Author Topic: The Witcher 1 thread.  (Read 40537 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Witcher screenies.
« Reply #40 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 07:54:22 PM »
Fuck, it's gold already?  This one is going to have to get moved to the back burner, then.  I can't handle the deluge that's coming right now.  I just can't.

Planned for Oct. 26th, for its release date....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 02:21:53 PM »
The Witcher: Limited Edition has been revealed.

Atari has opened the lid and shown us what's inside the Limited Edition version of The Witcher, which is due for release here on 26th October.

Bubbling in the cauldron is the usual line-up of a soundtrack CD, an artbook - albeit meaty at 204 pages - and a "Making Of" documentary on DVD.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 07:36:56 PM »
I wonder if this will be available for import as well, and if so, if the DVD will be region encoded.  Because I was planning to import so as not to get a censored version, but I can't pass up a 204 page artbook.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 07:54:50 PM »
I wonder if this will be available for import as well, and if so, if the DVD will be region encoded.  Because I was planning to import so as not to get a censored version, but I can't pass up a 204 page artbook.

Do you think some modders will find their way around the Censored Content in the USA Version???

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 08:02:48 PM »
PC DVDs are not region coded.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »

Oh, so only the movies are Regionally coded....good!

I wonder if Gogamer will Import a UK Limited Ed of The Witcher...
I know the regular import edition of The Witcher's listed there for Pre-Order...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 08:20:31 PM »

Sorry, I meant the making-of DVD, not the game disk itself.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #47 on: Friday, October 12, 2007, 12:29:59 AM »
Yea it is available in the UK as well. That's what I am getting.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Friday, October 12, 2007, 08:02:33 PM »
Killer-looking European Limited Edition.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 10:43:23 AM »
Yea it is available in the UK as well. That's what I am getting.

Is there any game-store in America planning to sell the UK Limited Ed?

We know Gogamer has for Witcher The UK Reg Ed, but what about the UK Limited Ed?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 11:46:52 AM »
That looks sweet.

The front of the box makes it look like it contains a Radeon heh.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 12:06:11 PM »
The front of the box makes it look like it contains a Radeon heh.
haha that was my first impression too :D

The wolf crest makes me think of Final Fantasy VII.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 02:23:17 PM »
IGN Preview (Video)
Tour of Vizima City video told by Geralt there added recently on IGN

Worthplaying Preview
Preview from Worthplaying on the game

GameSpot Preview
GameSpot previews a near-end build of this game -- and gives some impressions on it

The Witcher Hands-On - Combat and the Early Game
This fantasy role-playing game will deliver an intriguing antihero and a rich setting. It also has a deep and fast combat system.
By Jason Ocampo, GameSpot
Posted Oct 15, 2007 5:27 pm PT

The Witcher is a fantasy role-playing game that we've been looking forward to for a few years now. Based on the novels by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski, The Witcher lets you play as his famous antihero, Geralt of Rivia. Geralt is a witcher, or a professional monster slayer in a medieval world that's full of intrigue and skullduggery. With The Witcher finally arriving near the end of the month, we got our hands on a near-final version of the game to check it out.
Cool.

Opening Cinematic Plot Spoilers
(click to show/hide)

One of the interesting things about The Witcher is that there are two different ways to play the game. There's the traditional top-down isometric view that's similar to those found in other RPGs, such as Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.
Cool.

But there's also a close-to-the-ground camera that's more reminiscent of massively multiplayer online role-playing games, such as World of Warcraft. No matter what you select, you can easily switch to the other selection in the settings, so you can experiment.
Good deal.

Opening Level Spoilers
(click to show/hide)

The Witcher isn't like a lot of RPGs where combat is a fairly passive affair and you tell your character to attack an opponent then sit back, waiting for the battle to end. You have an active role during each and every swordfight in the game. When in combat, Geralt draws his sword and you can use double-clicks to make him leap forward or do acrobatic maneuvers, such as flips to the side. You click on opponents to initiate attacks, and then click again if the icon turns into a fiery sword, which indicates that you can chain combo attacks together to inflict even greater damage. However, you have to be quick because the moment of opportunity closes quickly. At the same time, you simply can't mash the mouse button frantically, because clicking too quickly can throw off Geralt's timing. Combat basically becomes a rhythm.
Sounds pretty sweet.

If an enemy is stunned, then you can execute a perfect finishing move by clicking once more on the target. Finishing moves that we saw included Geralt leaping atop a foe and driving his sword into his chest, as well as cutting an enemy's legs out from under him then slitting his throat when he fell to his knees.
Oh hell yeah!!!

Sword styles are another facet of the combat that you have to take into account. There are three to choose from: strong, fast, and group. You can switch on the fly by tapping the Z, X, and C keys, respectively. You need to switch styles based on your opponent or opponents. Are you facing a nimble, lightly armored foe? Then select fast so you can use lightning fast swings to parry with him. However, are you battling a bigger or armored foe? The light swings of the fast style are unsuitable against such an opponent; you need the slower, heavier swings of the strong fighting style instead. But what if you're battling multiple foes? Then switch to the group mode, which lets you perform more broad attacks that hit multiple opponents in a single swing.
Sounds cool.

