Author Topic: Word is out on Lost Planet at 1Up.  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Word is out on Lost Planet at 1Up.
« on: Wednesday, January 10, 2007, 01:31:32 AM »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Word is out on Lost Planet at 1Up.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 10, 2007, 02:03:29 AM »
IGN gave this game the rating it deserves, an 8.5!

Ha, that comment slays me. IGN idiots are so funny.

But that sucks about the game, seems like its getting to be hit or miss with these 360 titles.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 10, 2007, 02:48:03 AM »
damn it. there was quite a bit of hype around this one and i wanted it to pay off. the 360 really needs really needs some more killer apps, since GoW is the only "must have" title so far.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 10, 2007, 07:41:08 AM »
Uh, Dead Rising?  But yes, we need more.  And it'll come.  Personally, my hopes weren't nearly as high for this as most people's were.  I was still expecting a little more from it, regardless.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 10, 2007, 09:23:41 AM »
i wouldn't call dead rising a must have title. i played the demo and it seemed fun enough, but i can't imagine shelling out £40 for more of the same. i'm sure it's a great game, but i think it's probably more of a niche title than something with a mass appeal. however much of an injustice it is, i don't think it's really assisting the sale of the 360 console in the same way that MG:S, zelda or halo do for their respective consoles.

and yes, i hope the next big game comes soon. i need more stuff to play.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 10, 2007, 10:05:34 AM »
I haven't really followed the game at all, so I don't know how it is.

But I gotta say that I do not agree with 1Up reviews most of the time.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 10, 2007, 03:30:05 PM »
I played the demo, and it looked promising.  Too bad if the action doesn't hold up in the full game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 10, 2007, 06:46:43 PM »
i wouldn't call dead rising a must have title. i played the demo and it seemed fun enough, but i can't imagine shelling out £40 for more of the same. i'm sure it's a great game, but i think it's probably more of a niche title than something with a mass appeal. however much of an injustice it is, i don't think it's really assisting the sale of the 360 console in the same way that MG:S, zelda or halo do for their respective consoles.

and yes, i hope the next big game comes soon. i need more stuff to play.

Well, I'd disagree with you.  I know a number of people who bought a 360 for DR, myself included.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 10, 2007, 07:42:25 PM »
Yeah well people bought the PS2 for games like Smuggler's Run and Tekken Tag Tournament at the beginning of its life.  That doesn't mean Smuggler's Run is a "must have."

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 10, 2007, 07:57:34 PM »
I've got the games I want so far, and I'm happy to wait for more to come out. I don't feel that this console needs must have games I think it's got a good library now and like any other platform it'll just keep growing.
That said must have games are often over rated anyway, just give me the good games I like to play.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 10, 2007, 08:26:48 PM »
Nor does it mean that DR is anywhere near as low-caliber a game as Smuggler's Run or Tag.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, January 11, 2007, 03:30:50 AM »
Well, I'd disagree with you.  I know a number of people who bought a 360 for DR, myself included.

That's what... two people? :P

Just kidding. From what I see it isn't a must have title, but one those games that is really loved by many, but leaves a lot of others a bit frustrated.

Anyway the 360 does have more killer aps than the Wii or the PS3. Neither have anything, though you can be sure that the PS3 will have some killer apps in the future. The Wii has been pretty ho-hum so far... the only killer app it has is actually a gamecube game.

Then again the 360 has been out longer.

If I had a 360 I'd buy the following for sure:

Gears of War
Dead Rising
Smackdown vs Raw 2007

Games I wouldn't buy because I have them on the PC, but consider to be good options:

Top Spin 2
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Splinter Cell: Double Agent

« Last Edit: Thursday, January 11, 2007, 07:30:40 AM by Pugnate »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, January 11, 2007, 04:03:05 AM »
. . . and I have that Gamecube game, on the Gamecube.

I think I'm just about to move on from Kameo.  I've spent a lot of time on it and on the Live stuff (demos, Lumines, Assault Heroes, trial versions of several other arcade games).  I played some Dead Rising, and I like the premise, but this dumb fight with a gunman put a stop to things early.  I can't judge the game fairly until I get past it.  I did a couple of sessions of PGR as well.  Very nicely done.  So far, I'm impressed with the console overall.  Not enough time or games for a valid review, just a good start.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, January 11, 2007, 08:21:26 AM »
Nor does it mean that DR is anywhere near as low-caliber a game as Smuggler's Run or Tag.
Of course not, and that was sort of my point.  When there are very few or even no ultra-must-have games on a system, the games that people buy the system for are not really an indicator of anything.

My problems with Dead Rising are fairly well documented.  I thought the game was awesome up until I got to the first boss.  I still played beyond that quite a bit, but I was kind of disappointed about the way the bosses were handled.  I don't even know if there should have been bosses at all. 

