Author Topic: FFIII  (Read 3679 times)

Offline PyroMenace

FFIII
« on: Thursday, November 30, 2006, 11:59:31 PM »
The remake on the DS got a 7.9 from Gamespot. Lower than I thought, but the review sounds more glowing than the actual score.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: FFIII
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 01, 2006, 12:07:11 AM »
I was pretty happy when I first saw the ad on TV ;D

Final Fantasy III (or Final Fantasy VI as I played it) was an awesome game! Now I just need a NintendoDS!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 01, 2006, 12:17:21 AM »
You're confused, X.  Final Fantasy III was never released outside Japan.  Final Fantasy VI was released in North America as Final Fantasy III.  The naming conventions are funny, but this is a remake of the *actual* FFIII, not a remake of FFVI (which was already ported to the Playstation not that long ago with extra CG stuff).

Anyway... neato.  Julia probably won't be digging on this as she's still got several more modern FFs to play, and I don't have a DS myself... and that's okay.  I really don't have the time for it anyway.  Just glad to hear it turned out well.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 01, 2006, 12:25:35 AM »
Yea, FFVI is being ported to the GBA actually.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 01, 2006, 12:44:10 AM »
You're confused, X.  Final Fantasy III was never released outside Japan.  Final Fantasy VI was released in North America as Final Fantasy III.  The naming conventions are funny, but this is a remake of the *actual* FFIII, not a remake of FFVI (which was already ported to the Playstation not that long ago with extra CG stuff).

Anyway... neato.  Julia probably won't be digging on this as she's still got several more modern FFs to play, and I don't have a DS myself... and that's okay.  I really don't have the time for it anyway.  Just glad to hear it turned out well.
Ah, I see.. That's still good! The original FFIII was great too! I liked it way more than the first two.. In all fairness I was too young to appreciate the first two, and I only played FFIII like 6 years ago, then I played a bit of IV and V, then VI which I really enjoyed.

Of the FF's I've played VII is still my favourite by far. VIII is so-so. I was enjoying IX but it keeps crashing during one particular FMV and I can't progress. I tried skipping it, but that doesn't work either. I've only seen X being played.. Haven't seen X-2, XI, or XII.. Based on what I have seen of XII it looks great.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 01, 2006, 02:55:58 AM »
Even if I had a DS I don't think I would get this, I played FFIII on emulation and it was ok, but the battling and job system was kinda lame.  Out of all of the NES FF games, the first one was still the best, even if it was the most simple.  The FF games didn't really start to shine till SNES in my opinion.  Also FFV just came out for Game Boy Advance recently, I'm not interested because I have the Playstation Final Fantasy Anthology version, but just for anyone else who wanted to know.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Friday, December 01, 2006, 02:52:51 PM »
This has become such a fad, re-releasing 16-bit games.  The Genesis collection on the PSP includes the Phantasy Stars (II-IV;  PS I was on the Master System).  These things are good for short tryouts.  I can't see putting a lot of effort into them, since there is so much stuff in the genre which is better and prettier now.  (The "museum" notes say that PS IV cost almost $100 at retail originally.  Damn!)

I never played FF III (J).  I did play III (US) / VI (J), and I toyed with a translation of V (J).  Like I said, I think I'm past the point of caring.  Do younger players, who never saw these games before, really care either?  That's a real question, not rhetorical.  I suspect not, but I'm curious to know if there really is a new market for old turn-based 16-bit RPGs.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #7 on: Friday, December 01, 2006, 07:17:50 PM »
See, there's the thing, this isn't just a straight re-release.  A lot of care was taken into updating the look and keeping the gameplay intact.  It might be a remake, but we should only be so lucky if everyone re-released a game like this, rather than just slapping it onto a disc and all.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 28, 2006, 12:06:25 AM »
I've been playing it and im about 3 or 4 hours in. Its a little slow at the beginning and I found out the hard way how to save, I ended up getting killed and had to replay about a half hours worth of play. Anyway, once you get to the point where you can select jobs it gets really interesting, because the job specification feature just rules. Ive never played FF Tactics, FFV, or FFXI which is where this has been used, its really fun having this kind of customization to your party. See instead like in FF games now, you meet characters which have their own abilities in combat, some are more attuned to magic while others to melee or ranged. Here you can really assign any job to any character, then as they gain experience, they become more powerful in their selected job. I still have more jobs to find as you dont have access to all of them, I cant wait to make a ninja, or a ranger, you can even make a viking, bloody awesome. The whole thing I find just totally cool.