There's a third element to combat in The Witcher: potions. Witchers are something like alchemists, so they have a variety of potions that they can drink prior to a fight, which gives them special abilities. These potions have fairly elaborate names, such "tawny oil," which restores endurance more quickly. An important element in the game will be the ability to craft potions of your own. Finally, there are signs, which are basically witchers' magical abilities. The first that you learn is the "aard" sign, which is a telekinetic force that can knock opponents off of their feet or clear debris that's blocking your path. It plays a useful role in the battle against the giant frightener, as aard can knock the monster over, buying you time to deal with the many minions who are also swarming you.
Good deal.

When you put it all together, combat in The Witcher is pretty tactical for an RPG. There's a fair amount of depth there, as well as a fast pace that will keep you busy. There's also plenty of room to grow as you level up. When you reach a new experience level, you can distribute points across your character but figuring out what to specialize in is going to be tough. You can boost basic attributes, such as strength and intelligence. You can improve your abilities in either the fast, strong, or group combat styles, and because witchers have two swords (a silver one for monsters; a steel one for humans), there are two sets of combat styles that you can upgrade.
Got cha,

You can also add talents, which are like little bonus skills or abilities, such as "buzz," which lets Geralt inflict 25 percent more damage when drunk; however, his ability to parry and dodge will take a 50 percent hit. So, yes, The Witcher does feature drunken fighting.
Oooh, that sounds pretty neat! Drunken swordsman master sounds fun! :)

There's more to The Witcher than combat, though. We're impressed with the early part of the game. The story and characters are intriguing, particularly the way the game is loaded with branching points where you have to make a choice that can affect the plot significantly. The Witcher looks like it's going to provide a fresh new face to fantasy role playing when it's released later this year.
Damn, I can't wait for this one MAJORLY.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 02:57:57 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 06:39:27 PM »
I can't help but agree.  Everything we've seen so far has been stellar, and I'd love to see another foreign developer get some recognition (that isn't Japan or whatever).  We haven't seen enough triple-A titles come out of Europe lately.  I'm definitely looking forward to it.  I'm drunk - what's the release date again?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 06:42:26 PM »
I can't help but agree.  Everything we've seen so far has been stellar, and I'd love to see another foreign developer get some recognition (that isn't Japan or whatever).  We haven't seen enough triple-A titles come out of Europe lately.  I'm definitely looking forward to it.  I'm drunk - what's the release date again?

October 30th in the USA.

EDIT, Oct 17, 2007:
Be warned, video linked within Spoiler Tags does show and ENTIRE QUEST from the game "The Hunt" Quest.

SPOILER LINK

Damn, this game looks bad-ass..
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 17, 2007, 02:11:57 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, October 18, 2007, 02:42:32 PM »
Gone gold, so it'll make the Oct 30th date.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, October 18, 2007, 06:04:03 PM »
I wish this game was being released like NOW.

EDIT:
Oh, please say it ain't so... This link is from the forums -- click me! GameStar of Germany has been talking about The Witcher, in their most recent podcast; it's all in German, of course. So, anyone speak German here??? From what I gather, from this thread here, is from someone who speaks German and English, mentioning what they heard from GameStar's podcast. In GameStar's podcast, The Witcher is compared to some of the issues already to Gothic 3, such as the following -- long load times, broken quests, missing sounds/voiceover issues; just to name a few things.

Here's a much more positive preview on some impressions from "Review" version of the game that PC Games German magazine will be doing. That page is in German, so you will want to "Babelfish" that page from German to English.

« Last Edit: Friday, October 19, 2007, 04:57:36 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 04:42:44 PM »
Two new Impressions from The Witcher...
One from Shacknews
Another from GameBanshee.

In this post, I'm going to deal w/ what Shacknews said on it...So, here's the link from Shacknews

The Witcher
The Witcher isn't exactly a breath of fresh air. It's more like the musty, stimulating smell of an old library; somewhat stale, but comforting, nostalgic. It's a throwback to an age when the ESRB didn't exist, and when game designers were free to fling as much sex and violence around as they saw fit; when they were willing to fill their RPGs with outlandish one-liners and depressingly realistic scenarios, and to pose nude on box covers.

Take the main character of Geralt, The Witcher's silver-haired antihero whose role you'll be playing out. Within the first 30 minutes of the game, players will see him coring the chest cavities of guards, banging his female co-star, and attending a reverent funeral. From there, it's a short hop to an inn, where you can participate in an endless round of bar fights and drunken slavering.

No, this isn't your average G-rated Star Wars RPG. This is something else. This is European.
That's what the hell I'm talking about!!

The Quandary of Quandaries
But let's get back to Mr. Dwarf Cock for second. A game that's willing to step far over a line like that should probably allow me to outright kill the fucker who said it. Instead, The Witcher locks down the Geralt-on-villager combat in some areas, while allowing it in others. You can't draw your weapon indoors, and you can't kill anyone outside until an area becomes "dangerous"--typically at night. There will be no wanton pillaging and slaughtering townsfolk at all hours of the day. You won't be soiling your naked victims to the detriment of Youtube. Hacking the groins of children will not be tolerated.

