Author Topic: IGN fantasizes about the upcoming God of War flick.  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Re: IGN fantasizes about the upcoming God of War flick.
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 30, 2007, 12:48:25 PM »
UWE BOLL FOR DIRECTOR IMO!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 30, 2007, 05:47:31 PM »
Stupid IGN motherfuckers.  Stop encouraging these people.  WE DON'T NEED GAME-BASED MOVIES!  GAMES ARE ALREADY A VISUAL FUCKING MEDIUM!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 30, 2007, 09:02:14 PM »
I wouldn't mind game-based movies, if they actually picked universes that had ripe storylines or universes.  Doom has neither.  Resident Evil has neither.  Ditto for Bloodrayne and Tomb Raider.

I mean come on, where is the Legacy of Kain movie, or the Starcraft or Warcraft or Diablo movie?  Or Deus Ex?

They just pick the wrong movies.  Ok Tomb Raider and Doom and Resident Evil all sold a bunch of games.  But Bloodrayne?  Where the hell did that one come from?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 30, 2007, 09:08:08 PM »
I still disagree.  There is pretty much absolutely no point to remaking a game in movie form because the two mediums are both inherently audiovisual and generally share a lot of the same cinematic techniques.  Remaking a book?  Fine, two different mediums.  Comic book?  Still visual, but different.  Fine.  Game?  The only difference is you make it short, stupid, and take out the interactivity.  Fuck that.  I was a bit excited about the Silent Hill movie just because the games themselves aren't really that fun.  The experiences are completely awesome, but the game part is somewhat indifferent to me.  I mean, the interactivity makes it scarier, but I just love the universe and am willing to sacrifice that just to see some straight story on a movie budget.  But God of War?  What's the fucking point?  The games are amazing and there's even some cool story and use of mythology, but I just plain see no reason to make such spectacular games into movies.  Even if the movies are just as spectacular, you don't get to participate, and that's more than half the fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, April 02, 2007, 10:27:45 PM »
I wouldn't mind game-based movies, if they actually picked universes that had ripe storylines or universes.  Doom has neither.  Resident Evil has neither.  Ditto for Bloodrayne and Tomb Raider.

I mean come on, where is the Legacy of Kain movie, or the Starcraft or Warcraft or Diablo movie?  Or Deus Ex?

They just pick the wrong movies.  Ok Tomb Raider and Doom and Resident Evil all sold a bunch of games.  But Bloodrayne?  Where the hell did that one come from?

I think you pretty much nailed it.  It's because it's all about exploitation so you try to get the most popular franchise you can for the least amount of money.  You end up with shit like Blood Rayne, Doom, RE, DS, the like.  Games that will make bad movies and as such probably have lower price tags on the rights.  Throw some money at marketing and promotion, buy a big name or two, and skimp on pretty much everything else and you have a perfect exploitation picture.  God of War would pretty much fall into this category.  I can't see it making a good movie no matter what.  It might be visually stimulating, but lets not kid ourselves, the story isn't all that great once you take out the interactivity of the game.

Now, if one was to buy the film rights to something like Legacy or Kain or Xenogears or something like that you're probably going to run into a bit more trouble.  I'd imagine a higher pricetag and a demand for creative input.  Not even necesarily because the developers/publishers actually care about these games, but for a large part also because they know they could potentially make good movies or serials.  As such, they're resources and if you sell or lease the rights out now and make a shitty movie it diminishes the chance you can possibly do the same in 5-10 years when these games are a bit more nostalgic, the media itself is a bit more imbedded in peoples mind as a legitimate portion of the entertainment industry, and someone will be willing to pay more for the rights andtake the chance to make a good movie based on them.  Beyond that, it'd be stupid to cheapen a franchise based heavily around the quality of the plot or characters by making a bad movie. 

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 03, 2007, 02:35:48 AM »
Ugh I couldn't finish reading that article because it was hurting my brain.  I fear the day this movie and the Castlevania movie are made.