Author Topic: Al Gore's house uses 20 times as much electricity as the average US household  (Read 10760 times)

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
I know we have a thread about An Inconvenient Truth already, but I'm staying the Hell away from it.

The source is the Drudge Report, and I'm on a shit Internet connection, so I haven't bothered with any fact-checking. (Recall that I made that exact same mistake a few weeks ago, when I (incorrectly) accused McCain of getting in bed with the Discovery Institute.)
Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, [20-room, eight-bathroom] located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.
If this story does check out, I will be bitterly annoyed. I heard Gore has a response on ThinkProgress, but I'm not looking it up right now (on account that my only means of Internet access is a team of squirrels transmitting packets via semaphore).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Al Gore's house uses 20 times as much electricity as the average US househol
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 03:34:36 AM »
Yea they were talking on Fox News about it. That's pretty absurd! His bill is over a grand a month.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/28/politics/main2522844.shtml

(CBS/AP) Al Gore, the former vice president whose documentary film about global warming won an Academy Award this week, is defending his energy use after being slammed by a conservative group that claims he isn't "walking the walk" of an environmentalist.

The group accuses Gore of using too much electricity to power his sprawling Nashville mansion.

A spokeswoman for Gore said the former vice president invests in enough renewable energy to make up for the home's power consumption. The spokeswoman said Gore purchases enough "green power" — renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and methane gas — to balance 100 percent of his electricity costs.

"Sometimes when people don't like the message, in this case that global warming is real, it's convenient to attack the messenger," Gore spokeswoman Kalee Kreider said.

Gore participates in a utility program that sells blocks of "green power" for an extra $4 a month. Gore purchases 108 such blocks every month, covering 16,200 kilowatt-hours and helping subsidize renewable energy sources.

Gore's documentary film "An Inconvenient Truth," which chronicled his campaign against global warming, won an Academy Award on Sunday.

The following day, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research put out a news release saying Gore was not doing enough to reduce his own consumption of electricity. The group disputes whether global warming is a serious problem.

"We wanted to see if he was living by his own recommendations and walking the walk," said Drew Johnson, president of the think tank, which pushes for conservative economic issues.

Utility records show the Gore family paid an average monthly electric bill of about $1,200 last year for its 10,000-square-foot home.

The Gores used about 191,000 kilowatt hours in 2006, according to bills reviewed by The Associated Press spanning the period from Feb. 3, 2006, to Jan. 5. That is far more than the typical Nashville household, which uses about 15,600 kilowatt-hours per year.

His Nashville home is more than four times larger than the average new American home built last year — about 2,400 square feet, according to the National Association of Home Builders.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month, according to the Tennessee Center For Policy Research's release.

That is more than an average American family uses in an entire year.

Johnson said it's unclear whether global warming is caused by humans, and he said the threat outlined in Gore's documentary is exaggerated.

The think tank said that Gore used nearly 221,000 kilowatt hours last year and that his average monthly electric bill was $1,359. Johnson said his group got its figures from Nashville Electric Service.

But electric company spokeswoman Laurie Parker said the utility never got a request from the policy center and never provided them with any information.

Parker said Gore has been purchasing the "green power" for $432 a month since November. The Gore home is also under renovation to add solar panels, Kreider said.

Gore also owns homes in Carthage, Tenn., and in the Washington area.

Gore has said he leads a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." To balance out other carbon emissions, the Gores invest money in projects to reduce energy consumption around the globe, Kreider said.

"For every ton of carbon they emit, he offsets that by doing investments in renewable energy sources," Kreider said.

Johnson said those efforts were unconvincing.

"In general, I applaud his efforts to reduce energy consumption, but if he is going to be a spokesman for global warming, he has to be willing to make the same sacrifices," Johnson said.

Johnson said Gore's home has gas lamps lining the driveway, a heated pool and an electric gate, all of which would be easy to do without.

Kreider confirmed that Gore's home has a heated pool and an electric gate, but noted that the gate is important for security and that the driveway has only one gas lamp.

Focusing on Gore's personal electricity consumption misses the point of "An Inconvenient Truth," Kreider said, which is that governments and the public can work together to reduce emissions.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Al Gore's house uses 20 times as much electricity as the average US household
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 06:18:52 AM »
You knew this was going to happen.  I heard stories about Gore having to travel around in more eco-friendly cars so people wouldn't call him a hypocrite.  It was just a matter of time until someone found something.