This murder law illustrates the difference between The Witcher and something like Oblivion. Whereas you won't be stealing people's jewelry or rearranging their physics-enabled furniture in The Witcher, you do have a far more fleshed-out story to chew on than is presented in Bethesda's game. A huge amount of NPCs are waiting with full dialogue trees and quests to present, and while playing the game, I never once felt the boredom that would lead me to a mindless slaughter of innocents. I wanted to hear what these people had to say.
Sounds a lot like say Vampire: Bloodlines in that in some areas, the game gave you free-reign to do anything -- while in other areas, you couldn't do as you pleased.

"The Man & The Dog" Quest Spoilers
(click to show/hide)

Of course, offering the player moral choices is the mechanic de rigueur of RPGs, and The Witcher is no slouch in that regard. Shacknews editor Chris Faylor wrote an excellent preview outlining the unconventional method The Witcher employs to remind players of the choices they have made in the past--choices which can impact gameplay hours later. You are sometimes faced with choosing the lesser of two evils--or five or six evils, depending on the varied amount of dialogue choices--but more often than not these quandaries appear to be straight forward right-and-wrong affairs. Saving a dwarf from racist bullies is about as clear-cut as it gets.
Wow....lots of quest choices in dialogue trees sounds good to me. I like going to different degrees of "good," "somewhere in-between", and "evil", if given a chance. PS:T was good at giving you loads of different ways to finish quests that are of that nature.

Perhaps my heaviest criticism of The Witcher lands on its control schemes. Played from a third person perspective, you'll have the option of two main camera angles--either an angled view from above, with click-based controls a la Diablo, or an over-the-shoulder view, with a more traditional WASD-based movement. These are two great options for an RPG to be offering, which makes it even more of a shame that neither succeeds fully. The Diablo-styled click-to-move mechanics become an issue when indoors, requiring you to manually rotate the camera as you ascend a staircase. Outdoors you simply miss the scenery, unable to view the horizon due to the elevated camera.
As long as we can hit pause and move the camera around ourselves like the NWN games, we should be okay -- since this game is based off Aurora and all.

The best bet is the keyboard-based side of things, but I ran into problems there as well. Because the game feels built on the top-down, command-based engine, there is a small amount of lag when a running Geralt adjusts to camera movement. This delay isn't quite as painful as something like Dungeon Runners was at release, but it's a similar problem, and a blemish on an otherwise smooth operation.
I'm sure a patch would likely fix that kind of minor issue.

Hang Up The Click Habit
The rest of the interface is your standard set of maps and quest journals. You'll have access to all sorts of abilities, accumulated by leveling up--a rather subtle process, rather than a constant numbers game--and gaining trait points, which can be applied to the many branching skill trees. In all, there are only five main UI buttons, which reside in the top right corner. The emphasis is on simplicity here, with most actions in the game only requiring a simple click to carry out. Want to pick up a sword? Click on it. Want to talk to someone? Click. Want to instantly skip a line of dialogue? Click. Want to skip it all? Click click click.
Okie dokie.

Strangely enough, perhaps the only time when you'll have to hold back on the clicking is in combat. Battle is a matter of matching up one of three combat styles--strong, fast, or group--and clicking on enemies to swing away, timing your follow-up clicks to the audio/visual indicator in order to initiate further combos. At the end of a combo, you might knock an enemy down with a force-like power, stabbing him in the chest in any number of gruesome animations. The level of violence is certainly high.
Wo0t for violence galore!

We need more RPG's to be as violent and as edgy as say Arx Fatalis and now The Witcher.

Violence aside, the system is reminiscent of Wind Waker's musically-timed combo attacks. And though it's ultimately involving, it's nothing revolutionary. You probably won't be playing The Witcher through the night because of the riveting combat, or out of an inextricable need to get to the next level. You'll be more interested in knowing what kind of crazy dialogue options the next seedy NPC is going to offer you.
I'm all for crazy dialogue options galore!!

Put on the Red Light (For +4 Strength)
With all of the monster mashing going on, it's important to note that the witcher's corruptive power also extends to the many females he encounters. The pale, long-haired, "emo" Geralt fittingly ends up in bed with more chicks than even God of War's muscle-bound Kratos. Depending on how you look at it, these sexual encounters come off as glaringly-dated, sexist trash that should only exist in pulp fantasy novels, or--ah. Exactly.
I wonder how much of that is cut or censored from the M-rated USA version of the game.

"The Possible Rapist(s) Quest" Spoilers
(click to show/hide)

The witcher can shamelessly corrupt women, easily cream a horde of zombies, and heroically protect a town of villagers, all in the same day--if you want him to. What else is there to life, really? If you're a fan of hardcore, unabashed fantasy RPGs, The Witcher is worth a look.

The Witcher is coming to the PC on October 30.
Oct 30th is NOT soon enough.

