Author Topic: Shinedown  (Read 15694 times)

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
Shinedown
« on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 11:12:09 PM »
Shinedown's fucking awesome.  I just grabbed their newest cd, "Us and Them," and it's great.  One of the reasons I like bands like Soundgarden so much is because I love a good vocalist like Chris Cornelll.  I've gotta say, though, the vocalist for Shinedown is by far the best vocalist in rock to come along in a very long while.

"Us and them" has a ton of awesome fucking songs, and Brent Smith's vocals are fucking powerful.  "Heroes," "Save Me," and "I Dare You," are amazing fucking songs, and his voice shines in all three.  Their cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man" is really awesome as well.  I definitely recommend them if you're looking for -- without a doubt -- the most talented new vocalist out there backed by a badass rock band.

Offline JacksRag(e)

Re: Shinedown
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 15, 2006, 12:09:05 AM »
I really dig the acoustic version of Save Me.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 15, 2006, 06:39:09 AM »
Shinedown's fucking awesome.  I just grabbed their newest cd, "Us and Them," and it's great.  One of the reasons I like bands like Soundgarden so much is because I love a good vocalist like Chris Cornelll.  I've gotta say, though, the vocalist for Shinedown is by far the best vocalist in rock to come along in a very long while.
It's funny you mention that.  I think the lead singer in Shinedown sounds a lot like Chris Cornell when he's really belting it out.  So I wasn't surprised when I saw a Shinedown topic and you were the author.

I haven't listened to a lot of their stuff, but I do really like "Save Me."  I haven't heard the accoustic version.  I'll have to check it out.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 15, 2006, 07:20:03 AM »
I don't remember making this topic, probably due to acute alcohol poisioning, so when I saw it this morning I was like "awesome, somebody posted about Shinedown."  Then I laughed

But yeah, he does a little, now that you mention it.  He's got a strong voice.  I love bands with good vocals because they're so rare now.  There really aren't many legitimately good singers out there anymore.  Carrying a tune isn't hard, but range like this guy is hard to come by.

The acoustic of "Save Me" is on the album, as well as an acoustic version of "I Dare You," which is really awesome.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 08:39:20 PM »
Nobody likes good music here.  I'm rocking the fuck out to "I dare you" right now.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 08:49:03 PM »
I find that the Internet is full of people that think that if a song is played on the radio (especially a popular song), it's just manufactured for the masses and hence crap.

Like my brother, he listens to a bunch of shit I've never heard of from a bunch of nobodies... he snickered and said, "Haha, you listen to modern rock."  Screw him.  He sucks at life.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 11:28:37 PM »
I don't think just because something is onthe radio it sucks, I just think most of what's on the radio *does* suck.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 08:59:54 AM »
There are a few radio stations around me who aren't afraid to play non radio-friendly songs.  There are even radio-friendly songs that kick all kinds of ass (all of Stadium-Arcadium for example?).  Most popular music really is shit though.

Music snobs are even worse -- you're listening to a band nobody knows, how does that make them good?  Sorry, your taste in music is not better than everybody elses.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 09:11:59 AM »
I dunno', I think the whole music snob hate thing is overdone.  I think music snobs feel superior because they try harder.  Anybody can turn on the radio and find something cool, but music snobs go well out of their way to find something that few other people even know exists.  And, I think in a lot of cases, they've gone well out of their way to find something that suits them better, something that's more personally meaningful to them.  Because most music snobs have fairly specific tastes and spend a *lot* of time sifting through music and checking out different things.  It doesn't mean they have better taste necessarily, it just means they're better educated.  Most music snobs are snobs for a reason, and to that degree I can understand why they feel the way they do.  Anybody can find the Chili Peppers by flipping on the radio, which plays one of their songs five times an hour.  Not everybody can find the Mars Volta or Oceansize or Poor Old Lu.  It's just like it is with hardcore gamers vs. casual gamers.  The snobbishness can be annoying, but it isn't entirely unjustified most of the time.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 09:47:10 AM »
Why does it matter how hard you try?  If you find something you like, who gives a fuck?  You're better because you spent months finding some band and I found something I liked by flipping a radio dial?  Fuck that, I think that's a bullshit response Que.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 10:16:29 AM »
I see the relation to hardcore vs casual gamer, but what makes music snobs annoying is that they'll use any opportunity to tell you that their music is better than everybody else's in the worst "holier than thou" attitude -- like they're smarter people for knowing about underground music.  When's the last time you called somebody out for playing Tony Hawk?