But this is pretty crazy.  It's not even like he's just living like the average non-caring American.  He's using more electricity in a month than the average American uses in a year!  That's just insane.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Al Gore's house uses 20 times as much electricity as the average US househol
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 07:29:34 AM »
And maybe now some will get why I hate politicians like Al Gore and their useless diatribes about subjects they don't actually believe in.  My bullheaded belief in their villainy isn't because I'm contrary for no reason, it's because this is what politics is all about these days.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: Al Gore's house uses 20 times as much electricity as the average US household
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 04:45:29 PM »
This settles it. He's growing pot.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 08:23:24 PM »
Yeah, I don't give a fuck who you are, if you use that much power in a single family residence you get raided.  How the fuck has the DEA not busted down his door with a warrent?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 09:31:01 PM »
Because he is rich?

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 02, 2007, 02:38:13 PM »
and he is former vice president with a Secret Service detail who would take out any DEA agent who tries to bust through the door?
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 02, 2007, 05:41:12 PM »
If he has a Secret Service detail hanging around his house all the time, that probably explains a bit of the energy consumption.

I'd really like to check this out myself, except I'm still relying on the semaphore squirrels.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 02, 2007, 11:04:36 PM »
I'm sure it has more to do with the sheer size of the house than anything.  Heat isn't free and I'm sure that house is quite large.  Although it really does expose Al Gore for what he really is:  Just another Rich White guy like all of the rest of the politicians.  He has always been fanatical about the enivironment, and now that he isn't concerned with getting votes he has become unrestrained about his activism.  It was only a matter of time before something like this came out, and I'm glad it has.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 03, 2007, 11:55:07 AM »
My only problem with that is Gore not only seems to be very concerned about this, but also is rich as hell.  He has enough money to cover the initial investment to make it as energy efficient as possible.    Sure, if they make that investment it may use more power than a regular house, but not nearly as much as it does now.  Normally I woulnd't hold it against someone, but Gore tries to make it seem like he thinks this is an issue that we all need to worry over, so he should probably start marching to his own tune. 

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, March 03, 2007, 03:12:54 PM »
My only problem with that is Gore not only seems to be very concerned about this, but also is rich as hell.  He has enough money to cover the initial investment to make it as energy efficient as possible. 
There was a big article in Wired about these green homes a few months ago.  They were all awesome and obviously extremely pricey.  But they were very green.  One of them even generated more power than it consumed and the owner sold the excess back to the power company.

It can be done. I'm surprised Al Gore of all people doesn't own one of those houses.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 12:54:01 AM »
Why would you find it odd that an idiot and fraud doesn't support what he professes to believe?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 12:05:36 AM »
A few lovely facts:

Part of Gore's property in Carthage, TN is a strip mine.  Probably the most wasteful and environmentally unsound method of mining. 

Tipper has a muscle car that probably doesn't get many miles to the gallon

I once passed his house and saw that someone had placed a huge Bush/Cheney 04 sign in front of it.  Granted he spends most of his time at his house in Nashville now, but hilarious nonetheless.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 12:08:14 AM »
I forgot to post the link, but the electric company in that region released a press statement that Al Gore's house consumes less than average electricity for a house that size. That's apparently why they've stopped attacking him.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 12:11:04 AM »
Which is probably due to the fact that he has more than one house and it's unoccupied most of the time. 

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #16 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 12:12:28 AM »
Eh, everyone scrutinizes him because of the documentary.  But that's kind of missing the point, I think. 

I don't dislike the man, he's just done some very dumb things in his home state.  That was reflected by the fact he didn't carry it in the election.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 09:45:27 PM »
Eh, everyone scrutinizes him because of the documentary.  But that's kind of missing the point, I think. 
The current global warming "talking point" is that the whole thing was cooked up by Al Gore to get people to watch his movie. Therefore, all they have to do is attack Gore and that will rebut global warming.

Which is just stupid on all kinds of levels.

(By the way, whether or not Gore is a hypocrite, An Inconvenient Truth has the gold star of approval from the AASC, NCSE, many members of the IPCC, and just about every relevant professional body. Like it or not, he got the science right.)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 09:52:35 PM »
He could have had a conversation with God for all I care.  The fucking idiot needs to stop talking.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #19 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:00:22 PM »
The current global warming "talking point" is that the whole thing was cooked up by Al Gore to get people to watch his movie. Therefore, all they have to do is attack Gore and that will rebut global warming.