Now, a few screenies below linked.
One screenie
One of the cards Idol will want to collect
"Shall we meet again?" screen
Geralt and his pick-up lines...
« Last Edit: Friday, October 19, 2007, 05:09:42 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #58 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 08:00:15 PM »
Man, that preview really makes me want this.  Idol said it earlier, but I hadn't read the whole thing... I just did, and it sounds awesome.  I miss the days when RPGs were truly gritty.  They all seem so castrated these days, even with great gameplay.  There just isn't that truly dark, nasty edge to it we used to get.  Even Daggerfall had a bit of it... and that's really the last I can remember.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #59 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 10:41:14 PM »
GameBanshee Impressions
GameBanshee speaks impressions from a near-final build of The Witcher

CD Projekt's The Witcher has been in development for over five years now, having originally started its development cycle on the team's own technology before heading to BioWare's Aurora engine after a successful meeting with EA's new squeeze at 2003's E3 event. The game first debuted to a select few at BioWare's E3 booth back in 2004, which I was lucky enough to be invited to. It's been a long time coming, but after putting 20+ hours into a near final build of the game, I can kick back and say with confidence that it was worth the wait.

Before going any further, let me first just say that I have no idea why the game was ever coined as an "action RPG." Sure, the combat requires some (carefully timed) mouse clicking, but the team was clearly aiming for a classic role-playing experience. This is a story-driven game with a significant amount of dialogue, a multitude of quests, a surprisingly thorough and intricate journal system, and a vast assortment of character development options. You have to put a considerable amount of thought into many of the choices you make in the game, so hopefully nobody out there is expecting a Diablo clone or something similar from The Witcher. If so, scratch the game off your list and save yourself some cash and the subsequent disappointment. If a classic single-player CRPG experience is exactly what you're looking for, then you're in luck.
As much as there is a place for action-RPG's like D2 and TQ, hooray for the return of the classic style of choice-making RPG's!

Control over Geralt can be done from one of three selectable viewpoints - high isometric, low isometric, and OTS (over the shoulder). The high and low isometric viewpoints could best be described as Neverwinter Nights with a zoomed out or zoomed in camera (respectively).
Oh, there's 2 Iso style cams and one OTS -- I thought it was just 1 Iso and 1 OTS. Okie.

OTS places the camera just behind Geralt's left or right arm (whichever you prefer), providing a clear view of everything around you and putting you closer to any combat that takes place. In fact, it's the only viewpoint that will let you see the sky or ceilings. Having tried all three, I finally settled on the OTS viewpoint simply because the game looks better and I feel like I have a better awareness of my surroundings as I travel.
Okay.

While I'm on the subject, let me also say that the graphics in The Witcher are easily some of the best I've ever seen in a role-playing game. The game might be powered by a 2007 version of BioWare's Aurora engine, but it's leaps and bounds beyond Neverwinter Nights. Using my main gaming rig (which runs Vista and sports a quad-core processor and a GeForce 8800 Ultra), I'm able to play the game at a very high resolution of 2560x1600 with all other graphical settings set to maximum and it looks nothing short of amazing. Smoke billows out of hut chimneys, water laps upon the beach, and light from campfires and torches dances realistically on any nearby objects and buildings. The day/night cycles are particularly worth mentioning - there have been several times that I've literally just stopped to watch the incredibly lifelike sunrise and sunset. Once the sun goes down, the whole countryside is cast into darkness (aside from guards' torches and the light streaming from the windows of inhabited structures) and you'll find yourself using the moonlight or swapping your sword for a torch in order to navigate properly.
Wow....that sounds awesome. I wonder how it would fend on medium and low-end rigs.

Obviously, the system I quoted above is on the high end, so I also loaded the game on my nearly three-year-old Windows XP system with an FX-57 processor and a GeForce 7800GTX. The game still ran great using an above average resolution of 1920x1200 and mid-range graphical settings, which is good to know for those of you planning to install the game on an older system. It's also worth noting that the game ran without a single bug, crash, memory leak, or otherwise unwanted problem on both XP and Vista. Given the experiences I've had with other games on Vista, I'm very happy to report that CD Projekt seems to have conquered both operating systems equally. [/b]
That's definitely good to hear.

To keep you well-informed about the NPCs you've met, the monsters you've fought, the locations you've discovered, and many other gameplay aspects, the game sports one of the most impressive journal systems I've seen in a video game to date. It's also linked to the gameplay, in that missing journal entries may keep you from taking certain actions. For example, if you haven't previously read about, been told about, or otherwise researched Hellebore Petals (a type of alchemical ingredient), then you can't gather them from the plant that produces them. As another example, if you haven't learned anything about the Bloedzuiger monster, then you won't be able to accept any witcher contracts that deal with slaying such beasts. It's a great system that actually has you spending your hard-earned Orens on books and scrolls from vendors just so you can read up on certain topics and, as a result, add a new entry to your journal that may or may not unlock some additional options for Geralt.
That's a clean and good way to avoid bugs -- and the possibilities of other issues -- b/c the player can't go just to accidentally find a quest item without taking the exact quest on that is tied to the item. Makes sense.

EDIT:
GameZone.com impressions on Witcher
Some impressions from Gamezone.com
There are some invisible barriers that will prevent you from traversing the world freely, though. For example, you can’t wade or swim across water and if the quest lies on the other side, chances are there is a way around.