Not to mention, a lot of the time their music does actually suck.  You know, those really, really, really indie bands are never good.  Mars Volta is not that indie, and I do like them.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=1B8BD5B8397744BC

In the spirit of the thread though, heres Heroes by Shinedown.  A good example of an awesome song that I got from radio.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 10:22:26 AM »
Scott, you obviously didn't read my post too thoroughly.  Or I can't get my point across right.  My point is that the music hardcore music nuts find tends to be far more mechanically interesting and creative than the stuff you hear on the radio.  The reason they try so hard to find bands that aren't mainstream isn't always just because they want to listen to things that aren't mainstream, it's because there is other music out there that they think is a lot more interesting and that personally suits their ear better.  I could be an average guy and listen to the Chili Peppers like everybody else and that would be fine.  I like them pretty well, so that's cool.  But I love music and have taken the time to find a lot of other bands that I like a lot better.  If I'd never looked, I'd never have found them.  Why?  Because the radio doesn't play them and nobody else I know listens to them.  So the fact that I took the time to educate myself on what's out there means that I found a bunch of bands that I like twice as much as what I hear on the radio.  That doesn't make radio music inherently shitty, it just means that if you try harder, you'll often find something that speaks to you on a deeper level.

No, it isn't a bullshit response.  It's the difference between being somebody who cares enough about music to listen to what everyone else is listening to and a person who cares enough about it to find something off the beaten path.  It's the difference between the guy that takes a hike with his girlfriend up the hill for a picnic and the guy who climbs Mount fucking Everest.  Why is it so hard to accept that even where the appreciation of art is concerned some people care more and are better educated?  It's no different with music than it is with anything else.

And no, I'm not talking about stupid teenagers who think that because they found a band before everyone else that they're somehow cooler, or the little shithead who sits in his basement all day listening to Blenderhead and thinking he's cool, ignoring the fact that people don't listen to Blenderhead for a reason.  I'm talking about people like myself or Hoob who spend lots of time with music and greatly enjoy it.  We like some of what's played on the radio, we appreciate plenty of more mainstream acts, but we also have gone out of our way to find other music that a lot of people probably haven't heard of, and in my experience most of that off-the-beaten-path music is what I find most engaging on a personal level.

EDIT - Again, I don't think any lover of music should go around saying that good music sucks just because it's more popular or whatever.  I'm just trying to say that yes, there is a lot of underground music that *is* more creative and more interesting because it does something that your average person doesn't want to take the time to understand.  When it comes to music, there is a lot of stuff that your average person doesn't grasp because he has no musical background, no education in theory and such.  Just like people appreciate paintings because they're "pretty" but a painter can better appreciate what techniques are used and such.  That's all I'm trying to say.  Music "snobs" suck, but I don't think just because somebody likes a lot of out of the way music means they're a snob, neither does it apply just because someone has a complaint with a mainstream band.  I get labeled that a lot and I don't like it because I don't think it applies.  I know a lot more about music than some, I listen to some obscure shit, but I also like mainstream bands and if I think something is good, I really don't care who listens to it.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 10:38:01 AM »
I think we're all trying to say the same thing here...