Which is just stupid on all kinds of levels.

(By the way, whether or not Gore is a hypocrite, An Inconvenient Truth has the gold star of approval from the AASC, NCSE, many members of the IPCC, and just about every relevant professional body. Like it or not, he got the science right.)

I haven't seen the film, so I cannot comment on it.  It's certainly on my to-do list though.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:10:04 PM »
He could have had a conversation with God for all I care.  The fucking idiot needs to stop talking.
This is hands-down the least cogent thing I've ever heard you say.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:17:42 PM »
Why?  Because I hate Al Gore and you don't?  My point is that he could hold the secrets of the universe and I'd still hate him because he's a politician, hypocrite (am I being redundant?), and general asshole.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:37:17 PM »
Realistically, the criticism of Gore over his own energy usage is more of a pre-emptive attack on his character and potential platform as well as a response to the recent press and hype surrounding a possible (but very very unlikely) return to politics rather than an attack on the science or the message of the documentary itself.  I have no problem with that.

The people calling for it aren't hoping Gore gets involved in politics again because of any other reason than his suspected enviromental platform.  As such, it's probably good to look into any inconsistancies in his personal life that may be indications as to whether this platform is just an appeal to the LCD or a legitimate issue he is willing to tackle more than any other prospective canidate.  Assuming he does run for some office at some time, this doesn't in any way condemn him, but it does cause one to question whether he would really be willing to go toe to toe with lobby groups and big industry over energy and emmisions issues when he's (assumingly) not even going out of his way to make the sacrifices in his personal life. 

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 12:00:51 AM »
Why?  Because I hate Al Gore and you don't?  My point is that he could hold the secrets of the universe and I'd still hate him because he's a politician, hypocrite (am I being redundant?), and general asshole.
Ah. So you think all politicians should shut up because they're fucking idiots, even when it is decidedly clear that they're not being fucking idiots?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 11:31:43 AM »
I don't understand why you're trying to push him into a corner.  Al Gore is an idiot and a hypocrite.  Not all politicians may be both, but a lot of them are.  Our president falls into this category.  But we're not talking about them here.  We're talking about Al Gore.  Nothing Al Gore says is something I'm going to listen to.  It could be handed to him from God himself in the form of stone tablets, and I still wouldn't want to hear it.  I think that's all Que's trying to say.  Some scientist clearly unconnected to the power-grabbing political agenda would have a real chance of getting my dispassionate attention on the science.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 05:55:22 PM »
As usual, gpw and Cobra express my own thoughts with coherency.  You have to understand that virtually all I do now is vomit expletives.  I don't have the stock for anything else.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 10:55:26 PM »
Ah. So you think all politicians should shut up because they're fucking idiots, even when it is decidedly clear that they're not being fucking idiots?

Well, I'm gonna go with Cobra here because I generally believe that Gore is pushing this pro-environment bullshit (bullshit in that what he says is bullshit) for his own political gain. And most of the people in congress are fucking idiots. Everything they do or say is a calculated gesture to ensure they get re-elected. They few who actually try and accomplish anything meaningful are soon out of office for that very reason. I'm not being cynical- just take a look at whats been accomplished in this country in the past few years. Our healthcare and education are in shambles. I had high hopes for the democrats taking control but so far they have done nothing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 11:03:25 PM »
They're no different from anybody else.  The trouble comes down to what we produce from our shitty society and the kinds of people who want to lead our shitty society because nobody does anything about anything except sit and bitch or try to fix a broken system through a broken system.  Al Gore is just another cog in our big machine that does nothing.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 12:48:16 AM »
They're no different from anybody else.  The trouble comes down to what we produce from our shitty society and the kinds of people who want to lead our shitty society because nobody does anything about anything except sit and bitch or try to fix a broken system through a broken system.  Al Gore is just another cog in our big machine that does nothing.

You know what though?  I'd take this broken system of ours over any other system in the world, any day.