The game has five chapters and three possible endings. It did seem, at times, to advance one quest you needed to achieve success in others. You can save at any juncture and this is wise. Die and the game will reset to the last checkpoint, which may be on the other side of a cut scene.
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 20, 2007, 03:32:13 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, October 20, 2007, 08:52:41 PM »
Wondering some of what was cut from the US Version of the game???

From a thread where people are encourages to ask The Devs ANYTHING.
The CD Projekt RED Devs have answered a lot of questions there.
(NOTE: To see this thread, you need to Register as a member there...)

About in-game stuff...
Quote from: BloodDragon of CD PRojekt Red
Well just few characters needed to be modified - some certain parts needed to be hidden by hairs and cloth;). Two monsters and one NPC to be precise.

Quote from: Garnek of CD Projekt Red
All dialogues and quests are intact in the US version. Only some graphical assets had to be modified.

In regards to the "collectible cards," in the US Version of the game...
Quote from: Deadpool24
Though I am curious: censored cards, or no cards?
Quote from: Garnek of CD Projekt RED
Censored cards.

In regards to what version Canada will get of The Witcher ...
Quote from: BloodDragon of CD Projekt RED
Canadian version is the same as US. But the cuts are really inconsiderable.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, October 20, 2007, 08:59:27 PM »
I get the impression that he's right and the cuts really aren't anything important.  Still, I want my boobies, damn it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2007, 08:54:48 AM »
In Regards To Patch 1.1
From The Witcher's community boards....
And yes, you have to be a member to see this thread, so I'll sum it up here for non-members.
Yes, in some Euro countries such as Poland, the game is out already...

What we do know from CD Projekt now is this:
The Day of the game's Official Release (October 26th), PATCH 1.1 will be released by Atari.
Patch 1.1 is done -- basically, Atari's waiting to release it on that day.

Quote from: Dziado of CD Projekt RED
Distribution of patches is Atari's decision. They decided to post it with official release :) Sorry...

EDIT:
In Regards To Technical Issues w/ The Witcher

This thread deals w/ this subject and is from their own Witcher boards -- yes, you have to be a member to see this thread. So, I'll sum it up for you all.
Quote from: Brysiu of CD Projekt RED
We would like to inform you about possible technical issues with The Witcher and solutions how to deal with them.

• The Witcher may exhaust virtual address space when running on 32-bit Windows Vista. Microsoft has released a hotfix that addresses this problem. Please download the hotfix from the following location when playing the game on 32-bit Windows Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

• NVIDIA advises to download latest drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.69.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_163.71.html

• The Witcher protection system does not support any kind of emulation software such as e.g. CloneCD or DaemonTools. Using it may result in non-detecting a dvd with the game.

• The following video cards are not currently supported: S3 Colt, S3 S27, S3 S8

• The following processors are out of range: AMD Duron Series, AMD Athlon XP 2400+ through 3200+, AMD Sempron 2400+ through 2800+, and the INTEL Celeron Series.

EDIT #2:
All Kinds of Extra Exclusives For Those Who Register Do Their Game
So, if you buy this game, you will likely want to register your copy of The Witcher right on CD Projekt's Game Registration Site.

The page isn't open yet to do anything with, but it mentions their plans for this site.

CD Projekt plans on releasing extra stuff for those who do, which will include these kinds of things for you to be able to download:
--Patches (of course)
--Game Extensions (extra "plug-in" content)
--MP3 Music
--MP3 Videos
--Tips from Game Designers
--Etc etc.

EDIT #3:
SDK/Toolkit Concerns
Guys, the game doesn't ship with an SDK...
...But, we can expect an SDK for The Witcher to probably be released sometime before Christmas!

If you're a member of The Witcher's forums, you can see this post where CD Projekt RED's Dziadu answers a load of questions I threw out there in the "Ask A Dev Team Anything" Thread, click here!

« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 23, 2007, 11:32:32 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, October 24, 2007, 09:48:37 PM »
Major impressions from Voodoo Extreme on The Witcher.

With lots of video, too.

Questing

The Witcher has a great variety of quests, including one particularly mammoth task in Chapter II that I’m still battling through – according to the developers, completing all quests should take around 120 hours on your first attempt on the standard difficult level, which is damn good value for money when you take into account that every single NPC has dialogue. However, some character models and voices are repeated far too often.
120 hours for all quests (side and main)?!?!?!!?
Holy shit!!!

And they plan to add EXTRA content eventually?!?!?

System Specs

The Witcher requires a beefy system:

Minimum System Requirements

OS (Operating System): Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon 64 +2800
RAM: 1024 MB RAM for Microsoft Windows XP / 1536 MB for Microsoft Windows Vista
Video: 128 MB Video RAM or greater with DirectX9 Vertex Shader/ Pixel Shader 2.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 or better)
Free HD Space: 8.5 GB available hard drive space
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compliant soundcard, plus speakers or headphones
DVD: DVD-Rom

Recommended System Requirements

OS (Operating System): Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (dual core) or equivalent AMD X2 processor or better
RAM: 2048 MB RAM
Video: 256 MB Video RAM or greater with DirectX9 Vertex Shader/ Pixel Shader 2.0 support (NVIDIA 7900 or faster with 512 MB of memory)
Free HD Space: 8.5 GB available hard drive space
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compliant soundcard, plus speakers or headphones
DVD: DVD-Rom

Make sure you’re up to spec before buying! My Q6600, with 2GB of RAM and a 7950GX2 went as low as 35 FPS in some areas!
Okie dokie.

