will be released for Xbox 360(TM) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows this Spring. Details are presented in the exclusive cover story for Official Xbox Magazine's (US) February issue, which hits newsstands this week.
Cool.

Shivering Isles features more than 30 hours of new gameplay and allows you to explore an entirely new plane of Oblivion -- the realm of Sheogorath, the Daedric Prince of Madness. Shivering Isles adds to the existing world of Oblivion so you can continue playing with your existing save game/character, or create an all new character just to explore the new content.
Cool.

"We're thrilled with the response that Oblivion has received to date and feel that Shivering Isles will offer a whole new and different experience to anyone who played and enjoyed Oblivion," said Todd Howard, executive producer for The Elder Scrolls.

Within the Realm of Sheogorath, players can explore the two extreme sides of the god's madness -- the sublimely creative and the completely psychotic. Something is happening to the Shivering Isles and Sheogorath himself looks to you to be his champion and defend his realm and its inhabitants from destruction. Do you have the strength to survive his trials, tame a realm fraught with paranoia and despair, and wear the mantle of a God?

The Shivering Isles features a bizarre landscape split between the two sides -- Mania and Dementia -- filled with vast, twisting dungeons mirroring the roots of the trees they are buried within. You'll encounter more than a dozen new creatures including hideous insects, Flesh Atronachs, skeletal Shambles, amphibious Grummites. Throughout your adventure, you will discover all new items, ingredients, spells, and more, and have the talented craftsmen of Crucible and Bliss forge new armor and weapons just for you.
I hope there's a lot of new unique loot in this expansions....Oblivion could ALWAYS use MORE unique loot.

"The enthusiastic response we've received to our downloadable content has been overwhelming, and we're excited to bring Oblivion fans a full expansion," said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks. "The world we've created for Shivering Isles is unlike anything you've seen or played in Oblivion and we can't wait for folks to play it."
I can't wait, either. :)

Released in March 2006 for Xbox 360(TM) videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows, Oblivion sold more than three million units in 2006. Among the countless awards and accolades it has garnered to date are Game of the Year and RPG of the Year honors from numerous outlets, including Spike TV's 2006 Video Game Awards, G4's G-phoria, the Golden Joystick Awards, GameSpot.com, ShackNews.com, Voodoo Extreme, FiringSquad.com, and many more. Oblivion received the #1 ranking on PC Gamer's (UK) list of the top 100 games of all time and is the highest rated Xbox 360 game of all time according to Gamerankings.com.
Sweet.

The Windows version of Shivering Isles will be available at retail and is co-published by Bethesda Softworks and 2K Games, while the Xbox 360 version is currently planned for release through Xbox Live® online entertainment network by Bethesda Softworks. For more information on Oblivion, Shivering Isles, or The Elder Scrolls, visit the official web site: www.elderscrolls.com.
Ahhhh......so X360 gets this as a DLC, while PC'ers can get it at retail stores.
I wonder if the PC version of Shivering can be bougth as a DLC online for the PC.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, January 20, 2007, 08:31:49 PM »
BethSoft throws up a FAQ for Shivering Isles

When will Shivering Isles be available?
The worldwide release will be this Spring. We’ll announce the specific release date as we get closer to release.

Is it just for PC, or for Xbox 360 too?
Shivering Isles will be available for both Windows and Xbox 360. The Windows version will only be available in stores. The Xbox 360 version will be available for download via Xbox Live. A retail version is not possible for the 360 at this time. Both versions will be released simultaneously, worldwide.
Cool.

Will localized versions be available?
Yes, it will be localized into French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
Ok.

Is this just another gate to Oblivion like the ones in the main quest?
No. Oblivion is made of lots of planes, one for each Daedric Prince. Oblivion featured the fiery realm of Mehrunes Dagon. The Shivering Isles is the realm of Sheogorath, the Daedric Prince of Madness. It’s a place unlike anything you’ve seen in Oblivion.
Cool.

I like the whole "Madness" thing -- that's what I liked about Almalexia in Tribunal.

How big is Shivering Isles?
Shivering Isles is about ¼ the size Cyrodiil, where Oblivion takes place.
Good to know.

How many hours of gameplay should I expect?
About 30 hours of new content, including an all new main quest -- in addition to miscellaneous quests you can complete, lots of landscape to explore, dungeons to discover, etc.
Count me in.

Do I have to create a new character to play Shivering Isles?
Shivering Isles works with your existing save game/character from Oblivion, or you can start a new game of Oblivion and create a new character just for Shivering Isles.
Sweet.

Can I continue my quests in Oblivion once I start Shivering Isles?
You can go back and forth between Oblivion and Shivering Isles with your character whenever you like.
Just like Morrowind + its expansions -- sweet.

