Author Topic: Quake Wars heading to also the PS3 and X360  (Read 1788 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Quake Wars heading to also the PS3 and X360
« on: Tuesday, February 13, 2007, 02:59:51 PM »
Quake Wars will be headed not just to the PC, but also to the PS3 and X360

Activision waging Quake Wars on 360, PS3
Id-inspired team-based shooter now coming to next-gen consoles; Nerve Software, Z-Axis taking on porting duties.
By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Posted Feb 13, 2007 10:15 am PT

This morning, PC gamers woke up to learn that another of their prized exclusives is being ported to next-generation consoles. Activision and id Software have announced that Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is now in development for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. No release date or rating was included in the announcement.

The original Enemy Territory: Quake Wars was honored as the Best Shooter of E3 2006 by GameSpot. It is being developed by Splash Damage under the supervision of id Software and is tentatively set to ship sometime during the second quarter of the year. Nerve Software, which developed the Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil expansion pack for Xbox and PC, will handle the 360 version under id's guidance. The PlayStation 3 edition is being ported by Z-Axis, which developed last year's critically drubbed X-Men: The Official Game, under similar supervision.

Though some PC devotees will undoubtedly see the console ports as heresy, Splash Damage creative director Paul "Loki" Wedgwood thinks they're a good thing. "I think given that lots of people play shooters on consoles anyway, and they're quite happy with the control schemes," he told GameSpot. "If we're able to improve that further, that's an added benefit...[because] it would just be a shame for all of those console players to not get a chance to play because they don't have a PC."

As the name implies, Quake Wars shares the setting of id's Quake series. It sees humanity locked in an interplanetary life-or-death struggle with the Strogg, a Frankenstein-ish race of zombie-like cyborgs. Its emphasis is on online multiplayer action that pits teams of players against each other in Battlefield-esque conflicts. For more on the game, consult GameSpot's previous coverage of the PC Quake Wars.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Quake Wars heading to also the PS3 and X360
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2007, 03:00:59 PM »
I find this kind of odd.  I mean, I can't imagine playing Quake or Enemy Territory with a gamepad.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2007, 03:07:37 PM »
I find this kind of odd.  I mean, I can't imagine playing Quake or Enemy Territory with a gamepad.

One reason that these console systems should come w/ freakin' KB and mouses (or sell them separately)....

...so consoles can do RTS's, click-and-point adventures, and FPS games!

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2007, 05:28:35 PM »
One reason that these console systems should come w/ freakin' KB and mouses (or sell them separately)....

...so consoles can do RTS's, click-and-point adventures, and FPS games!

pfft CoD3 took a little getting used to (after playing Vegas and Gears I kept expecting to hug objects for cover) but consoles can do FPS and the PS1 had the first C&C game by the way. Its a matter of the player getting over it and simply giving the gamepad a shot.
Consoles don't need a KB and Mouse you just perfer it if they did.
Trust me I used to be in the camp of "I can't play this FPS on a console without a KB and mouse!" but after player halo2, then more recently GoW and vegas, I perfer those games on the console!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2007, 07:54:54 PM »
You can completely play an FPS on a console with a gamepad.  It's really not hard and it's been proven to be successful.  It's just when you're used to playing a skill-based FPS game (particularly a multiplayer one) on the PC, you're going to be like... WTF?  The experience is just totally weak in comparison.  On its own, it's fine, and with SP games or games that don't require the same level of accuracy or have the same level of intensity, it's cool.  Just seems a bit odd in comparison, really, because the fact is that a KB/mouse setup is always going to be better no matter what you do.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 12:27:52 AM »
That's one cool thing about the new PS3 controller. It hasn't fully committed itself to the motion detector like the Wii, yet allows significant control through motion. If you can aim by moving your controller around, yet do everything else like normal, I'd say that is perfect.

The issue I have with console shooters is auto aim. 

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 01:13:16 AM »
It really isn't that hard to learn the dual-analog thingy.  Yes it's kind of awkward at first, and yes, there's a learning curve.  I hated it when I first tried it, but after a while you get used to it and it actually works.  Now, needless to say, a keyboard and mouse remains superior in every single way, but to say that dual-analog doesn't work is an exaggeration.  It works.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »
Q what do you mean by "a skill-based FPS game"? I'd rather ask before saying anything.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 07:25:40 PM »
I think he means something like "twitch shooter," which Quake (and its decendants) and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory both definately are.  Just a guess though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 08:54:36 PM »
Yeah, what he said.  Obviously skill is involved in anything, but I'm talking about games where that makes the ultimate difference.  In other words, where that's the only real reason to play it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野