The review seems to point out that the save system is a little punishing, as you can progress through the dungeon and get wiped at the boss only to have to start it over again. That is actually wrong, he fails to mention the quicksave which can be used anywhere, so I thought that was a faulty point in the review. I would think it should have been scored higher, but I guess other than the graphical updated presentation of the game, its pretty formulaic as it is an old FF game, the combat is pretty straightforward turn based. So, its still an awesome RPG, and Im enjoying it a good bit.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 28, 2006, 06:51:39 AM »
I stopped playing this game months ago, but I think the quick save acts as a marker only. Once you load that save you lose it.

This game would've been the perfect RPG for the DS, except the miniature aspect of the game...well it sucks.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, December 28, 2006, 05:19:31 PM »
Scratch that, yea, quicksave is useful if you have to quit in the middle of something.

Whew, the game is tough. I have no way of reviving my characters because I used up all my phoenix downs and you cant buy them anywhere nor have I gotten a life spell. So pretty much if anyone of my character dies, thats it, they are gone until I can find a phoenix down. I pretty much have to level my characters carefully so they get powerful enough to get through dungeons. I'm thinking about making one of my characters a thief so maybe I can steal a phoenix down from mobs, I'll have to look it up.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Friday, December 29, 2006, 12:28:09 AM »
I guess you haven't had to shrink down yet? After I barely made it out of a dungeon having been forced to use a bunch of malnourished mages, I was in the same boat as you. I had two team members dead and no way to revive them, after that I stopped playing and haven't tried again since.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #12 on: Friday, December 29, 2006, 01:42:57 AM »
No Im well passed that part. Anyway I found that theres revive wells you can go to. Ive actually been by them before, every time Ive gone to one it would say "Nothing happens" which is because none of my characters were dead. You can't really just fly through the game, I found if you let your characters level a little besides running through areas and going straight to the boss, you start to find out that they can hold their own pretty well. Right now I just got to the fire crystal and I managed to get more jobs available. Now I have a knight, scholar, and a ranger. I kept the white mage because well, you really need one.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Friday, December 29, 2006, 02:37:42 AM »
No Im well passed that part. Anyway I found that theres revive wells you can go to. Ive actually been by them before, every time Ive gone to one it would say "Nothing happens" which is because none of my characters were dead. You can't really just fly through the game, I found if you let your characters level a little besides running through areas and going straight to the boss, you start to find out that they can hold their own pretty well. Right now I just got to the fire crystal and I managed to get more jobs available. Now I have a knight, scholar, and a ranger. I kept the white mage because well, you really need one.

Yeah, you're further than I am, I stopped after the serpent's eye dungeon. Although I've always had a white mage ( I made it the female out of habit).

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, January 07, 2007, 07:30:50 PM »
I'm at the very end. I believe I'm at the last dungeon. You know the game started to become more forgiving towards this stage. I've managed to get my characters quite powerful and they just totally trounced the last couple of bosses I faced. I think its because I got a good feel for the pacing and I was able to rack up my exp in some parts easily. I'm able to perform summoning magic. You know its really cool to see this stuff early in the FF line of games. Your able to buy a lot of your summons from the shop, like Ifrit, Shiva, and Ramuh. The tougher ones you actually have to defeat in order for them to fight on your side. I was able to find them all and beat them. They seemed tough at first as they have an multi hit attack that does lots of damage, but for Behemoth the dragon, I turned 3 of my characters to Dragoons which do insane damage to aerial foes and beat him in one turn. Anyway, I now have all the jobs available, its ninja time now, and I can now upgrade to a more powerful white mage. I plan on beating it tonight, full game impressions to follow.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Monday, January 08, 2007, 12:00:08 AM »

My memory is getting bad. I completely forgot that I had read this thread, and was thinking,"Didn't Que tell X he was confused about some  FF game before?"

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, January 20, 2007, 12:07:43 PM »
The more I play this game the more I want to throw my DS up against a fucking wall! The fact that this has been getting any scores over a 6.5 is atrocious and proves that reviewers give Square Enix and FF games automatic praise.

