Author Topic: [Music] Needs more horns  (Read 3332 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
[Music] Needs more horns
« on: Monday, March 26, 2007, 10:35:02 PM »
Notice how most music seems to lack horns? Its all guitars, drums, and maybe a keyboard. Needs more sax, trumpet, and trombone.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: [Music] Needs more horns
« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 26, 2007, 11:04:35 PM »
Listen to more ska.  When I was in my early teens it was hard to find music in my general rotation that *didn't* have horns.

EDIT - Get this CD.  And absolutely get this one.  Loudflower isn't really ska, and Five Iron Frenzy is more... ska-punk... but I think you'd like both.  Five Iron Frenzy also happens to be hilarious, though their newer music kind of blows.  But that album and this one are both awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 26, 2007, 11:13:10 PM »
Sweet, I'll have to check them out.

I was just listening to a few select Fatboy Slim songs and realized I liked the ones with a lot of horns...kind of stood out since they seem to get little use in modern music.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 26, 2007, 11:15:10 PM »
Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, and Less than Jake all have enough horns to kill a man.  The ska and sometimes punk scene has a ton of saxophones, trombones, bosstones, trumpets, and the occasional tuba.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 26, 2007, 11:25:15 PM »
I never liked the Bosstones much, but I used to listen to a ton of Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake.  And like a million others.  I was very much into the ska/punk scene being that I was dating a girl from southern California.  It was awesome.  Like $2 to go see a show with 15 bands.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 26, 2007, 11:30:50 PM »
I used to listen and still occasionally do listen to Less Than Jake.  When the Warped Tour was in its prime it was awesome paying like $20 to go to an all day concert and see dozens of punk and ska bands.  Less Than Jake, NOFX, and The Suicide Machines put on a hell of show.  Sadly the Warped Tour has turned into an ugly beast since the 2001 show and there's more cookie cutter poppy punk bands than anything now.

I remember at the 2000 show I met Roger from Less than Jake at his booth where they were selling shirts and stuff, I was wearing a Pac-Man shirt and he said "Cool shirt.", I realized who he was as I turned to him and talked to him for a bit, then he invited me inside this little tent they had set up for the roadies and crew and we sat down and talked for like an hour about all kinds of shit, mostly games, while he kept handing me Gatorade bottles, due to the 104 degree heat, he seemed like a really cool guy.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Monday, March 26, 2007, 11:35:34 PM »
Bosstones are great, if you ask me.  If you haven't heard of the Dropkick Murphy's either, then check them out.  They use a bunch of stuff to get the Irish punk sound.  I don't like them too much, but they're from Boston so they're all I hear about up here.  A lot of other punk stuff uses that, but most of it sucks.  There's some good stuff like NOFX, but then there are 100 other shitty bands trying to copy that one.

Also, I'd check out the Dave Matthews Band.  I never liked them until I got stoned, so that may be a prerequisite, but they have some really great live stuff.  They release tons of official live albums and they blow the studio albums away because most of their songs just branch out into 5-30 minute jams with like 9 or 10 instruments.  A lot of the time they'll play with other fairly well-known guest musicians which is where they get all the instruments.  The official live release of their Boston show at Fenway Park is fucking great -- they were in top form those two nights.

EDIT: How could I forget Sublime?  They nailed the ska/rock blend so well you're almost guaranteed to like it.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2007, 07:29:36 AM »
I'm telling you guys. Get Sufan Stevens "Illinoise" album. Best album in years imo.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2007, 07:45:25 AM »
Voodoo Glow Skulls!!

Awesome band. Lots of horns.

Their myspace

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2007, 02:29:56 PM »
I like We're Not Happy Til You're Not Happy by Reel Big Fish. It has a much more rock sound than the rest of their stuff. Like poom said, if you're not into ska check out Dave Matthews Band, especially live. Alternative rock kind of sound, but filled with horns. Bruce Springsteen is good too, but that's just sax.