And Gore may be a less than stellar messenger,and he may very well have ulterior motives with the whole scenario, but at least it is generating discussion.  If anything at least a few people are becoming more conscious of what their habits might do to our world.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 07:02:35 AM »
Hey, I'd take it over any other system too, don't get me wrong.  It just isn't going to fix itself and the problems are only getting worse because people just don't care about anything anymore.  The same with environmental issues.  I hate to break it to you, but all the people who never cared still don't care.  Al Gore isn't going to change that.  Frankly, if we knew *who* could change it, environmentalists the world over would have much better luck fighting for their causes.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 10:41:41 PM »
Que, I find your sense of learned helplessness incredibly disappointing. You adopt an air of an incredibly cynical and skeptical attitude, but really it's a veil for you to justify ignoring things you don't already agree with. You use it as a cover to get away with not thinking.

As it relates to Gore, it's an excuse for you not even considering his arguments - he's a stupid politician and therefore . As it relates to the topic of global warming, it's an excuse for you not having a useful opinion. And then you have the nerve to say this!
It just isn't going to fix itself and the problems are only getting worse because people just don't care about anything anymore.
(No, I am not telling you to watch the movie. I am asking you to either go to the trouble of becoming informed, or to at least stop pretending that your political nihilism is of any use to anyone (including you).)

(Oh, and some useful link spam.)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 11:40:45 PM »
I never said anything about the concept of global warming here.  I said that I won't listen to Al Gore even if he's speaking about a subject that may contain truth because he's an idiot.  As far as I'm concerned anything he says is tainted information and not worthy of being regarded, even if peppered with truth.  Just like I won't buy a fucking TV off the back of a truck because I know the idiot selling it stole it.  It isn't as though I wouldn't be getting a good deal on the TV or that the TV is of poor quality, it's the principle of the thing.  He's just reaping the benefit of pushing somebody else's stuff for his own personal gain, just like - *gasp* - Al Gore.  Gore doesn't care about the means as long as his end is achieved, and he isn't doing anything other than spouting other people's rhetoric.  Someone else probably fucking wrote his movie for him in the first place.

And I resent your statement about using cynicism as a cover to avoid thinking.  It's the fucking internet.  I vent frustration here.  You might have noticed other people do it too, occasionally.  So I'm going to ask you to either go to the trouble of learning how to differentiate venting from attempts at coherent argument, or at least stop pretending that the opinions of some guy on the internet actually matter that much to you.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, April 12, 2007, 04:42:59 AM »
I just want to make it aware that I only read half of the responses in this thread because they all seemed to be saying the same thing. Gore is about saving the environment and when he does its apparent that he's doing it "just to save face" and when he's trying to heat his house he's a hypocrite. The reason why we haven't started conserving energy already is simple, it's very expensive and highly impractical. He wants to save the environment, it doesn't mean he should have to live in a tree house with solar panels to do it. It means that the government should take steps to find an inexpensive way to support renewable energy.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, April 14, 2007, 06:48:31 PM »

Amen

I guess, we need to pay attention to the message and not the messenger.  some people are getting really defensive over this whole thing.  The messenger doesn't always make sense even if the message does, maybe the source of the message is best to listen to.

funny thread.
Taken.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, April 15, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »
I just want to make it aware that I only read half of the responses in this thread because they all seemed to be saying the same thing. Gore is about saving the environment and when he does its apparent that he's doing it "just to save face" and when he's trying to heat his house he's a hypocrite. The reason why we haven't started conserving energy already is simple, it's very expensive and highly impractical. He wants to save the environment, it doesn't mean he should have to live in a tree house with solar panels to do it. It means that the government should take steps to find an inexpensive way to support renewable energy.

Well, logically looking at it, since he wants to be saving the environment he should be be taking steps to find an inexpensive way to support renewable energy.  It's not like the David Suzuki argument where some criticize him for using gas and energy to get to conferences - that's a necessity for what he does.  Furthermore, no one is saying that what he's doing isn't in and of itself for a good cause, but when he easily has the resources and capability to decrease his dirty energy usage to far below that of the national average it simply makes it look like it's just posturing on his part. 

Again, that doesn't make his point invalid or detract from what he's doing, it just gives some insight into why he might be doing it.  Were it to be a decision I'd have to make during an election and it was a platform I'd base a vote on (I've said before that it isn't), I'd personally look at is as evidence that he very well might not be able to do what it takes. 

