Author Topic: Another patent story. This time NVIDIA is on the receiving end.  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Another patent story. This time NVIDIA is on the receiving end.
« on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 10:58:45 AM »
linky

Scanner Technologies Announces Patent Infringement Suit Against nVidia Corporation
MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 18, 2006--Scanner Technologies (OTCBB:SCNI) today announced it has filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas against nVidia Corporation claiming willful and deliberate infringement of U.S. Patents numbered 7,079,678 and 7,085,411 which disclose methods of three-dimensional inspection that allow ball grid array ("BGA") devices to be manufactured more precisely and efficiently.

U.S. Patent 7,079,678, which is assigned to Scanner Technologies, is entitled "Electronic Component Products Made According to a Process that Includes a Method for Three Dimensional Inspection" and discloses a patented process which is directed to a step in the manufacture of a BGA device.

U.S. Patent 7,085,411, also assigned to Scanner Technologies, is entitled "Method of Manufacturing Electronic Components Including a Method for Three Dimensional Inspection," discloses a method of manufacturing a BGA device.

The complaint alleges that nVidia has sold and/or is presently selling throughout the United States infringing BGA devices that are covered by one or more claims of the Scanner Patents. The complaint also alleges that nVidia has induced others to infringe. These BGA devices are a component in graphics cards, motherboards, computers, video game consoles, cell phones and handheld devices that are sold in the United States.

In addition to requesting preliminary and permanent injunctions, the complaint asks the court to award Scanner all damages it is entitled to recover, including reasonable royalties on infringing products, treble damages and attorneys' fees.

Elwin Beaty, President and CEO of Scanner Technologies stated "Scanner has been developing, manufacturing and selling vision equipment for the semiconductor industry since 1990. We believe that it is critical to protect our patented innovations, and accordingly took these actions today."

About Scanner Technologies Corporation:

Scanner is a New Mexico corporation that invents, develops and markets vision inspection products that are used in the semiconductor industry for the inspection of integrated circuits. Scanner's headquarters are located in Minneapolis, Minnesota and has a manufacturing facility in Tempe, Arizona. Scanner's stock is traded on the Over-The-Counter Bulletin Board under the symbol "SCNI." For more information please visit www.scannertech.com.

Seriously, fuck this shit. How the hell are companies expected to do anything without stepping on some jackass patent?

You know recently Nintendo and Sony had to settle out of court with some small company that had a patent on motion sensors used for entertainment.

Bloody hell.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Another patent story. This time NVIDIA is on the receiving end.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 11:17:10 AM »
Patent law's purpose was to encourage invention and creativity by protecting the inventor.  I think it's clear by now that, if anything, patent laws stifle innovation.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 11:23:39 AM »
The idea is sound.  The execution is so piss-poor that you're right.  Imagine trying to invent something new in your garage.  You have no battery of lawyers, and chances are some screw in your invention turns clockwise or something, infringing on bullshit patent #zillion-and-one.  You lose your shirt to a lawsuit, and your invention gets owned by the predators, or it never sees the light of day.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 08:00:54 PM »
Yeah, it's absolutely ridiculous.  This shit needs to stop.  Scott hit the nail on the head.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 11:16:37 PM »
The problem isn't patents themselves, it's patent lawyers and the patent office not doing what they're susposed to be doing.  I'm pretty sure I've said this in every patent post, but you're susposed to have very very detailed schematics and technical descriptions on what your patent does, how it differs from other (usually pre-existing or common use) products, and basically have every single aspect of it mapped out in plain detail.  If your patent isn't specific enough (say patent a seatbelt as a 'automobile restraint device" and it doesn't get filed.  The problem is that patent lawyers hire experts and take simple processes and explain them in a vague enough way so that they can apply to many similair processes that do the same thing.  The patent office officials usually don't have enough knowledge of that specific aspect of that specific field to properly recognize this and a lot of shit slips through that shouldn't.

I don't know anything about this technology or really anything to do with it, so I can't comment on it at all.  As for the Immersion Technology patent cases, Nintendo was never sued.  Originally they used their self-developed rumble technology, and then later moved on to technology they licenced from Immersion.   Microsoft and Sony were both accused of patent infringement.  MS settled out of court, and Sony lost the case.  It isn't something like "oh this controller rumbles....we patented that!"  It's more of exactly how it's done, and from what I've read, the case with Sony is that it's a direct violation....not something that could be construed as they just developed a very similair technology...they almost blatently ripped it off.  I'm not an expert, I don't know for sure, but that's what I've read.

Anyways, yeah patent law is getting somewhat ridiculous, but it's not nearly as bad as most people on the internet seem to think it is.  Cobra, however, has an excellent example of patents which should not exist with his flashing curser story.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 19, 2006, 01:43:27 PM »
Ah, yes, the infamous patent on XOR cursors. Using the boolean operator XOR (exclusive-OR) to merge one set of data with another has the unique property that when you do it a 2nd time, you get back what you started with.  This made it ideal in primitive computers to XOR the cursor on the screen, then XOR it a 2nd time in the same position to remove it.  Then you would update the cursor's position, and XOR it on the screen again.  This process is obvious to anyone who understands binary computers and boolean logic.  To patent this process is like patenting the process of driving nails into wood with a hammer.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 19, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »
Yeah, it's absolutely ridiculous.  This shit needs to stop.  Scott hit the nail on the head.

I'm sorry sir, but hitting nails on the head is protected by patent #3,543,621, #385,251,306 and stopping shit is patented under #4,569,831 and the use of both phrases in conjunction is an infringement on patent 8,569,235.  Please refrain from the useage of such terms in the future.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 19, 2006, 07:28:42 PM »
Okay, let's see if I can say something unusual enough to not be under patent protection:

I are in angriness over muchly silly patenty boogles.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野