I mean the whole thing is set up like it could almost be real.  There is some town the military has quarantined.  You are a journalist and decide to try to find out what's up.  You see some crazy shit on the way in.  Holy shit there are zombies everywhere!  You meet up with some survivors, all of which are pretty freaked and some of which have kind of reached a breaking point (like the lady with the dog at the beginning).  The zombies break through the barricades and start killing people.  You run and create a hideout with some of the survivors.  You decide you need to get out and get your story, find out what happened here.

This is all almost plausible.  Then you run into an Indian dude that has bulletproof skin.  You run into some guys on a hummer than can take multiple .306 sniper rounds to the skull and not only survive, but retain perfect cognitive function and continue trying to run you down or take aim at you with a .50 caliber cannon.  You run into a dude in a clown suit that also has bulletproof skin and throws exploding bouncy balls.  I mean come on.  I know you didn't mind it Que, but I think this stuff really took the game out of its element.

I also have some additions or reinforcements to previous mentions of the game's problems:

• Illegible text on a SDTV.  How in the hell do you miss this, Capcom?
  • It is possible to create a save in which it is impossible to finish the game from, and you can only have one save.  You'll have to start over, though at least you get to keep your skills.  And people complain about FarCry's save system...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, January 11, 2007, 08:42:35 AM »
I've said that I think your beef with the game's bosses is completely stupid, Scott, and I continue to think so.  I think it held no water when you first made the complaint and I think it holds no water now.  Nothing against you, and you're certainly entitled to the opinion (I mean, nobody can tell you that your opinion is wrong on something so subjective), but from *my* perspective I find the complaint utterly ridiculous.

Yeah, the SD text bug is pretty bad, but that's more or less the game's only real bug.  Yeah, it's a bad one, but that doesn't make the game a bug-ridden mess.  It just happens to have one fairly bad bug.  That's a lot more than can be said for many games coming out these days, even on consoles.  I do think it sucks that they missed it and haven't fixed it, but that doesn't really mean I can fault the game itself as a whole and knock it from must-have to mediocre.

Lastly, I like the game's save setup.  I know many don't, but I really don't give a fuck.  I like it, and even most of the reviewers who called the system borderline broken (which I think is a joke) gave the game scores upwards of 8.5.

So yeah, there are some folks who may not like the game for a couple reasons, but there were also people who didn't like Resident Evil 4.  That doesn't mean RE4 isn't a must-have, and it doesn't mean DR isn't a must-have.  There are a small and growing number of really good titles on the 360 right now, and DR is among them.  If you purchased the system and want more than a half-dozen games that don't suck, DR should be on your list.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, January 11, 2007, 07:07:32 PM »
I'd like to reiterate after rereading this that I don't think your opinion isn't valid, scott.  I was trying to talk about how my own inner critic considers your opinion.  I understand what it is you find disconcerting, and I can rationally understand that out here in the real world.  I was trying to express the fact that from my own critical viewpoint (the way I look at games when I'm playing them to review them, etc.) I can't conceive of ever leveling such a complaint at the game.  Rationally, I know what you're saying.  I personally don't share that viewpoint given the fact that the game features the mass slaughter of zombies (exceedingly fictional) using all kinds of ridiculous weapons (comical, over the top, gratuitously violent, etc.) and doesn't even aim for realism with its story in particular.  But I completely understand what it is that bothers you, and why.  I don't even really disagree in the sense that yeah, the game could have paid more strict homage to zombie movies instead of spreading its wings so much further and trying to pay homage to horror movies and such in general.  I was really just trying to illustrate that my own perspective differs so widely from yours that I can't even begin to imagine ever having that complaint enter my mind, not that your opinion is actually stupid or invalid.  And I know I more or less said your opinion was stupid, but I assure you that wasn't how I meant it.  I blame this mostly on the fact that I had just gotten up when I made the post and was very much still asleep.  Reading it now, it sounds like I'm calling you an idiot, and that wasn't my intention at all.  What I meant by "my perspective", following the comment on this subject being entirely subjective (hence open to much interpretation and opinion), was my critical perspective.  Meaning that in a review I wouldn't even think of trying to mention something like that, nor would I ever use it to measure a game's merit in any area other than the general sense of the content.  I don't think it's a decision anybody can really question given what the game actually is.  It would still be valid if another reviewer wrote it, but I consider that beneath what a review should consist of unless the game is really aiming for some kind of seriousness, which I don't think DR ever even purported to do.  I know you don't like it, and I completely see why you don't, and I don't think that the issue isn't a valid reason for you to dislike the game.  It's entirely valid.

