Author Topic: Old news: PoP: Warrior Within  (Read 1538 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Old news: PoP: Warrior Within
« on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 06:45:54 PM »
Thanks to keebs, I get to play it. I wasn't really looking forward to it with the whole angsty/goth/violence vibe. Its just such a departure from Sands of Time, which had great atmosphere.

Well, that crap is here...but it's mattering less and less. The better mixing of combat and puzzle/platforming is a great change from the original. It feels much more natural compared to the "Here you fight, ok now you platform" obviousness of the first game. Plus the combat is better overall...plus no teleporting enemies!

The in-engine cutscenes arent nearly as good as SoT. The animations seem stiffer and the lip movements are all wrong.

So far the story is kinda meh, at least compared to the first. I really enjoyed the first games story and the subtle love story with Farah. Here you're kind of on a mission to save yourself from death by stopping the sands of time from being made in the first place. So far its not very interesting. Except the guardian of the timeline. In certain parts of the game he shows up and gives chase. You cant fight him, only run and platform as quickly as you can or he'll kill you. He chased me twice so far, and its kind of nerve wracking trying to quickly find your way and execute all the moves perfectly to get away.

Now the platformy bits are just as good as the first, and I am enjoying it immensely. I can ignore the stuff I don't like and just jump around the levels and have a grand time. Well worth it.

I'll have to buy a copy for myself sometime, since I promised pyro I'd send this copy when I'm done. Then I'll have to track down the 3rd game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Old news: PoP: Warrior Within
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 06:48:19 PM »
I have this Warrior Within, as well. Yes, combat system is much better than the original.

But the music and his bad talk sounds....quite forced....

The platforming, when it's there, is good.

I really hope they remove StarForce from the Two Thrones.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 09:35:30 PM »
Eventually I'll give it a shot.  I have it, I just haven't installed it and have other stuff to play for what seems like forever.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 12, 2007, 03:21:39 AM »
I loved the parts on Warrior Within where the Dahaka(sp?) chases you.  The combat is a nice improvement but its so much better on the third game, definitely give the third game a go after you finish this one.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 12, 2007, 08:56:58 AM »
Well, it's no real solution, but for The Two Thrones I found a crack out there. I haven't tried it (since I don't have the game on PC), but it apparently works.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 13, 2007, 11:11:54 PM »
I ran into a bit of a snag. I was in some forge area, but as soon as I got through it the game would crash. I thought the save fountain might be bugged, so I tried to just keep going past it but it still would crash. Luckily, I found a save online for that exact fountain. Loaded it up and continued on without issue.

So I beat it. Hooray! Apparently there are two endings. The regular ending and then the true ending, which you get by collecting all the extra life upgrades (there are 9). I had them, so I went and did the true ending. The true ending is where Two Thrones picks up. Should be fun.

I really enjoyed the game more than I thought I would. I still sort of hate what they did to the Prince...hes not as interesting as he was in SoT. Kind of funny, you can really tell the changes were to make it more "appealing" to the masses. Rough and mean macho main man? Check. Chick with huge tits and low cut outfit? Check. Rock music? Check. Lots of blood? Check.

*EDIT*

Spoiler stuff here...

Heh, funny. I'm reading the description for Two Thrones..."The Prince of Persia, a seasoned warrior, returns from the Island of Time to Babylon with his love, Kaileena."

Say what? For most of the game you dont like her. In fact, you kill her. Then some story happens involving time travel and such and you prevent yourself from killing her. So you fight off the big bad monster and sail off together. Then you fuck on the boat. Like...thats it for the love story. It goes something along the lines of, "Like, like, like, hate, kill her, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, find out you're both trying to change your fates, like, like, fuck on boat."

Far cry from the interesting relationship the prince had with Farah.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 14, 2007, 05:25:46 AM »
Well, it's no real solution, but for The Two Thrones I found a crack out there. I haven't tried it (since I don't have the game on PC), but it apparently works.

It's a shame that often legit-game buyers have to often resort to cracks, just so they don't have to deal w/ shitty copyright protection the likes of StarForce b/c of how it can really fuck w/ your PC. The legit customer should NEVER get screwed like this by CRP (copyright protection) -- EVER. No gamer deserves this treatment from game publishers and CRP makes.

That just really shows how much StarForce sucks and needs to go the way of the fuckin' dodo.