Author Topic: GDC 07: Halo 2 Single-Player Hands-On  (Read 5738 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
GDC 07: Halo 2 Single-Player Hands-On
« on: Wednesday, March 07, 2007, 03:03:53 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/events/gdc07/story.html?sid=6166892&pid=932095&tag=topslot;title;1

Yes I know some of you don't care, but some of this is fairly interesting, while a lot of it is irritating.

Considering the sheer popularity of Halo 2, Microsoft and Hired Gun haven't tinkered at all with the gameplay. The single-player and multiplayer content in the PC version are taken directly from the Xbox game, and it will also feature all the various downloadable map packs that were released afterward. The major difference is that it will look a lot nicer on the PC thanks to the vastly improved resolution and some higher-resolution textures. We had a chance to see it for ourselves by playing the Delta Halo level, and the visuals were so sharp that you could read the fine print on the Master Chief's rocket launcher.

Good.

The control scheme has been tuned and balanced for the mouse and keyboard, though you can also plug in an Xbox 360 controller to your PC, and the two are integrated so seamlessly that you can start playing with the mouse and keyboard and then pick up the gamepad midlevel. Interestingly enough, Clowes told us that the developers have been a bit surprised to see some players use both the mouse and gamepad at the same time, using the analog stick on the gamepad to move and the mouse to aim and shoot.

Interesting.

The system requirements for Halo 2 are a bit high considering the Xbox version ran on 2001-era hardware, though you've got to factor in the higher graphical resolutions and OS overhead in the PC version. However, they're fairly modest for a Windows Vista machine. You'll need a 2GHz CPU, 1GB of RAM, and a decent DirectX 9 video card. The game will not use DirectX 10, so you won't need the latest video card to play it. However, you will most definitely need Windows Vista, because Halo 2 will only run on Windows Vista PCs. According to Clowes, that's because the game takes advantage of many Vista-only features, such as rapid install. When you first insert the Halo 2 disc into your PC, you won't have to install the game like you traditionally would a PC game. Instead, like a console game, Halo 2 will begin to load up and you can play immediately while it installs in the background. The PC version will also have support for Games for Windows Live, the PC version of the popular Xbox Live online service that allows for matchmaking, friend tracking, gamerscore, and much more.

My bullshit meter is off the scale. While the rapid install thing sounds pretty cool, you mean to tell me it is such a vital component of Halo 2, that the game would be handicapped without it? So that's why they aren't programming Halo 2 for XP. It all makes sense now.

You know how M$ could have scored some points? By bundling Halo 2 with every copy of Vista.

If you're currently an Xbox Live gold member, then you needn't worry about signing up or paying for a separate service, because we're told that the Xbox Live membership is universal with your Games for Windows Live membership. And if you don't have Xbox Live, signing up for Games for Windows Live will also set up your Xbox Live account. The two are basically one and the same. There will be two levels of Games for Windows Live, silver and gold. Silver is the free, limited service, while gold is the full subscription service. Clowes said that you will not need to be a gold member to play Halo 2 multiplayer, and that players can set up open dedicated servers that anyone can play on, just like dedicated servers for other PC shooters. However, Halo 2 for the PC will be the first game to let players set up dedicated Live servers.

Oh joy.

One advantage of this system is that players can use the official map editor that ships with Halo 2 to easily create and share maps. The map editor is the major--and pretty much only--new feature to appear in the PC version, and it's based on the level editor that Bungie used to create the game. Using the map editor, you can create custom levels and even unique gameplay modes. Clowes showed us a huge soccer stadium that she built, with a giant metal ball that served as a "flag." The goal for each team is to "score" by moving the ball into the opposing goal, but the trick is that the ball is so large it can only be moved by being nudged by vehicles. Toss in weapons such as the rocket launcher, and you essentially have combat soccer. And the cool feature is that once you're done, players can automatically download your map when they connect to the server.

Joy x 2.

The PC version of Halo 2 will be the first Halo game to ship with achievement points, which are used to build up your gamer score by performing certain feats. That may not sound like much to PC gamers, but trust us when we say that building up achievement points can be addictive. Alas, Clowes wouldn't get into specifics regarding Halo 2's achievements, as they're usually one of the last things to get finalized. As its, Halo 2 is on track for release sometime before the halfway point of the year.
-GameS

*stares*

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: GDC 07: Halo 2 Single-Player Hands-On
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 07, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »
Game still looks like shit from a level design standpoint.

See?

Quake 3 had better looking maps back in 1999.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 07, 2007, 03:35:19 PM »
Didn't we talk about all this mess w/ links and all here?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 07, 2007, 06:58:04 PM »
Some of that is applicable, but this is a Halo 2 specific thread, centered on GDC.  I can merge the threads if you like.