Copy Protection

There’s a lot riding on the success of The Witcher for CDP, so the game requires a one-off online activation via Tages. This process takes one minute and Tages does not install spyware on your system or nag you ever again (we’ll have more detailed information shortly for the paranoid folk).
Need more info...

Final Thoughts

Twenty hours in I’ve barely scratched the surface of what The Witcher offers. From what I have seen, I would wholeheartedly recommend the game to any RPG fan. However, those expecting a hack and slash action RPG-lite game may well be disappointed unless they can tolerate some story and chat, though subtitles can be enabled to facilitate quick-clicking through the often lengthy, but entertaining dialogue.
Sweet.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, October 24, 2007, 09:57:24 PM »
The Witcher protection system does not support any kind of emulation software such as e.g. CloneCD or DaemonTools. Using it may result in non-detecting a dvd with the game.

This needs clarification.  Do they mean that if you try to play a copy of the game using such program that it "may" not work, or does it mean it *definitely* won't work if you have virtual drive software installed?  Given the choice between the two, logic dictates of course that it's 100% going to be the second, and the only reason I'm hoping it might not be is for the simple fact that I want this fucking game and won't be buying it if they're using such criminal and frustrating anti-piracy measures.  Fuck you, I'll use my virtual drives all I fucking want.  There's nothing illegal about it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, October 24, 2007, 10:01:38 PM »
This needs clarification.  Do they mean that if you try to play a copy of the game using such program that it "may" not work, or does it mean it *definitely* won't work if you have virtual drive software installed?  Given the choice between the two, logic dictates of course that it's 100% going to be the second, and the only reason I'm hoping it might not be is for the simple fact that I want this fucking game and won't be buying it if they're using such criminal and frustrating anti-piracy measures.  Fuck you, I'll use my virtual drives all I fucking want.  There's nothing illegal about it.
I'll bet cha Tages has those programs on its "black list".

Tages is the copyright protection used by The Witcher, BTW.

Que, in the past, have you ever bought a game equipped w/ Tages CP and had problems booting it b/c you had virtual drives installed???

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, October 24, 2007, 11:28:47 PM »
What the hell is their problem? I'll still put up with this shit, but still.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, October 25, 2007, 12:57:03 AM »
The only game I've played that used Tages was Fahrenheit (a.k.a. Indigo Prophecy), since I had the German version.

I heard Tages was annoying, just not quite as bad as StarForce.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, October 25, 2007, 02:30:05 AM »
I can't wait for this to arrive. Whee.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, October 25, 2007, 09:12:50 AM »
Wow that's really low. :(

In other news, I now know what percentage means. :P

edit:

OK so don't make fun of me, but I read the review roughly translated. From what I gathered, there are a lot of bugs that leave many quests unsolvable.

While the game is good looking, it suffers from a lot of repeated interiors. The game's story was apparently poorly translated (which is horrible news if true for the English version), and the game's controls suck as does the AI. The game also suffers from long load times. While the game is long, a lot of the stuff is recycled including the areas as well as character models. Some quests lack logic, and a lot of the game world can appear limited. And though the combat is exciting the magic is limited to five (whatever that means). There is also a lack of equipment and loot etc.

They said a lot depends on the patching, and many of the issues are fixable.

It looks to me that the game needs another few months. So much of the stuff seems to be recycled, which sucks for an RPG.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, October 25, 2007, 01:53:49 PM »
Atari released International Patch 1.1 EARLY.
Around 113 MB.

Numerous places got this, according to BluesNews -- the usual places; 3DGamers, GamersHell, Etc etc.

For the Patch for the International version of the game -- look here!

I've decided b/c the Changelog lists LOTS of quest fixes and stuff related to the game (quests, story, etc), I'm granting it a spoiler tag.

Let's just say -- this patch fixes a crapload of stuff, to say the very least! A few dozen worth of fixes!

ChangeLog here
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 25, 2007, 10:23:23 PM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, October 25, 2007, 01:59:37 PM »
- Fixes for sex scene with nurses in Act 5.

*watches as Idol orders the game*

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, October 25, 2007, 02:02:49 PM »
In Response
*watches as Idol orders the game*

I figured he pre-ordered the game already!