Will it be available for the PLAYSTATION®3 system?
It is our intention to make it available for PLAYSTATION 3 this year, but no release date has been set.
Ooooh....so I bet this is why the PS3 version of Oblivion was delayed -- to throw this Shivering Isles piece ALSO into the PS3 version of Oblivion.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 08:49:41 AM »
The more I read the more exciting it sounds!

I just started playing Oblivion again (while my internet connection was down over the last 4-5 days), and this time my character's a Knight! So I'm using heavy armour for a change, and I rush in to hack 'n slash! Man, it is so much easier to fight directly as a combat class! With any of the stealth classes it's pretty tedious work to try to take on any enemies head on.

Oh and this game really livens up visually with HDR switched on! I'm currently playing on an old Philips 15" monitor (big drop from my old 19"), but it looks great on lower resolutions now ;D The monitor can't handle anything above 1024x768 @ 60Hz, so I'm running it at 800x600 @ 85Hz and it looks great! It runs even smoother than before :P I have a new-found appreciation for small monitors and lower resolutions ;D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Friday, January 26, 2007, 04:10:20 PM »
Interview w/ Pete Hines of BethSoft

Price Point, Further Oblivion Add-Ons?

However, when asked as to the possibility of releasing smaller add-on content specifically on top of Shivering Isles, the Bethesda representative [Pete Hines] noted that this was not planned.

“I don't know that we would ever release downloadable content specific to Shivering Isles,” he responded. “However, we do have one or two new pieces of content planned for the future for the main game, though these are obviously not of the scope of Shivering Isles.”

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, January 27, 2007, 10:04:51 AM »
Not bad. Though I'd really love to see a full expansion along the lines of Tribunal or Bloodmoon, and hopefully Shivering Isles will be just that.

By the way, Knights of the Nine is pretty great! It's not quite as grand as the main quest of Oblivion, but it has its charms and amazing moments.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, January 27, 2007, 10:08:07 AM »
Not bad. Though I'd really love to see a full expansion along the lines of Tribunal or Bloodmoon, and hopefully Shivering Isles will be just that.
W/ 30 hours of new content and a new land-mass, sure looks like it to me. :)

By the way, Knights of the Nine is pretty great! It's not quite as grand as the main quest of Oblivion, but it has its charms and amazing moments.
I ain't touched OBlivion since I installed Knights of the Nine. All I did was boot up Knights -- and then put it on hold, since I was playing NWN2.

Yuh, and NWN2 has been on hold since I heard of the next patch and started other games, such as Dark Messiah (which I finished) and GW: Nightfall. :P

All this makes me want to go play Knights of the Nine now... :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, February 01, 2007, 03:08:29 PM »
Interview w/ lead designer Mark Nelson of Bethesda Softworks on the Shivering Isles expansion.

2006 was a huge year for Bethesda Softworks as they released their best selling fantasy RPG Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. This spring a full fledged expansion pack, Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles will be released as a PC retail product and as a downloadable expansion for Xbox 360 owners. FiringSquad got a chance to chat with the expansion's lead designer Mark Nelson to find out more about their plans for Shivering Isles.

FiringSquad: First, when did development of Shivering Isles actually begin? Did id start right after Oblivion was released?

Mark Nelson: Yes. We started the development right after we released Oblivion.
I figured as much

FiringSquad: How hard was it to create a new land for the expansion when the original game was already so big?

Mark Nelson: Creating a space that big is always challenging, as you don't want to create a world that's big and empty. The world needs to be filled with things to see and do. That's what Elder Scrolls games are known for, though -- huge, open worlds that give the player room to explore.
Very true.

FiringSquad: Will the art style of Shivering Isles be radically different than the original game?

Mark Nelson: Absolutely. We always want the player to know that he's playing in the expansion material. The Shivering Isles has a very different feel. It's much less of a traditional medieval fantasy look, and has more of an exotic feel.
Sounds cool to me.

FiringSquad: What sort of new character options will the player have when creating a new character for Shivering Isles?

Mark Nelson: The character creation system from the base game hasn't changed for the expansion. Still, there are tons of new clothing, armor, and weapon options in the expansion to allow the player to further customize his character.
Okie.

FiringSquad: What are the dev team's favorite new monsters in the expansion?

Mark Nelson: There are so many, it's hard to choose. The Scalon is one of my new favorites. They're large, hulking, amphibious creatures that can really startle you. It doesn't hurt that they have the ability to become invisible when they are about to jump out and attack.
Sweet.

FiringSquad: What other content and gameplay elements have been added to Shivering Isles?