This game is way to fucking random! The items you need can't be bought in stores, you can't buy the equipment you need for your party, the job system makes things overly complicated (especially when you have to suddenly hire and fire someone), I hate the random battles, I hate the weak ass enemies, I hate the absent story, the vague explanation of everything and I hate how people attack out of turn! How fucking hard is it to have the person you picked to attack first, attack first? Of course the FF fanboys are eating this piece of shit up, just like they sopped up FF Tactics Advance, another piece of shit.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #17 on: Saturday, January 20, 2007, 12:47:56 PM »
It sounds like you hate FF in general. I really dont know why you got the game.

I finished it about a week ago, while I didnt find it to be awesome in every aspect of the genre, its basically your textbook console RPG without as much glamor that newer games have due to it being a remake for an old game. With that in mind I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, January 20, 2007, 12:58:18 PM »
Yeah, I don't know what you were expecting, nick.  I'm not the world's biggest FF fan (despite my love of FFXII), but it sounds to me like you must not have known what you were getting into.  And again, like Pyro said, this is a remake of an older game.  It's just plain going to be more shallow and rely more on the kind of challenges that the older games did, hence the story isn't the most amazing thing ever and the game systems and combat are going to be fairly stringent in design and occasionally difficult.  That doesn't mean the game sucks, it means it's a remake of an older game.  FFIII couldn't be more different from FFXII if it tried, so obviously the games being developed now differ drastically from those of the previous generations.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, January 20, 2007, 01:32:59 PM »
The more I play this game the more I want to throw my DS up against a fucking wall! The fact that this has been getting any scores over a 6.5 is atrocious and proves that reviewers give Square Enix and FF games automatic praise.

This game is way to fucking random! The items you need can't be bought in stores, you can't buy the equipment you need for your party, the job system makes things overly complicated (especially when you have to suddenly hire and fire someone), I hate the random battles, I hate the weak ass enemies, I hate the absent story, the vague explanation of everything and I hate how people attack out of turn! How fucking hard is it to have the person you picked to attack first, attack first? Of course the FF fanboys are eating this piece of shit up, just like they sopped up FF Tactics Advance, another piece of shit.

I don't see why you're so angry.  I can understand not being able to buy the items you need, but that really only applies to phoenix downs, and even then, it's not so hard that you'll need them.  And on top of that, you should be able to stockpile them since they're practically everywhere in the dungeons.  Random battles shouldn't surprise you, they've been a huge part of the final fantasies up until recent memory, I guess.  And the attacking out of turn isn't random.  It's always been like that, too.  The character with the quickest speed is obviously gonna attack first.  So, if you have a knight, a ninja, a mage and a viking, obviously the ninja would attack first.  It's all in the stats.  And they'll change as you switch out of the classes.  And the job system works fine.  It gives the game some added depth and whatnot.  It sounds like you'd rather play Lunar or something. 

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, January 20, 2007, 01:59:46 PM »
Lunar Knights? That game looks interesting, think I'll give it a try.

The speed thing still doesn't make sense to me, my mage's agility and vitality are pretty good, but she's always last. I can't ever find phoenix down, but I was talking about actual equipment. I had to trash my poor monk because I could find a store anywhere that had any defensive clothes for him besides some weak little robe, my poor thief is still using spark daggers which he got within the first couple hours of play and trying to find what needs to be bought and equipped at stores is a real pain in the ass. When I play this game I have to sit in front of a guide at gamefaqs. I was just hoping for a game that was more...consistent.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, January 20, 2007, 02:16:20 PM »
I didn't like a couple of things you mentioned about FFIII either Nick, mainly the job system, it was the job system in its infancy, so it wasn't as quite as well developed as other RPGs job systems like FF Tactics and FFV.  While I didn't have a horrible time as you did with it, I noticed some problems. Also what you mentioned about the story, all of the FF games on the NES had a very barebones story, FFIV was probably the first game to have a somewhat deeper storyline. I enjoyed the slightly higher difficulty in FFIII but out of all the NES FF games I still enjoyed FFI the most.  That all being said I didn't think FFIII sucked, it was just ok, good for one playthrough.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: Monday, January 22, 2007, 03:21:07 PM »
I just don't understand why they would keep so many problems in the remake that plagued the original game.