A "music snob" is somebody who thinks they are better than everybody else because of what they listen to.  "Music snobs" suck, but the music they listen to isn't what makes them suck, it's their attitudes.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 11:18:17 AM »
On the other hand, very few of us would think of ourselves as snobs.  The label is commonly imposed by the Great Unwashed on those who are less unwashed.  (I'm not saying there aren't real snobs.  Sure there are.)  Someone with a sense of humor about human nature may just go ahead and call himself a snob in friendly company.  That was my take on Que's initial "snob" post.

In terms of music, I know exactly what he means.  There's a lot of popular music.  A fraction of it is actually good.  There's a lot of unpopular music.  A fraction of that also is good.  Some of us would go out of our way to find and enjoy good music, even if it's unpopular, and makes the pop-culture addicts shake their heads and call us snobs, or worse.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 11:28:17 AM »
Anybody can turn on the radio and find something cool, but music snobs go well out of their way to find something that few other people even know exists.

I know you weren't saying that, but it sounded like you were saying that it doesn't matter if you found something cool on the radio because you didn't try hard enough. Again I know you weren't saying that, because if it is cool, it is cool right? What else matters?

For the record, I can't stand most music on the radio, yet I still give it a shot. I mostly use what you guys post for my music, and will look up Shinedown.

It doesn't mean they have better taste necessarily, it just means they're better educated.

It might sound bastardish, but I kinda agree with it. It is the same with movie buffs and film critics. Critics might bash something you like, but that is because they watch a lot more flicks than the average Joe, and are more adept at noticing recycled crap.

However no one calls a movie/music critic a snob because of their opinion, but rather how they present their opinion. It is one thing to be better educated, and another to be openly disdainful of another's tastes.

what makes music snobs annoying is that they'll use any opportunity to tell you that their music is better than everybody else's in the worst "holier than thou" attitude

Yup, that's where it gets wrong.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 11:33:54 AM »
I am listening to Heroes now, thanks poomc!

I remember hearing this before. I can't remember ever hearing anything from Soundgarden, but this guy sounds so much like that dude in Audioslave. Not just the voice, but the style and how he chooses his chorus points. Weird.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:32:20 PM »
Well that'd make sense because that dude in Audioslave is the same dude from Soundgarden  :P

Anyway, heres the acoustic of Save Me that hoob mentioned.

http://download.yousendit.com/25089CC83C97299C

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:34:51 PM »
Nobody likes good music here.  I'm rocking the fuck out to "I dare you" right now.

Its funny that we're talking about music snobs yet this comment is made.

But I'm with Que, I think after some time of listening to more challenging music that your taste does inevitable change it also becomes more sharper and toned and you understand more what you enjoy in music so you look harder for it when you listen. I've tried to share my personal tastes here alot but like poom said, nobody else likes it save but a few people. Its funny because I used to have the exact same opinion as scott about people who liked underground stuff, then I got sick of most of the new bands that were popularized by the radio, I just couldnt get into them so I went out of my way to find bands like the ones I used to love, and in turn I did find stuff that was technically more amazing than my favorite bands.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 03:42:47 PM »
It's the circle of life.  And now Pyro shows me cool bands I've never heard that I end up loving.  Arsis was the last one he told me about that I really got into.  And I'm spreading the love after my friend Damascus from PlanetQuake showed me all kinds of crazy underground metal.  He was the guy who introduced me to Meshuggah, and obviously I like them a whole fucking lot.  So now I do what I can to promote the same love for music and same dedication to people really doing something new and creative.  That's why I've been pimping Anata so much lately.  One of the few really and truly great death metal acts in the business currently, but the large majority of metalheads are still stuck listening to the same three riffs recycled over and over again because they've never even heard of Anata.  I think that's another thing with *actual* music "snobs" is that they don't care about spreading the word, they just care about listening to "better" music.  A music lover who isn't a snob will find something out of the way and then try his damnedest to get everybody to listen to it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 09:21:09 PM »
Its funny that we're talking about music snobs yet this comment is made.

I think that was in jest maybe.