I do, however, think it's entirely *invalid* when considering whether or not the game is a must-buy, hence my slightly overzealous commenting.  I mean, must-buy is obviously a term with numerous problems in and of itself.  Nothing is ever a must-buy for every person, because even people who generally like the same stuff often have differences in opinion.  Saying Gears of War isn't a must-buy would be a ludicrous statement because the game is awesome, is probably the best on the system when it comes to action, graphics, art design, etc., and has sold Jeebus only knows how many bazillion copies, but there are tons of reasons someone might not like it.  It's expensive, it's very short, and they miss almost every single opportunity to inject real emotion and backstory into the game's fairly light plot despite the fact that they built *many* opportunities which could have been used to excellent effect.  But it's absolutely still a killer app and is going to be a must-buy for your average user.  So what this whole overblown thing is attempting to say is that DR definitely sold systems, has had better sales than a lot of the other games on the system (at least in ratio -- obviously some others have been out longer), and is probably in the must-buy category of your average 360 owner.

Anyway... apologies for my tone this morning.  No offense was intended.  You're welcome to make equally jackass-like comments back at me now in retaliation.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, January 11, 2007, 11:16:06 PM »
I was actually thinking about this last night, wondering what it is that defines a killer app. So my take is that a killer app. isn't one that you or I consider to be must have, but it is what the public perceives as being must have. It is what ends up selling consoles. So while not a lot of the people on these forums may like Halo, but it was a killer app. I personally am not fond of the Final Fantasy games, but I concede that they are killer apps.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Friday, January 12, 2007, 02:21:32 PM »
Que, what's up with the save system?  Last night I wandered around for over a half hour, just trying to find a place to save so I could quit.  Finally I just fought my way back through the outdoors to the plaza I started in (sorry, I forget names) and saved in the bathroom there.

Is this what the criticism's about, no place to save when you need one?

On a happier note, I'm starting to get the hang of it.  I can survive pretty well now, although a lot of timed events are coming and going without me being able to figure out how to get to them fast enough.  There's a lot of depth to this game.  Killer app or not, it's a good reason to own the system.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Friday, January 12, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
Just remember that once you've gone through the game a few times you'll be better equipped both in stats and in actual knowledge of the game and its areas to take on more challenges and figure out how best to complete ones that troubled you before.  And the beef with the save system isn't so much in the limited number of places from which you can do it (which, once you get used to where stuff is and how to travel quickly, isn't a problem even remotely), it's more that you only get the one solitary save file.  You can't have 2 save files on your HD or MU... though if you have an HD and MU you can have one on each.  But only one save per device.  A lot of people find that obscene because of the way the game's timing stuff works, and I can see why... but that's only when you're approaching the game as the kind of thing you play once and put away, not when you come at it like a game that you can restart and almost immediately go do something interesting and different from what you did the first time.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Friday, January 12, 2007, 07:50:18 PM »
Update - GSpot seems to rather like it.  And from reading it, I think I trust the GSpot review more.  The screens they have look a hell of a lot more enticing, too.  I'm actually kinda'... tempted.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Friday, January 12, 2007, 10:35:54 PM »
. . . you only get the one solitary save file.  You can't have 2 save files on your HD or MU... though if you have an HD and MU you can have one on each.

That's exactly what I ended up doing.  I save to the card once in a while, and to the HDD the rest of the time.  But I still do need to get my bearings on where everything is.

I did have hopes for Lost Planet.  If this Greg Mueller guy has it right, then I'm interested too.  I'm not happy about this tendency to call 7-10-hour campaigns a full game, though.  That's expansion-pack length.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Friday, January 12, 2007, 10:47:54 PM »
I still have misgivings about it too, but it's really the way things are going these days.  10 hours is about the going rate.  It kinda' sucks, but... what are we gonna' do?  They claim that it just takes so much time and money to develop this stuff that they can't do much more than that.  I'd be happy to argue it with them if I had any proof to the contrary.  And we could look forward to more stuff getting automated and times increasing, but... then they're just going to put the extra time into making stuff even more amazing or impressive looking or whatever.  I don't know that the effort will ever go back to doing more content until the technology thing has a serious plateau.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #22 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 12:21:49 AM »
Well thats awesome that Gspot likes it, Im game. For some reason I really wanna to play this. I just love the visuals, it looks gorgeous, especially the aliens.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 12:37:12 AM »
Hell yes, I've been waiting for this one.  I honestly thought it'd score a little higher after having played the SP and MP demos.  I highly suggest checking at least one of them out -- the MP is pretty fun, and the SP really surprised me at how awesome it was.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 01:15:02 AM »
I think I'm going to just crack and buy it at some point.  I need more action in my life.