Author Topic: Eragon (movie & book)  (Read 6231 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Eragon (movie & book)
« on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 06:44:24 PM »
Anyone seen the movie yet?
Any for those who actually read the book, how was the book, in comparison to the flick?

Okay, I go watch this movie now....

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Eragon (movie & book)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 06:46:14 PM »
I haven't read or seen the book and movie respectively.  However, from what I've read the movie is just terrible and completely butchers the book.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 08:28:02 PM »
I've heard the same.  Game, too.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 08:29:32 PM »
My little nephew is obsessed with the books. But he didn't like the movie really at all.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 08:31:06 PM »
The girl in the movie is hot. That is all.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 08:48:52 PM »
Stories of epic scopes for an actual premise should be told at epic lengths. 1 hr 36 mins just doesn't work for this film. Let me explain.

The plot and character development in this film feels like it moves at a rushed pace. Just as things feel like they are going to develop in actual plot depth and character depth, it is stopped. Suddenly, the plot is pushed ahead way too soon, as it doesn't develop into much plot-depth. And just when the character development begins, suddenly they decide to push the plot ahead too soon.

So, there really is not much characters to even really care for. The only character really developed worth any while is actually Eragon (of course) and Jeremy Irons' character, as he is the most interesting character in the film.

(Spoiler about an event in the film w/ Irons' character....)
(click to show/hide)

As for Eragon himself, eh.....I don't know who this actor is, but his acting skills are definitely not strong enough for to command this role. He drops the ball, never commanding the role like he should. Plus, the Eragon character itself, at least in the movie, is not as interesting as Irons' character, either.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 11:08:56 PM »
I've heard the same.  Game, too.

Me and my buddy were looking for coop games a week or so back and he picked out Eragon for whatever godawful reason. Holy shit, thats the worst game I've played in a while. After about 10 minutes we just stopped. We figured we'd at least play to see if it got better. Nope. In fact, it got worse.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 11:16:13 PM »
My little nephew is obsessed with the books. But he didn't like the movie really at all.
Has to be pretty bad if a kid that loves the books doesn't even like it. Kids love all kinds of shitty movies.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 23, 2007, 07:11:01 AM »
Here's a movie that I was looking forward to, until I saw the reaction of everyone, not just jaded critics.  Holy crap.  No, I have not seen it, and I have no intention to, at least not until it shows up on cable.  (Not even going to spring for a rental.)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 23, 2007, 02:10:04 PM »
Here's a movie that I was looking forward to, until I saw the reaction of everyone, not just jaded critics.  Holy crap.  No, I have not seen it, and I have no intention to, at least not until it shows up on cable.  (Not even going to spring for a rental.)

I didn't want to believe the reviews from critics.
I didn't want to believe some of my friends who saw it that said it was bad.

Guess what? They were right.

But, God -- miscasting the lead character that bad was just so horrible. He's supposed to be the most important character in the film, yet he never acts like it. He's just "there..."

I dunno', but I think a cardboard cutout of this actor would've been more capable in this role than this actor was...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 24, 2007, 12:42:13 AM »
Why didn't you want to believe? Are you a big fan of the book(s)?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, March 24, 2007, 06:26:16 AM »
Why didn't you want to believe?
B/c, I wanted another good fantasy movie.
And, I liked the trailer.

Quote from: Puggy
Are you a big fan of the book(s)?

I think my line from the beginning of the thread might help.... :P

Quote from: MyD
Any for those who actually read the book, how was the book, in comparison to the flick?

I think my wording should indicate that I ain't read the books, since I'm asking "how was the book?" :P
Namely, since I ain't read the book. :P

I don't read too many books these days, Puggy, BTW.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, March 24, 2007, 11:00:13 AM »
Maybe you were wanting to see what others thought of the book as well? :P :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, March 24, 2007, 01:23:50 PM »
Maybe you were wanting to see what others thought of the book as well? :P :P

Yes, but I would've probably compared the book and the movie, if I been through both. :P

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, March 24, 2007, 11:41:24 PM »
i fucking hated this movie soooo much... i hated the guy who played Eragon. fuck, i hated him more than Anakin Skywalker and thats saying alot. I give this movie a 1/10 and thats only cause the chick was hot. the end.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, March 25, 2007, 05:55:22 PM »
i hated the guy who played Eragon.
He was terrible.

fuck, i hated him more than Anakin Skywalker and thats saying alot.
Sheesh....At least Hayden Christensen can act -- see Shattered Glass, for what I mean.

The kid in Eragon was just awful; period.

I give this movie a 1/10 and thats only cause the chick was hot. the end.
LOL!

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, March 25, 2007, 06:30:12 PM »
if I saw this post earlier, i would've told you not to waste your time.  It sucked.
Taken.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Monday, March 26, 2007, 08:06:48 AM »
He was terrible.
Sheesh....At least Hayden Christensen can act -- see Shattered Glass, for what I mean.

The kid in Eragon was just awful; period.
LOL!

The Eragon character pissed me off soooo much.

Eragon: I totally had this dream where this princess was like "come rescue me". I am going to go rescue her.

Jeremy Irons: Listen kid, I am way older and way smarter than you. This is a trap. The princess is being held by a powerful sorcerer and a city full of guards. Plus, little girls could probably kick your ass. Additionally, the princess is expendable while you represent the last remaining hope of freedom. You better not go.

Eragon's dragon: I am an ancient and wise dragon and I agree with that assessment. Also, if Jeremy Irons tells you to do something you better fucking do it.

Eragon: Screw you guys! I'm going!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #18 on: Monday, March 26, 2007, 12:09:44 PM »
I heard that the dragon was the best character in the movie, in terms of acting.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Monday, March 26, 2007, 03:33:22 PM »
I heard that the dragon was the best character in the movie, in terms of acting.

As bad as the movie was, Jeremy Irons was pretty good.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, April 04, 2007, 03:11:31 AM »
even my youngest cousin hated it.  He liked the book and was really excited to see the movie.. Poor kid.
Taken.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, April 04, 2007, 05:41:28 PM »
Here's what I've heard:

The movie sucks...but so does the book.  Is that an excuse as to why the movie sucks?  Not at all, but it does shed a bit of light on the weak ass character development and all that jazz.  I was reading a thread on digg, and it seemd that everyone who posted that loved the book was also an idiot (aparent from the way they talked and posting history).  That makes me conclude that they're either a child or have the literacy level of a child.  In short, rational adults probably can't take their opinion seriously. 

I haven't read the book, but it seems the big deal about it was it was written by an 18 year old.  I've heard it's basically Star Wars set in Middle Earth, and while that may sound cool, it's pretty lame in execution due to the simplcity of the whole thing.  Pretty much all the praise I've heard is that it's a good children's book or it's a book written by a writer with talent who just happens to be 18 and doesn't quite get that people often want to read something a bit more original.

Again, I haven't read it, but the whole thing sounds pretty shitty to me.  It certainly doesn't seem like any sort of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe or Harry Potter.