Author Topic: Saw Brick last night  (Read 13162 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Saw Brick last night
« on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 07:35:17 AM »
And yes, I realize that this is a several week-old topic...

In any case, I liked the movie, but I also found it really wierd.  Like there was this criminal enterprise being run by a bunch of high schoolers.  And then two of the high schoolers were super-genius chessmaster private investigators.

I sort of didn't get the movie.  I mean I got it, but sometimes the conclusions he jumped to... I'm like how in the fuck did he figure that out?  And the guy with the knife, who the hell was he?

In any case, the movie was fairly well-acted, expecially by the Third Rock From the Sun guy, and it did keep me pretty riveted.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
Re: Saw Brick last night
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 11:47:26 AM »
I enjoyed it, but I did have some of the same gripes you had with it.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 12:11:59 PM »
The guy with the knife was hired by the football player the main character kicked the shit out of in the parkinglot.  It said that at some point newar the end of the movie. 

As for the highschool drug empire, I just looked at it as a displacement movie.  The plotline is something from a film noir detective flick, but it's displaced into a modern day highschool setting.  That's partially why I liked it, but I totally get what you're saying.  You do have to suspend disbelief while you're watching it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 03:25:44 PM »
Yeah, Brick was pretty good -- I must say.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 08:30:06 PM »
The plotline is something from a film noir detective flick, but it's displaced into a modern day highschool setting.

Yep.  That was my impression, and fairly quickly too.  It makes the movie interesting and perhaps flawed at the same time.  I couldn't follow everything that was going on, but I attributed that to being sleepy.  I'm hearing the plot really is hard to follow, then?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 09:48:42 PM »
In any case, I liked the movie, but I also found it really wierd.  Like there was this criminal enterprise being run by a bunch of high schoolers.  And then two of the high schoolers were super-genius chessmaster private investigators. 

Yes, but that was the point of the movie. It wasn't a very special plot, neither was it a great story. But the storytelling and the dialogue was what made the movie special. The challenge was to tell the story in a highly unusual setting, and still make the movie gripping. They could have told the same story anywhere. It could have been at a hospital, a circus, a mental institution etc.

They just needed a setting with authority figures and every day people. They also needed a setting of which we have certain negative persumptions as far as movies are concerned.

When I think detective movie in a high school, I immediately think lame. But they made it work so well that it took me less than a minute to forget the movie was set in a high school.

I also loved how various characters in a typical high school replaced positions in a typical cop movie.

I pretty much loved Brick.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 01:29:17 PM »
I want to watch it again with subtitles... because quite frankly I couldn't keep up with all the slang, and they talked pretty fast.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 09:22:14 PM »
Yup I had to watch it subtitles, because just like you it took a while to get hold of the slang.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 04, 2006, 08:27:06 PM »
good... I watched it today and thought I may be going retarded or something.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 04, 2006, 10:19:45 PM »
haha I have to admit, I had similar thoughts...

Am I turning stupid?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 04, 2006, 10:58:19 PM »
I was watching Syrianna and I felt like that.  Mainly because there was like 4 other people in the room not watching it and it was hard to keep track of what was going on.  Either way, I basically had to make up my own story to go with the pretty pictures.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 05, 2006, 03:37:46 AM »
good... I watched it today and thought I may be going retarded or something.

*Phew*  Glad it's not just me.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, October 05, 2006, 05:33:49 AM »
hahahaha...

Cobra, Antares this is a relief. This is only the second time in my movie watching life where I've found subs necessary. The first was Mulholland Drive.