Anyway... yeah.  Halo 2 never looked particularly great, but it looks kind of like ass now.  Which I would never *really* use as something to throw at a game that's good because graphics aren't everything, but with the way MS talks about it you *have* to mention it to call them on their bullshit.  The game is ugly as fuck, old, was boring and badly developed when it came out, and you're shoehorning in a make-believe requirement to force people to buy Vista so they can play it?  Fuck you.

But really, the sick thing is that IT'S GOING TO WORK.  People are stupid enough to fall for it.  So I guess the rest of us who aren't idiots can enjoy sitting back and watching them take it in the ass while the industry as we know it burns to the ground all around us.  Yay.

I may have exaggerated slightly, but you get my point.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 07, 2007, 07:03:47 PM »
I don't know if it will work.  By now, you either love or hate Halo.  My guess is that everyone that is interested in Halo 2 already has it for the Xbox.  I have the feeling that Halo 2 for PC will sell very poorly.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 07, 2007, 07:08:52 PM »
You're most definitely underestimating the stupidity of the average consumer.  That's what a lot of us said about the first Halo, and despite being one of the worst big-name ports in gaming history, it still sells plenty.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 07, 2007, 07:22:10 PM »
Halo 1 was nothing special.
I expect Halo 2 to be more of the same.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 07, 2007, 11:17:34 PM »
Bah I thought the first Halo game was awesome. I just think they are treating Halo 2 like royalty for some reason.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 02:10:35 AM »
Man, if Halo 2 was bundled with Vista Ultimate that would make it a little more worthwhile..

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 04:38:45 AM »
While I did like and enjoy Halo, it seems that every piece of news or update dealing with it makes me want to hurt something.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 11:23:10 AM »
Bah I thought the first Halo game was awesome. I just think they are treating Halo 2 like royalty for some reason.

Yeah I agree. I have this game for the xbox, and while it's nowhere near the original it's still not garbage. That being said, there's no way I would buy this for the pc. Why in the world does it take them so long to release these things on the pc? Don't they know that they are dated by the time they do?

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 11:38:51 AM »
fuck you guys, halo owns

thus ends my contribution to this thread
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 12:29:23 PM »
fuck you guys, halo owns

thus ends my contribution to this thread

You win.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 02:47:56 PM »
Man, if Halo 2 was bundled with Vista Ultimate that would make it a little more worthwhile..

Screw that.

I care more about Alan Wake than I do Halo 2.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 03:00:18 PM »
Well Halo 2 they could probably afford to give away. Alan Wake...not so much.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 03:03:21 PM »
Well Halo 2 they could probably afford to give away.
Yeah, they already made a ton on the XBox version.

Alan Wake...not so much.

Very true.

Remedy hasn't even finished this one yet.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 03:10:06 PM »
I think MysterD's new nickname should be CAPTAIN OBVIOUS
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 03:14:56 PM »

Hey, w/ a superhero name and superhero power like that, I should join the FREEDOM FORCE!!!

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 03:25:06 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 04:34:35 PM »
Wo0t!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 07:40:28 PM »
There are about twenty really mean jokes I want to make right about now, but I'm not going to.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 09:26:59 PM »
There are about twenty really mean jokes I want to make right about now, but I'm not going to.

:(

How disappointing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 10:21:28 PM »
I had a really good one about Captain Useless, but... I'm not feeling mean-spirited enough tonight.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 10:29:28 PM »
Well Halo 2 they could probably afford to give away. Alan Wake...not so much.

Yup exactly.

hahaha...

It should be Captain Obvious Q&A. He asks the obvious question and then answers himself in his next post. :P

I had a really good one about Captain Useless, but... I'm not feeling mean-spirited enough tonight.

Captain Angrymaqua vs Captain Obvious

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 10:40:31 PM »
No fight unless he changes his moniker to Captain Useless.  That is the first of my conditions.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #25 on: Friday, March 09, 2007, 05:55:27 AM »
Hey he isn't useless.

This is what the forums would look like without D:

Oh and you are the cat.

I am the carpet.

OK that doesn't make sense.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: Friday, March 09, 2007, 08:27:38 AM »
PEE ON THE CARPET, QUE

PEE ON THE CARPET
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #27 on: Friday, March 09, 2007, 10:01:45 AM »
Did I mention Keebler is the paint on the wall.

Que pee on the wall. Write your name.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, March 10, 2007, 11:56:24 AM »
I dunno', I think the forums look pretty sexy that way.  And I can't pee just now.  Need a few weekend beers first.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, March 10, 2007, 06:09:35 PM »
Cat looks lonely....