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: Monday, April 16, 2007, 09:21:58 AM »
Well, logically looking at it, since he wants to be saving the environment he should be be taking steps to find an inexpensive way to support renewable energy.  It's not like the David Suzuki argument where some criticize him for using gas and energy to get to conferences - that's a necessity for what he does.  Furthermore, no one is saying that what he's doing isn't in and of itself for a good cause, but when he easily has the resources and capability to decrease his dirty energy usage to far below that of the national average it simply makes it look like it's just posturing on his part. 

Again, that doesn't make his point invalid or detract from what he's doing, it just gives some insight into why he might be doing it.  Were it to be a decision I'd have to make during an election and it was a platform I'd base a vote on (I've said before that it isn't), I'd personally look at is as evidence that he very well might not be able to do what it takes. 

The US will never support renewable energy, not only is it expensive, the country is ran by companies the make billions off of fossil fuels. On top of that, the average person doesn't give a shit about recycling, solar panels and electric cars. Solar energy is renewable, but it's also inefficient when compared to electricity. During the conversion of turning solar energy into power, some of it is lost. So to have bigger appliances or house to work, you'll need more solar panels and more land to house them.

I don't think he's being a hypocrite, I hate religion, but if I'm in a bind I don't mind dropping a prayer every now and then.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Monday, April 16, 2007, 11:16:07 AM »
. . . the country is ran by companies the make billions off of fossil fuels. On top of that, the average person doesn't give a shit about recycling, solar panels and electric cars.

Those are the two main problems (but I take exception with electric cars, which don't exist--they're chemically powered by the worst power technology in existence, batteries, which longterm will be significant environment polluters if used in such massive quantities).  By far the worst is the first one you mentioned.  Of course people as a whole don't care about those things.  They're having a hard enough time already just getting by.  One of the best lines I've ever heard is "I can't afford to be a liberal".  It's the people with means and power who have the responsibility and ability to change the status quo on energy sources and development.  Until the choice is economically comparable and equally useful to people of limited means, it's not a choice at all.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #37 on: Monday, April 16, 2007, 01:28:01 PM »
The US will never support renewable energy, not only is it expensive, the country is ran by companies the make billions off of fossil fuels. On top of that, the average person doesn't give a shit about recycling, solar panels and electric cars. Solar energy is renewable, but it's also inefficient when compared to electricity. During the conversion of turning solar energy into power, some of it is lost. So to have bigger appliances or house to work, you'll need more solar panels and more land to house them.

I don't think he's being a hypocrite, I hate religion, but if I'm in a bind I don't mind dropping a prayer every now and then.
I have said this before on this forum, but I have a Wired magazine that has an article about green houses.  At least one of them created excess energy that the owner sold back to the power company and another was in New York City.

Gore has the means to practice what he preaches.  He just chooses not to.  That is practically the very definition of a hypocrite.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: Monday, April 16, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »
Saying that the US will never support renewable engergy is a pretty broad and bold statement.  The USDE already pretty heavily supports and promotes the use of hydro prowered and wind powered systems.  They have an entire department devoted to energy efficeincy, renewable energy, and clean energy.  It's not something there for appeasement, they drop billions a year into it.  You are right about the lobbying power behind fossil fuels.  And that's where the question of a leader's character and resolve comes in.  If he believes the country needs and wants it, would he be willing to make the sacrifices.  As for renewable energy in general, it's a very wide category that doesn't mean anything more than an energy source that is renewable.  It has nothing to do with enviromental impact (that's clean energy or soft energy).  Technically wood burning can be viewed as a renewable energy source and all sorts of biodiesels are renewable (although they cut emissions down, they still do a hell of a lot of damage).  There's also the ongoing debate of whether or not nuclear power is renewable since there is enough materal for fission available to us to last until the sun dies.   

As for the average person not caring, that's where the movie comes in and does a very good job.  It raises awareness, gets people off their asses to go out and buy some energy efficient bulbs and weather stripping.  That actually makes a huge difference in the long run.  Gore did an excellent job of that and he should be commended for it.  The question here isn't of the validity or nobility of the message he delivered but of his character, motivation, and specifically dedication. 

Yes, solar panels lose energy when converting it, but this is true for absolutely every single energy 'creating' process we know of.  It's all about the net energy balance and trying to maximize the ammount of energy transfered compaired to the ammount of energy put in to produce it.  That's where all the research dollars go.  And scott's right, it is pretty much the definition of a hypocrite.