Mark Nelson: There are a ton of new quests for the player to experience in the Shivering Isles. In addition to the main quest, there are a bunch of miscellaneous quests spread throughout the world. I'm very proud of the quests. I think they're among the most expansive, interesting quests that have ever appeared in an Elder Scrolls game.
Got to love having side quests. :)

FiringSquad: The decision was made to distribute the expansion via Xbox Live for Xbox 360 owners, rather than a retail expansion. Why was this decision made?

Mark Nelson: Right now, a retail expansion isn’t an option on the 360. We’ve talked to Microsoft about it, and continue to do so, but our ability to do that isn’t up to us at this point. Certainly it’s an option we’d like to have, as you tend to sell more games when you make it available in as many places as possible.
That's Microsoft for you....

FiringSquad: Will there also continue to be smaller content updates for the game or has that program now ended?

Mark Nelson: We're considering a couple more right now, but past that, we have no definite plans.
Sweet. More DLC stuff, eh?

Hope they compile a bunch more on disc -- consider me in, if they do (just like the did w/ KOTN Expansion!) :)

FiringSquad: If Shivering Isles is successful will there be more expansion packs for Elder Scrolls IV or is the team moving on to other projects?

Mark Nelson: Currently, we have no plans to release another expansion to Oblivion.
I could go for more Oblivion expansions. :)

FiringSquad: Finally is there anything else that you wish to say about Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles?

Mark Nelson: We're very excited about the Shivering Isles expansion, as we feel it really represents the best of what Oblivion has to offer. As always, I’d like to thank our fans for the support they’ve given to us over the years, and for their support of Oblivion. They are a passionate group, and we don't always see eye-to-eye, but we listen to what they say, and we try to respond to them as best we can. Hopefully, this expansion will bring them many hours of enjoyment as they explore the world of the Shivering Isles.
Sounds good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, February 06, 2007, 03:24:43 PM »
1Up has a preview for the X360 version of this expansion

With a string of popular packs, Oblivion set the early example for what can be done with console downloadable content. A diverse collection that covered everything from Horse Armor to the completely integrated quest series in the Knights of the Nine kept fans happily adventuring in the realm of Cyrodiil. But for an expansion pack, developer Bethesda Softworks wanted to step out of the "more of the same" mold and go beyond just adding to its traditional fantasy world of stone castles and verdant forests. Just getting to the new Shivering Isles rips you completely out of the mundane domain of Cyrodiil, to be deposited in Sheogorath, the plane of the Daedric Prince of Madness.
Okay.

Well, that's not entirely correct. Before you can play with madness you must pass a little test to gain entry. It all begins when an island mysteriously appears in Niben Bay a couple days in game time after you install the expansion (yes, you can just rest and skip right to it). On said island, a glowing portal in the form of the gaping maw shared by two maniacal looking faces carved into either side of an enormous stone head beckons. Inside waits Haskill, Chamberlain to the Prince. He explains that this is an invitation to the other side, one you're not forced take, one that could leave you stumbling around a mindless vegetable like an NPC you might encounter when you first hit the island, and one that being an intrepid adventurer you of course can't refuse.
Interesting.

Once through you find yourself in a walled-in little village known as the Fringe that sits outside the gates to Sheogorath. Here's where the test comes in: to gain entry you need to defeat a grotesque giant gatekeeper that resembles a certain boss out of Resident Evil 4. While challenges like this in the original game had specific solutions, for the expansion Bethesda wanted to open up freedom in solving quests to match the open feeling you get roaming the world. So, you're welcome to try to charge in, sword flailing, but the developers let you know this might be a little difficult by having NPCs lead you to watch the gatekeeper handily wipe out a team of knights in plate mail.
Okay.

By poking around the village some, and talking with the locals, a couple of options present themselves. You can recruit an archer to fight with you by helping him take out the crypt guardians protecting bones he can use to make magic arrows.
Nice.

But poke around a little more and you'll run into the apprentice of the sorceress who created the gatekeeper. A little carefully applied speechcraft later, you'll know that the sorceress visits her creation every night at midnight, and that the tears she cries during these rendezvous are poison to her creation. Collected from a handkerchief she drops, they can be applied to your weapon to give you the upper hand against the giant. Or, do both: get the archer to help and gather the tears to poison your sword. When you do face the monster it certainly won't hurt to have every possible advantage.
Awesome. I like options. :)

Choice figures prominently throughout the expansion. The gate itself even offers you two doors from which to choose. Both lead to Sheogorath, but depending which you chose you'll either set foot in Mania or Dementia first. Imagine the realm as the projected psyche of the Prince of Madness, divided somewhat like what Freud described as the id and super-ego. In Mania excesses reign supreme; it's a bacchanalian celebration gone awry and everything glistens with an unbelievable sheen. Head to the other side and you get the baser side, and a real sense of descending into Dementia. Everything is dark and foreboding creating a twisted landscape Tim Burton could be proud of. Nowhere is the difference more pronounced than in the main city of each side. Guards in gilded armor patrol the avenues of Mania's Bliss while over in Dimentia the buildings seem to be closing in on you in the dirty narrow alleys of Crucible.
Cool.