Especially since it's already been stated that....
(click to show/hide)

EDIT:
In Regards To Performance Tips From The Dev's
I wish more dev's were this blunt on their Patch Logs and stuff
======================================================
4. Performance Tips
======================================================

1) The following video cards should be set to run at 800x600 with Low Detail settings:
ATI RADEON 9800 Series, ATI RADEON X700 Series, ATI RADEON X1300/X1550 Series, NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT, NVIDIA GeForce 6600

2) The following video cards should be set to run at 1024x768 with Medium Detail settings:
ATI RADEON X800 PRO, ATI RADEON X850 XT, ATI RADEON X1600 Series, ATI RADEON X1800 series, ATI RADEON X1950 Pro, ATI RADEON HD 2600 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

3)The following video cards should be set to run at 1024x768 with High Detail settings:
ATI RADEON X1950 XTX, ATI RADEON HD 2900 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX, NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
« Last Edit: Friday, October 26, 2007, 07:54:01 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #75 on: Friday, October 26, 2007, 07:43:10 AM »
The Witcher gets a 7 from Eurogamer (out of 10)

Let's talk about the term "role-playing game", shall we? It's one of those phrases that has slipped into the gaming vernacular so easily that we tend to forget what it actually means, and end up using it all wrong. Common wisdom has it that any game in which your character earns experience and levels up accordingly can be tucked away under the RPG blanket. For me, that's only half right. The clue's in the name - role-playing. Games in which you create a role and then act out that character in the gameworld. Without the freedom to come up with your own virtual identity, what you're really talking about are adventure games with a few RPG trimmings.
Planescape set a role for you, as The Nameless One. So do the Gothic series of games. Two Worlds' (SP Portion, not MMO Portion -- MMO allows you to even choose races and classes) and Titan Quest set your character in stone, pretty much -- except for the looks, which you have limited options to set up with. So what...?

Role-Playing, to me, goes like this -- as long as you can make decisions as this already-set character for multiple ways you can finish quests; you can choose to upgrade old or new skills and abilities as you please when you level-up; and upgrade equipment -- then, it's still an RPG. All of them above games, they fit those RPG characteristics -- making you really "play the role" of a character, whether you create it or it's already set in stone.

So, by my reckoning, The Witcher is only half an RPG. The role you play is non-negotiable - you're Geralt, a white-haired growly-voiced amnesiac anti-hero. Nor can you choose his profession. It is, after all, rather set in stone by the verb-slaughtering title of the game. He's a witcher, a professional slayer of the supernatural, wandering from town to town ridding the countryside of foul beasts using swords, magic and a little bit of alchemy. You'll be using the same swords for pretty much the whole game (though you can augment them), your armour options are limited and you've got a fairly rigid vengeance-fuelled goal in mind. If you're looking for one of those games where you can craft your own jewel-encrusted golden armour, and spend months tinkering with optional side-quests, then move along. This one isn't for you.

If, however, you're a fan of compellingly realised environments, commendably realistic social interactions and full-blooded fantasy storytelling then pull up a pew, since The Witcher has a lot to offer.
*pulls up, for that matter...*

That the game world is deep and convincingly fleshed-out shouldn't really come as a surprise. Polish developer CD Projekt not only had Andrzej Sapkowski's series of fantasy novels to provide the finer details, but they had experience translating such classic role-players as Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment for Eastern Europe.
Sounds good to me.

With Bioware's Aurora engine to provide the graphical muscle, the pieces are all in place for an above-average RPG-style experience.
Eh...

The game can be viewed top-down, as in Baldur's Gate, in which case control is entirely mouse driven, or you can opt for a more action-packed over-the-shoulder viewpoint, which uses the expected WASD control-map for movement with mouse-clicks for interaction and hotkeys for magic and weapons. This close-up option is undeniably the more cinematic, offering a good view of the detailed environments, but it can be cumbersome in combat. The camera has an annoying habit of resetting in front of Geralt, all the better to admire his craggy features, but it does mean that fighting involves a lot of frantic spinning around as you try to keep your pointer hovering over an enemy.
So, a lot like NWN2: Mask -- you have the BG Over-The-Top View w/ point and click, while also you have the KOTOR style w/ WSAD. Cool.

I use a good mix of both in NWN2: Mask, depending on what's happening on-screen. If there's not many enemies, KOTOR style view. If it's a big battle, BG camera style.

The combat tries to find the middle ground between the turn-based approach of, say, Knights of the Old Republic and the mouse-mashing of Diablo II. Clicking on an enemy initiates a swing of your sword, but as the attack comes to an end your cursor lights up. Click again at this point and you'll follow up with another attack move, and so on. Chain your attacks successfully and your opponent will struggle to respond. Get the timing wrong, and you'll break the combo and leave yourself open to reprisals. The right button is your magic attacks and, like weaponry, these can be honed and improved by spending the bronze, silver or gold "talents" you gain from victorious quests and skirmishes.
Cool.

It's not a bad system but, while it does a decent job of simulating a sword fighting mindset using very simple means, it can also leave you unsure of what's happening or why. There's often a pause before Geralt begins his attacks, and it's just long enough for it to be easily mistaken for a parried assault. So you click again, and break the combo before it starts. All defensive moves are handled automatically as part of the successful mouse-click sequence, so when you do find yourself taking a pasting, it can feel frustratingly out of your control. This is especially true in the fist-fights that you can tackle as a way of raising extra cash, where suddenly you can block with the right button, but are left even less sure of how or when Geralt will respond to your commands.
Hmmmm...I wonder why they didn't just have a separate key for block for when sword-fighting...

The system can be tamed with practice, and it's certainly preferable to yet another "point at the monster and hammer the mouse" game, but it's not an entirely successful experiment and you may find yourself thinking it's a lot of arsing around for not much benefit.
I'll just have to see this system for myself, when I get the game...

Thankfully, the game compensates with solid - if hardly new - RPG features elsewhere. Alchemical formulae and ingredients can be horded, goods can be traded or given as bribes, while a dice-based version of poker scratches the need for in-game gambling. Geralt can even get drunk and pissed up on booze, a state which can be made strangely beneficial if you choose the right levelling-up options.
Oooh...Drunken Witcher style??!!? heh!

Non-player characters abound, all inhabiting a world that feels lived-in and rich in detail, while there's no shortage of quests to be found in the shape of witcher missions, culling the local monster population in return for money or information to advance the main storyline. There are moments of obvious padding, where vital quest characters won't speak to you until you perform another quest for them, but it's never a chore and when you stumble across conversations that lead to new quests, it rarely feels like you've been led to that moment - more like you happened to stumble on it yourself. An illusion, more often than not, but a fairly convincing one.
Good. I like a game to suck me in like such and immerse me.

It is a shame the NPC dialogue is so rigid, however, since you can question them over and over until you find the right answers to yield your desired results. The game sometimes trips over its own narrative, with Geralt talking about characters he just met as if he doesn't know them, or asking questions to which you've already found the answer. These mood-breaking hiccups are all the more noticeable since the game does such a good job of creating an immersive milieu of windswept countryside, poverty-stricken towns and hedonistic cities. This is most noticeable in the seduction quests, where you try to talk comely maidens into bed. Shades of Groundhog Day soon emerge, as you outrage them with wrong answers only to ask again a few minutes later with no lasting reputation loss. Trial-and-error can earn you most notches on the bedpost, along with the already infamous "I shagged her!" soft porn collectors cards. They're unspeakably naff, of course, but as with the topless slave girls in Conan it's in-keeping with the bawdy tone of the game.
Knowing Idol, once the SDK comes out, he'll be making his own Seduction quests and "Collectible Cards." :P

Non-vital NPCs will just utter generic phrases. Those with something of value to say will open up dialogue trees.
Sounds like most RPG's.

Your decisions do have subtle impacts though, often not becoming evident until much later in the game. For all the PR talk of grey moral areas, there's still some obvious "good choice, bad choice" stuff going on, but the elongated timeframe means you won't be able to cheat your way around them with quick-saves. Even the broad sweep of upgrade options is designed for the long haul, with far too many combinations to max out in one game. It's not a game you'll rush back to for another run through, but there's definitely replayability here for those who value such things.
Okie doke.

Graphically, the emphasis is on consistency and tone rather than showboating. It looks nice - sometimes really, really nice - but if you're worried you'll be missing some state of the art visual trickery if you shunt a few sliders down to "medium" then, rest assured, it's all about effective mood rather than swanky lighting. You'll still need a fairly robust rig to cope with the strain of rendering the larger NPC crowds, but it's not the system hog many feared it would be.
Good. Maybe my PC won't be crying when it tries to run it b/c I barely meet the vid card requirement. :P

While we're on the presentation tip, the music is worthy of special note, with some haunting Celtic instrumentals, while the voice acting ranges from the effective to the, ahem, enthusiastic. Geralt himself talks in a rather off-putting Americanised snarl, a bit like Dirty Harry, while the villagers range from dim Mancunian to Dick Van Dyke cockerney sparras. Dwarves, somewhat inevitably, are Scottish.
Okay...

Well-intentioned clickety combat aside, The Witcher doesn't offer much the dedicated role-player won't have already seen elsewhere, but that's not such a bad thing. CD Projekt has taken time-tested elements from across the fantasy-RPG spectrum and tied them to a solidly crafted story that includes elements of racial discord, religious fanaticism and sexual promiscuity in its adults-only mix. Admittedly, these elements are rather crudely introduced and are handled with a rather endearing "Look! Adult themes!" excitability, but there's certainly more to savour here than in most dungeon-crawlers. One for those who value story and character over technical innovation then, but definitely a game worth trying if the concept has tickled your fancy.
Colour me majorly interested still.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #76 on: Friday, October 26, 2007, 07:58:01 AM »
For a game that seems to have gotten 7/10, it seems very interesting. I might not cancel my preorder, especially after reading that last line. The fact that it has a good story means a lot to me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Friday, October 26, 2007, 08:12:56 AM »
For a game that seems to have gotten 7/10, it seems very interesting.
That's what I'm saying.

I might not cancel my preorder, especially after reading that last line.
I've yet to order it. Probably will....very soon.

The fact that it has a good story means a lot to me.
Same here.

You know, Will Wright can talk about how games don't need stories, but depending on the game-type, especially if it ain't a full-fledged sandbox -- it can really help a game; just look at Planescape or Bioshock, for example. Both great games w/ great stories.

On the other hand, full-fledged sandboxes like The Sims do just fine w/ a lack of story -- since the game gives you so much you can actually do in this ridiculously-sized sandbox, the player basically writes the story himself or herself.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #78 on: Friday, October 26, 2007, 08:20:51 AM »
Yes obviously not every game needs a a story.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #79 on: Friday, October 26, 2007, 08:31:07 AM »
Crapload of Reviews from overseas for The Witcher.

None of those are in English, so you might wanna Babelfish the links from their respective language into English.