A visit to the Prince reveals the reasoning behind his invitation. Just as Cyrodiil faced the end of an era, so too does Sheogorath. It passes with an event called the Greymarch that wipes the slate clean, including the Prince, for a new beginning. But this Prince hopes to defy the progression by finding a human champion capable of halting the Greymarch. As you adventure in both aspects of Sheogorath, completing quests will help you rise in favor with the residents to become that champion. Before reaching the ultimate showdown you'll also have to take out your competition in court, the Duke of Mania and the Duchess of Dementia. And again there isn't one set way to take care of them. For instance one way to eliminate the Duke avoids direct confrontation, instead letting you help him to a fatal overdose.
Nice!

One of your first tasks from the Prince will be to get the gatekeeper for the realm back up and running. But there are already some issues to deal with that need to be taken care of right away. Before there was a gatekeeper, mundane folks were discouraged from entering by the legend of the Xedilian dungeon. Its riches lured many, who then perished never to be heard from again. With nothing to stop them from coming, mundane adventurers have already shown up there, but the dungeon hasn't seen any action in a long while.
Sweet.

You'll have to help its caretaker get the place back up to snuff again, and in so doing enjoy the wicked delight of getting to take out the adventuring party, Dungeon Keeper-style. With that out of the way, you can get to working with the sorceress to create a new gatekeeper. From a gory collection of body parts including arms, heads, and hearts -- each with unique special traits -- you select the ingredients used to conjure up the new gatekeeper in a suitably spectacular summoning ritual.
Okay.

After passing the gate from Fringe, head into the northern hemisphere and you find yourself in fanciful Mania, home to places like the Laughing Coast and Saints Watch; take the road south and you enter the darker realm of Dementia where you find Shallow Grave and Heretics Horn. And there, right where you can picture it all coming together at the stem of the brain sits New Sheoth, capital of Sheogorath, and home to the court of the Daedric Prince of Madness.

Along with the serious stuff, you're bound to run across many situations along the way that lead to a chuckle or two by virtue of being in a world entirely constructed from a collection of neurosis. Because the expansion features fewer NPCs the team was able to go into more depth with each, fleshing out their personalities more completely, and with that giving them more to say. This figures directly into the quest design that aims to take advantage of these eccentric characters and their unique situations. Their warped psyches present plenty of convoluted, entertaining problems to solve, but it's not a direct attempt to be comedic. Bethesda feels that jokes never work well in games, so don't expect to see any sort of wink-at-the-camera stuff.
Okay.

Besides plenty to keep you busy you'll also find ample rewards for your efforts. Crafters will want to seek out the smiths in Bliss and Crucible, each of which will be able to create a powerful new set of armor. In Bliss you can put together a sleek suit from amber collected around Mania. In Crucible you can, of course, forge a more sinister looking set of plate from madness ore collected around Dementia. And in either case matrixes found throughout the realm can be used by the smith during the process to imbue your new gear with additional magical capabilities.
Cool.

The new Dawnfang sword is also sure to be sought out by many. Get 12 kills with it and it becomes more powerful, leveling up in a sense, but the catch is that it resets every 12 hours with the cycle of the sun. But as the only item in the game that does anything like that, its appeal is undeniable.
Ooooh......interesting weapon.

With so much to play with, you're sure to want to get to it right away when you get Shivering Isles, and the way Oblivion handles character progression lets you do that. Because the enemies all scale along with you as you progress, you can start a new character and almost right away head into the expansion. While that might not be completely realistic -- there's a few basics you'll want like a better weapon, or a new spell -- you can make a quick run through Cyrodiil and be on your way in good time.
Cool.

That's a good thing because you'll likely be pretty anxious after waiting for the expansion pack to finish downloading. From the amount of content on display it's sure to be huge, and, at least presently, the only way it will be available is as a download. That also means that this expansion will require the hard drive. It's a tough pill to swallow for Oblivion fans who own the core 360 system, but, for the 30 or so hours of new questing alone, one that will be hard to resist. From how strong a pull to return to Oblivion just this short time with the expansion exerted, don't be surprised to see its name popping up on your Friends List all over again in 2007.
Good thing I got the PC version of Oblivion. :P
And will go after the PC retail box for this expansion. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles (Expansion) -- Planned for Spring 2007
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, February 06, 2007, 05:47:08 PM »
Lookin' good!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles (Expansion) -- Planned for Spring 2007